Too Much Slash?

PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Slash?

Andrew C. S.
04-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I might get flamed for this, but has anyone else been kind of annoyed by how much exposure Slash is getting. I'm not dissing him or anything, and I think he is a great guitarist. It's just that he's everywhere; UG, Guitar Center, even the Seattle rock station had a "Slash Radio Takeover" for about a week! I just don't really get it. Is his album that good? What's the dealio?

salgala2000
04-28-2010, 07:53 PM
His album is pretty good. He is just kind of like a rock icon. I'm not agreeing or dissagreeing with you by the way.... But in the words of Geddy Lee : If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice :)

Headcrusher!
04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm thinking the same, but I suppose you'd have to listen to his new album first to then judge the amount of exposure he's getting.

And I suppose he's just doing good business as well, I mean advertising on UG and radio is the logical way too push album sales isn't it? XD

gab4554
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Hes an Icon...

1 hes a great guitarist that bring cool stuff to music that others didnt...
2 Guitar Hero did help him alot also
3 Yes He's a little bit overrated IMO but I dont care with the "exposure" its not like if he was making bad music. He makes good music so its cool even if im not a fan of him

KenG
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't begrudge the man some fame. This good fortune has happened to others in the past and will again in the future. It is fleeting and someday it will be gone. Look at Carlos Santanna, a few years ago he was everywhere for a while now he's faded back into the general background.

Burgery
04-28-2010, 08:00 PM
IMO he is overrated as ****, but thats just me.

I dont think i can be one to judge, i hated his new album.

-xCaMRocKx-
It's just advertising. I'd much rather see advertising for Slash than for a lot of other 'artists.'

Which reminds me, I really must pick up his new album, I keep forgetting.

jeffbecklad
Never heard the guy, for one thing. Yeah the UG campaign for him is a little annoying (I can see the headlines now: Slash Likes Playing Guitar) but they are on a joint commercial venture. I'm glad he's inspiring a new generation of guitarists though.

Venice King
04-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah, he's not worth all this attention for sure.

But he's made some kind of deal with UG, he mentions them, they mention him. :shrug:

HonestIain
04-28-2010, 09:43 PM
He has a good PR firm working for him. You can't blame him for that.
I'd rather see Slash, a guitarist I respect advertised everywhere than someone lame.

aig91
04-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Slash is awesome. There is no such thing as "too much Slash". That's blasphemy!

RHunterGN
04-29-2010, 03:44 PM
1 hes a great guitarist that bring cool stuff to music that others didnt...

I'm going to have to say no....his style isn't anything all that new. Nor was it when he first appeared on the scene. I'm not saying he's bad, I'm saying he isn't anything special. Outside of the famous riffs from Guns and Roses, he really didn't contribute much. I mean, sure he may have inspired many people, but do we really need MORE Slash posers?

diofan88
04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Don't you remember when you were 14 and thought he was awesome too???

think of the majority of this sites users

crazygnr1996
04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
a lot of people just really like his music, whys that so hard to understand? Does anyone really listen to a piece of music and judge it by how defining or revolutionary it is? I couldnt give two dog shits to be honest, if it sounds good i listen to it. In Slash's case, it generally sounds amazing. His soloing and riffs are unmatched IN MY MIND. we all have different opinions :) Every guitar player reaches someone else on a different level.

KenG
04-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Some of his (Slash) solos were really well done, very melodic & memorable and not just about showing off! Too many young people today are too fixated simply on speed without musical content) He basically is responsible for the rebirth of popularity of the Les Paul style of guitar (more than Zakk Wilde I think but he's great too) after Eddie Van Halen made Strat or Super-Strat style guitars king! Eddie is in my opinion is the first real, great shredder and re-inventer of guitar style for the 3-piece rock band).

aerosmith513
04-30-2010, 08:54 PM
He was the reason i picked up guitar, i love him more than just because he did SCOM, I just bought tix to see him in September but i agree its getting out of hand, there is too much exposer, he is great but he isn't that great.

concho_valen
04-30-2010, 09:02 PM
naah we cant have enought slash yet

ChucklesMginty
05-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Don't you remember when you were 14 and thought he was awesome too???

Exactly, and what am I to say I've outgrown him just because he's become more popular? I'm not so much into GN'R as I used to be, but he's been a huge inspiration for me and loads of others. Quite frankly, better him than some d-bag from a pop-punk group. We're lucky to have a proper rock legend on the face of things.

fivepointnine
05-04-2010, 06:08 AM
I like slash and all, but in my opinion his new album is a yawner