Modern Day Music

PDA

View Full Version : Modern Day Music

little_wing_14
04-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Does anyone else feel that all this new "mainstream" music in general is complete shit?
like seriously all you need is a computer and someone who can market the hell out of you.
Im sorry if you enjoy this music but its depressing... look at the top 100 tabs... why am i seeing songs from Justin Beiber, Lady Gagga Kesha, train... that stupid song fireflies was even on there... I know Im asking for alotta negative comments on this but seriously... good hard rock music with killer riffs are getting harder to come by... sure its there but its not getting appreciated like it once was....

romencer17
04-28-2010, 11:05 PM
there's a lot of good modern music that's not "mainstream".

Only takes a little curiosity to find it.

-tempest-
04-28-2010, 11:12 PM
his point is that all the good music being made isn't getting recognition and i agree with him for the most part

little_wing_14
04-28-2010, 11:13 PM
oh i know its there... but it's definately being overshadowed by this new era of music thats computer generated... dubbed and fake... when u see ABBA get inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame over the chillis....Rush... and countless other fantastic bands... you know things are going downhill

romencer17
04-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Most of it is getting recognition.... Unless by "getting recognition" you mean you want it to be played on tv and on the radio. In which case, most casual mainstream listeners do not deserve to hear good music if they can't bother to look for it but simply wait for it to be shown to them.

psorgatz
04-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Cash rules everything, and in these days, it doesn't take talent to make money off of music

Doodleface
04-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Cash rules everything, and in these days, it doesn't take talent to make money off of music

Cash, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
C.R.E.A.M.
Get the money
Dollar, dollar bill y'all!

It's true though.
Hundreds of thousands of people share your opinion. There is a lot of GOOD and ORIGINAL (not always mutually exclusive) modern music. My suggestions:
Porcupine Tree
The Flower Kings
MGMT
Tool
Florence and the Machine
Gorillaz

AlterEdge
04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I agree. I despise all this pop and rap and country music that seems to be far to popular right now.

There are good modern bands though with hard rock riffs and killer solo's. Alter Bridge is #1.

I also enjoy Muse very much. There is hope but we just have to soldier on.

Suffrin
04-28-2010, 11:21 PM
My lord, last time I looked at top 100 it was mostly good stuff, with Stairway to Heaven at the top where it should be, but now... Oh god what's wrong with the world. The stuff these days is so boring and meaningless. No thought, no emotion.

psorgatz
04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
If you want some really good music, with really good guitar, check out RX Bandits, especially their album "Mandala" Excellent stuff. Or "The Ocean and the Sun" by The Sound of Animals Fighting. That album is epic.

kinah2
04-30-2010, 04:42 AM
his point is that all the good music being made isn't getting recognition and i agree with him for the most part

TasianSensation
05-02-2010, 03:12 AM
You need to recognize that people don't all have the same tastes, and many people like pop music. There are also guitarists who pick up the instrument to be able to play recognizable songs that people will know, hence the "crap" music being in the top 100.
Not everyone likes killer riffs, classic rock, and guitar solos. Some people are completely content with a nice, easy, catchy melody over a few simple chords.

Bottom line: People have different tastes, learn to deal with it.

Also, there are modern bands with good guitar work. Like others have said, a lot of it doesn't get played on mainstream radio and you need to search for it. Personally, I prefer the catchy melody and simple chords to a bunch of riffs and guitar solos, so I can't really name any bands for you. However, check out Muse, Wolfmother, The Raconteurs (or The Saboteurs as they're known in Australia), Coheed and Cambria (don't knock them just because of A Favor House Atlantic), John Mayer Trio for some nice bluesy rock, Biffy Clyro (seriously, check them out. Here are a couple videos of them: Video 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDmeMjsV35U), video 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxUb9Yzr1sE), video 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYZwiYWr-Jw)), and Foo Fighters.

nashawa
05-02-2010, 03:54 AM
My lord, last time I looked at top 100 it was mostly good stuff, with Stairway to Heaven at the top where it should be, but now... Oh god what's wrong with the world. The stuff these days is so boring and meaningless. No thought, no emotion.
Mainstream music has always been crap. There was Pat Boone, KC and The Sunshine Band (and all of disco), WHAM, Backstreet Boys, etc...

Every era had it's crappy mainstream tunes.

This era is no different. I'm so sick of people being "oh no, there's no good music anymore :(". For christ sakes, yes there is. If you people would stop living in whichever era you deem to have the best musical innovation and actually look for new music, then you wouldn't be disappointed. People who bitch about music being crap nowadays are just lazy. Simple as that.

D.A.treat
05-02-2010, 07:46 AM
I can't take listening to the mainstream radio stations. There's so much crap it ****ing kills me.
One played out cliche on top of another passing for song writing.

So to find new music, I read reviews, listen to people I respect and check it out on the web first. There's plenty of good stuff out there still.

heart_shapdbox
05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm 15 years old.
I agree , lady gaga , justin bieber , britney spears , keisha .. there voices sound all exactly the same , not pure but made by computers and synthesizers. Listen to : ozzy osbourne , bob dylan , jack white , axl rose , kurt cobain , johnny cash ! there voices are all different but so pure and beautiful. There music isn't made for the money , it's made with f*cking love.
~thanks .

Opossum
05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm 15 years old.
I agree , lady gaga , justin bieber , britney spears , keisha .. there voices sound all exactly the same , not pure but made by computers and synthesizers. Listen to : ozzy osbourne , bob dylan , jack white , axl rose , kurt cobain , johnny cash ! there voices are all different but so pure and beautiful. There music isn't made for the money , it's made with f*cking love.
~thanks .

Yes that is absolutly true .. Now days all people care about is looks with no Talent what so ever so the finetune your voice with computers to make you sound better.... Not like the old days when there was REAL talent...Don't get me wrong there still is some good modern music out there But lazy ppl don't look for it... Thats the only problem I have with todays music ..people with real talent get shoved aside because of looks and people that Can't sing and look good get a record deal and just fine tune your voice so yes alot of the music today sounds somewhat the same due to Synths.. and other computer technology

heart_shapdbox
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Yes that is absolutly true .. Now days all people care about is looks with no Talent what so ever so the finetune your voice with computers to make you sound better.... Not like the old days when there was REAL talent...Don't get me wrong there still is some good modern music out there But lazy ppl don't look for it... Thats the only problem I have with todays music ..people with real talent get shoved aside because of looks and people that Can't sing and look good get a record deal and just fine tune your voice so yes alot of the music today sounds somewhat the same due to Synths.. and other computer technology

Yeah that's true there are still people with talent and they get shoved aside.
But that's also the reason that i hate Idols and Xfactor , they give people a chance to get famous ''that's okay'' . But all those poor people who wanna get famous on that kind of shows are famous for one single .. and then they push them away.. 'cause they have money and that's what they want.

\m/(-_-)\m/
05-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Mainstream music has always been crap. There was Pat Boone, KC and The Sunshine Band (and all of disco), WHAM, Backstreet Boys, etc...

Every era had it's crappy mainstream tunes.

This era is no different. I'm so sick of people being "oh no, there's no good music anymore :(". For christ sakes, yes there is. If you people would stop living in whichever era you deem to have the best musical innovation and actually look for new music, then you wouldn't be disappointed. People who bitch about music being crap nowadays are just lazy. Simple as that.

This.

People always had to search beyond mainstream music to find those amazing bands that people still love today. Nothing has changed, really.

Edit: There's a few mainstream artists that actually quite tolerable though. I listen to a few.

nashawa
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Auto-tune has been around for a loooong time. And all those people with "REAL talent" would take multiple takes and splice them together. It's really no different now than it's ever been.

Damascus
05-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I realise this is a guitar website, so it's going to be baised towards hard-rockin' riffs and killer solos and whatnot, but I don't personally find music with an emphasis on either of those particularly interesting.

I do like good music with (guitar) riffs and (guitar) solos, but not really anymore than I like good music with really interesting synthesised rhythms or textures, or great wordplay over original-sounding beats, or even solo-and-riffless guitar music. Radiohead are probably my favourite band and if you're looking for mainstream music with a heavy focus on guitars (most of the time...) that doesn't repeat the riff/solo theme, then they've got that.

A good reason why there's so little of the kind of music you're describing around is that it's been done before. Every single potential rock riff, solo and chord progression obviously hasn't been used, but writing stuff in that style seems to me a bit like rearranging a set of blocks with only three or four colours - sure, you can make new patterns that're kindof interesting, but I'd rather go and look at arrangements of blocks that had more than just those colours. I mean, to an extent, that's what Muse are doing - I don't really like them, but they're playing big riffs and so on, but there's heavy electronic influence/synth use etc. there.

Rock music is such a tiny portion of all the available music out there - and hard rock (or any rock subgenre) obviously even less so.

EDIT: People were complaining in exactly the same way as this when rock came in to the mainstream - just like they would've when jazz started getting some of the kind of respect that had previously been reserved for classical music. Hell, rock people were complaining when it became 'hard'. There's great music in almost every genre I've ever looked into, and there's no need to throw out anything from the past just because something new comes along, but there's also definitely no need to keep rehashing tired formulas instead of finding out what's good about what's happening now, and listening to it, or bringing that in as a influence if you write.

lespaul1216
05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
by your attitude and the way you worded this i'm guessing you're 13? 14?

SeeEmilyPlay
05-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Can someone let me know if my bands stuff is mainstream crap? Seriously I want to know if it's too stereotypical/cliche whatever or if its good stuff....I know there is still good music out there you just have to find it. Unfortunately mainstream scoops up shnit music a lot of the time. What can you do?

www.purevolume.com/siliconefeelings
www.myspace.com/siliconefeelings
Thanks!