TAB Songwriting Contest Thread V2

PDA

View Full Version : TAB Songwriting Contest Thread V2

thorbor
04-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Up and running again :)

Since The Arsis doesn't have the time anymore to keep up with the contest, I'll hereby open up a new thread so that we can keep track of the contestants and their points.

The rules are pretty simple:

Phase 1: We wait until we have 20 contestants. If you'd like to join, just check if there are any open spots in the list and post in this thread.

Phase 2: If the contest is ready to start, all contestants have 7 days of time to submit a piece in a designated submission thread. You can submit every piece you have written, that means you don't need to write songs especially for this contest. It's also possible to post songs that have been used already in this contest.

Phase 3: After the submission phase, I'll open up 4 battlegroups and the voting begins. When the winners are declared in the main thread here, phase one starts again since you will be kicked out if you don't have any piece to submit.

The point system is pretty much self explanatory

List of Contestants:
1: thorbor IIII
2: Life is Brutal
3: DiminishedFifth I
4: MapOfYourHead I
5: JazzDeath IIII
6: SOADisdabest
7: MetaIronForce
8: Limaj_daas
9: YoungViking

honorable mentions:
huevos II
XianXiuHong I
Burning_Angel II
ShredFast I
Magero IIII
JSSynister III
icronic I
samlocke14 I
RedDeath9 III
diamond.joker I

And of course The Arsis for starting this Contest in the first place :cheers:

If you run out of songs but may consider joining the contest again on a later occasion, I'll save any points here.

DiminishedFifth
04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
*stickys*

Haha thanks for the crit man!

I'm gonna go ahead and enter again xD I'll enter another old song since I have no way of writing new ones right now.

Hopefully ya'll aren't sick of hearing it!

|_JR_|
04-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Damn, I didn't even vote this week... had such a chaotic time at uni. But anyway, I'm writing comments right now. And I have a week off now, so I should have the chance to finish my current work-in-progress by then (some prog... something. it has a lot of different stuff in it).

MapOfYourHead
04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
^I'm the same. My final year exams are starting next week.

I'll try to get something together for the comp regardless.

I'm also slowly rising up the leaderboards. For the first few comps I came third, now I'm joint second. It's only a matter of time before I win something... :haha:

The Arsis
04-30-2010, 06:57 PM
I deleted the old one.

xbitmetal
05-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I am in.

thorbor
05-01-2010, 08:15 AM
alright, 5 spots left.

YoungViking
05-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Do I have to sign up again? Or am i already in?

thorbor
05-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Do I have to sign up again? Or am i already in?I put everyone from the last thread on the list again so, yes, you're in.

JFACB
05-02-2010, 12:20 PM
i want in

thorbor
05-02-2010, 12:46 PM
i want in
alright, you're on the list now

4 SPOTS LEFT

JazzDeath
05-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Finally, I didn't win the last one =P.

sorry guys for not having the time to review everyone's pieces, I still have to listen to a lot of em =(

Squares
05-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Ooo mememe. Do i have to compose a new song? or can i use one of my old ones

MapOfYourHead
05-02-2010, 02:41 PM
You can use whatever you want, as long as you wrote it.

Squares
05-02-2010, 02:52 PM
then count me in.

just tell me where to post

MapOfYourHead
05-02-2010, 02:57 PM
The submission thread isn't up yet.

thorbor
05-03-2010, 02:56 PM
hey guys, I ****ed up my comp again and I probably wont be online that often the next days.
don't worry though, I'll keep it running. It ould just take a while until I add any new contestants to the lists, but I will be sure to post the submission thread in time.

thorbor
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
*bump for more contestants*

alright, comp is working again now, gotta start writing my songs :)

xbitmetal
05-05-2010, 04:58 PM
it's 3+!

ultrasonic
05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Is it too late to join :( I never really have the time to enter these, but have gotten to the point when i can spurn out a song in like 1 hour, so Ima Gon Enter :D

13thCrucifix
05-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi. Never entered one of these before :/
Hope to win ;)

The Arsis
05-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I like to enter.

thorbor
05-06-2010, 08:31 AM
oh, I think I made a mistake here. with "comp is working again" I was referring to my machine, not the competition :)

@13thCrucifix
you have to wait for the submission thread to post your piece but I'll add you to the list nonetheless.

alright, the submission phase will start on monday and the individual battelgroups will be posted the week after.
I make to notify everyone that the contest has picked up again.

also, it's about time that you enter yourself, arsis :D

Magero
05-09-2010, 08:45 PM
I've been stuck without a computer that has both GP and the internet since the last contest pretty much. It's kinda annoying, but I haven't had any finished songs ready to upload lately anyway.
Glad I got an honourable mention :cool:

RedDeath9
05-10-2010, 12:36 AM
I couldn't think of any other place to post this...

But...

JR and JazzDeath should do a collaboration.

thorbor
05-10-2010, 08:22 AM
I've been stuck without a computer that has both GP and the internet since the last contest pretty much. It's kinda annoying, but I haven't had any finished songs ready to upload lately anyway.
Glad I got an honourable mention :cool:wel, it's to save your points in case you want to join in again.

anyway, submission thread is open http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24075441

JazzDeath
05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Hmm. I'd definitely like to work on a collaboration with JR there's no question there :P.

Actually a collaboration in general is something I miss doing - I haven't written anything that wasn't band oriented in a long while, might be nice to compose something a little more freely again =).

|_JR_|
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
What's this, I go to college for one day and people starting talking about collaborations behind my back? :p:

I'd totally do it, never actually been in a collaboration before, and it being with Jazz is just extra motivation, but my composing time is so limited... :( we can try though, gimme a ring on MSN when I'm on. ;)

|_JR_|
05-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Super Mario bump!

Actually I just wanted to say that RedDeath's piece is pure awesomeness and I'm proud to be listed as an influence. :D

huevos
05-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Oh Jesus, yes. RedDeath's song is godly. It's the culmination of everything that I love in music, truly the peak point of awesomeness.

EDIT: Didn't listen to diamond.joker's till right now. Reminds me a bit of Russian Circles here and there. Great piece yet again sir.

thorbor
05-17-2010, 02:15 PM
dammit, UG hates me, wont let me post the threads without bitching around.

thorbor
05-21-2010, 06:09 PM
damn guys, what's up with this forum lately? this place is getting slower and slower over the past months.

|_JR_|
05-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Life is merciless man. I can't even get around to do some promised crits. :(

or write a new song. :sad:

thorbor
05-23-2010, 05:51 AM
guys, if noone is commenting nor even voting we can stop this shit already.

MapOfYourHead
05-23-2010, 08:48 AM
It is a pretty sad state of affairs.

huevos
06-01-2010, 05:43 AM
I think it may be time to let it go.

T&C has never been high traffic, but there's hardly any new songs. And it's already been over a week since anyone has posted in this thread.

Let bygones be bygones.
It was great while it lasted, but like all good things, it had to come to an end.

I could keep throwing cliches out there for ya. Is that whatyou would like?

thorbor
06-02-2010, 05:35 AM
it's not about the traffic or the new songs, it's about 15 people in here not dropping any comments at all.

JazzDeath
06-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately I had no motivation to invest my time into this at this part of my life, I am much too busy.

Sorry guys.

The Arsis
06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't know thorbor. Maybe you should just give this thing a rest for a long period of time and wait until newer blood come and people have more pieces to contribute. Sometimes things just need a break. If you keep continuing this thing, people will get tired and bored of the contest. They probably already have....

I think it's time to give the contest its well deserved rest but once again, it's your choice. I like to add that you did a great job with the contest.

thorbor
06-02-2010, 04:34 PM
yeah, I'll keep it in hold until some people want to open it up again. A lot of people great songwriters dropped out because they didn't have any pieces to turn in, I hope they'll come back to it. I'll edit the OP this weekend.

Life Is Brutal
07-27-2010, 02:51 PM
I think Ill join again in September. Ive worked on my writing, and have a few songs done.

So I hope to enter then. :p:

thorbor
07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I think Ill join again in September. Ive worked on my writing, and have a few songs done.

So I hope to enter then. :p:
it depends on the rest of the forum, we need more people to revive it again.

DiminishedFifth
07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm down for that. I've got 2 new songs on the board (1 I've got to finish) and I'm working on another one.

thorbor
07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
ok, let's see how many people are willing to join

MapOfYourHead
07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
I'll stay in.

I was actually going to bring this up after the hardcore comp had finished, as having two going at the same time only takes possible entrants away from one of them.

You also never updated the honourable mention list with my joint 1st place entry with RedDeath9 :mad:

thorbor
07-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I'll stay in.

I was actually going to bring this up after the hardcore comp had finished, as having two going at the same time only takes possible entrants away from one of them.

You also never updated the honourable mention list with my joint 1st place entry with RedDeath9 :mad:
mh? did I forget something?

MapOfYourHead
07-28-2010, 04:27 PM
What does mh stand for?

thorbor
07-28-2010, 08:08 PM
What does mh stand for?
just the sound *mh* :haha:

MapOfYourHead
07-28-2010, 08:46 PM
:haha:

You just never updated for the last comp.

Anyway, if/when this gets started again, there's bound to be a way to get more coverage so more people get invovled. There were plently of worthy songs floating about the forum during the last few compititions before it was packed in, and there is even more now.

thorbor
07-28-2010, 08:55 PM
:haha:

You just never updated for the last comp.

Anyway, if/when this gets started again, there's bound to be a way to get more coverage so more people get invovled. There were plently of worthy songs floating about the forum during the last few compititions before it was packed in, and there is even more now.
from what I've seen lately, the forum is going downhill. It almost feels like all the great songwriters left.
one year ago, pieces regularly blew me mind but I don't see this happening anymore.

DiminishedFifth
07-28-2010, 10:48 PM
from what I've seen lately, the forum is going downhill. It almost feels like all the great songwriters left.
one year ago, pieces regularly blew me mind but I don't see this happening anymore.
Well... Me, Zak, Progbass and JR are here... I dunno if I count as one of those songwriters, but all 4 of us have been here for years now. There are some really good ones... they probably just need something to spur it out of them (a.k.a. competition).

JazzDeath
07-29-2010, 02:54 AM
I got like, 8 pieces ready, just say the word.

SOADisdabest
07-29-2010, 02:58 AM
I've got a few more songs written so I wouldn't mind entering again.

thorbor
07-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Well... Me, Zak, Progbass and JR are here... I dunno if I count as one of those songwriters, but all 4 of us have been here for years now. There are some really good ones... they probably just need something to spur it out of them (a.k.a. competition).
yeah, but that's alls pretty much melodic/prog/#core/that kind of stuff. I'd like to see more blues/funkrock though.

no offense, but usually pieces of jazzdeath, reddeath, JR and you are always a great listne, but I can't relate to them.

DiminishedFifth
07-29-2010, 08:31 AM
yeah, but that's alls pretty much melodic/prog/#core/that kind of stuff. I'd like to see more blues/funkrock though.

no offense, but usually pieces of jazzdeath, reddeath, JR and you are always a great listne, but I can't relate to them.
Only person in those genre's I've ever seen here do them good was icronic, but he also stopped hanging around the MT, so I don't know what happened to him.

None taken. Can't please everybody all of the time!

Life Is Brutal
08-02-2010, 07:51 PM
"You better put a helmet on, cuz Im about to BLOW YOUR MIND."

But nah, not really.

JazzDeath blew my mind once or twice.

So I decided to write a Jazz/Death metal song. :p:

Limaj_daas
08-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Holy crap, I forgot about this thread... And this forum might have gone downhill in the short run, but in the long run it certainly hasn't. I visited this forum since 06 to get ideas and there weren't a lot of posters posting great things back then. Compare that to now, a LOT more people are here, and a fair bit of them post at least half decent stuff and are willing to listen to crits instead of getting super defensive.

Anyways, so Life_is_Brutal, are you actually going to post that song or just talk about it :p: .

Life Is Brutal
08-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I was just planning on talking about it for now.

But, I can upload stuff now, so count me in for the contest.

MetaIronForce
08-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Can I sign up?

thorbor
08-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Can I sign up?
sure, I'll add you to the list

|_JR_|
08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
So this is getting back on track eh?

Well, right now I'm too busy (not that I don't have songs ready, but I probably wouldn't have time to write comments) but I might re-join in September.

Limaj_daas
08-05-2010, 09:31 PM
That sounds great, since I'm pretty busy till September.

Anyone else up for September?

DiminishedFifth
08-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm down!

thorbor
08-05-2010, 10:12 PM
alright, I'll edit the first post.

also, is anyone interested in changing the system a bit? I think we could spice things up a little bit.

huevos
08-06-2010, 03:55 AM
I was actually thinking of certain constraints for each contest that goes on.
One example would be the number of tracks that you could use for a song.
Another is taking a core melody and harmony and twisting it around to your own style.
Genre specific threads have started before (and are currently going on), but we could use that as; especially for genres that are rarely explored (I'm thinking classic rock).

Collabs could be interesting too.

If any of these ideas are to be used, there would be 2 conditions necessary for it to function: 1) a higher level of participation, as well as activity within this thread and the songs themselves and 2) longer deadline periods (that are within reason).

If you do something along these lines, I would definitely come back. It would attract some more attention as well.

YoungViking
08-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Im back on board

MetaIronForce
09-06-2010, 12:07 PM
It's september now. Is this still happening?

thorbor
09-06-2010, 12:29 PM
It's september now. Is this still happening?
yeah, let's get things going. I'll open up a submission thread for the new contest.

Depending on the number of the submissions I may alter the battle group system a bit though.

here's the submission thread
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25192861#post25192861

JazzDeath
09-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Sexytimes. My submission is in.

Life Is Brutal
09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Hmm. Do I finish a piece Ive been working on, or submit a piece already heard by mortal ears? Ill go with one Ive got done, and if I finish a new one before the 13th Ill edit my submission...

MetaIronForce
09-06-2010, 04:49 PM
So is this just a no rules round where we submit a song?

I'm thinking of either submitting my cheesy rock song or finishing off my epic I'm writing. Or just quickly write a new thing.

thorbor
09-06-2010, 05:01 PM
you can post anything you want to, no limitations really

MetaIronForce
09-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Just started on a bluesy jam piece. I call it Blue Jam :D

MapOfYourHead
09-07-2010, 05:49 PM
^MetaIronForce, do you know there is an attach file thing if you click on 'Go advanced'?

As for this comp, I should prolly start writing something...

DiminishedFifth
09-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Alriiiiiight. I'm in.

MetaIronForce
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
^MetaIronForce, do you know there is an attach file thing if you click on 'Go advanced'?

As for this comp, I should prolly start writing something...
I know there's an attach thing, but dropbox is so much easier, as you just drop files into a folder onto your computer. There's a bigger file size limit as well.

thorbor
09-12-2010, 04:39 AM
let's bump this, even though all teh contestants should have stickied it.

MapOfYourHead
09-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I'll be gone for most of next week and won't have any internets so I uploaded what I was working on. Forgive its slightly unfinished quality (even though that's more to do with my laziness than anything else, seeing that I've had a week to write something...).

huevos
09-29-2010, 04:01 AM
What of this?

DiminishedFifth
10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
What of this?
I'm not sure :/

JazzDeath
10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Here's how I see it; I'm not saying I'm any better at the moment and I might be part of the problem but this is still how I see it.

I listened to all the pieces in the last comp personally, and I had a clear idea of all of them, although lately even on regular posts on this forum I have been writing comments and detailed reviews of things and asking for C4C and I think in about the last 5 crits I gave to people I didn't get a single review back - that being said, I've reached the point where I just don't care anymore. I mean at least if you post you'll C4C in your post ****ing do it.

Sorry but lack of interest in competitions and crits has been something I've dealt with now over 3 different sites for the past 3 years, I just won't bother anymore since obviously, no one gives a shit.

Peace.

Limaj_daas
10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
^I hate to say it but I agree with you a heck lot. I haven't posted as many compositions as you nor have I participated in as many competitions. But I have written massive and detailed reviews in hopes of getting a C4C (they said so after all). Most of these people never wrote back or wrote back one-liners. After experiencing this with my first two compositions I sorta gave up so I have no idea how people like you have the patience to put up with this again and again.

Honestly, I think there should be penalties in this forum for not C4C-ing. I mean it may sound childish but if you say C4C, then people spend a fair bit of time listening, re-listening, analyzing, and reviewing your composition. If after that your "gratitude" is expressed by not posting back of saying "yeah it was alright" then you should get a warning or be banned for a while or something. If that doesn't happen then the system of C4C will collapse on itself.

DiminishedFifth
10-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Sadly, I've got to agree with Jazz. This place has really gone down in quality (of crits). I still give very detailed crits if I really enjoy a song, or I know that it's going to be someone who will return the crit (JR, huevos, Jazz, zak, etc. Y'all know who I'm talking about).

Though, if anyone wants me to crit something shoot me a PM. Most people in the comp are good with returning crits and I'd be glad critting something of theirs.

Life Is Brutal
10-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Same.

I gave quite a few crits trying get some attention to the comp threads, and Im pretty sure no one checked them out...

Perhaps if they claim its a C4C thread, and they do not respond to crits, they should have their thread closed, or they should be warned/banned.

or wrote back one-liners

Better than nothing, atleast then you can have some perhaps positive reinforcement.

DiminishedFifth
10-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Same.

I gave quite a few crits trying get some attention to the comp threads, and Im pretty sure no one checked them out...

Perhaps if they claim its a C4C thread, and they do not respond to crits, they should have their thread closed, or they should be warned/banned.

Better than nothing, atleast then you can have some perhaps positive reinforcement.
As an ethical thing I don't like looking at my competition. I won't even view the files until after the comp is over. Why? I dunno, it just feels wrong.

I always though of one-liners as "bumpers" just to get you back to the front page.

huevos
10-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I was actually just thinking this.
I wanna enforce a stricter rule set upon the populace here. I want to weed out people who post half-hearted song attempts and even weaker (return) crits.

If I was mod here, I would give warnings and bans to one-liners that are unjustified.
As for not returning crits, that's a bit more difficult to keep track of. Some times people are just busy outside of this. Then again, the ignorant masses take years to formulate thoughts, let alone cohesive paragraphs.

A stricter submission process could help too, but idk how we would go about that.

Tl, Dr-I want to be the facist dictator of T&C.
And if this post really was too long for you, go back to grade school.

JazzDeath
10-06-2010, 05:07 PM
The issue with that is that from what I have seen on this forum..

There's absolutely 0 moderation. **** all, nada. I haven't seen a single person enforce anything on this section of the forums nor have I seen any moderators make any semblance of an effort to even seem to give a shit about this section, so I mean it really just reflects that "no one gives a shit" attitude I seem to get from T&C. There are exceptions of course, as Diminished said, but after a while the exceptions grow tired of making an effort (At least I definitely do) when no one else does and end up not giving a shit either.

Huevos if you can try to become a mod for this section of the forums I wouldn't mind it, right now there's obviously no set standard for anything. Hell on previous sites where I had competitions they checked them all manually and rejected them if you even forgot to add info in the F5 or left empty or red bars in your piece (I'm not saying to do that here but I'm giving an example of how little control there is here)

DiminishedFifth
10-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I'd be a fascist dictator with you huevos. I've wanted a strict mod around here for awhile. I could be one stuck-up asshole if I needed to be, and, in this case, I might need to be.

Anyone know how you can "request" to be a mod?

SOADisdabest
10-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Maybe if enough people on here nominated someone to be a mod the mods would allow it?

Life Is Brutal
10-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Someone should probably step up to be a mod, and Im sure they could get enough support.

And do we even have a moderator on this forum?

DiminishedFifth
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Someone should probably step up to be a mod, and Im sure they could get enough support.

And do we even have a moderator on this forum?
I'll step up and do it. If not me, then huevos probably.

I think we used to... and are supposed to... but don't :/

Life Is Brutal
10-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I guess there hasn't been any real reason to have a mod here before, there doesn't seem to be any trolling, huge arguments, or much vulgarity on this forum...

But Ill second you and Huevos for the position. Dual modship?

Limaj_daas
10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
^ I second that. We need a strict mod(s) in this forum to keep the whole C4C thing from being a cheap way of increasing views and replies. So yeah, I'd def say DiminishedFifth, or Huevos, or JazzDeath (or really, any responsible member that frequents this forum often) for mod.

EDIT: Beside the warnings on the C4C stuff, I'd also say that people put better labels on their threads. Many people people here post an incomplete and halfhearted attempt at a song and it would save a ton of people a lot of time (and forum space) if we had a "WIP/Need Help with my developing my song" thread or if we forced everyone to incorporate that into their thread title at least. I'd still say setting up a thread where all the incomplete/incoherent "songs" go for advice and refinement is a better idea.

DiminishedFifth
10-10-2010, 12:33 AM
^

You mean... this (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25454276#post25454276) thread which doesn't get a lot of traffic?

I can second what you're proposing. So far the rules we have settled on are:

- ACTUAL crits and not one-liners or anything similar
- WIP (or anything similar) be put in the thread title if it's NOT a full song

I would personally like a little bit of info into what people want to know about in their song if they post it. Nowadays I see a lot of "I wrote this new riff. Watcha think?" and it kind of annoys me :/ I want people to be like "I wrote this new riff. Watcha think? More specifically, how are the transitions, etc." or at least a LITTLE insight into what we're listening to.

huevos
10-10-2010, 02:42 AM
You got a good handle on the criteria.
I like the possible closing/removal of threads that aren't specific enough. It would free up a lot of space and give those who take some level pride in their work a better chance of being viewed.

How does one get nominated for modship?
Is there a selection committee or what?

In all seriousness, I've rarely seen mods do anything else than close threads and ban disruptive users. I think it needs to be taken a bit further.
If me or Diminished don't mod status, I would at least hope that the current mods take some of the issues here seriously.
All of the posts on this page are from serious composers and forum visitors. We definitely should have our voice heard as to how we want this place to be run.
I don't want to do away with the noobs, but I do want this forum to cultivate an atmosphere of mutual respect for the work put into the pieces.

If our suggestions do away with the general populace, I wouldn't mind. Most of the songs just seem juxtaposed creations, with self-serving intent...wait, that's my songwriting formula!

Eastwinn
10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
If I like the song and the author, I don't really expect anything in return for my thoughts. But if I'm looking to get some thoughts on one of my songs then I find someone who's offering C4C who wrote similar music to mine and has an original post that seems to tell me that they're serious about it.

Most of the time I'm in this forum I just lurk. I listen to people's songs but I'll only post if I feel like I have something significant to say. If I can't find a piece of advice for them, or a really specific complaint then I don't bother. Someone else will praise them, inevitably, so I figure that's not my place.

That's not to say that I only comment on bad stuff. Sometimes I have so much to say that I don't even have the time to write it all out. Other times it's bad but I can't find the words to say to them. This often happens when it is plain not my style.

That's my 2 cents, at least.

AlanHB
10-12-2010, 09:41 PM
(Pops head randomly in)

Sup guys, I can see that you're concerned.

It appears that people aren't giving proper criticisms for each other, and that's not cool. I've noticed this occurring sometimes in the original recordings forum too.

In addition to considering different ways to moderate the forum, how about you guys also consider some practical solutions too?

One that immediately pops into mind is a required template/form that criticism has to be in. Something like "you must address x, y, z in your comment". This would stop the one-liners. The next part would require penalties to ensure that people follow the template.

That's all.

If you have real concerns, contact some higher-ups such as Carmel or Freepower, also people with blue or red names.

(Runs away)

DiminishedFifth
10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
@Alan - That's what we want to do. But, being normal members, we would be unable to issue penalties of, well, any kind if someone didn't stick to said template or something.

Freepower
10-12-2010, 09:58 PM
(double MT mod visit, go go go!)

Best thing to do is PM your current mods. You'd be surprised how much stuff is just invisible but needs done anyway - it's almost all banning spambots, deleting threads, moving threads, closing em...

If you think the forum could do with a whole new mod then get in touch with an admin and gently suggest it - probably Carmel, I can't remember who's in charge atm, I just focus on getting all the baby shredders to play more notes in less modes. :p:

Taking a very brief look at the problem, it reminds me of what things were like when I was very involved with the original recordings forum - lots of people putting no effort in on songs or crits, and a few hardcore members.

What I did at the time was simply get the people worth talking to to sign up in a kind of "co-op" - so basically we all critted each others work properly, and it had the benefits that you really saw peoples styles evolve and change. In the best case scenarios we actually borrowed each others tricks and learnt from each other.

I think that's the best way to do it tbh. :shrug:

AlanHB
10-12-2010, 11:32 PM
@Alan - That's what we want to do. But, being normal members, we would be unable to issue penalties of, well, any kind if someone didn't stick to said template or something.

That's cool. I guess a problem with the "authority" angle is that a straight out warning would be too harsh for a first time offense, but going without one wouldn't enforce the template.

JazzDeath
10-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Suggestion -

These rules should ONLY be enforced if the poster writes (C4C) in their title, and the rules for C4C would be clearly indicated in a stickied "Read here before posting" thread.

This will prevent ultrabanning of people who have no desire to give anything but one liners and really don't care to get a crit back (Or don't care to crit you back), so it allows for the casual visitors and posters to remain casual and for those who look for a more strict guideline to have it enforced and respected, without feeling like they're making an effort for people who don't care.

My 2 cents.

Edit - BTW I also posted about this in the Site Suggestions section of the Forums, so if you agree with this or have something to say express your support!

Moderating the T&C Forums (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1370389)

huevos
10-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Good suggestions, but this:

- Copying other people's works and taking credit for it
(In my opinion this deserves a forum ban altogether, it's not something that should be taken lightly and at the moment people get absolutely no punishment for it)

I can refute personally.
That 13thcrucifix guy had ripped a Rise Against song, and was subsequently banned for it.

Everything else is solid.
And we could use a more active mod on this side of town. This is one of the only forums that I actively visit on this site and the only one that I feel is worth redeeming.

thorbor
10-13-2010, 06:48 AM
I already had the idea of a UG group for regulars in T&C to get more detailed crits and prevent "wasted" time for writing up pages without anything in return. More or less what Freepower said.

I was afraid I'd be called an elitist if I went through with it though.

Freepower
10-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Just do it, it's a remarkably easy elite to join if you can be arsed doing good crits. ;)

Limaj_daas
11-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Sooooo are we having a new contest any time soon?

Life Is Brutal
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Dunno man. :haha:

Last one kind of went under the radar and didn't seem too public. We haven't even discussed it in this thread for awhile, as mod talk seemed more important. :p:

JazzDeath
07-11-2011, 04:10 PM
We can have a million contests bro, but if no one judges them properly and they are done half assed they will still go under the radar and not be very interesting to compete in... and more trouble than they are worth.

I'm passed the time where I can invest time into them so the most I could do is submit a song and just forget about it afterwards.