Imaginary Friends (Alt Rock[?] with a dash of metal)

PDA

View Full Version : Imaginary Friends (Alt Rock[?] with a dash of metal)

Glasroy
05-09-2010, 05:58 PM
My first completed song, I'm quite happy with it! Did it over the weekend, I'm already working on lyrics and hope to have it recorded by the end of the month.

Any and all critique is greatly appreciated!

asator
05-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Listening to it it sounds great, but to read it as music is confusing...will probably play havoc with recording it unless you do it live as well. It seems like the progression is starting halfway through a bar then running over half a bar...I might just be "hearing it wrong" but...I dunno.

Also, I thought the transition section was a bit harsh. Very sudden, and didn't fit that well. Also the solo wasn't the best, no really memorable phrases. And the chant section seems a bit unnecessary. Also the drum track sounds strange, doesn't ever seem to be that solid...are you by any chance not a drummer but writing for drums?

But overall I like it. The chorus and post chorus particularly stand out, very catchy. Also, nice touch with the fading out drums at the end.

8.5/10

Glasroy
05-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Listening to it it sounds great, but to read it as music is confusing...will probably play havoc with recording it unless you do it live as well. It seems like the progression is starting halfway through a bar then running over half a bar...I might just be "hearing it wrong" but...I dunno.

Also, I thought the transition section was a bit harsh. Very sudden, and didn't fit that well. Also the solo wasn't the best, no really memorable phrases. And the chant section seems a bit unnecessary. Also the drum track sounds strange, doesn't ever seem to be that solid...are you by any chance not a drummer but writing for drums?

But overall I like it. The chorus and post chorus particularly stand out, very catchy. Also, nice touch with the fading out drums at the end.

8.5/10
I play along with it perfectly through out so I know it won't be a problem recording for me. I'm not really sure what you're saying about the progression starting half way :confused:

I agree with the harsh 'transition'. I even said to myself quite a few times after listening to it "no transition for the transition" heh. I hear what you mean about the solo, it is a bit plain and does leave a lot more to be desired. The chant section might look useless on paper but I got a great idea for it lyrically and I originally wrote it for something for the audience to sing along with easily when I get a band together. I'm no drummer and this was my first time writing drums so I wouldn't try to past them off as solid, but do you have any suggestions in that department on how to make it more tight?

Thank you for your kind words and productive criticism, with it I shall try to make the transition more fluid, a solo with more of an impact and do what I can with the drums.