Non-pop songs for girls to play?

PDA

View Full Version : Non-pop songs for girls to play?

voidswarranties
05-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Er, so, I have a lot of friends and family friends who are amateur musicians and like to jam out. Sometimes when they throw big parties they make these parties open mic. I've been teaching myself guitar in probably the most jury-rigged learning sequence/method ever, but I know a fair amount of chords and can do quite a few barre chords. Now I'm getting prodded to, you know, try and contribute to these events musically.

The problem is, I really, really don't like a lot of pop and so-called 'country', (or having people hear that I'm working on singing and guitar and then being compared to Taylor Swift, argh). So, are there any fun songs that can be played acoustically that aren't love songs (which I don't want to play for personal reasons) or songs that I really really would not want to perform before my mother and/or small children?

I like a lot of genres and have a fairly flexible voice, along with the philosophy that "If you can't sing it well, sing it loudly!"

salgala2000
05-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Try to get better or choose some easy RHCP songs

Sandor138
05-09-2010, 07:22 PM
"If you can't sing it well, sing it loudly!"
for the love of god no! that's just making the problem worse.
also why do you feel the need to play pop and country just because you're a girl? play whatever you want.

supersac
05-09-2010, 07:23 PM
the beatles
not all their songs are about love

voidswarranties
05-09-2010, 07:42 PM
also why do you feel the need to play pop and country just because you're a girl? play whatever you want.

I, er, feel no need or want whatsoever to play pop or country, except for maybe some of the really cool old country and southern rock stuff. But that would be good advice if I did. :)

Everyone else, thanks for the recs so far, I didn't expect a response so soon! Right now I'm messing around with some Beatles songs. I'd actually found myself looking at 'Hey Jude' and wondering why it'd had me in such hysterics months ago...until I reached Gm7, but there's probably more than one way to play it.

Edit: I'd play the music I listen to the most, but it's mostly stuff that's either horribly difficult, been played to death, or both.

SeeEmilyPlay
05-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Why not create your own songs?

romencer17
05-09-2010, 08:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6VkX0wgiwY

you can easily omit the f-bomb since you'll be playing for family and kids and such.

voidswarranties
05-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Why not create your own songs?

I've actually been messing around with songwriting a little, although I need to work on it a lot more. My lyrics tend to sound either like that pop stuff that people keep trying to call punk these days, or rather unhinged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6VkX0wgiwY

you can easily omit the f-bomb since you'll be playing for family and kids and such.

That is actually kind of an awesome song that I have never heard before today, although that's partly because I'm not too into bands that like to make political statements. I'll have to see how I sound trying it.

...I need to poke around and see if there's somewhere on this forum with vocal advice. My voice is textureless enough that it takes me a while to learn to make each song sound heartfelt without resorting to ear-grating screeching.

JxD
05-10-2010, 12:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiertq53A0A

Rock-n-RollStar
05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I recently started playing guitar and I really like Wonderwall (Oasis) and Island in the Sun (Weezer) they're pretty easy but fun to play. Neither is about love or pop so you might like them.

Hope that helps

sites.nick
05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't really know what type of music you're into, but if you like rock music, Paramore and Flyleaf are both pretty good, I'm not sure if you could find a lot of acoustic songs from them though, mabey a few.

Flyleaf is a little emo though, you might not like it.

Dan_5893
05-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Under the Bridge by RHCP would be awesome (and its pretty adaptable for acoustic) or Soldiers Poem by Muse (which is acoustic to begin with).

Just my two pence

voidswarranties
05-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Ack, I totally forgot to check this thread for a few days! Well, my musical interests vary widely, but for the sake of convenience I'll say I'm quite fond of hard and classic rock; this includes bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, the early Heart stuff, and...a lot, lot more. I haven't looked into RHCP very much, but I can see what makes people like it; thank you guys for recommending them a lot. I like some stuff from within the last decade, like a little bit of The Killers and, er, Franz Ferdinand, a little bit of Wolfmother I guess; and yes, I knew all of this music well before I had played Guitar Hero or Rock Band at all.

I don't know any Muse, but I guess it's time I poke at their music. Unfortunately I can't say I'm too fond of Paramore or Flyleaf; from what I can tell it's suited to my range of voice and skill, but I just can't get into it.

Right now I'm actually working on Wonderwall; it's a pretty easy song, and it's on the one Oasis album that I bought on a whim. Cast No Shadow's timing throws me off, but I like to practice it too. :)