70's Synth 'Kay' Les Paul Copy?

PDA

View Full Version : 70's Synth 'Kay' Les Paul Copy?

Sherlock Holmes
05-11-2010, 03:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kay-LP-Synth-Les-Paul-Copy-Guitar-built-effects-/110530231887?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19bc1d7e4f

Doubt I'll buy it, but I am curious about this guitar... and I live in the city next to it, if it's worth the 120 i could maybe grab a bargain?
Either way, I thought it'd be cool to share with you guys here... I just wonder how good 70's synth is? :p:

sashki
05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Well, theoretically it's not a synth, but it's a pretty unique guitar. I'd buy it for 120 pounds. I doubt it sounds very good, but I'm still curious. It looks to be in pretty good condition, even though it's over 30 years old.

monkey_dancer
05-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Awwww pickup only? Looks cool enough to be totally worth it, I would buy it. And ^ yeah, it's just a normal guitar with effects built in.

Sherlock Holmes
05-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I know, I'm very curious...But I mean, effects from the 70's.. built into a guitar... I have no idea what quality it would be, could be absolute poop. Or absolute quality... still, from the 70's! haha.

^-^
05-11-2010, 05:52 PM
looks like the Les Paul recording with some extra features. I always thought it would be nice to have your effects on your guitar, but then it makes the guitar fairly heavy.

monkey_dancer
05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
^Actually it would make the guitar lighter, since you're cutting out wood and replacing it with electrical components surrounded by lots of empty space.

^-^
05-11-2010, 06:08 PM
but some electrical components are quite heavy for the space they take up, especially if the electronics are from the 70's, they'd be much larger and heavy then the ones of today. Also you have more pots, more knobs, more switches. The space may be enough to compensate, but not always. every review on the Les Paul recording has said it is noticiably heavier then a normal Les Paul.

monkey_dancer
05-12-2010, 05:37 AM
The first google result for 'Les Paul Recording' said "Generically, all LP Recording models are a bit heavier than most standard Les Paul guitars due to the slightly larger size and type of wood. "

Also, they have transformers in, and transformers are a lot heavier than normal electric components. This guitar looks like it just has effects inside, from the control naming.

Sherlock Holmes
05-12-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm tempted to buy it now just to see who's right :p:

Alas, I have learned to control my GAS. At least, somewhat more than these previous moons.

Slashestranged
05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Buy it!!!!!

Major Bob
05-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Intending to! Am emailing the guy about paying in cash :)

Sherlock Holmes
05-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Sweet dude, let us know if you get it :) like I said, I would get it myself if I didn't have to make any other purchases :p:

monkey_dancer
05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
I would buy it if I lived near enough! :p:

Gargoyle2500
05-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I saw a guitar like that, It may be the very same guitar, On eBay. The seller thought it was a Global. Watch out with unknown 70s guitars, They don't necessarily sound bad but they could have really cheaply made necks. You might want to look at it in person if that's possible.

r0ckth3d34n
05-12-2010, 10:38 PM
I saw a guitar like that, It may be the very same guitar, On eBay. The seller thought it was a Global. Watch out with unknown 70s guitars, They don't necessarily sound bad but they could have really cheaply made necks. You might want to look at it in person if that's possible.

Kay isn't really unknown. They were most popular in the 70's and 80's but now they're just the guitar brand you see in the corner of a private shop...

Gargoyle2500
05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I should have wrote my reply a bit differently. I'm aware Kay was pretty well known but still, I hear a lot of their guitars from the 70s were low quality. How low, I'm not sure but I've seen low quality in my Global E70S (LP copy) It doesn't sound bad but it could really use a new neck, The original must have been made out of pine or something like that.

mbeat31
05-26-2010, 03:45 PM
just thought i'd throw a post up! i have had a kay lp synth since it was bought new in 1980, it originally belonged to my dad and was the guitar i learned on. when i started gigging with it, it was a real talking point and it turns out that these were much sought after back then because they play and sound like a real les paul standard at a fraction of the price, the effects are outstanding, it has wah wah, tremolo, whirlwind and echo. also it has fuzz and phase in/out. it sounds really crunchy and rocky with fuzz on and really clean and bluesy without effects. as for the effects, they do exactly what you would expect, with a speed dial so you control the sounds to suit the song. absolutely fantastic! if you can get one, i recommend them wholeheartedly

Gargoyle2500
05-26-2010, 08:14 PM
just thought i'd throw a post up! i have had a kay lp synth since it was bought new in 1980, it originally belonged to my dad and was the guitar i learned on. when i started gigging with it, it was a real talking point and it turns out that these were much sought after back then because they play and sound like a real les paul standard at a fraction of the price, the effects are outstanding, it has wah wah, tremolo, whirlwind and echo. also it has fuzz and phase in/out. it sounds really crunchy and rocky with fuzz on and really clean and bluesy without effects. as for the effects, they do exactly what you would expect, with a speed dial so you control the sounds to suit the song. absolutely fantastic! if you can get one, i recommend them wholeheartedly

Sounds cool but I've no idea what to expect from the "Whirlwind" Effect even though it might be self explanatory. Are there any demonstrations of this effect on Youtube?