[GP5] Winston Smith [Doesnt have a genre as of yet]

PDA

View Full Version : [GP5] Winston Smith [Doesnt have a genre as of yet]

ultrasonic
05-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Heya guys :D

Im hear with a (Whats now become pretty cliché) George Orwell inspired piece :D Hence the name, Winston Smith :D Some may know him from '1984' :D

Not sure what genre this will be as of yet :D Doesnt really matter tbh, i expect it to sound crap :D Id appreciate it if someone could export this as a midi file please :D

Its actually unfinished like most of my things, so could you help me out by telling me where it could go, what to add, what to ditch :D ;)

^ and yes i did ask for a midi, and no i cant export one myself, as my midi outputs broke and it comes out blank. And yes i have tried everything, the underlying problem is the drivers, not GP5 so it cant be fixed.

Thanks

Ultrasonic

Ailes
05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
clicked on this because '1984' is one of my favorite novels.

Well it's just a beginning so far, isn't it ? I can see this going into a lot of different directions. But wherever it goes, variety might become an issue in the long run, because so far you've seem to rely on the same basic chord progression - which can get rather boring in the fourth or fifth repeat, no matter how much instruments you may paste on top of it - especially when there's no real standout melody (like a vocal track) to follow.

Also, that C note that the piano plays in bar 15 sounds off, clashes with the chord (especially when you consider the key to be B minor, where there's no C). Try playing it safe and going for the B (19) instead ?

The chordprogression itself is nice (future issues with too many repeats nonwithstanding), but a lot of what makes it boring is the fact that many of the added instruments do nothing more than just follow the falling motion of the chords. Why not trying some counter or independent movement ?

I did like the guitar in bar 5. You could play that motif for a little while longer, would sound lovely (especially with some delay). But again, the most important thing to make such a down-ish tune interesting is a strong vocal line (or melody in general). This should be a high priority for the continuation of the piece, as a simple but hooking lead line can be more powerful than all the symphonic arrangements.

An advice, when I say varying the chords, I don't necessarily mean you need to bring in new chords per se. Especially in the genre (i think) you're going for, often "less is more" is best. For example stretch just two chords (like the Bm and G, or Bm and A) longer, and leave your "full" chord progression for later chorus parts. (or the other way around, complete chord progression at first, sparser chords for the verse parts).

added a midi

ultrasonic
05-13-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks mate :D Anything you want me to take a look at?