Ian Dury and the Blockheads

PDA

View Full Version : Ian Dury and the Blockheads

MoleMania
05-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Somebody tell if this belongs elsewhere (maybe punk?), but I think Ian Dury and his crew don't get nearly enough credit for their pure awesomeness. I just did i search on the forums and there are pretty much no threads about them, so I figure it's time for one! :p

What I love about him is the pure lyrical genius that goes on in all his songs, often crude but pulled off very well in the end. I also LOVE the bass lines.

RIP Mr Dury

master
05-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I like sex and drugs and rock n' roll. The other stuff I heard sounds very disco-y. There's a movie about his life too. Anybody know if it's worth a watch?

MoleMania
05-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I've seen it, and I recommend it purely for the experience. It kinda skims past some parts of his life, and focuses more on the personal side of things, but it's good. And yeah, a lot of his songs are quite different, lol. He's hard to categorize.

Seyda
05-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Norman-Watt-Roy is a bass god, and Ian is a ****ing lyrical genius.

BrainDamage
05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Somebody tell if this belongs elsewhere (maybe punk?) Time period fits. Not sure if the music does as I'm not familiar, but I'll leave this here anyway.

Carry on.

MoleMania
05-14-2010, 01:58 PM
^Cool.

Norman is a beast at his bass. Even on the more mainstream stuff he's always rocking playing great bass lines. Anyone got favourite songs? Mine are Blockheads, Sweet Gene Vincent, what a waste, This is what we find and I want to be straight (Love the bass on that one).

Seyda
05-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Mine would have to be "wake up and make love to me" "Hit me with your rhythm stick" and "Spasticus Autisticus".

Xezium
05-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Is very good indeeeeed.