Ian Dury and the Blockheads

View Full Version : Ian Dury and the Blockheads

05-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Somebody tell if this belongs elsewhere (maybe punk?), but I think Ian Dury and his crew don't get nearly enough credit for their pure awesomeness. I just did i search on the forums and there are pretty much no threads about them, so I figure it's time for one! :p

What I love about him is the pure lyrical genius that goes on in all his songs, often crude but pulled off very well in the end. I also LOVE the bass lines.

RIP Mr Dury

05-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I like sex and drugs and rock n' roll. The other stuff I heard sounds very disco-y. There's a movie about his life too. Anybody know if it's worth a watch?

05-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I've seen it, and I recommend it purely for the experience. It kinda skims past some parts of his life, and focuses more on the personal side of things, but it's good. And yeah, a lot of his songs are quite different, lol. He's hard to categorize.

05-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Norman-Watt-Roy is a bass god, and Ian is a ****ing lyrical genius.

05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Somebody tell if this belongs elsewhere (maybe punk?) Time period fits. Not sure if the music does as I'm not familiar, but I'll leave this here anyway.

Carry on.

05-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Norman is a beast at his bass. Even on the more mainstream stuff he's always rocking playing great bass lines. Anyone got favourite songs? Mine are Blockheads, Sweet Gene Vincent, what a waste, This is what we find and I want to be straight (Love the bass on that one).

05-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Mine would have to be "wake up and make love to me" "Hit me with your rhythm stick" and "Spasticus Autisticus".

05-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Is very good indeeeeed.