Where We Wither

PDA

View Full Version : Where We Wither

13thCrucifix
05-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Enjoy and crit.
also, i noticed that all you people are always giving high ratings to things that, in honesty, have no real structure, and sound pretty dam poor. Then we come alog with a semi masterpiece, and its all nooooooo thats pretty repetitive.

i conclude that repetitiveness is better than shittiness.

You heard walk by pantera?

its the same notes throughout the sond, barre the solo.

by your reckoning, its too repetitive, and therefore 3/10.

Good job.

*EDIT*

Got a bit rambling then.

Enjoy and critique please.

If it helps you, add your own lyrics to the verses, which is another point. our shit is labelled, and ALL OF YOURS ISNT!

Aaron!!
05-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Enjoy and crit.
also, i noticed that all you people are always giving high ratings to things that, in honesty, have no real structure, and sound pretty dam poor. Then we come alog with a semi masterpiece, and its all nooooooo thats pretty repetitive.

Shut up whining. You seem kind of arrogant.

guy_mtx
05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
haha you're arrogant which is why i hate to say that that was a good, catchy song. :P

herby190
05-16-2010, 11:11 AM
I agree with the guy above. However, I really don't like putting the hi-hat on the "ands" instead of the beats for the verse; it really threw me off. I like the main riff. However, for the outro, have the cymbals crash on the first beat of 83. Also, have the main riff repeat a second time for the outro, but with the bass doing whole notes of the root, instead of eights; makes it a less sudden ending.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24132275

Ometh
05-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Enjoy and crit.

i conclude that repetitiveness is better than shittiness.

You heard walk by pantera?

its the same notes throughout the sond, barre the solo.

by your reckoning, its too repetitive, and therefore 3/10.

Good job.

*EDIT*

Got a bit rambling then.

Enjoy and critique please.

If it helps you, add your own lyrics to the verses, which is another point. our shit is labelled, and ALL OF YOURS ISNT!

You would be right if this song was good. This song was generic and lame, not even catchy. Overall, not 3/10, but 4/10 :)

infinatedestiny
05-16-2010, 04:37 PM
This is one of my songs, which didn't actually have that much input from 13th. It was one of my very first works at all, and is actually my very first full song. I think with that in mind that you can forgive my failures and total lack of any length or substance to the song.

Wait, I take back that thing about not much input from 13th, he did the whole solo. He makes the most amazing solos.

Also, about the whiney thing. Though he came across a bit more asshole-ish than was probably required, when I looked through some threads myself I can't help but feel he's kind of right.

huevos
05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
This is one of my songs, which didn't actually have that much input from 13th. It was one of my very first works at all, and is actually my very first full song. I think with that in mind that you can forgive my failures and total lack of any length or substance to the song.

Wait, I take back that thing about not much input from 13th, he did the whole solo. He makes the most amazing solos.

Also, about the whiney thing. Though he came across a bit more asshole-ish than was probably required, when I looked through some threads myself I can't help but feel he's kind of right.

If I didn't know better, I would say that the 13thCrucifix is a sock-puppet for your sad little tirade of arrogance.

I'm reporting you for being a multi, and I've already reported 13th for flaming. If you can't play nicely, then you shouldn't be here to begin with.

infinatedestiny
05-18-2010, 03:08 AM
A multi? Hahaha, run an IP check then. I live in Leyland during the weeks, then next door to that guy at weekends over in haslingden. We're seperate people, and that's the truth.

D-Saster
05-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Well besides being thrown into the stereotype that seems to have been brought up here, I enjoyed the song and didn't find it repetitive... I must just be a freak compared to the rest of the UG crowd eh?

ninja.kitty
05-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Yeah... The reason people call it poor is because it is. There were a lot of chords that clashed, and the bass notes sometimes didn't match up. Not to mention the boring drum part. That one riff got so boring caused you used it so much, and it wasn't even good. It is possible to make a song somewhat repetitive and have structure without sounding boring and dry...

gilly_90
05-18-2010, 05:20 AM
At last the song wasn't as bad as your attitude.
Having said, that it wasn't great. Some of the bass work was interesting and unexpected, which I'm a sucker for so kudos for that, but other parts were either a bit stale or clashed a little. The guitar work was pretty simple but that's not neccesarily a bad thing, I'm assuming this would be a fairly vocally-driven song, yes? I wasn't keen on the drums though I couldn't suggest a way to improve them because I am shit at drums. The highlight of the whole thing was the riff near the end with the single guitar (which I assume was the bridge riff)- very catchy.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1314744

Kirborg
05-18-2010, 08:26 AM
wasn't bad it's just that nothing stood out. that progression has been done a million times and your song didn't really add anything original as far as I'm concerned. not a bad song, just meh.

b4ssfr34k
05-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Overall, I thought it was really good. I genuinely enjoyed it. hi hats on the drums seem to kind of get in the way, musically speaking, so it kind of distracts people from the guitar and bass parts. I think the guitar solo was very reminiscent of a sonic the hedgehog level.

infinatedestiny
05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
wasn't bad it's just that nothing stood out. that progression has been done a million times and your song didn't really add anything original as far as I'm concerned. not a bad song, just meh.

I agree entirely with this.

thorbor
05-18-2010, 02:01 PM
I haven't listened to the song, but I've read your "pantera walk" argument 2 times already.

It's not about the amount of notes used in there, it's about the rhythm and feel.
You could say that the intro riff of walk is pile of general metal cliches, BUT, that's the point of it.
There's no need for specialties (although it uses some kind of polyrhythm when the drums kick in), it's just about the harshness.

If you think it's easy to write a good riff with 2-3 notes, then go ahead.

It seems that you conclude that riffs with 3 notes are fine because pantera did it. Well, you forgot the feeling part.

13thCrucifix
05-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I haven't listened to the song, but I've read your "pantera walk" argument 2 times already.

It's not about the amount of notes used in there, it's about the rhythm and feel.
You could say that the intro riff of walk is pile of general metal cliches, BUT, that's the point of it.
There's no need for specialties (although it uses some kind of polyrhythm when the drums kick in), it's just about the harshness.

If you think it's easy to write a good riff with 2-3 notes, then go ahead.

It seems that you conclude that riffs with 3 notes are fine because pantera did it. Well, you forgot the feeling part.

And you forget that this is GP were on. Its not going to sound as good as real life, but most of the songs i see would sound terrible - do sound terrible on real instruments, when i play them on my own guitar.

im not saying its easy, just that it shouldnt be frowned upon to have repetitive riffs. i never once said it was easy to create a good one riff song.

so maybe you should actually listen to the song, and stop complaining.

Aaron!!
05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
stop complaining.

thats pretty damn rich coming from you. You have such a crap attitude, you know that?

ninja.kitty
05-19-2010, 01:10 PM
And you forget that this is GP were on. Its not going to sound as good as real life, but most of the songs i see would sound terrible - do sound terrible on real instruments, when i play them on my own guitar.

im not saying its easy, just that it shouldnt be frowned upon to have repetitive riffs. i never once said it was easy to create a good one riff song.

so maybe you should actually listen to the song, and stop complaining.Dude, shut your f**kin' mouth.

thorbor
05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
@OP

Repetitiveness doesn't come from the riff alone. If you have the intro riff playing for tons of bars than thats repititive, but If you know how to work it into your song, it could work out.
No riff "is" repititive, you have to use the word "feel" here.
And that feel is a thing you have to obtain through experience.
This just my personal opinion, but I think, the skill of a songwriter reflects in the feeling of a song.

On top of that, never use GP as an excuse for missing song quality. I have tons of GP songs on my mp3player and I listen to them very often.

It only refers to T&C really, but handlin GP also is a skill.

Also, I still haven't listened to the song, so I'm not referring to the song either. T&C has too little discussion threads, imo.

And, for personal defence, I'm not complaining, just stating some facts and opinions not even necessarily directed at you.

huevos
05-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Why has he not been banned yet?
This tirade of bullshit is only done for attention. That is ultimately worse than any sort of flaming; it's an utter disgrace to those who put in lots of thought and effort into their songs, only wanting honest criticism and for their ideas to be heard.

I went against what I said (which was to avoid this guy and his threads). I've listened to the songs, and I'll just say they aren't my style.
Thorbor is correct in saying that they have no feel; it's almost as if he writing these songs to not only be directly antagonistic, but as a half-assed defense for his inane arguments about the rest of the forum writing "overly-complex" songs.

I'll give you a choice: you can continue this BS, for which I will report every single thread and response you have or you can play nicely and follow the rules that are stickied at the top of the forum.
Everyone is sick of your crap. I don't see why we have to put up with you any longer.

corrda00
05-19-2010, 08:53 PM
I like the bass part, its pretty groovey. You've got some good parts in there. I still think it needs another section or bridge or something and maybe a better ending, if that was the ending you intended.

5/10

Radman_Paiza
05-20-2010, 08:06 AM
I personally believe that you should, instead of switching power-chord altogether, just tweak the Fchord. I find the result a little more satisfying.

Lead:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4075/thingno1.jpg

Rhythm:
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4451/thingno2.jpg

Of course, it's all up to you. It has potential either way.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1315336

Aaron!!
05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
This tirade of bullshit is only done for attention. That is ultimately worse than any sort of flaming; it's an utter disgrace to those who put in lots of thought and effort into their songs, only wanting honest criticism and for their ideas to be heard.

I went against what I said (which was to avoid this guy and his threads). I've listened to the songs, and I'll just say they aren't my style.
Thorbor is correct in saying that they have no feel; it's almost as if he writing these songs to not only be directly antagonistic, but as a half-assed defense for his inane arguments about the rest of the forum writing "overly-complex" songs.

I'll give you a choice: you can continue this BS, for which I will report every single thread and response you have or you can play nicely and follow the rules that are stickied at the top of the forum.
Everyone is sick of your crap. I don't see why we have to put up with you any longer.

Agreed.

13thCrucifix
05-21-2010, 12:57 PM

youre pretty damn scary, i wouldnt want you to !!!!!REPORT ME!!!!!!! :O:O:O:O:O YOU MONSTER!

tbh idc at all, in the slightest, very much, if you report each of my posts, and if thats how sad you are, to be threatened by my judgements, then go ahead, what are you 12?

"telling on me" is probably the babiest way to get back at someone, either **** off and go hug mommy, or go **** off and cut yourself.

so thats the choice i give you, bitch.

Have fun deciding,

13th.

DaddyTwoFoot
05-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Well, since this thread wore out its usefulness by the second sentence (and you've proved yourself to be nothing but a whiny ass in that last post), I'm gonna go ahead and throw down a *report*. I'm not doing it because I'm an "Internet tough guy" or a 12-year-old as you implied, but because we don't need abusive whiners on this website.

eggo_boi_15
05-21-2010, 01:31 PM
so maybe you should actually listen to the song, and stop complaining.
Listened to the song, found it entirely boring. Songs are meant to progress, there is meant to be some climax near the end or during the latter part of the song(which is what solos kinda of do anyway), but there was nothing there. No progression to it.

The verse riffs clashed like hell. Why the hell you had the bass playing A when the guitars were playing E I do not know.

2/10