Prog metal song I'm working on, any ideas?

PDA

View Full Version : Prog metal song I'm working on, any ideas?

b4ssfr34k
05-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while, been too busy,

I've been working on this song in whatever free time I can find, and this is what I have so far.

If anyone has any ideas as to what I could add, they would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you all enjoy it.

ChucklesMginty
05-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Intro was very Black Sabbath IMO which was cool, but I found it got kind of repetitive. Careful what note the lead guitar lands on, a lot of the notes were a bit sour. I also found the time signature stuff a bit unnecessary, it was kind of like a record skipping and made the whole thing less enjoyable. But this is just my opinion so keep that if you like it.

Now that the negative stuff is out of the way, I did really like the ending and where it was heading. It had some nice originality too it, just listen back over the lead guitar for any off notes.

I'm not sure where you should take it next, try and picture in your head what you want the piece to sound like. Or experiment with several ideas and pick your favourite using a trial and error approach. It can be frustrating but keep working on it, and make sure you finish the whole song before starting a new one!

b4ssfr34k
05-18-2010, 10:19 AM
On those sections where the guitar sounds sour, that's actually what I was going for. I know it doesn't sound tonally pleasing, but it's not supposed to be. I'm a big fan of 21st century composing techniques, so I use a lot of atonal and poly rhythmic ideas.

I really appreciate the feedback, thanks man.