Transitioning metal-fan...

PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning metal-fan...

BgOslicK
05-24-2010, 06:33 AM
I looked around the forum for a few minutes and didn't see a thread based on this, so please excuse me if there already is one.

Sooo here's the deal, I've been playing guitar for almost 2 years (in a few months) and I really want to transition my old school 80s metal fondness into some modern heavy metal. I generally like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc, and my issue with them isn't that they don't sound pretty damn good, but the difficulty of their songs, well, aren't too difficult. So this basically leaves me at a rut when learning new songs, because I can't go from playing Master of Puppets all the way to Juice by Steve Vai, I need a transition.

This leaves me to these modern metal bands. I've looked over a LOT of the tabs and stuff, and they look just about my playing ability in order for me to actually progress, but it's a pain to learn them when I've never actually listened to them much before. I'm talking about like As I lay Dying and stuff.

So, my fellow UG brethren, what bands should I start to listen to so I can enhance my musical repertoire & fondness of heavy metal? Songs with vocals that are completely screamo aren't my thing, but a little bit of it isn't too bad. Thanks in advance!

hockeyplayer168
05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Mastodon

BgOslicK
05-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks. Keep em commin' guys!

Outerspacegrass
05-24-2010, 07:59 PM
baroness
between buried and me (songs pretty hard to play though)
gwar
mastodon
neurosis
nevermore
rammstein
slough feg
isis

BgOslicK
05-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Very nice list. Listening to them as we speak. Thanks!

jimmy10
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
CHON
irepress
blotted science
protest the hero
pelican
east of the wall
russian circles

...there's my 2 cents

Linkerman
05-28-2010, 02:42 PM
baroness
between the buried and me
mastodon
isis

+

Opeth
Tool
The Fall Of Troy
Men Eater
Pelican
Cloudkicker

`NeXxuS`
05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
the albums deliverance, and blackwater park by opeth would increase your fondness.