paper tongues... wtf has happened to music

PDA

View Full Version : paper tongues... wtf has happened to music

rickyj
05-25-2010, 12:22 AM
so im sittin here scannin the forums for something to talk about to waste 5 minutes and i look over at my tv to george lopez tonight.

anyways this "band" called the paper tongues is playing. rap/rock/funk shit.

the song was called somethin like 'lickin a bag' which makes absolutely no sense. the bassist didnt even play bass during the entire song, he was just standing there rapping during the verses. the singer wasnt singing, more like randomly yelling about bags and cali-forn-i-a. for some reason they had two keyboard players??? and the guitarist (who i doubt knows how to tune the guitar) is playing a "solo" that makes the solo from smells like teen spirit look like eruption.

anyways this band refers to themselves as a rock band when they rap during the verse and you cant hear the guitar or drums over the keyboards.

my point is what the hell has happened to music? the industry is messed up so bad that people cant tell the difference between aerosmith and run dmc

ive noticed while watching the progression of rock/metal music every 5-10 years the modern genre fades away and some new form of music comes into the limelight.

early mid 70's - hard rock/metal

late 70's - punk took over europe for a while

79 - 80 - metal returns with ozzys solo stuff and nwobhm and all of the classic albums from that time

82 - 87 - hair metal hit the charts after quiet riot got a number 1 record and then underground thrash started to become more well known

my point is when the hell is all this pop and rap and hip hop gonna fade away? since like 2002 (when the boy bands all broke up and every stopped caring about that crap) this shit has been popular and now thanks to online downloads bands are only selling a few thousand albums in the first week unless theyr metallica.

rob zombie (from what i heard) is not releasing his albums on cd anymore. hes decided to start selling them purely through itunes. how the hell will new bands sell demo tapes to fans at shows if no one has a cd player?

your thoughts?

sorry to rant i didnt mean to make this post this long.

pnkhrdwndr
05-25-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm sorry you think all new music sucks. I think all music before 1990 is not worth the time of day. we'll agree to disagree

rickyj
05-25-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm sorry you think all new music sucks. I think all music before 1990 is not worth the time of day. we'll agree to disagree

im not saying that. im not a fan of the nu metal stuff, but i like pantera and manson and rob zombie and stuff like that

guitarsftw
05-25-2010, 12:35 AM
The more you judge an era of music based on what is mainstream and popular, the more you will be disappointed. I have found music I LOVE from every decade since the 30's.

rickyj
05-25-2010, 12:39 AM
The more you judge an era of music based on what is mainstream and popular, the more you will be disappointed. I have found music I LOVE from every decade since the 30's.

im not saying that i dont like new music either. im actually listening to the new bllet for my valentine and its not bad at all, better than ther other stuff. i like all the new stuff from metallica, megadeth, slayer and overkill. im just saying, when are these bands going to get the respect they deserve like they did 25 years ago?

truANT111
05-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey man you should'nt be hating on different types of music so much. I hate the mainstream shit as much as you do but its just another style. I agree with you in the sense that music isnt really based on musicianship anymore as much as it is based on how many lyrics you can squeeze into a song about partying or other generic crap like that.
But still...music is music, and the mainstream shit is the stuff that fits in and tries to appeal to everyone.
At any time in the 70's-80's-90's there's always been the people who have said the same thing as you, "what has happened to music?" and the deal is its always changing and there's always going to be some new band or genre to stand up to the podium and take charge as the new king of mainstream.

Anyways to sum things up, dont hate on other kinds of music unless the artists have other people write their songs for them and have other people play their instruments for them. Those are the only ones that I cant stand!!!!!! their so pathetic, their only gift is their voice, and they end up lip syncing anyway...

rickyj
05-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Hey man you should'nt be hating on different types of music so much. I hate the mainstream shit as much as you do but its just another style. I agree with you in the sense that music isnt really based on musicianship anymore as much as it is based on how many lyrics you can squeeze into a song about partying or other generic crap like that.
But still...music is music, and the mainstream shit is the stuff that fits in and tries to appeal to everyone.
At any time in the 70's-80's-90's there's always been the people who have said the same thing as you, "what has happened to music?" and the deal is its always changing and there's always going to be some new band or genre to stand up to the podium and take charge as the new king of mainstream.

Anyways to sum things up, dont hate on other kinds of music unless the artists have other people write their songs for them and have other people play their instruments for them. Those are the only ones that I cant stand!!!!!! their so pathetic, their only gift is their voice, and they end up lip syncing anyway...

well i dont hate ALL kinds of music. im a huge metalhead and i still constantly listen to classical music.

but im liek you. i cant stand shitty "artists" that go into a studio and let the producer make a generic artificial beat then the "artists" makes up a chorus or random line of words that they think ther fans will like, then they get a lyricist to write the verses then they record what they barely had anything to do with.

it takes practically no talent at all and its an insult to real musicians that spend hours and hours of practice and dedication to get good at an instrument so they can play live just to find out no one wants to hear it.

truANT111
05-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Yeah man musical values have been going down the drain the last few years.. I wish the music industry went back to selling cd's as much as before, whenever a band I like releases a new album I always buy the physical copy, I just think its better....and when you see someone with your song on their ipod thats cool, but when you see someone with your physical cd thats just something special all on its own.
I have yet see one of my songs on someones ipod let alone an album in their hands hahaha, but still....its that part of the music industry that plays a huge part in what it is.

Outerspacegrass
05-25-2010, 01:30 AM
new music doesnt suck. Its just that the record companies got so good at marketing shit music to dumb people that bands don't need to have any talent what so ever to become popular. The music is as good as it ever was, but you have to look for it, and if you're looking for it on the TV, you're looking in the wrong place.

HowerPower
05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
im not saying that i dont like new music either. im actually listening to the new bllet for my valentine and its not bad at all, better than ther other stuff. i like all the new stuff from metallica, megadeth, slayer and overkill. im just saying, when are these bands going to get the respect they deserve like they did 25 years ago?

I hate the music you like, when is your genre going to die away?

Damascus
05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah man musical values have been going down the drain the last few years..

Bullshit.

Ever since people have been able to make money from music there has been terrible pop music that's heavy on catchiness and light on technical ability. There has also always been (and continues to be) music - popular and not - that is extremely technically demanding.

Take hip-hop, which a lot of people seem to be setting up opposed to metal/rock/other guitar music - it's one of/the biggest genres in the 'pop' umbrella right now, just like rock was one of/the biggest genres in the 'pop' umbrella back in the 70's - someone like DJ Shadow or DJ Premier can't bust a Van Halen solo, but I'll eat every item of clothing I own if Eddie Van Halen could make a DJ Premier beat, and, crucially, a lot of people think really good beats are much better than really good guitar solos.

There was awful, mainstream rock in the 70's as well as great, innovative stuff, just like there's awful, mainstream hip-hop and great, innovative stuff too. You're out of step with current taste, but so what? I personally think you should start trying to appreciate how much incredible music there is in genres like hip-hop or electronica, but I definitely think you should stop whining about modern audiences not sharing your rock/metal tastes - that style of music is not inherently or objectively better than any other and there are a hell of a lot of people who want rid of it once and for all just as much as you want it back.

eazy-c
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Since when was being technically demanding a requirement for music being good?

dillon1022
05-25-2010, 09:30 PM
I hate nearly all new music.
from rock to rap to pop, today it all sucks

nashawa
05-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I hate nearly all new music.
from rock to rap to pop, today it all sucks
So, you mean you don't like stuff on the radio :rolleyes:

You don't get to complain if you can't be bothered to find good music. It's really not hard.

neidnarb11890
05-25-2010, 11:24 PM
TL;DR

Stop whining.

dillon1022
05-26-2010, 05:20 PM
So, you mean you don't like stuff on the radio :rolleyes:

You don't get to complain if you can't be bothered to find good music. It's really not hard.
what i meant was, I don't like new bands. I listen to the stuff, and it's just like everyone copies everyone else.

nashawa
05-26-2010, 05:31 PM
what i meant was, I don't like new bands. I listen to the stuff, and it's just like everyone copies everyone else.
And I'm sure the stuff you listen to is just a blatant rip-off of some other bands. Old news. But no, it's obvious you haven't really tried to find new music.

dillon1022
05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
And I'm sure the stuff you listen to is just a blatant rip-off of some other bands. Old news. But no, it's obvious you haven't really tried to find new music.
I've tried listening to:
Shinedown, David Cook, Matchbox 20 (also Rob Thomas), Lil' Wayne, Flo Rida, 50 cent, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Kesha, P!nk, Cartel, New Anthem, Boys Like Girls, Fall Out Boy, Matt Nathanson, Plain White T's, Suicide Silence, and more (that's all I could think of).
I have tried listening to new stuff, and finding new bands, but usually what I end up finding that I like is some older band everyone else has already heard of that I never heard about. I try to like the newer stuff, and then ultimately, I think, "If I really liked it, would I be trying this hard?"

However, It's not ALL bad, I mean, I listen to some bands that are kind of new like Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Rise Against, finger eleven, +44, Muse, and I'm sure there's more.

crazy8rgood
05-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Bullshit.

Ever since people have been able to make money from music there has been terrible pop music that's heavy on catchiness and light on technical ability. There has also always been (and continues to be) music - popular and not - that is extremely technically demanding.

Take hip-hop, which a lot of people seem to be setting up opposed to metal/rock/other guitar music - it's one of/the biggest genres in the 'pop' umbrella right now, just like rock was one of/the biggest genres in the 'pop' umbrella back in the 70's - someone like DJ Shadow or DJ Premier can't bust a Van Halen solo, but I'll eat every item of clothing I own if Eddie Van Halen could make a DJ Premier beat, and, crucially, a lot of people think really good beats are much better than really good guitar solos.

There was awful, mainstream rock in the 70's as well as great, innovative stuff, just like there's awful, mainstream hip-hop and great, innovative stuff too. You're out of step with current taste, but so what? I personally think you should start trying to appreciate how much incredible music there is in genres like hip-hop or electronica, but I definitely think you should stop whining about modern audiences not sharing your rock/metal tastes - that style of music is not inherently or objectively better than any other and there are a hell of a lot of people who want rid of it once and for all just as much as you want it back.

This man knows what the hell he's talking about.

Listen.

Outerspacegrass
05-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I've tried listening to:
Shinedown, David Cook, Matchbox 20 (also Rob Thomas), Lil' Wayne, Flo Rida, 50 cent, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Kesha, P!nk, Cartel, New Anthem, Boys Like Girls, Fall Out Boy, Matt Nathanson, Plain White T's, Suicide Silence, and more (that's all I could think of).
I have tried listening to new stuff, and finding new bands, but usually what I end up finding that I like is some older band everyone else has already heard of that I never heard about. I try to like the newer stuff, and then ultimately, I think, "If I really liked it, would I be trying this hard?"

However, It's not ALL bad, I mean, I listen to some bands that are kind of new like Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Rise Against, finger eleven, +44, Muse, and I'm sure there's more.

Well at least you are looking for new bands to listen to, even though most of what you listed is already there for you on the radio...

Here are some bands to check out which released a new album in the last 2-3 years:

Rock:
Alice in Chains
Arctic Monkeys
clutch
dinosaur Jr
The flaming lips
Porcupine tree
The mars volta
Them crooked Vultures
Nine Inch Nails
Bigelf
Wolfmother
Dax Riggs
Queens of the stone age
Nebula

Metal:
Baroness
Mastodon
ISIS
Between the Buried and me
High on Fire
Neurosis
Slough Feg
cynic
Kylesa

Other:
Shpongle (Trance)
Aesop Rock (hip hop)

dillon1022
05-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Some of those guys, I've never heard of (clutch, Dax Riggs, Cynic, Arctic Monkeys, Baroness, ISIS, and The Flaming Lips) and I will give them a try.
Some, I have heard of, and like, but I forgot to mention them (Alice in Chains, Them Crooked Vultures, Nine Inch Nails, Wolfmother, and Queens of the Stone Age).
As for the rest though, I've heard them, and didn't like them.