Bridge pins won't stay when I'm restringing?

PDA

View Full Version : Bridge pins won't stay when I'm restringing?

notverycreative
05-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I've been trying to restring my guitar for the past while, but the bridge pin won't stay in. I have tried slightly bending the ball end of the string, but even then it won't stay...Also, when I put the ball end of the string inside, should the round side be going against the pin, or should the flatter side? I mean, since the ball end is like a cylinder, should the pin be running against the curve or the other part..Sorry if I'm not explaining well. Any advice? Thanks

swarley
05-26-2010, 09:35 PM
It's pretty normal for the bridge pin to want to pop out. Usually if you keep some pressure on it, it will stay.

Jammy Pige
05-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Also, when I put the ball end of the string inside, should the round side be going against the pin, or should the flatter side?

Try allowing the ball to go past the end of the pin... only allowing the string to rest against the side of the pin... that should work.

notverycreative
05-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Try allowing the ball to go past the end of the pin... only allowing the string to rest against the side of the pin... that should work.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean

WaltTheWerewolf
05-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean

he means placing the string into that groove on the peg so that the ball end is on the bottom of the peg...also without tightening the string you can also pull up on the string when the pegs in while holding the peg down to get the string completely in place...just tug a little dont force it though.

LeftyDave
05-27-2010, 06:44 AM
I've been trying to restring my guitar for the past while, but the bridge pin won't stay in. I have tried slightly bending the ball end of the string, but even then it won't stay...Also, when I put the ball end of the string inside, should the round side be going against the pin, or should the flatter side? I mean, since the ball end is like a cylinder, should the pin be running against the curve or the other part..Sorry if I'm not explaining well. Any advice? Thanks

Read here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1267770

SeeEmilyPlay
05-27-2010, 06:48 AM
yeah when re-stringing my acoustics I make sure the string goes past the end of the pin. When pulling the string up into the pin, I push against the pin and really pull the string to make sure they are both locked in tight.

It could be time for a new group of pins. What kind of guitar do you have?

notverycreative
05-27-2010, 07:01 AM
he means placing the string into that groove on the peg so that the ball end is on the bottom of the peg...also without tightening the string you can also pull up on the string when the pegs in while holding the peg down to get the string completely in place...just tug a little dont force it though.

I just tried that but it's still not staying in place. Am I just too weak or something..? And is it okay if the holes in my bridge aren't smooth circles? Is that the problem? And from restringing it so many times, the string is kind of bent in many places, so is it still usable?

notverycreative
05-27-2010, 07:04 AM
yeah when re-stringing my acoustics I make sure the string goes past the end of the pin. When pulling the string up into the pin, I push against the pin and really pull the string to make sure they are both locked in tight.

It could be time for a new group of pins. What kind of guitar do you have?

It's a Yamaha F310..and it's only my first time changing it so I'm not sure if they're broken

SeeEmilyPlay
05-27-2010, 07:06 AM
It's a Yamaha F310..and it's only my first time changing it so I'm not sure if they're broken

I own 2 Yamahas myself- I've never had an issue with the bridge pins on either and I still haven't had to swap them out for new ones. Could just be faulty. Do you have a friend or know a guitar tech that could maybe take a look at it? Best thing you can do if you can't fix or figure it out yourself is going to someone for help...(someone off the internet who can physically help of course!)

notverycreative
05-27-2010, 07:21 AM
I own 2 Yamahas myself- I've never had an issue with the bridge pins on either and I still haven't had to swap them out for new ones. Could just be faulty. Do you have a friend or know a guitar tech that could maybe take a look at it? Best thing you can do if you can't fix or figure it out yourself is going to someone for help...(someone off the internet who can physically help of course!)

Yeah, I guess if I can't get it I'll take it to a shop..how long can I have it without strings before something happens to the neck? Also, about how far should i put the string into the hole before putting the pin in? Thanks for the help

EDIT: Should the coil of the string be visible? or should it stay inside the hole of the bridge?

Jammy Pige
05-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Never had that problem before, in fact, just the opposite where I can't get the ****ing pins out no matter what!!!!!! :mad:

Okay, I still think it's your technique, somehow your not putting the strings in the hole deep enough so that the ball sets all the way past the pin in the hole.

But just in case I'm wrong there is one thing that comes to mind, sometimes on the pins can be defective or unnotched making the strings get in the way so you can't push the pin in far enough to stay.

Take a close look at the pins and you should see a rim that circles the bottom of the pin head... it should be notched so that the string can pass by the rim (through the notch) thus allowing the pin to set in the hole deeper... if there is no notch the pin can't push down deep enough because the wound strings just get in the way.

If the rim on your pins make a full circle and doesn't have a little notch you might want to use a tiny file or dremel or thick sturdy blade to notch it so the string can pass by and the pin can set deeper and not pop out so easy.

Or just buy some better pins, but make sure to take the old ones with you and look at the replacement pins to see the difference so that they are notched or will set deep enough.

I hope this makes sense, good luck.

UN NOTCHED
http://www.drumza.com/images/DAndreaBridgePinSetBlack.jpg

NOTCHED
http://www.guitarpartsandmore.com/cms/uploads/pin_02_paua_dot_1.jpg

notverycreative
05-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Okay, I finally got it!!! Thanks to everyone that helped! :D :D :D

stevew_f
07-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Another idea, which has never failed me: reach inside the guitar body, feel what's happening, and correct it if necessary -- before winding the string onto the tuning peg.

You'll want to do this after all the old strings are off, but before winding the new ones onto the tuning peg, so that you can get your hand inside the guitar body (otherwise, the sound hole is blocked by the strings that are already "strung" onto the tuners).

So, with all strings off, and all bridge pins removed, do this for each new string:

Insert a string's ball end into the bridge hole.
Put one hand through the soundhole, and reach through until you feel the ball end of the string. Make sure the ball end is inside the guitar further than the length of a fully-insrted bridge pin.
Put a bridge pin in place, making sure that its notch is facing the sound hole, and that the string passes through the notch. Don't press the bridge pin in hard (yet) - you need to be able to move the string in/out through the bridge hole.
Get the ball wedged into place without misaligning the bridge pin:

Make sure again that the bridge pin is aligned (with notch toward the sound hole). Twist it into alignment if necessary. You may need to do this repeatedly.
With one hand, gently pull the string outward. Pull until you feel (with the hand that's inside the guitar) the ball end slide up so that it is touching both the notched side of the bridge pin and the bridge plate.
The ball should be wedged between those two things. The ball should not be resting against the tip of the bridge pin; it should be against the long edge of the bridge pin, next to its notched channel. It should also be up against the bridge plate (which is the underside of the bridge, inside the guitar).
Use your inner hand to press the ball firmly into place; use your outer hand to tug lightly on the string to help, and to ensure that the bridge pin doesn't get pushed out of the hole.

Again, you would need to do this with all the strings before winding them onto their tuning pegs - otherwise, the soundhole gets blocked and you can't reach in.

As you wind the tuners, repeatedly check that the bridge pin stays in place by pressing on its head with moderate pressure; sometimes, the strings do slip outward a little more, which could undo the wedging action.

Notes:

If you're not changing all the strings (eg replacing one broken string), then this method won't work, since you can't reach an arm into the sound hole; still if you use this method once while chaging all your strings, you can get a feel for what's supposed to be happening with the string's ball end, the bridge pin and the bridge plate. That might be an advantage.
If you are changing all your strings at once, you have an opportunity once the old strings are off, before the new ones are on -- give your baby a good wipe down & cleaning, and get the dust/lint/whatever out of the sound box.
Reaching inside can also help free up the bridge pins when you're removing the old strings - just push the bridge pin outward. Might help to push/pull the string's ball end inward first.

Garthman
07-08-2014, 09:17 AM
I cut the end of the bridge pin to a 45 degree angle - it's a simple fix to solve the problem.

Tony Done
07-09-2014, 08:13 PM
I cut the end of the bridge pin to a 45 degree angle - it's a simple fix to solve the problem.

Me too.

Also, I prefer my pins a loose fit, so that it is only the pressure of the ball keeping them in, and I cut the pin grooves deeper with a dremel if the windings on the bass strings are binding on the pin hole. - Or cut a shallow groove in the pin hole.

Captaincranky
07-09-2014, 08:51 PM
All of which reminds me I need to restring my Crafter Hybrid 12 string.

I think I'll be all right though, as it has an Ovation, "pull the strings through me", style bridge. Nary a pin in sight.

I'm warnin' you two though, when I have to resting my dreadnought 12, I'm gonna start a new thread, and make you two type all this over again. :haha:

Seriously though, good information Steve, Garth and Tony. :D

stepchildusmc
07-09-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm warnin' you two though, when I have to resting my dreadnought 12, I'm gonna start a new thread, and make you two type all this over again. :haha:

every couple of months, we East Coasters, watch as the tides just stop, weeds stop growing in lawns, my girlfriend is actually cordial to me, all the birds in the sky suddenly stop in mid-flight pointed in the general direction of Philadelphia. I would assume that at time, Cranky finally gets that 12'er fully in tune.

Captaincranky
07-09-2014, 10:06 PM
every couple of months, we East Coasters, watch as the tides just stop, weeds stop growing in lawns, my girlfriend is actually cordial to me, all the birds in the sky suddenly stop in mid-flight pointed in the general direction of Philadelphia. I would assume that at time, Cranky finally gets that 12'er fully in tune. "When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars. Then peace will guide our planet, and love, will steer the stars"

All together now, "This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, Aquaree,"US"... :)

Garthman
07-10-2014, 10:50 AM
All of which reminds me I need to restring my Crafter Hybrid 12 string.

I think I'll be all right though, as it has an Ovation, "pull the strings through me", style bridge. Nary a pin in sight.

Yeah - well I have a dreadnought 12 string and you know what? - it takes me twice as long to string the darn thing as it does my 6 string!!!!! ;)

jeffo46
07-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Go and buy some Graph-Tech Tusq Bridge Pins. I bought a set for only 12 bucks on E-Bay which I installed on my Squier SA-100 and right away the change in both the sound and tone was amazing.

Captaincranky
07-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Go and buy some Graph-Tech Tusq Bridge Pins. I bought a set for only 12 bucks on E-Bay which I installed on my Squier SA-100 and right away the change in both the sound and tone was amazing.Well Jeff, despite the fact that a few of the regulars, (myself included), got sucked into this thread, it is what is known as a "necrobump".

Since it was started at the end of May, 2010.

Realistically, I expect the TS has either:

1: learned to string his guitar by himself

2: taken up the digital piano which doesn't have bridge pins

or 3: abandoned his musical dreams altogether.

I will grant you that 12 bucks for a set of Tusq pins seems to be a great price nowadays.

Although, they were probably only half of that, when this thread was started.