Just got back from the studio..

PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the studio..

vivical
05-29-2010, 03:00 AM
We just finished recording and mixing 6 songs in 8 hours... I'm exhausted. Please take a listen to the first 6 songs and let me know what you think!!

http://www.myspace.com/syntheticism

guitar_rules311
05-29-2010, 11:27 AM
This is the wrong forum for your own band. This should be in the Promote Your Band forum. As for the music, it's pretty good. Maybe not something I would personally listen to a lot but still good.

Glare
05-29-2010, 11:43 PM
I'll just review all of the songs--that's much easier.
I refuse to do a short review and then expect a great Crit4Crit from the other person.
It would show a lack of caring of the person's work and moreso their own.
Without further blahblahblah:

Vivisection: ( 8 / 10 )
What made me happy right off the bat was that the producer did not kill the drums and send them to the back of the mix. The panned guitars sound great. The distortion in parts could use an EQ, but not annoying. Slap bass on the guitar near the end--nice touch. Dueling-guitars kind of feel. Overall, this is a great start to an album!

Distancing: ( 8.5 / 10 )
The full band rests/pausing is pretty cool. The mix could be a bit better. Parts get blurred together. This song carries a very Opeth-like vibe to it. It's a great song to just kick back and chill to. The guitar interlude / solo was VERY nice! It gave me an almost flamenco feeling--Love that! Another good start!--just needs a new mix.

Lithe: ( 7.5 / 10 )
A piano ballad, performed with feeling. I can hear this song as an opening song in a movie, with more reverb, of course. (Haha) Possibly, with a femme lead-singer singing slow, long melodic passages with passionate lyrics.

The Fiddler for the Orchestra: ( 5 / 10 )
The vocals are good, but somewhat feel like they were loosely thrown over the music. The guitar riffs and drums keep the song together and the listener interested. Good song! :)

Strings: ( 5 / 10 )
The vocals are mixed a bit deeper into the mix this time. It's strange. The clean and med-Distortion guitars are a good combo. The vocal melody could be a bit more rememberable though.

Movements In Static: ( 6 / 10 )
Probably the most experimental song I've heard so far. It's a laid-back, almost jam-style song. Great song to chill to.

After The Mural: ( 9.5 / 10 )
Sounds like it could be off of a Video Game soundtrack during an adventuring point in the game where you can just walk around and explore the area. The vocals in this song are pretty cool, because they are more like a colour added to the mix, and not so much a main instrument. Just a nice touch added here and there. Very dreamlike song you can get lost in by just closing your eyes and listening intently. The guitars with phasers, delay, and some light distortion here and there. Very interesting (in a good way) how the song almost just decays within the last 30 seconds--instruments drop out leaving a single guitar.

Silencium: ( 8.9 / 10 )
The guitar in the right channel has an AMAZING clean tone, reminiscent of Dir en grey's clean tones. All this song needs is some added effects and a wide soundscape and this would be a great demo track (with some minor re-mixing, of course)!!!

Dr. West: ( 7 / 10 )
GREAT femme vocals with an epic touch. Guitars and rhythms sound like that of TOOL, Staind, Flyleaf and others. This would make another great demo piece, if re-recorded and mixed a little better, but yeah!

Patterns: ( 8 / 10)
Nice acoustic guitars. Vocals have a splitter on it, it sounds like. The timbre of the vocals change after first verse--kinda strange sounding. Yeah... I like those acoustic guitars with the bass playing underneath. Vocals are a bit distracting near the end, but those can be fixed.

Overall Comments, Response and Score: ( 73.4 / 100 )
Great start on those tracks! They need just a little bit of polish to make them shine, but they are great songs, indeed! Keep up the hard work and I can wait to see what's in store for the future!

Final Notes:
If you'd like to hear/crit some of my older projects:
2-3 songs are on my profile, but more are found here: MySpace_Driscove (http://www.myspace.com/Driscove)

dillon1022
06-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Why did you give Fiddler for the orchestra a 5/10 and say it was a good song?

Glare
06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Why did you give Fiddler for the orchestra a 5/10 and say it was a good song?

Oops. Should be a 6. It's a good song, it just needs some work. :)

nashawa
06-01-2010, 12:17 PM
You... recorded AND mixed 6 songs in 8 hours? I can't even start to imagine how terrible this is going to sound.

PsiGuy60
09-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Since the OP has been posted in the appropriate section now, I'm going to go ahead and report this thread.