ONLY Led Zeppelin Thread #2

PDA

View Full Version : ONLY Led Zeppelin Thread #2

Pages : [1] 2

jono034
09-01-2004, 02:55 AM
Yes it is a brand new installment of the ONLY Led Zeppelin Thread. . .

I know all of you Zep freaks out there are so excited :D

Once again, follow the rules and this should be another successful thread

Topic is Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin ONLY!! Discuss anything and everything about the band. . .

WARNING: NO SPAMMING!!. . . I will issue warnings to anyone who blatantly spams. . .

So once again. . . Keep all things Zep and have fun :cheers:

-jono-

Matty Ramone
09-01-2004, 03:09 AM
hi my name is matty
My Favorite band of alltime is Led Zeppelin

I love the movie song remains the same
my favorite part is when they do
the title song and then go into the rainsong

I love the DVD how the west was won, my favorite is the whole Knebworth show ,
they were dead on, I love whole lotta love and no bodys fault but mine

My Favorite song is Hots on for nowhere from the album Presence

My favorite album is Zeppelin 3

that about covers it for now

bass_player15
09-01-2004, 03:11 AM
ya zep rulz and thank you jono034 for starting the second thread. u are my hero. JPJ is the most uderrated musician and member of Led Zeppelin. who agrees with me?

Matty Ramone
09-01-2004, 03:14 AM
no body plays drums like the late great Bonzo and nobody will

TGM
09-01-2004, 03:30 AM
:cheers:

Congratulatios Jon, I was wondering when you would become a mod. Now you can not only eat newbies, you can warn em too!

Oh, yea, this thread has a topic.

What instruments does JPJ play? I know he plays bass, and keyboards, but I think he plays some more.

jono034
09-01-2004, 03:32 AM
^^^ Thanks a bunch :cheers:

He also played some mandolin. . . cant really think of anything else at the moment ;)

Kill em all89
09-01-2004, 03:45 AM
JPJ played that three necked guitar. that was cool

jono034
09-01-2004, 03:47 AM
^^^ I did not know that. . . for what song?? :confused:

Kill em all89
09-01-2004, 04:01 AM
i dunno i saw a pic of him playing it but heres what it looks like

battleofla
09-01-2004, 04:44 AM
A bassist played that?! bloody hell...

Anyways, my fave zep album is...umm the remasters first disc if that counts:| if not led zep 1

phantom lord363
09-01-2004, 12:32 PM
wooohh what a crazy lookin thing that is, getting to the middle neck would be annoying surly......

BassyJoey
09-01-2004, 02:34 PM
That would be an arse to play, looks really wierd...

Joey .G
09-01-2004, 03:26 PM
That three necked guitar looks really cool I've never seen one before

Wounded Hamster
09-01-2004, 04:50 PM
I have just got into Zeppelin, having bought 'Remasters' yesterday. I knew that everyone always went on about them, and now I see why. What an incredible band!

I'd heard Stairway To Heaven before, of course, and the Immigrant Song, but I'd say my favourite at the moment is 'Babe I'm gonna Leave You'. I love the classical feel to the guitar parts in that song.

a-brownsound41
09-01-2004, 05:02 PM
all the members of led zeppelin have 3 syllables in their name

bass_player15
09-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by jono034
^^^ Thanks a bunch :cheers:

He also played some mandolin. . . cant really think of anything else at the moment ;)

he also played another instrument whos name i cannot remember nor pronounce and it imitated the sound of a stringed instrument. u would have seen it on the led zeppelin dvd but sadly it broke down.

HalfOurO'Power
09-01-2004, 06:11 PM
who play harmonica in Bring it on home?
i guess robert plant

HalfOurO'Power
09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
who is stairway about? (or what)
I have heard it is about janice joplin

Joey .G
09-01-2004, 06:30 PM
www.songfacts.com I dont know if it has your answer but I'd check it out, its a great site for your type of question

ZepHedJack
09-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by HalfOurO'Power
who is stairway about? (or what)
I have heard it is about janice joplin

Man, that topic will be discussed till the end of time. Really, no one knows what it is about, Plant was stoned throughout that whole period and said that they could mean anything.

IMO, and I guess Plant's...from what he said in TSRTS, It's a song of hope.

acdc101
09-01-2004, 08:11 PM
jimmy page played the theremin but i dont think in any songs

ZepHedJack
09-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by acdc101
jimmy page played the thereminbut i dont think in any songs
He played it in Whole Lotta Love, I think.

Antonio Ulfers
09-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Kill em all89
i dunno i saw a pic of him playing it but heres what it looks like

I have a picture of Page playing a guitar like that, but I didn't think JPJ did.

TNfootballfan62
09-01-2004, 09:27 PM
yay, new zep thread, me so happy

i figured id kick things off with a good ole LED ZEPPELIN RULES

Rock'n Roll
09-01-2004, 10:30 PM
here's some links to some Led Zepp artist facts to cut down on pages.You know there's been alot with #1 that had 6-7 pages arguing there points now heres your Q and A.

http://songfacts.com/artistfacts/detail.lasso?id=2

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=328

guitar36
09-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Didn't Jimmy Page find the cover art to Led Zeppelin 4 at some old shop or something?

page59
09-01-2004, 11:05 PM
i've heard that stairway is about spiritual perfection, and i've heard it from several different sources too. yeah Jimmy layed the therimin on whole lotta love. Jimmy played mandolin on the records, and jpj played them live.

page59
09-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by guitar36
Didn't Jimmy Page find the cover art to Led Zeppelin 4 at some old shop or something?

Jimmy and Robert were out shopping one day in pawnshops, or some sort of similar store when Jimmy found that and bought it.

Rock'n Roll
09-01-2004, 11:12 PM
me personally I think John Paul Jones is the most talented member instrument wise,you know since he can play more instruments then any other member of the band.Who do you feel is the most talented?(of course Jimmy Page dominating guitar, many not know this(which I don't know how you wouldn't.lol)he produce all of Led Zepp's Albums and he's one hell of a producer at that, Robert Plant's vocals, harmonica and tamborine skills, and of course John Bonham's Drumming all are what makes Led Zepp the brillant,talented,skilled, band that plays with so much attitude,passion,heat and soul making it the well oiled machine it is.All in all John Paul Jones is the most underrated and talented member of Led Zepp his instrumentation is endless,really thats why I say hes the most talented.

zeppelin_05
09-01-2004, 11:38 PM
I won't say he's the MOST talented of the four, but he surely is underrated, and his orchestrations are second only to Page's and sometimes they're even better. He's a better arranger than the rest, but musician, i'm not sure...

dionysus85
09-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by acdc101
jimmy page played the theremin but i dont think in any songs

he used it on whole lotta love and no quarter

great idea to clear the zep thread, i never used to bother comin in here coz it was just full of cr*p

la bamba
09-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Rock'n Roll
me personally I think John Paul Jones is the most talented member instrument wise,you know since he can play more instruments then any other member of the band.Who do you feel is the most talented?(of course Jimmy Page dominating guitar, many not know this(which I don't know how you wouldn't.lol)he produce all of Led Zepp's Albums and he's one hell of a producer at that, Robert Plant's vocals, harmonica and tamborine skills, and of course John Bonham's Drumming all are what makes Led Zepp the brillant,talented,skilled, band that plays with so much attitude,passion,heat and soul making it the well oiled machine it is.All in all John Paul Jones is the most underrated and talented member of Led Zepp his instrumentation is endless,really thats why I say hes the most talented.

i agree. jpj is easily the most overlooked, underrated musician any band could have had. he was a freakin magical musician. like said in the first zeppelin only thread, it took 7, yes 7 musicians to fill in for jpj for plant and page's tour.

i also think hes got most instrumental talent. what would zep songs be w/o his magical instrumentation. take his keyboards for ex.

what would songs like kashmir, misty mtn hop, stairway, no quarter, and my personal fav w/jpj keys, the rain song be like w/o it? it would lose bout half the experience... imo

Michael_Frazier
09-02-2004, 12:14 AM
That is a very rare custom instrument. Mandolin/6-string guitar/12-string guitar. The only time I ever saw it played by John Paul Jones was on the "Ten Years Gone" music video recorded live.

And yes, it was Robert Plant who played the harmonica on "Bring It On Home". His vocals during the opening lines were an emulation of some more traditional black blues. It really compliments the shuffle arrangement.

As for "Stairway," some say it's about Satan. There are backwards messages in the lyrics that talk about Satan, but few people really know that the song played normally has messages refering to Satan. "The Piper" is an alias of Satan's. He was called that because before Lucifer's fall from grace in heaven, God had given Satan alone the ability to make music. He played a flute and an odd tamborine of sorts. You'll have to interpret the song on your own though.

As for Jonesy's musical talent, he was very gifted. He was raised by two musically nurturing parents. His father, for instance, was a professional pianist. Over time, Jones eventually learned piano, organ (like a piano except arrangements for it required use of both feet and more dexterity), Bass, Mandolin, and a lil' guitar of course. I'm not sure how many instruments Page knew how to play but I know he played Guitar (of course), the sitar, and the banjo, which he borrowed from Jonesy (who I'm not sure played it or not). The banjo was used on "Gallows Pole".

Kill em all89
09-02-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Antonio Ulfers
I have a picture of Page playing a guitar like that, but I didn't think JPJ did.

heres one with JPJ playing it

TNfootballfan62
09-02-2004, 12:09 PM
i do think that john paul jones is underrated, but i dont know about him being the best musician in the band, afterall, they had one of the best guitarists of all time and one of the best drummers of all time, not to mention, one of the best singers of all time, its hard to be #1 in that group

ledzep99
09-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know any good sites to get good led zeppelin pictures of them playing live? I did a google image search and didn't find any good pictures.

£"$"

HalfOurO'Power
09-02-2004, 04:06 PM
JPJ is very talented, not because he played so many instruments, but because his music was so beautiful

Jimi444
09-02-2004, 05:48 PM
^^ did you try the Led Zeppelin fan club internet site???

HalfOurO'Power
09-02-2004, 06:34 PM
how do i get to it?

HalfOurO'Power
09-02-2004, 06:38 PM
abrownsound is dumb

oldrnr
09-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Stairway to heaven got the best solo of all time, makes me weak at the knees everytime i hear it!!!!, over the hills and far away and black dog are two of my favourites but i love them all!!!!

Jimi444
09-02-2004, 08:42 PM
^ i think that whole song is over-rated the solo is pretty good but i think Led Zeppelins best solo is mybe rock in roll or a whole lotta love, favorite riff Heartbreaker, favorite album Led Zeppelin 4 and my favorite song Kashmir closely followed by When The Leeve breaks. :rasta:

turnstiles27
09-02-2004, 10:00 PM
My favorite songs are Tangerine, Immigrant Song and Misty Mountain Hop. My favorite album is probably III, but I haven't listened to them all yet.

-Turnstiles :confus:

zeppelin_05
09-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Favorite songs are Over the Hills and far Away, The Rain Song, Thank You, Stairway to Heaven, Immigrant Song, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, The Rover and Communication Breakdown. Favorite album is too hard to say...but i'll say a tie between IV and Physical Graffiti, closely followed by Houses of the Holy.

Michael_Frazier
09-02-2004, 11:59 PM
I think the solo in "Stairway to Heaven" is great for many reasons. First of all, it's a classic song. But what few ever come to realize about it, is how influential is was among future rock or blues artists. The main ideas behind the phrases have been countlessly emulated by other artists. I personally could name over 100 songs that share a common idea with the "Stairway" solo, but I'll let you figure those out. But I'm sure Jimmy Page could be considered guilty of the same "crime", if you consider it that way, because he too grew up emulating the sounds of his favorite artists. But, I think that the fact that so many people have used the ideas of this solo in their own compositions, is the greatest testament to this song's overall status of nobility among the great rock riffs.:headbang:

TNfootballfan62
09-03-2004, 12:00 PM
yea, everyone knows jimmy page for his work on s.t.h. and they think that is the best solo/song ever, not only do i think there are better solos than that, but i also think there are better songs, riffs, etc. than s.t.h., i dont know if i would put that song/solo in my top 10 fav. led zeppelin songs, let alone songs/solos of all time, but it is great

Hippotautamus
09-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Over the Hills and Far away, Kashmir, and When the Levee Breaks..oh, and Achilles Last Stand are my favourites

ummagumma
09-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Michael_Frazier
And yes, it was Robert Plant who played the harmonica on "Bring It On Home". His vocals during the opening lines were an emulation of some more traditional black blues. It really compliments the shuffle arrangement.
the intro and outro are somewhat of a cover of a song by sonny boy williamson of the same name, which is also a geat song.
i also think that john paul jones is one of the most under-rated, if not the most talented, member of the band. it takes alot of skill and committment to be able to play that many instruments that well. in my opinion, his keyboard solo in you shook me is one of his best.

The Shadow
09-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Speaking of Bring It On Home, are Plant's vocals during the opening slowed down? He certainly sounds a bit odd, which kinda spoils the intro for me.

a-brownsound41
09-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Plant sounds kind of like a deaf person trying to talk on the intro to bring it on home

but i think its cool

bassdrum
09-03-2004, 10:33 PM
album- IIII and III

song-tangerine, the lemon song

Michael_Frazier
09-03-2004, 10:55 PM
As much as it pains me to say, I do think that "Stairway to Heaven" is a bit overplayed. I don't hear it too much on the radio these days but the fact still remains in everybody's head that it is there. And yes, although Jimmy Page was an excellent guitarist and overall musician, I think that there are players out there possessing virtuostic abilities that could blow Page away, God forbid of course. But you've gotta give the man his props....he's a living legend.

As for Robert Plants vocals on "Bring it on Home", it sortof sounded like he was battling a bad case of gingavitis or something. You could almost hear his gums bleeding. God love em for it though.

Jimmy_Page_Fan
09-03-2004, 11:39 PM
I put up a cover in the Cover Songs forum if anyone wants to give me a bit of feedback. We're probably gonna do Comm Breakdown... the whole band next time.

redwing_suck
09-04-2004, 01:58 AM
who knew that JPJ wrote the riff to "black dog"?

yeah, he's insane at the guitar, and he's got the keyboard, organ, bass organ, harmonica, bass guitar, mandolin, and i believe some type of woodwind. damn.

bass_player15
09-04-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by redwing_suck
who knew that JPJ wrote the riff to "black dog"?

yeah, he's insane at the guitar, and he's got the keyboard, organ, bass organ, harmonica, bass guitar, mandolin, and i believe some type of woodwind. damn.

he may play harmonica but that was Robert Plant you heard busting out on the harmonica in Led Zeppelin. he doesnt play a wood wind. he has a keyboard setting that imitates one. thats wut u hear at the intro to Stairway to Heaven. organ and keyboard can be considered the same thing so there is no point in listing both. and yes he is an insane guitarist.

dionysus85
09-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by ledzep99
Does anyone know any good sites to get good led zeppelin pictures of them playing live? I did a google image search and didn't find any good pictures.

£"$"

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/

damn good site with lots of everything, including heaps of great pics

As for Robert Plants vocals on "Bring it on Home", it sortof sounded like he was battling a bad case of gingavitis or something. You could almost hear his gums bleeding. God love em for it though.

its a take on an old blues song called "bring it back" if you hear the original version you will know why he sang it like that
the recording equipment in the 40's that the black bluesmen recorded on was sh*thouse, and thats the style they sang it in, he was just covering the style and i think he did a great job

phantom lord363
09-04-2004, 08:58 AM
i think JPJ is truly a god! but anyway at the mo the 2 songs of Led Zep that ive been listening to a lot is the black mountain side (so i learnt it :D) and the lemon song (just looove the bass in that song so much)

RiseAgainst
09-04-2004, 03:27 PM
alright, i love Led Zeppelin. though i haven't listened to much except for theBest of Led Zeppelin which i will cherish as one of my favorites

Jimi444
09-04-2004, 04:51 PM
^ ok i really don't get what you are going at but if you want to hear more led zeppelin songs you should buy led zeppelin II. great album ;).

afifury69
09-04-2004, 05:25 PM
the first full song i learned of zep was of course stairway. my favorite is no quarter because its sorta dif for led zeppelin my favorite album is prolly 2 and the best solo is on since ive been loving you

Jimi444
09-04-2004, 05:30 PM
my first led zeppelin song was heartbreaker (i think) and then i learned whole lotta love and then i learned stairway to heaven then i learned the immigrant song and then i learned kashmir and then i learned...

ChristianRocker
09-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by The Shadow
Speaking of Bring It On Home, are Plant's vocals during the opening slowed down? He certainly sounds a bit odd, which kinda spoils the intro for me.

He sang it through a harmonica mic to sound like the original.

bassdrum
09-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by afifury69
the first full song i learned of zep was of course stairway. my favorite is no quarter because its sorta dif for led zeppelin my favorite album is prolly 2 and the best solo is on since ive been loving you

no quarter isnt led zeppelin.. its robert plant.

AuthenticBass
09-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Ok... Zepp question here...

I was at this lounge, and there was an all cover band.. and they played a Led Zepp song. It was amazing and they played it well. And it had like a 10 minute drum solo in the middle of the song. The drummer started soloing and all the other members left the stage, got somethin to drink.. and just watched the solo. Then they all went back on stage.. he finished the drum solo.. and they finished the song. It was ****in insane. Whats the name of the song.

Thankx

bassdrum
09-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Moby Dick

a-brownsound41
09-05-2004, 03:50 PM
did he play it with his hands?

or just sticks

James Page
09-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Do any of you know any strange and obscure zeppelin facts or interesting facts?

ZepHedJack
09-05-2004, 04:38 PM
^^ http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/assorted3.html

loads of assorted Zeppelin stuff

bassdrum
09-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by a-brownsound41
did he play it with his hands?

or just sticks

he plays with both...He throws the sticks somwhere in the middle.

zeppelin_05
09-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by bassdrum
no quarter isnt led zeppelin.. its robert plant.

he's talking about the song no quarter, its in the houses of the holy LP, if you don't believe me check the discography at www.ledzeppelin.com :rolleyes:

Matty Ramone
09-06-2004, 04:41 AM
SOMETHING THAT BOTHERS ME ALOT

in the how the west was won DVD

Royal alberts hall part

whats with Jimmy Pages SWEATER VEST THING,FOR ****S SAKES it looks really gay

is there a story behind it or did he think it looked cool?

starįlfur
09-06-2004, 09:30 AM
does anyone know if the song white summer is on one of Zeppelin's albums or just the DVD? cause i saw it on the DVD but i havent seen it on any of their albums.

James Page
09-06-2004, 12:04 PM
They have Black Mountain Side on Zeppelin I which is similar and the box set has White Summer/Black Mountain Side. But the majority of White summer on the DVD is Improv. Page started Playing it while still touring with The Yardbirds.

la bamba
09-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by AuthenticBass
Ok... Zepp question here...

I was at this lounge, and there was an all cover band.. and they played a Led Zepp song. It was amazing and they played it well. And it had like a 10 minute drum solo in the middle of the song. The drummer started soloing and all the other members left the stage, got somethin to drink.. and just watched the solo. Then they all went back on stage.. he finished the drum solo.. and they finished the song. It was ****in insane. Whats the name of the song.

Thankx

best bet is moby dick.... as said before

the thing that would decide it though, did it have any lyrics? if not, im 99% sure its moby dick

ZepHedJack
09-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Matty Ramone

Royal alberts hall part

:haha

It was the seventies.

bassdrum
09-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin_05
he's talking about the song no quarter, its in the houses of the holy LP, if you don't believe me check the discography at www.ledzeppelin.com :rolleyes:

ok, sorry about that.

TNfootballfan62
09-07-2004, 12:18 PM

Royal alberts hall part

look at robert plant, he is there on stage with those high heels super tight pants and hes playing the tamborine, on most, that would be really gay, but robert plant makes it work:D :cheers:

zapped_by_zepp
09-07-2004, 02:56 PM
zeppelin.well i guess my ID says it all

robert plantt...neva been a vocalist like him....
jimmy paige...well known as a guitar god...cant stress it more
jpj....the most under rateed musician of all times...but all u zep fans know...no one plays bass like him...
john........cant put him in words.........

well dat sums it all.wish zeppelin was stll playin....

SAYING NETHIN ABT THE BAND IS AN UNDAHSTATEMENT....so wuld not talk much

Michael_Frazier
09-07-2004, 04:53 PM
"Whats up with the sweater vest?" you ask....

Only he could pull it off. You couldn't however...because you've been sadly misguided on what's gay or not. As for Robert Plant's tight pants.....you think they did that for the guys. If so...please leave. Rock'n'roll was all about the ladies back then.....well...ladies and drugs....and fast cars, and the occasional Friday Night pizza party (nothing says rock like a bulging gut full of greasy food). Showcasing your goods off to the female crowd was a good way to ensure you had plenty of groupies to keep you busy back at the motel after the show.

About "Black Mountain Slide": This song is in fact a small piece of White Summer, sometimes referred to as White Summer/Black Mountain Slide. The song was original a part of "The Yardbirds" repetoire back when Page was playing for them (interesting fact: Led Zeppelin is actually the Yardbirds under a different name, after the other members left, he had to rebuild the group into the Zeppelin we know today). It can be found in on the new DVD set, but it never appeared in its entirety on any of their studio recordings. Only Black Mountain Slide (a small segment of White Summer) is to be found on Led Zeppelin I, their debut album. Of course there is the exception of "White Summer/Black Mountain Slide" appearing on the Led Zeppelin Box set of all of their recordings but that was just a compilation of all recordings including some pieces not originally on studio stuff. You will also find "Traveling Riverside Blues" in the Box Set which is a cover of a Robert Johnson song. I believe they took this particular recording from the session recordings they did at the BBC, but I'm not sure though. I remember making a comparison of it to the Boxed Set version and I think they were the same, correct me if I'm wrong). You can find all of these recordings on "Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions".

ChristianRocker
09-07-2004, 08:03 PM

Royal alberts hall part

When you can play guitar that good you can wear whatever you want.

Jimmy_Page_Fan
09-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Yup, Zeppelin aren't exactly like Kiss, they're not so image obsessed. Besides Page's clothing is cool.

Matty Ramone
09-07-2004, 09:28 PM
I love White Summer, I think its one of the most amazing guitar solos ever, how hard is it really? can any body here seriously play it?

Thoms
09-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Recently, I've been wondering...

Did Jimmy Page ever play a strat?

I know that he has his LP's, his Danelectro, his tele...

But did he ever play a strat?

jono034
09-08-2004, 10:01 AM
yes he had a couple but really only used one while in Zeppelin. . . a 60's model painted in Psychadelic colors used in "In the Evening" and on the album Presence.

check out this site for all of your Pagey gear needs ;)

http://www.garee.ch/zeppelin/gearPage.html

and this one for your Led Zeppelin gear needs. . .

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/gear.html

ChristianRocker
09-08-2004, 05:20 PM
I love White Summer, I think its one of the most amazing guitar solos ever, how hard is it really? can any body here seriously play it?

The first part(before it gets fast is easy) and Black Mountain Side isn't too hard if you can finger pick. The middle part(the really fast part) looks pretty tough and the tab on this site is hard to read, but I think it could be done.

TNfootballfan62
09-08-2004, 09:30 PM
about the strat thing, i remember seeing him play one on the dvd, but i dont remeber what song or concert or even which disk.

Jimmy_Page_Fan
09-08-2004, 10:02 PM
In The Evening, Disc 2, Knebworth.

TNfootballfan62
09-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy_Page_Fan
In The Evening, Disc 2, Knebworth.

heh, thanks, im gonna go watch it now:D :cheers:

12thfret
09-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Hey...Led Zeppelin is a GREAT band....one of the best...if anybody thinks otherwise....your crazy

dionysus85
09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Zeppelin71 in non-zeppelin thread
Here's a fun bit of information. In a mid-seventies concert, before the release of "Presence", Led Zeppelin was performing at Knebworth. While in the 22 minute song, "Dazed and Confused", Jimmy starts thrashing around on the guitar. Normal Zep setting?
So far.

Then out of nowhere, comes the progression straight out of the intro to "Achilles Last Stand"!! Okay, so maybe it's not that interesting or unheard of. I thought it was cool. Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this with the ever-popular rock gods?

on dazed and confused TSRTS roughly 5-6 mins in, they start playing "going to san francisco", however what page is playing is a slower version of the riff that will eventually become part of achilles last stand, "Ahhh, Ahhh im gonna reign gonna reign gonna reign"
have a listen if you dont believe me

it wouldnt surprise me if there were 100 more things like this in zep songs, there was so much improv and experimentation in there live shows, that im sure heaps of riffs and progressions were born on stage

Originally posted by 12thfret
Hey...Led Zeppelin is a GREAT band....one of the best...if anybody thinks otherwise....your crazy

agreed, BTW, godspeed and best of luck getting your post count up

Michael_Frazier
09-09-2004, 09:59 PM
OH MY GOD.....YOU IDIOT.....THE SONG IS "GOING TO CALIFORNIA". PLEASE LEAVE

And the line wasn't "I'm gonna reign..."......It's "I'm gonna rain." That's imagery describing how much he's gonna cry. He says the same thing in some versions of "Since I've Been Loving You." Because the song is moody blues.

Michael_Frazier
09-09-2004, 10:02 PM
I do remember that Knebworth performance. Was that the one in their later years? I remember seeing Page absolutely soaked in his own sweat. All those cigarettes, whiskey, and heroine must of finally had their repercussions. It almost looked like he was in pain! SERIOUSLY! Back when I was reading some **** book about them being the devil....I thought Satan was taking his toll on Page. But that was all bull****. I'm sure it was just the substance abuse.

As for more stuff with the strat....he recorded "D'yer Maker" and "The Crunge" with a stratocaster, among other songs. He used the telecaster a lot too. And a Vox 12-string. He used the telecaster on the solo to "Stairway to Heaven" in fact. You know which one I"m talking about...the one with the cool dragon decal on the body.

dionysus85
09-09-2004, 11:01 PM
going to california is a completly diffrent song, what he sings on the TSRTS verion of dazed and confused is going to san francisco dumb ass

plant sings - "if your going to san francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair, if your going to san francisco your gonna meet a lot of diffrent people there, every where, every where every where "

sounds nothing like, "Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine. Made up my mind to make a new start, Going To California with an aching in my heart" does it

whether its "reign" or "rain" is arguable, neither can be confirmed, listen to the lyrics, both are acceptable you wanker

bass_player15
09-10-2004, 03:35 AM
this is a pointless argument becuz both of u have strong unchanging opinions.

on a lighter not i just over heard some idiot kid saying how he just recently gone to see John Bonham in concert and how he was still good after all these years. he also went on to say that the drummer from Billy Talent was better. if he hadnt been 2 years younger then me, i may have kicked the living sh!t out of him

jono034
09-10-2004, 03:40 AM
OH MY GOD.....YOU IDIOT.....THE SONG IS "GOING TO CALIFORNIA". PLEASE LEAVE!

Stop telling people to leave. . . you have no right to tell them to leave or stay. This is twice you have done this. If you cut someone down like that again you will earn yourself a warning. . . :peace:

TNfootballfan62
09-10-2004, 12:03 PM
^^^yea, not to mention he was wrong after all, i find that quite ironic and hilarious

phantom lord363
09-10-2004, 01:35 PM

Yeah i love white summer, but doesnt he like change it every time he plays it?

phantom lord363
09-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by TNfootballfan62
^^^yea, not to mention he was wrong after all, i find that quite ironic and hilarious

im not sure what he was talkin bout but if he was just talkin bout the song (as it looks from the quote) then i thought it was "going to california"??

wonderboy47
09-10-2004, 07:08 PM
"III" and "Houses of the Holy" are both quite underrated, but which one does everyone think is the better of the two?

Jimmy_Page_Fan
09-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Houses of the Holy, and it's not very under rated to me. I'd say it's 1 of their best 3 albums.

bass_player15
09-10-2004, 07:51 PM
yes houses of the holy would definately be my fav of the 2. w00t! i got the 100th post

heartbreaker101
09-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Led Zeppelin II is prolly my fav album by them, and certainly my fav album that i own

12thfret
09-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Nobody doesnt like Led Zeppelin....there just too dam good. Amazing.

dionysus85
09-10-2004, 10:07 PM
i love III
my personal fav album by far
people gave them alot of flack over it when it first came out coz they were such a heavy band and then they released III, which has a few accoustic numbers on it, and they were saying how zeppelin ahve gone soft, but it has some heavy songs on it, and probably the best songs in my opinion

page59
09-10-2004, 10:58 PM

sadly this statement is completly false. i wish everyone could see the greatness that led zeppelin is but some(specifically my own sister) do not like them. their loss though, not mine.

TNfootballfan62
09-11-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by phantom lord363
im not sure what he was talkin bout but if he was just talkin bout the song (as it looks from the quote) then i thought it was "going to california"??

whoa, now im really confused about this whole conversation, ok, screw it, i say we drop that one

wow n00b, your really trying to get that post count up arent you:D

dionysus85
09-11-2004, 03:12 AM
read what i said again
im saying the same riff appears in dazed and confused (TSRTS version [important]) as does in achilles last stand

the riff im talking about is about 6:00 in, and plant is singing going to san francisco (no, not going to california, going to san francisco)

in achilles last stand, its the part where he sings im gonna reign ( or rain, whichever you prefer)

i hope that cleaed it up
and i know im right coz im listening to it right now

sorry to sound c*cky or stuborn, but i hate being told im wrong when i know im right :D

phantom lord363
09-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Im guessing we're talkin bout fav album, id probably say either I or III.....maybe II......maybe physical graphetti........maybe houses of the holy, I dunnO!!!

bassdrum
09-11-2004, 08:26 PM
mine would be III

Danfan3
09-11-2004, 08:53 PM
IV would be my favorite

aznman
09-11-2004, 10:33 PM
FAVORTIE ZEPPELIN CD OF THE MONTH GOES TO!!!!!

zeppelin III-
come on now u guys...tangerines acustics...
out on the tiles"hey lets go run naked in the middle of the street screaming profanity" feeling....and the immigrant song is self explanitory....

Kill em all89
09-11-2004, 10:45 PM
i know i've asked this question a million times but no one seems to answer it. does anyone know the song they play in that whole lotta love medley from the song remains the same dvd.

Jimmy_Page_Fan
09-11-2004, 10:57 PM
^ I can play parts of it...

Matty Ramone
09-12-2004, 04:45 AM
I do love Zep 3
Thats the way
Gallow's pole
Out on the tiles
Friends

are my absolute favorites

Joey .G
09-12-2004, 11:15 AM

Actually lately I dont want anything to do with Zep , I just cant stand Robert Plant's voice. Besisdes Led Zep 3 I just cant listen to them. I dont hate them and I do enjoy listening to the occasional song like "When The Leevee Breaks or "the Rain Song", but I seemn to be the only one so far who doesnt like robert plant.

zeppelin_05
09-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Led Zep 3 is a great record but i dont like it as much as Physical Graffiti, Houses of the Holy or IV. I don't think they were as much inspired as in those other 3.

TNfootballfan62
09-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Joey .G
Actually lately I dont want anything to do with Zep , I just cant stand Robert Plant's voice. Besisdes Led Zep 3 I just cant listen to them. I dont hate them and I do enjoy listening to the occasional song like "When The Leevee Breaks or "the Rain Song", but I seemn to be the only one so far who doesnt like robert plant.

wow, you probably are the only one that doesnt like robert plant, i think that he is one of the best singers in rock and roll history, and most people will agree with me, but hey man, you can have your own opinion:cheers:

bass_player15
09-13-2004, 02:12 AM
wow, you probably are the only one that doesnt like robert plant, i think that he is one of the best singers in rock and roll history, and most people will agree with me, but hey man, you can have your own opinion:cheers:

ya robert plant probably has one of the most seductive voices around. i wish i had a voice like that. then i could get all the ladies. well that and be famous

ledzep99
09-13-2004, 11:32 AM
What sort of acoustic guitar does Page use?

And what sort of strings does he use in it and for his LP.

TNfootballfan62
09-13-2004, 12:22 PM
im pretty sure he played martin acoustics and im pretty sure he used ernie ball super slinkies on his LPs, i know he used ernie balls, im just not 100% on the size

thejester
09-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Kill em all89
i am pretty sure that song that you are referring to is called, boogie chillun.

Jimmy_Page_Fan
09-13-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure his Ernie Ball strings are .009.... I heard somewhere all he used for electrics were 009s.

Antonio Ulfers
09-13-2004, 06:05 PM
i know i've asked this question a million times but no one seems to answer it. does anyone know the song they play in that whole lotta love medley from the song remains the same dvd.

First he goes into a version of The Crunge, but it is played a lot different, and then parts of it are from Bring it on Home, and what thejester said. And, I think a lot of it is improvised.

I think there was one other song, but I cant remember it now.

la bamba
09-13-2004, 07:09 PM
aw i thought i might bring this up. my 7 year old brother had his first zeppelin experience today. i was watchin the zeppelin dvd and it was the madison square garden one, black dog, when theres that little pause where plant goes "ah-ah" then the crowd goes "ah-ah" and it repeats.... my bro started singing with the crowd... it was real cute :D

a-brownsound41
09-13-2004, 07:49 PM
HaHaHa^

What kind of distortion pedal did jimmy use
or did he just over drive his amp

TNfootballfan62
09-13-2004, 08:58 PM
although i dont have much experience with the kind of equipment jimmy used, i wouldnt think he needed a distortion pedal, you can get a lot of power from a LP and a marshal(i think he used a marshall)

dionysus85
09-13-2004, 11:29 PM
i read somewherere he uses a roger mayer tonebender fuzz box
but he may also have used amp overdrive

bass_player15
09-14-2004, 04:00 AM
ya he probably used both. although he did make some pretty crazy sounds through a clean channel on his guitar

dionysus85
09-14-2004, 09:54 AM
i heard that for the solo in since ive been lovin you, he walked into the studio, plugged in his guitar straight into the amp, pressed record, and "VOILA" in one take, the solo (possibly my fav zep solo) was done
damn hes good

TNfootballfan62
09-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by dionysus85
i heard that for the solo in since ive been lovin you, he walked into the studio, plugged in his guitar straight into the amp, pressed record, and "VOILA" in one take, the solo (possibly my fav zep solo) was done
damn hes good

wow, really? thats amazing

:down: jimmy page

phantom lord363
09-14-2004, 01:29 PM
damn hes good

wow....what a legened that man rele is

The Shadow
09-14-2004, 03:54 PM
By the way, the song referred to earlier in the thread is Zep's cover version of Scott MacKenzie's 1967 hit "San Francisco", which they included in the live "Dazed and Confused" medley for a while.

Joey .G
09-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by bass_player15
ya robert plant probably has one of the most seductive voices around. i wish i had a voice like that. then i could get all the ladies. well that and be famous

I loved Led Zep 1-4 but after that Robert Plant got way to whiney for me but he didnt really whine in the earlier years. It's songs like All Of My Love that turn me offf to Led's later albums

Antonio Ulfers
09-14-2004, 10:28 PM
^ I think that it was Jimmy Page who said that even he didn't like that song. With Plant singing "all of my love" over and over. He thought it didn't fit the band.

I like the early days more, but their later stuff is still good, especially Physical Graffiti.

TNfootballfan62
09-14-2004, 10:43 PM
although all of my love isnt one of my favorites, i cant help but love it, i like to listen to it for a change every now and then, i think it shows the range of the bands musical talents

dionysus85
09-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by The Shadow
By the way, the song referred to earlier in the thread is Zep's cover version of Scott MacKenzie's 1967 hit "San Francisco", which they included in the live "Dazed and Confused" medley for a while.

thank you shadow

bass_player15
09-16-2004, 05:10 PM
well no one has posted in here in a little while so i suppose i should start something. my friend is arguing with me that its an 8 string mini-guitar that john paul jones plays and i say its a mandolin. he comes on here a fair bit so maybe he will see this. he's never even heard of a mandolin before. someone plz steer my friend in the right direction

~Rock~Guitarist
09-16-2004, 05:47 PM
^lol, its a mandolin. if you look on some of their albums it should probably say something like this on the band line-up:

John Paul Jones: Bass, Mandolin, Keyboards

and plus there is no such thing as an 8 string mini-guitar :p:

wonderboy47
09-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Did anyone hear Jimmy Page on Rockline last nite? Any thoughts? This isn't a local radio program, by the way, it's national.

I thought he seemed kind of awkward and wasn't the most eloquent speaker. He's still awesome, though.

GiveUpTheGhost
09-16-2004, 09:43 PM
I found this (http://www.inthelight.co.nz/ledzep/zososymbol.htm) this on google a while ago.It's pretty interesting.

dionysus85
09-16-2004, 09:57 PM
^^^
yeah i posted that on the old only zep thread

im gonna get it tattoed on my shoulder when i get some cash

good stuff ghostie

TNfootballfan62
09-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by wonderboy47
Did anyone hear Jimmy Page on Rockline last nite? Any thoughts? This isn't a local radio program, by the way, it's national.

I thought he seemed kind of awkward and wasn't the most eloquent speaker. He's still awesome, though.

he was on rockline?!?!?!?!?!?, i cant believe i missed it:(

acdc101
09-16-2004, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by a-brownsound41
[B]Plant sounds kind of like a deaf person trying to talk on the intro to bring it on home

ha

pepajaktbs2
09-17-2004, 03:23 PM
he may play harmonica but that was Robert Plant you heard busting out on the harmonica in Led Zeppelin. he doesnt play a wood wind. he has a keyboard setting that imitates one. thats wut u hear at the intro to Stairway to Heaven. organ and keyboard can be considered the same thing so there is no point in listing both. and yes he is an insane guitarist.

Meh... Daffy... maybe... Crazy... maybe... but not insane. :p:

count forstula
09-17-2004, 06:01 PM
overall, i think houses is better, but in my opinion, immagrant song is better than anything on it. except maybe the ocean.

PhatToil3t
09-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Wondering wat every1s favourite non mainstream led zep song was?

Mine would have to be when the levee breaks or since ive been lovin you

dionysus85
09-18-2004, 09:25 AM
bron-y-aur stomp

TNfootballfan62
09-18-2004, 10:11 AM
thats hard to say, mabey since ive been loving you if thats considered non-mainstream

zeppelin_05
09-18-2004, 01:53 PM
The Rain Song, but is Over the Hills and Far Away considered maisntream? because if it isnt im going with over the hills, then rain song and finally thank you.

L'arc~en~ciel
09-18-2004, 02:02 PM
You guys know there's a jimmy page interview on gibson.com rite? its under custom guitars and go flash version to see it.

TNfootballfan62
09-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin_05
The Rain Song, but is Over the Hills and Far Away considered maisntream? because if it isnt im going with over the hills, then rain song and finally thank you.

yea, i forgot about that one, so if its not mainstream, over the hills and far away

count forstula
09-18-2004, 09:30 PM
bron-y-aur stomp.

Jimmy_Page_Fan
09-18-2004, 10:51 PM
The Crunge as of lately.

pepajaktbs2
09-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by PhatToil3t
Wondering wat every1s favourite non mainstream led zep song was?

Mine would have to be when the levee breaks or since ive been lovin you

Pretty much every one of their songs besides Stairway, Whole Lotta Love, Dazed and Confused, D'yer Mak'er, All Of Your Love, Rock and Roll, Immigrant Song, Communication Breakdown and Kashmir are not mainstream so that's a very strange question.

bassdrum
09-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Tangerine is a good one (its my second favorite led zeppelin song anyway)

D-Fens
09-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Do you really think Stairway to Heaven is terribly difficult to play? It really doesn't seem to hard, although a wonderful piece.

Kill em all89
09-19-2004, 02:20 PM
I have found a link to the meaning of pages zoso symbol feel free to look at it http://www.inthelight.co.nz/ledzep/zososymbol.htm

Danfan3
09-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by D-Fens
Do you really think Stairway to Heaven is terribly difficult to play? It really doesn't seem to hard, although a wonderful piece.

Stairway to Heaven isn't hard to play but the guitar solo is hard to perfect.

redwing_suck
09-19-2004, 06:08 PM
well no one has posted in here in a little while so i suppose i should start something. my friend is arguing with me that its an 8 string mini-guitar that john paul jones plays and i say its a mandolin. he comes on here a fair bit so maybe he will see this. he's never even heard of a mandolin before. someone plz steer my friend in the right direction lol well a mandolin is shaped like a mini guitar and has 8 strings.... but it isnt called a mini 8-stringed guitar.... lol sorry but he's a moron.

TNfootballfan62
09-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Danfan3
Stairway to Heaven isn't hard to play but the guitar solo is hard to perfect.

i agree, i learned stairway to heaven most of the way through when i had only been playing guitar for mabey 6 months if even that much, now ive corrected and all but mastered it except for the solo, which im not very good at yet

L'arc~en~ciel
09-20-2004, 05:36 PM
That solo's actually one of his easier ones I think. What's so hard about it? Just bar the 5th fret for the notes. Are you talking about the live cause the live might be hard.

Antonio Ulfers
09-20-2004, 08:28 PM
^ parts of the live versions are amazing. The studio version isn't bad at all, just some of the repetitive parts are repeated fairly quickly.

TNfootballfan62
09-20-2004, 09:52 PM
its not that i cant play the solo, im just got to tired of the song and im too lazy to finish it:D

bass_player15
09-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by ~Rock~Guitarist
^lol, its a mandolin. if you look on some of their albums it should probably say something like this on the band line-up:

John Paul Jones: Bass, Mandolin, Keyboards

and plus there is no such thing as an 8 string mini-guitar :p:

well for some odd reason hes taking your word for it so thanks.

Matty Ramone
09-22-2004, 01:46 PM
"hots on for nowhere" is my fav zep song of all time
is that non mainstream enough for ya?

guitar36
09-22-2004, 03:23 PM
http://www.furious.com/perfect/yardbirds2.html

Normally I stay away from websites that bash Led zeppelin and stuff but I was searchin for something different and this came up so i read the majority... how much of it is true?

ZepHedJack
09-22-2004, 09:13 PM

Normally I stay away from websites that bash Led zeppelin and stuff but I was searchin for something different and this came up so i read the majority... how much of it is true?
Meh, some is correct, though alot is biased and stretching things.

TNfootballfan62
09-23-2004, 12:12 PM
ok, ive read alot of stuff on the internet that claimed the Zoso symbol stood for 666, is this true? does anyone know? i really hope its not, if it is, im gonna lose alot of respect for jimmy page

ZepHedJack
09-23-2004, 06:13 PM
ok, ive read alot of stuff on the internet that claimed the Zoso symbol stood for 666, is this true? does anyone know? i really hope its not, if it is, im gonna lose alot of respect for jimmy page
I'm quite sure someone just posted this, but
http://www.inthelight.co.nz/ledzep/zososymbol.htm

That is quite possibly the best investigation into what Jimmy's symbol stands for..

So in summary, Jimmy Page's symbol is a magickal sigil for the planet Saturn, which rules Capricorn, Jimmy's astrological sun sign.

Sounds good to me :cheers:

Michael_Frazier
09-24-2004, 01:31 AM
It has many speculated meanings in fact. There are many interpretations of it.

Called "Zoso" because it resembles a word, this glyph is one of four enigmatic symbols appearing on the cover of rock group Led Zeppelin's album Four, this symbol was chosen by guitarist Jimmy Page as a personal emblem.

The symbol is probably derived from a sixteenth century treatise by mathemetician and hermeticist (alchemist) and occultist Girolamo Cardano, where it is used to represent the planet Saturn for purposes of magick (an occult following that Page openly explored). The name of the work was "Ars Magica Arteficii". Page is a Capricorn, a sign ruled by Saturn.What it means personally to Page is unknown, as he has never publically revealed its meaning, but his interest in magick is well known. Some have speculated that since "Saturn" (roman god) or its greek relative "Hades" (greek god) are both considered the "god of the underworld", that Page drew a connection between that and Lucifer or the devil. I'm not sure what to think myself. If you want to learn more, purchase the book "Fallen Angel" by Thomas Friend. He explores a lot of the satanic background to Jimmy Page. You know what.....I take that book referal back, because Thomas Friend is an asshole. To sum it all up he thinks Jimmy Page is one of Satan's personal minions.......bull****.....I think buying it and reading it halfway through will creep you out and provoke a late night book burning...only to find the book on your night stand facing you the next morning (creepy...don't buy!).

I've also heard ZOSO refered to as a symbol of the balance between good and evil. Comparable to the "ying-yang" which I'm sure many of you are familiar with (black and white orb). Also, some have thought that ZOSO is the name of the three-head hound that guards the gates of hell. That version has recently appeared in many anti-pagan manuals on "occult-related crime". But they say only Jimmy knows the true meaning of it and he refuses to expose it to anyone. I've heard that he told Plant its meaning once and he later forgot. Upon mentioning to Page at that point, Page refused to tell him again. Somebody said that one of the guys on one of the recent Page/Plant tours asked Page once, and was answered with deathly silence.

AS FOR THE REST OF THE SYMBOLS......

The feather in the circle is Robert Plants symbol and is an old book called "The Sacred Symbols of Mu." Robert Plant explains; "My symbol was drawn from the ancient Mu civilization, which existed about 15,000 years ago as part of a lost continent somewhere in the Pacific Ocean somewhere between China and Mexico. All sorts of things can be tied in with the Mu civilization, even the Easter Island effigies. These Mu people left stone tablets with their symbols inscribed into them all over the place..in Mexico, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, China and other places, and they all date from the same time period! The feather, a symbol on which all sorts of philosophies have been based and which has a very interesting heritage. For instance, it represents courage to many Red Indian tribes...I like people to lay down the truth. No bull****. That's what the feather in the circle is all about."

John Paul Jones' symbol is the 3 ovals interlocking a circle and is from the same era thought to represent unity and family. It is also thought to represent a person who is confident and competent because it was difficult to draw accurately.

John Bonhams symbol is the three interlocking circles, Robert Plant once stated that he always thought it meant the trilogy, man, woman and child (Bonham was a big family man) but also observed it was also the emblem of Ballantine beer. (note: Bonham was known to enjoy "the drink" on more than one occasion. I'm sure you know it finally was the end of him.)

Michael_Frazier
09-24-2004, 01:57 AM
"Since I've Been Loving You" is my favorite non-mainstream Zeppelin tune. I'm refering to the studio version of course. The live version just doesn't appeal too much to me, no offense to any of you. I'm talking about the version on the DVD box set of course. I just don't like the way it starts or some of the improvisation because it gets a little sloppy and doesn't resemble the original very much. But to be completely honest, I absolutely adore the live version they did on the more recent "No Quarter" tour. Page added a rhythm score for a strings orchestra and it complimented the original piece so well, and Page stayed within the parameters of the original pretty well also.

Note to self: finish tabbing that particular song and post it.

dionysus85
09-24-2004, 12:38 PM

talk about propaganda, this coulda been put together by michael moore

yeah thyre not really lying as such on it, but theres ALOT of half truths and this guy obviously has it out for zep,the track by tracklook at the songs is pretty dodgy, if you look at just about any record made around the 60's, thyre full of old blues covers, the only reason that they changed the credit is coz they sound nothing like the original, maybe they could have done a sorta " w. dixon- arr. by page/plant" like ive seen on creams crossroads (r. johnson arr. clapton) but what are you gonna do

ZEPPELIN RULES :D

sorry had to say it

Michael_Frazier
09-24-2004, 03:53 PM
I don't appreciate people bashing Led Zeppelin like the fellow that created that website above. Nobody has any logic anymore. You know how guitarists like Clapton, Page, and Beck got to be as good as they are today? By emulating the styles of their favorite artists, those just happening to be some of the greatest bluesmen of all time like Willie Dixon and Robert Johnson. I think we're all guilty of that, otherwise this site wouldn't be in existence. On more than one occasion, all of these guitarists were known to play covers of these songs......some may ask why.....the answer simple......because they like it. Covering other peoples songs is a good way to mature as a musician, especially if you add your own stylings to it. I think that playing these songs was a gesture of respect to the songs' originators, and they need to accept it openly. To tell you the honest truth though, most early blues does revolve around a few simple chord progressions, like the common V-IV-I. It's pretty hard to get away from sounding like somebody else when tradition dictates that this progression is good for blues. I mean, you should listen to the few Robert Johnson tracks that he made, around 34 or them I believe. They all sound the same, have like chord progressions and have very similar turnarounds. I don't hear anybody complaining that Johnson plaigerized his own music! It's pretty assanine for everybody to bull**** about how great they are when they're really just playing the stuff everybody already knows.

An interesting little fact: I remember hearing that somewhere in Europe (Sweden or Austria, can't remember) there is an organization for musical creation. They have some huge cash prize for anyone who can originate a song composition that is unlike any other in history. Nobody has won that prize yet.....you know why.....because only so many songs can be created based on the rules of music theory. I'm not saying that we've entered an age where everything is a copy of something else (although today's music is pretty much generic rock), I'm just saying that nobody today takes it upon themself to learn enough music in order to create anything unique. That's why I hate modern music, it's all yesterdays news. For example, the major scale contains 7 tones that dictate 7 what the music may sound like.....you know what, before I go any further I'm just gonna cut myself off because I could ramble on the subject of music theory for days....
sorry

count forstula
09-24-2004, 04:35 PM
michael_frazier, i mean no offence, but pluto is the roman god of the underworld, not saturn, so it is doubtful that page was making a connection between that and the devil. which is sorta a relief. id hate to hear one of my heroes was satanic. but it was very informative. i have been wondering what the symbols stood for.

Michael_Frazier
09-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah......I must have been mixed up or something although I recall something to that affect. I just can't remember and to be truthful, I don't want to because it just brings back memories from reading that book and some of that stuff was a little too heavy for me. The author even states that the book may be a little too intense for true believers in Satan (I don't love Satan by the way). But to tell you the truth....Jimmy Page was one of satan's followers, openly. I don't like to acknowledge that myself, but it became quite evident in my readings and observations of some of the stuff he did over the years (interviews, appearances). That particular author argues a good point although i don't agree with some of the stuff he says. I could elaborate but I'm not gonna. Thanks for letting me know I was wrong about that one little detail. I'm pretty sure the rest is accurate based on my references.

page59
09-24-2004, 10:01 PM
it doesn't really bother me that jimmy was mixed up in all that stuff, cus he's out of it now, and thats the important thing.

Make sure that you all take a few hours of silence in memory of John Bonham tomorrow(sept. 25). its the 24th anniversary of his death. That always makes me sad to think about him being dead.

count forstula
09-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by page59
it doesn't really bother me that jimmy was mixed up in all that stuff, cus he's out of it now, and thats the important thing.

Make sure that you all take a few hours of silence in memory of John Bonham tomorrow(sept. 25). its the 24th anniversary of his death. That always makes me sad to think about him being dead.

it is? i didnt realize. thanks for saying something. and i guess thinking back to hammer of the gods(i recommend any of you who havent read it do) page was a little satanic, maybe, but it always seemed like he was just sort of interested in black magic and stuff, but not necesarily(SP?) a follower of satan, or whatever. but i guess you cant hide from the truth. you are right, though,at least hes out.

TNfootballfan62
09-24-2004, 11:51 PM
i really really really hope jimmy page wasnt satanic, i guess im gonna stop thinking about him as a person and start listening to his kick ass guitar playing:D , and the anniversary of bonhams death makes me sad:(

heartbreaker101
09-25-2004, 09:48 AM
ya its hard to beleive that it has been almost a quartar of a century since he passed away.

P.S Page59, u beat me to it, i was gonna say almost the exact same thing about bonham
oh well R.I.P Bonzo

Jimmy_Page_Fan
09-25-2004, 10:12 AM
He'll be fine.... he can just take his Stairway up to heaven.

bassdrum
09-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Am I crazy, or does Cover Me by Candlebox resemble parts of Led Zeppelin Songs? It may have been because I listened to these songs back to back but... Look at the Cover Me by Candlebox the riff kind of resembles Stairway, when Jimmy Page goes into the solo, and the picking part resembles the picking in Tangerine.

longdude
09-25-2004, 11:38 AM
I think that everyone who plays guitar or has a decent taste in music would agree that stairway to heaven is an amazinging song it is the definition of a classic song.

Roland73
09-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Yes Led Zeppelin is my favorite band and always will be. I'd say my favorite song is either the Rain Song or Achilles Last Stand.

You guys need to get a Led Zeppelin Avatar.

Jimmy Page, by my opinion, is the best guitarist ever. Led Zeppelin has made songs over so many styles. Well whatever.

bassdrum
09-25-2004, 12:41 PM
actually Roland, when you get 50 posts go to www.ledzeppelin.com and you can get a Led Zep Avvy.

Bilzzard_of_Ozz
09-26-2004, 06:50 AM
no body plays drums like the late great Bonzo and nobody will

:cheers: True:cheers: True:cheers:

No-one will ever play like Bonzo!

liman
09-27-2004, 04:33 AM
actually Roland, when you get 50 posts go to www.ledzeppelin.com and you can get a Led Zep Avvy.

yes it's true, but i have to say that noone could play or can play guitar like Jimi Hendrix=)

hendrixpage
09-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by liman
but i have to say that noone could play or can play guitar like Jimi Hendrix=)

I hear that brother, although i have to say that Jimmy P. is my favourite guitarist of all time

L'arc~en~ciel
09-27-2004, 05:43 PM
does anyone know where to find som good Jimmy Page shredding tabs? I got guitar pro and the exercise from mysongbook.com is pretty useless. Anyone got any tabs of Jimmy shredding live?

dionysus85
09-28-2004, 10:09 AM
theres the TSRTS version of stairway on there thats really good, not too tricky either check it out

magic_bus
09-28-2004, 10:13 AM
you can always go all the way and complete your play of dazed and confused man

L'arc~en~ciel
09-28-2004, 11:33 AM
I actually want something that's tricky and stairway I know like the back of my hand (including solo). I would actually like to learn dazed and confuse like it was played on TSRTS but can't find the tab anywhere for the shred parts.

ChristianRocker
09-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Learn white summer from the Led Zeppelin dvd(disc 1).

magic_bus
09-28-2004, 11:30 PM
L'arc~en~ciel-try this site called, http://www.rockmagic.net/guitar-tabs then search your song

The Shadow
09-29-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by L'arc~en~ciel
does anyone know where to find som good Jimmy Page shredding tabs? I got guitar pro and the exercise from mysongbook.com is pretty useless. Anyone got any tabs of Jimmy shredding live?

Jimmy Page does not shred. He plays pretty damn fast, but he never shreds. I'm not going to get started on how much I dislike shredding, but if Page was a shredder, I would lose my respect for him.

L'arc~en~ciel
09-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Isn't shred just the name of the technique? You don't have to get offended.

a-brownsound41
09-29-2004, 05:12 PM
whos the other singer on bron yr aur stomp from how the west was won

Jimmy_Page_Fan
09-29-2004, 05:19 PM
The other singer was John Bonham, never call Page a shred player again, it's very offensive.

L'arc~en~ciel
09-29-2004, 05:23 PM
I'm not saying he's a shred monkey like van halen, I never even called him a shred player, but going fast on the guitar is technically called shred isn't it? And isn't that what Jimmy does live? Or should I keep saying playing fast from now on.

bassdrum
09-29-2004, 06:56 PM
I don't get why being a shredder is so offensive... I mean if people called him a pot smoker, you don't get offended (or do you?).... Also (to some extent) he was sort of a satanist.... That was probably really stupid to say, go ahead and flame.

CtrlAltDel
09-29-2004, 08:58 PM
I don't get why being a shredder is so offensive... I mean if people called him a pot smoker, you don't get offended (or do you?).... Also (to some extent) he was sort of a satanist.... That was probably really stupid to say, go ahead and flame.
I wouldn't find calling Page a shredder OFFENSIVE, I don't think his playing style really matches the description of "shred" though. There's no reason to get offended by it.

As for the satanist stuff, from what I've heard, he doesn't call himself one at all. He says he is fascinated by the work of Aleister Crowley, but that hardly makes him a satanist. Still, somewhere along the line he must have done some stuff involving satanism.

page59
09-29-2004, 09:14 PM
but you have to realise, one out of every three art students in england back in the sixties was into the occult and majik.

and shredding is very different from soloing the way pagey does. page is just so more, sopistocated (for lack of a better word), when playing. like jpj said once, its about serving the music, not the instrument.

TNfootballfan62
09-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by a-brownsound41
and how do you stop being a newbie

if you mean how do you get the word newbie of your name, you should read the faq and deserve to be reported

if you mean how do you stop going about your newbie ways, first off, stop posts like that one, dont double post, 2ndly, DONT PUT THIS CRAP IN THE ONLY LED ZEPPELIN THREAD, SHEESH:angry:

Kill em all89
09-29-2004, 11:38 PM
What is Jimmy Page's finish on his les paul? I want a gibson les paul classic and i was wondering what finish he had?

Word of the Day
09-30-2004, 06:02 AM
Well, I'll be picking up the Zeppelin DVD today. I hope it's as good as everyone says. If not, I'll be pissed.:p:

dionysus85
09-30-2004, 10:13 AM
^^^
you won't be disapointed

L'arc~en~ciel
09-30-2004, 11:12 AM
For Jimmy's finish, people say its honey burst but then when you compare actual honey burst to it they look different so I'm not sure. The dvd kicks ass. You haven't experienced Zeppelin until you see it (or watch them live, but ya you get the point).

YouKnowYourRite
09-30-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm watching the DVD now, I got it last weekend, I wasn't much of a Led zep fan back them but i'm hooked now.

Bilzzard_of_Ozz
09-30-2004, 12:03 PM
What is Jimmy Page's finish on his les paul? I want a gibson les paul classic and i was wondering what finish he had?

It's one of those that are made too look really vintage and old, hand-made by this guy on Gibson... Tom something I think.
They're expensive as hell, though.

jono034
09-30-2004, 12:25 PM
They actually call it "Page Burst" for his Sig Les Paul. . .

as for the original guitar, you will find that many people label it as "Vintage Burst" because I believe it was the only burst color at that point in time (1958-1959). . .

Word of the Day
09-30-2004, 02:26 PM
^^^
you won't be disapointed

That's good. I'm getting it tonight.

keep truckin420
10-01-2004, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bass_player15
JPJ is the most uderrated musician and member of Led Zeppelin. who agrees with me?

Hell ya man jpj is the best bassist ever thanks for pointing that out that he is under rated.

Word of the Day
10-01-2004, 03:28 PM
I got the DVD. It is.

ChristianRocker
10-01-2004, 04:56 PM
In regards to page's guitar. On the gibson les paul classic it is closest to the honeyburst. On the gibson les paul standard it is closest to light burst.

bassdrum
10-02-2004, 11:40 AM
What is the difference between the classic and the standard???

WildCardDoW
10-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Meh I'm new here, theres no "I'm new, come and flam me" thread, so I thought as a Zeppelin fan I'ld post here :).

Yeah well I have most of their albums, their first four being my favourite, although I have a few favourite songs on their later albums.

So anyway...Hi :D.

Homer Gibson
10-02-2004, 07:06 PM
just was listening to heartbreaker, is there anyone on here that can actually play that gut bustin solo?

o ya and have they ever played that song live with the solo cus its not on the dvd

Cirrus Minor
10-02-2004, 08:19 PM
I own Led Zep II, IV and Houses of the Holy, and then early+Latter Days. My favorite is definetly Houses of the Holy, what other cd's are the most similar to that one, perhaps Physical Grafitti?

Jimmy_Page_Fan
10-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Heartbreaker's on the audio that came out at the same time. The solo's about 5 minutes in length in case you were wondering

Fedaykin
10-03-2004, 05:07 AM
Has anyone ever heard "No Quarter" played live by the late 70s?

They went on with it for like half an hour (kinda like Dazed on the early days)
And JPJ did a really jazz-like piano, and page started jamming along, very santana-ish, realy realy amazing

Four-Sticks
10-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Cirrus Minor
I own Led Zep II, IV and Houses of the Holy, and then early+Latter Days. My favorite is definetly Houses of the Holy, what other cd's are the most similar to that one, perhaps Physical Grafitti?

Physical Graffiti has a HUGE variety in musical styles. It's probably their best work. All of the first album of Graffiti is pretty much Blues-Rock with the exception of Kashmir and Trampled Underfoot. Kashmir is like a rock-orchestra and Tampled Underfoot is techno-ish.
All of the album is very great.
The second disc is very good too. I personally like all of the second album, but most people I know only really like The Wanton Song and Ten Years Gone.
It depends on your taste in music, the First album is pretty much standard Led Zeppelin (not bad at all though), the second album is totally diverse.

ChristianRocker
10-03-2004, 06:34 PM
What is the difference between the classic and the standard???

The classic has the uncovered pickups(498 and 500 I think). And the standard has the burstbuckers. I think the classic might be AA grade while the standard is AAA, but I'm not sure on the grade.

bassdrum
10-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ChristianRocker
The classic has the uncovered pickups(498 and 500 I think). And the standard has the burstbuckers. I think the classic might be AA grade while the standard is AAA, but I'm not sure on the grade.

Okay I understand now. Thanks.

farcry
10-04-2004, 12:42 PM
I promised that I would post up here about the meaning of stairway to heaven. I haven't been unable to find this anywhere on UG so I am going to tell you so people stop saying it's about satanism. If their were in fact lyrics backwards this song is about a church that burned down with the congregation in it that was by Jimmy Pages house at boleskine, the meaning of this was how we are not condemned by fate. At this place people reported seing ghosts and shadows.

The song forwards tells the story of a women who sees signs but she is cautious about their meanings. A bird dies from thoughts that are misgiven. The thoughts carry images of smoke in the trees and the voices of those who stand apparently watching from among the trees. If the reverse lyrics are real this talks of those who died in the church and tries to give them hope.

When sung backwards you can hear Plant quite clearly say near the very end, "Pl-a-a-a-a-a-y backward. Hear words sung." Then if listened to backwards you can hear something like "My sweet satan, he'll give you 666, There was a little tool shed where he made us suffer, sad Satan". Now obviously if this is real both ways forwards and backwards have a meaning. Forwards it tells how the road you choose to walk can always be changed, and that what you think is often not reality. Backwards it talks about pain caused by satan which could mean the devil or be a metaphor for the pain caused by the deaths in boleskine.

Finally, whether these messages were included deliberately or accidentally is to be seen, there is a thing called reverse speech where the brain subliminally puts messages in backwards. Either way stairway talks about even if you are on a slippery path to hell it is never too late to change your ways. Also during one of their live versions you can hear, " Forgive me lord, Forgive me lord, Forgive me lord." Now I haven't heard people asking forgiveness from the devil to often so I'm guessing he's talking to god. I don't see how they could have been satanic when all their songs talk about youth, redemption, love and heaven.

http://www.posternow.com/imagem/l/l19071.jpg , I could never figure out what that guy meant, maybe the reaper or something.

edit:
"When all are one and one is all, To be a rock and not to roll" = faith in god.
"There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold, And she's buying a stairway to heaven" = when you know everything is pure and good you are admitted to heaven.

ChristianRocker
10-04-2004, 05:05 PM
That picture is a reference to lord of the rings. It is Gandalf watching over hobbiton.

farcry
10-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Although I think you are full of it, in one of the songs Plant clearly mentions mordor.

Jimmy_Page_Fan
10-04-2004, 06:22 PM
^ Ramble on. Plant was a big fan of LOTR and used it as a reference quite a bit...

ZepHedJack
10-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy_Page_Fan
^ Ramble on. Plant was a big fan of LOTR and used it as a reference quite a bit...

Many Zep songs have apparent ties with LOTR. Mainly Ramble On and The Battle of Evermore. BoE mentions the ringwraiths, also the "Prince of Peace" and "The Queen of Light" can be seen as characters, though the entire song sounds like it could be about the battle at the two towers; Plant has said that this isnt the case.

Also in Misty Mountain Hop and Over the Hills and Far Away. MMH is about The Hobbit. I think Over the Hills is too, but i'm quite sure Plant has denounced that also

a-brownsound41
10-04-2004, 07:19 PM
the finish on pages sig. is dark honeyburst

page59
10-04-2004, 08:23 PM
battle of evermore also talks about the angels of avalon. for those of you who don't know they are the people who escorted king arthur to avalon in the arthurian legend. i think he was basically trying to combine many stories into one int that song. cool lyrics though.

Four-Sticks
10-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Avalon is also another name for "heaven" if i'm not mistaken. That's what I always related the song to anyway.

TNfootballfan62
10-04-2004, 09:48 PM
farcry, i think those views are some what stretched but so are the ones about page being a satanist, overall, i think people try to take to much from the lyrics, dont dig so deep

also, what do you guys think about the only led zeppelin thread being closed down in favor of another band, although i didnt vote for zeppelin, ive given it thought and i dont really want this thread to close, its been my "home" since i was a n00b, what are your guys opinions on it?

Jimmy_Page_Fan
10-04-2004, 09:55 PM
^ Put up a Floyd thread, I'd post there just as much happily. This forum seems to repeat itself....

farcry
10-04-2004, 11:01 PM
well it's all truly speculation footballfan, hell it could be about buying fruitcakes from a store named heaven, you guess is as good as mine, I just read this crap on the web. And this better not get replaced by floyd.

Thoms
10-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Four-Sticks
Avalon is also another name for "heaven" if i'm not mistaken. That's what I always related the song to anyway.
Avalon is actually a "legendary" island in the British Isles, which is the place where king Arthur is said to be buried...

Grunge_Child
10-05-2004, 05:24 PM
JPJ is the most uderrated musician and member of Led Zeppelin. who agrees with me?

I AGREE!!!!!!!!! if u watch the led zep dvd that has the mountain on the front u can see that in almost every song he doesnt look really excited or anything. i think its because he didnt get enough attention. and have u ever noticed robert plant always grabs a tamburine whenver jimmy is soloing? i find it weird

aside from that:

My fav zep album is definitely untitled (a.k.a. zep 4) cause almost all of the songs i heard of zep first were from that album.
If only bonzo hadnt died :( :( :( :mad:

Four-Sticks
10-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Thoms
Avalon is actually a "legendary" island in the British Isles, which is the place where king Arthur is said to be buried...

Fuck you. :p:

Michael_Frazier
10-05-2004, 08:36 PM
"Fallen Angel" by Thomas Friend is a book devoted to research and analysis on Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page's ties with the occult. I suggest you guys buy it, read it, and quit talking about Zeppelin being Satanic.

Fun little fact about "Battle of Evermore":
If you reverse the line of the song that goes "The pain of war, cannot exceed, the woes of aftermath....", it clearly says "I am the Bible. Please spit on me. So funny!" I did it myself, and I also found a clip of it on a website but I'm having trouble finding it again.

TNfootballfan62
10-07-2004, 10:58 PM
in your opinion, whats the most underrated led zeppelin song

jono034
10-07-2004, 11:07 PM
To be honest. . . I believe it is "Since I've Been Loving You". . .

I think most of Zeppelin's music gets enough credit but if any of them dont, I think this song should get more

bwp
10-07-2004, 11:08 PM
I would say Down By the Seaside or Hots on For Nowhere. I don't think they're that underrated, just not played as much as I would like.

dionysus85
10-07-2004, 11:41 PM
that picture of the guy on the hill watching over the town is from a tarot card no. 10 i think called "the hermit"
check it out if you dont believe me
most tarot card are relitively the same

Michael_Frazier, ive never listened to the battle of evermore bit backwards, gonna go check it out now

EDIT: LOL, thats funny, as clear as day too

dionysus85
10-08-2004, 12:04 AM
ive cut it out
its in mp3 form

cheers michael for the tip

Donatrottola
10-08-2004, 12:57 PM
ya zep rulz and thank you jono034 for starting the second thread. u are my hero. JPJ is the most uderrated musician and member of Led Zeppelin. who agrees with me? yeah, u're right, at all.

phantom lord363
10-08-2004, 03:19 PM
hey that reverse thing is funny! (kinda weird tho..)

bassdrum
10-08-2004, 05:22 PM
that is cool

ebashnitzil
10-08-2004, 08:14 PM
ya zep rulz and thank you jono034 for starting the second thread. u are my hero. JPJ is the most uderrated musician and member of Led Zeppelin. who agrees with me?

defenatly, what a great bassist - personally, i know jp is the best guitars to walk the earth, bonzo is a top 10 drummer, and rob has touched us all deeply

www.led-zeppelin.org has got everything, but skips a few things out (like jimmy pages pickups)

Feder69
10-08-2004, 10:04 PM
yeah, Zep's ****in rad, sucks wut happened to bonham though, i dont think there ever gettin back together with his son, i been hearin lotsa talk, but it would be the same. i was lookin fer sights ta buy a page les paul, and one played and signed by page is like $55,500 dollars, but its all ligit, and theres only like 100 of em, pretty cool though.

Feder69
10-08-2004, 10:07 PM
forgot to add sumthin, i agree, jpj was very underrated and was an amazing bassist, and page was, well, theres not even a word for it. pretty wierd dude though, he bought mr crowleys castle, heh. anywho, rob plant was an awesome song writer, and bonham was a sick drummer. just an all around great band.

tallyKHLUJHRT
10-09-2004, 02:53 PM
i always thought stairway to heaven was drugs but who knows

SoulStripper7
10-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Stairway to Heaven had LOTR references...for example 'There's a feeling I get when I look to the west, and my spirit is crying for leaving'. In Lord of the Rings, when Legolas looks to the west, where the Undying Lands lay, he said that the sea is calling ot him, and that he wants to leave. 'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold' refers to a poem in the books that says, 'All that is gold does not glitter' not all those who wander are lost'.