Albums of an acquired taste?

PDA

View Full Version : Albums of an acquired taste?

stephen_rettie
06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
^ Probably not too clear, what I mean is: What albums have you listened to and not loved but either after subsequent listens or just time have you found yourself listing as one of your favorites?

Or something like that

When I first heard Coheed and Cambria's Year of the Black Rainbow I was pretty disappointed with the general feel, I couldn't hear any awesome riffs to grab on to. But yesterday I gave the whole album another listen and I freaking love it.

Same sort of thing happened with PTH's Fortress.

So what about you guys?

D.R_funk
06-02-2010, 10:27 PM
happend to me and jaco for a long time

dillon1022
06-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Korn take a look in the mirror
metallica st anger
acdc black ice
nickelback all the right reasons

Tsunoyukami
06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
When I was first getting into music I was big into punk and pop-punk bands such as The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Green Day and blink-182. My friend recommended to me London Calling by The Clash, and so I picked it up. When I listened to it I was thoroughly disappointed. I said to myself, "This isn't punk!"

And so, it sat on my shelf collecting dust for a few months as I moved into Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and The Beatles and upon listening to it again I found I liked several of the tracks on the album.

Now, several years later, and after having explored a wide variety of artists I find that London Calling is a terrific album. It is simply awesome.

Furthermore, I find that several albums by jazz artists fall into this same category. They require several listens before you can begin to really listen and hear the songs properly.

nashawa
06-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Jane Doe by Converge
The Inalienable Dreamless by Discordance Axis

I'm sure there's a few more.

neidnarb11890
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
When I was first getting into music I was big into punk and pop-punk bands such as The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Green Day and blink-182. My friend recommended to me London Calling by The Clash, and so I picked it up. When I listened to it I was thoroughly disappointed. I said to myself, "This isn't punk!"
I felt the same way when I first heard London Calling. But then I heard The Clash and The Clash became my new favorite band.

Also, the first time I heard Marquee Moon by Television I was kinda like "eh, whatever," but with each subsequent listen it kept sounding better and better until I realized that the meaning of life is hidden somewhere in the title track's guitar solo.

waxed_mustache
06-07-2010, 01:18 PM
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2531/gangoffourentertainment.png
Really good, didn't enjoy most of the songs at first because I enjoy a lot of textures etc. but it's definitely awesome.

romencer17
06-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste lolololo

slorggetti
06-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Everything by The Residents
Captain Beefheart
Swarrrm

EvilAngel93
06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Dirt by Alice in Chains. They're one of my all-time favorite bands, but when I first heard their music, I admittedly didn't think too much of it. Part of it was because I had always listened to overproduced modern alternative music, so naturally I was a bit confused by the sound of this band that every guitarist seemed to rave about. Sludgy guitar, trippy vocal harmonies, brutally dark lyrics....it was completely different from anything I'd ever heard. Took me a week in Colorado to really get comfortable with Alice in Chains; the effect of listening to really echoey songs like Would? or Angry Chair while surrounded by those majestic peaks was simply mind-blowing, there was some definitive quality unmatched by alot of other modern bands. Needless to say, Dirt brought me a musical epiphany, and thus I stopped listening to nearly all of my former junior-high music in favor of much better bands

neidnarb11890
06-07-2010, 03:04 PM
*Entertainment!*
Really good, didn't enjoy most of the songs at first because I enjoy a lot of textures etc. but it's definitely awesome.
One of my favorites! Gang of Four changed how I approached guitar playing.

dillon1022
06-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Dirt by Alice in Chains. They're one of my all-time favorite bands, but when I first heard their music, I admittedly didn't think too much of it. Part of it was because I had always listened to overproduced modern alternative music, so naturally I was a bit confused by the sound of this band that every guitarist seemed to rave about. Sludgy guitar, trippy vocal harmonies, brutally dark lyrics....it was completely different from anything I'd ever heard. Took me a week in Colorado to really get comfortable with Alice in Chains; the effect of listening to really echoey songs like Would? or Angry Chair while surrounded by those majestic peaks was simply mind-blowing, there was some definitive quality unmatched by alot of other modern bands. Needless to say, Dirt brought me a musical epiphany, and thus I stopped listening to nearly all of my former junior-high music in favor of much better bands
forgot about that one, totally agree. when i first heard dirt, i was like with the exception of them bones, this is crap. Then i gave it a second listen, and fell in love with it.

hockeyplayer168
06-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Primus - Fizzle Fry

slipknot5678
06-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Metallica's St. Anger. Hated it, it's still not my favorite, but I like it.

Drummerrrrr?
06-09-2010, 07:44 AM
When I first heard Muse they were a bit too whack for me but now they're pretty much my favourite band and the songs I used to hate I now love. Also Underoath, I couldn't stand they're music and screamo in general. Define the Great Line would now be in my top 10 favourite albums.

lupinitic
06-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Have a Nice Day - Bon Jovi
Stadium Arcadium - RHCP

liam3000
06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll304/0shorl/53686998_b8222ba376.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll304/0shorl/20081023194106_song_album.jpg

Finalconflict
06-20-2010, 10:41 PM
The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me by Brand New

First listen I found it disappointing but after going back I realized it's an exceptional album both musically and lyrically.

And so, it sat on my shelf collecting dust for a few months as I moved into Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and The Beatles and upon listening to it again I found I liked several of the tracks on the album.

Now, several years later, and after having explored a wide variety of artists I find that London Calling is a terrific album. It is simply awesome.

Furthermore, I find that several albums by jazz artists fall into this same category. They require several listens before you can begin to really listen and hear the songs properly.

Felt the same exact way except I loved London Calling(song) after the first listen.

Gris-Gris-Man
06-23-2010, 01:23 AM
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll304/0shorl/53686998_b8222ba376.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll304/0shorl/20081023194106_song_album.jpg
came here to post this.

but in all reality, this happens to me a lot. ill put the album on the first time and not really have an instant liking to it. then later ill try it again and totally dig it.

example: John Barleycorn Must Die - Traffic (not the Traffic i expected, but came around to love it)

xaviergray
06-23-2010, 12:15 PM
The big one I can recall at the moment is Drukqs by Aphex Twin. At first I didn't like it at all, now it's one of my favourite albums.

CiReMaN
06-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Korn - Issues