How to use Tascam DP-02 portastudio to record...?

PDA

View Full Version : How to use Tascam DP-02 portastudio to record...?

JDizzle787
06-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi there... so, my drummer acquired a Tascam DP-02 Digital Portastudio, and we're trying to figure out exactly what we'd need to record with. I know there are inputs for guitar and bass, but what about mics for amps and the drums? there's only one input for a mic, and it says for the line in to use a "___ track recorder and an amplifier" in the diagram. I don't quite know where to look for a straight recorder, and what kind of amplifier would we use to do this? Any info would be appreciated. We're trying to use this to record a demo or something...

jman007_93
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Well I have that and there is two mic inputs not just one like you said. I use a KSM27 overhead and a SM57 for the kick for drums. You can get a pretty good sound with just that. Then just mic up the amps.

JDizzle787
06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Well I have that and there is two mic inputs not just one like you said. I use a KSM27 overhead and a SM57 for the kick for drums. You can get a pretty good sound with just that. Then just mic up the amps.

ok, so instead of running the guitars straight into their respective inputs, I could just run the mic for the amps into them? or say, just record the tracks separately using the regular mic input that would normally be for the vocal mic?

http://www.uniquesquared.com/eBayImgs/tascam_dp02_diagram.jpg

Basically, would we run the mic'd amps through 1. the ones that the mic and the keyboard are going through in the pic or 2., the ones the guitar and bass are going through? (I think it'd be the first, but I just want to be sure...)

jman007_93
06-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Both inputs might work for the mic. But the XLR inputs (the ones the mic goes to in the picture) are what is meant to be used. You just gotta have an XLR cable going from the mic to the input. You are meant to record each track separately while monitoring the mix with headphones. Just bear in mind that you can only use two mics at the same time, each going to a different channel. The odds are you will never use the direct input for guitar or bass. And personally when I tried it once it sounded horrible. Stick to micing up everything.

RisingForce1990
06-09-2010, 07:55 PM
You don't have to mic it up, you just need a decent sounding amp to make it sound nice. I've got the DP-02 CF, and all of my recordings I used the input.

jman007_93
06-09-2010, 09:44 PM
How would you use an amp if not micing it?

RisingForce1990
06-10-2010, 01:21 AM
You use the Rec. Out/ Headphone out on the amp, and run that into the line in.
You just need some monitors so you can actually hear what you're playing.

jman007_93
06-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Does that sound better or worse than micing?

RisingForce1990
06-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Depends on how good you are at micing, and how good your mic is. Personally I prefer the line in, then you don't have to sit there an mess with mics. Just plug and play.

JDizzle787
06-14-2010, 02:29 AM
But what if the amp I wish to use (my V33H) doesn't have a line out?

shinhoman
06-14-2010, 07:51 PM
But what if the amp I wish to use (my V33H) doesn't have a line out?

then you will have to mic up you amp.

x