That pick noise

PDA

View Full Version : That pick noise

minieme007
06-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Hey UG, I was just wondering, when I pick I hear a little click every time I hit a string, and you don't seem to hear it live on on records and stuff. Is it just because they have the amp up loud or what? thanks

tenfold
06-09-2010, 03:52 AM
Turn your highs down.

TheAbsentOne
06-09-2010, 04:33 AM
You have too much treble in your EQ.

WaltTheWerewolf
06-09-2010, 06:27 AM
are you also using thin picks? thin picks can also give off a tic-tic type sound.

minieme007
06-09-2010, 06:39 AM
You have too much treble in your EQ.
I have no idea how to fix this because my amp, which is a Randall, has not treble or bass settings, just "prescence" and "shape". Any ideas? Also, I am using thick picks

SeeEmilyPlay
06-09-2010, 06:39 AM
are you also using thin picks? thin picks can also give off a tic-tic type sound.

I use thins and I do get that sound sometimes. Even turning the treble down doesn't alwasy get rid of it depending on what effects I'm using...it's so annoying.

tenfold
06-09-2010, 06:43 AM
I have no idea how to fix this because my amp, which is a Randall, has not treble or bass settings, just "prescence" and "shape". Any ideas? Also, I am using thick picks
What model is your amp? I want to look up a picture to better assist you.

jking948
06-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Also, if your pick is edged to the side when you pick it can create that effect while picking fast. But as people have said lower the highs, and maybe get different picks.

whitenihilist
06-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I kind of like that sounds sometimes. :S

But it comes down to the amount of treble and the angle of your picking. Maybe try hitting the strings a little softer too.

randomucker
06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
i love the sound of the pick attack. on machine heads latest album the blackening it stands out big time and just sounds awesome. it gives it a, uhh, i don't quite know how to explain it, but i suppose a feeling of realness, straight up raw guitar tone that isn't overproduced.

DaMarsbarPerson
06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I love that sound and paul gilbert learned to alternate pick differently because he liked that sound and wanted to incorporate it...

minieme007
06-10-2010, 07:26 AM
What model is your amp? I want to look up a picture to better assist you.
http://redhotmusic.com.au/library/assets/600px-RG-40RXMcopy.jpg
Randall RG-40

tenfold
06-10-2010, 10:28 AM
http://redhotmusic.com.au/library/assets/600px-RG-40RXMcopy.jpg
Randall RG-40
Sometimes they use different names for the knobs. Can you list all of yours, as I can't see from the picture?

And just guessing here, but you may be on the high gain channel. Try turning the presence down a bit and see if you still get that. Play around with the gain, presence, and shape. Do tremelo picking on the high E string (palm muted, to accentuate the noise) while turning the 3 knobs and see if you can't find something to help it.

minieme007
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Sometimes they use different names for the knobs. Can you list all of yours, as I can't see from the picture?

And just guessing here, but you may be on the high gain channel. Try turning the presence down a bit and see if you still get that. Play around with the gain, presence, and shape. Do tremelo picking on the high E string (palm muted, to accentuate the noise) while turning the 3 knobs and see if you can't find something to help it.
okay thanks I'll try that
But from left to right the knobs read: Gain, Presence, Shape, Level (on the distortion channel). The clean channel has the normal controls.

zincabopataurio
06-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Try experimenting with different picks, some picks give off a lot less pick noise then others.

tenfold
06-10-2010, 11:17 PM
okay thanks I'll try that
But from left to right the knobs read: Gain, Presence, Shape, Level (on the distortion channel). The clean channel has the normal controls.
Shape = Mid range.
Presence = Extra-high range.

So turn down some presence, and roll back your shape to at least less than 50%, and play with that.

Piano-Forte
06-11-2010, 03:04 PM
there is another way around the "click"/chirp/scratch from picking and to the betterment of your overall technique

i found that if you use finger independence just right you can eliminate that sound (except in tremolo, unless you wanna be pulsating your fretting finger like you're pleasuring the guitar)

so if you want to improve your technique in the long run, being able to play without the click with high treble makes your playing sound very legato-like and clear.

i spent 5 hours a day for an entire week at 60 bpm working on this; it's become second nature and has done a lot of good.

iampeter
06-11-2010, 03:37 PM
there is another way around the "click"/chirp/scratch from picking and to the betterment of your overall technique

i found that if you use finger independence just right you can eliminate that sound (except in tremolo, unless you wanna be pulsating your fretting finger like you're pleasuring the guitar)

so if you want to improve your technique in the long run, being able to play without the click with high treble makes your playing sound very legato-like and clear.

i spent 5 hours a day for an entire week at 60 bpm working on this; it's become second nature and has done a lot of good.

could you detail what you mean?
are you talking about using your thumb and pointer on your picking moving independently of your strumming?

Piano-Forte
06-11-2010, 09:09 PM
could you detail what you mean?
are you talking about using your thumb and pointer on your picking moving independently of your strumming?

it has almost nothing to do with your picking hand

see, the chirp/sqeek comes from a teeny-tiny harmonic caused by the pick's initial contact with the string

if you notice, you will not hear the click if the string is silent and you first strike it

however, if you use correct finger independence (keeping fretting fingers resting on strings[not pressing] and only push down one fret at a time[not the ones previous*] you'll get a better sound[no squeek/click/chirp] and much more economical fretting)

*place your index finger on 5, middle on 6, ring on 7 and pinky on 8. now, keep them on and touching the strings, but not pressed down so that they would make a note if your picked; just resting. now with all your fingers resting upon the string, press down on 8 and pick. now, release your pinky by a milimeter(as close as you can without touching the string) and simultaneously press on 7, and so on. (the main thing is to keep 1 finger fretting at a time)

practice that in a way to transition the notes so smoothly and naturally that you will mute the string in between notes(the intricacies at this level are too subtle to explain, you have to experience them, i recommend setting the treble high to hear the click[mistakes] clearer, and i HIGHLY recommend using headphones to isolate the sound)

lol i used to have a big problem with this(since i typically play with headphones, the squeek is very prevalent), if you check threads made by me, it's a shitton of "how do i get rid of this squeek", i've asked a bunch of experienced guitarists, altered my action and changed my strings, but this is what set it straight (with many external benefits to my overall playing)