Seymour Duncan 59 Vs. Gibson 57 Classic

PDA

View Full Version : Seymour Duncan 59 Vs. Gibson 57 Classic

unk0wn
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
What are the differences between these two pickups? This is for the neck position. I'm trying to decide on which to put in my les paul. I listen to stuff like Phish, Allmans, Grateful dead, Trucks, Zeppelin, Yes, Clapton, Jeff beck.

EyeHatePunks
06-09-2010, 06:27 PM
IMHO the 59s sound pretty dead and nothing like a vintage paf to me...
You might also want oto consider a DiMarzio Paf Pro

Archer18
06-09-2010, 06:31 PM
I've heard GIbson pickups aren't that great either. Check out some of the more boutique manufacturers E.g. RockMonkey, Bareknuckle, Wolfetone, Shed Pickups.

BTW Shed pickups does a Zeppeling set - http://www.shedpickups.com/viewpickup.asp?puid=76

i_am_metalhead
06-09-2010, 06:35 PM
For aftermarket pickups you can't go wrong with SD, imo, due to their availability, low cost, and general overall good tone. Don't really know much about DiMarzio so I can't say anything positive or negative about them but there are a lot of people that like them.

As far as Gibson pickups, they are pretty mediocre for the price. Normally for the same price that you'd pay for a Gibson pickup you can get a hand-wired pickup from a company like Bare Knuckles or Rock Monkey, which sound much better than Gibsons, imo.

Dave_Mc
06-09-2010, 06:42 PM
i think (iirc) the gibson one might have a slightly softer edge to the tone. The '59 has a hardish edge to the tone which can be good or bad depending on what you're after.

al112987
06-16-2010, 12:46 AM
IMHO the 59s sound pretty dead and nothing like a vintage paf to me...
You might also want oto consider a DiMarzio Paf Proironic because the paf pro sounds nothing like a paf to me. the '59s are wound on the old gibson winders, use the right plain enamel wire and short a5 magnets consistent with late PAFs, so they do hit the range pretty well if you ask me. They sound better unpotted, Seymour Duncan sells a "custom" unpotted set through specialty guitars for a little extra. They sound much better than the potted versions. They work great for the Jimmy Page kind of tone.

'57 classics are a little bit softer on top and are more compressed. Its a matter of what you want. I like the Duncan '59s. They do the Page thing pretty well. A set that is a little more expensive than the '57 classic set though are Wolfetone Marshallhead Mk IIs. I'd look into those as well if you are looking at Shed Zeppelins. Or normal Marshallheads for that matter. It depends if you want something overwound (hotter, more mids) or something tamer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAJqdZcz5k

starting at 0:56 Marshallheads. They do a great early Page sound.

Dave_Mc
06-16-2010, 07:26 AM
yeah, i mean i've never tried a vintage paf, but the '59 sounds more vintage to me than a paf pro, that's for sure.

sounds like you agree with me on the 57s versus the 59, too (it's so long since I've tried a 57 I forget what it was really like, i just remember it was pretty vintage and soft)

:cheers:

holycow
06-16-2010, 07:40 AM
the 57' has Alnico 2 magnets and the 59' has Alnico 5 magnets. the 57' will sound softer and the 59' will sound punchier. u choose