How would I learn to play guitar like seasick steve

PDA

View Full Version : How would I learn to play guitar like seasick steve

awesomo41894
06-13-2010, 01:20 PM
OK, so I just discovered seasick steves playing a few days ago. I think its AMAZING. I wanna learn how to play like that. My usual music style is death metal or neoclassical metal, so Im sure I have the chops to learn how.
I know he uses a slide, and some weird tuning.
If u have not heard of his playing here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNoPNC3ebYQ

Now, Im looking for advice on how to play like that. Scales, tunings, maybe a website with lessons. Any help would be appreciated.

kangaxxter
06-13-2010, 01:29 PM
It's called Delta Blues. What he plays in that video is called a Blues Shuffle.

I'm actually 99% sure that this website (UG) has some very good blues lessons on it somewhere.

ChucklesMginty
06-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Learn by ear. That's what he would have done.

You don't learn scales and theory when you're a hobo.

awesomo41894
06-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Learn by ear. That's what he would have done.

You don't learn scales and theory when you're a hobo.
LMAO Thats so true. I already did learn some of his songs by ear, I was just wondering what kind of stuff makes those sounds. Cuz I cant seem to come up with anything original in that style.

ChucklesMginty
06-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Ah fair enough. Just experiment with different sounds and playing techniques. It'll take some trial and error but you'll get there in the end.

awesomo41894
06-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Ah fair enough. Just experiment with different sounds and playing techniques. It'll take some trial and error but you'll get there in the end.
Yeah, thanks for the advice man :)

Zaphod_Beeblebr
06-13-2010, 06:27 PM
My usual music style is death metal or neoclassical metal, so Im sure I have the chops to learn how.

... :haha

:no:

You may have the finger strength and dexterity but you certainly don't know how play slide and to assume that something is made of pure finger movement is very foolish.

Learn some of his stuff, think about what he's playing and then try to come up with something new.

Edit: Also just occurred to me that you almost certainly don't know much about playing fingerstyle which also makes up a huge part of Steve's sound. That'll take a fair bit of time to learn.

Funk Monk
06-13-2010, 07:12 PM
LMAO Thats so true. I already did learn some of his songs by ear, I was just wondering what kind of stuff makes those sounds. Cuz I cant seem to come up with anything original in that style.

Look up some blues (intro blues) lessons and you'll be playing that in no time.

Also you might want to invest in a slide haha.