Classic Prog Songs

PDA

View Full Version : Classic Prog Songs

IROn 5L1nKY
06-13-2010, 11:00 PM
So I have a friend who's really into bands like Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, Traffic, King Crimson, Pink FLoyd, Camel, and of course things like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and Iron Maiden.

I'm not all that familiar with the more guitar centric parts that most guitarists of that following learn, so I was wondering if anyone here had some suggestions? Especially Crimson and Tull and FLoyd. It would be cool to take some influence from that stuff, as well as play it to my friend.

TheLlamaMan
06-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Did you mean you're looking for songs to learn that feature guitar as a dominant part?

If so, I recommend for King Crimson mostly 21st Century Schizoid Man (it seems to be their signature song, and excluding the evil runs from hell it's not too hard), and also maybe Lark's Tongue's in Aspic Pt. 2 or Red, depending on your/their taste. Those are all heavier songs, if you're looking for something more acoustic oriented try Epitaph or Cirkus.

For Pink Floyd some of the classics are Comfortably Numb, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (1-5), and Time. And of course, Wish You Were Here.

Jethro Tull.. If you have some time on your hands I would suggest learning Thick as a Brick, just because it's amazing. Aqualung is really the way to go.. and some others I forget.

Hopefully that will give you a good start for the bands you wanted songs for. By the way, your friend has some amazing taste in music :p:

romencer17
06-14-2010, 05:48 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/gentle_giant/in_a_glass_house_guitar_pro.htm

Tarsplitter
06-14-2010, 05:50 PM
I gotta suggest that you learn "Ice" by Camel. There is a very nice GP tab for it on this site.

Good luck!

hamett91
06-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Close to the Edge- Yes

TheLlamaMan
06-14-2010, 07:21 PM
I gotta suggest that you learn "Ice" by Camel. There is a very nice GP tab for it on this site.

Good luck!

This... AMAZING song. :D

VHfan98
06-14-2010, 11:44 PM
rush is the best prog band ever

IROn 5L1nKY
06-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Did you mean you're looking for songs to learn that feature guitar as a dominant part?

If so, I recommend for King Crimson mostly 21st Century Schizoid Man (it seems to be their signature song, and excluding the evil runs from hell it's not too hard), and also maybe Lark's Tongue's in Aspic Pt. 2 or Red, depending on your/their taste. Those are all heavier songs, if you're looking for something more acoustic oriented try Epitaph or Cirkus.

For Pink Floyd some of the classics are Comfortably Numb, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (1-5), and Time. And of course, Wish You Were Here.

Jethro Tull.. If you have some time on your hands I would suggest learning Thick as a Brick, just because it's amazing. Aqualung is really the way to go.. and some others I forget.

Hopefully that will give you a good start for the bands you wanted songs for. By the way, your friend has some amazing taste in music :p:

Yes, thank you guys, this and all your other answers were pretty much what I was looking for. He's shown me a little bit of each of those bands (excluding what I already knew) and his passion for the prog music of that area really just kind of inspires me to learn and be influenced by it, and so I came here for suggestions. Thanks guys.