Baritone guitar

PDA

View Full Version : Baritone guitar

365_days_gone
06-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Im reading up on these and everyone keeps on saying they are a mix between a bass guitar and a standard guitar. I understand they are because of the low top string, but what I dont get is why some people are saying they are using it to replace the bassist. They use this because they dont have a bassist and because of the low tuning, it can act as a bass guitar.

But is it not pretty much the same thing as tuning to drop B or A? If I tuned to Drop B, would it not be pretty much the same exact thing? I understand tuning to B, means all the strings go down, and a Baritone uses standard tuning - almost, - but with a low top string and no bottom e string. But I mean...isnt it basically the same thing?

Anyways, I am considering getting one...any suggestions? Price range is about $450-$500. No more. Does Ibanez make any besides the MMM1 thing that the guitarist from Staind uses? Where can I see there selection?

Any other brands? Best ones in the price range? Thanks. :)

bizcuits212
06-25-2010, 02:01 AM
Im reading up on these and everyone keeps on saying they are a mix between a bass guitar and a standard guitar. I understand they are because of the low top string, but what I dont get is why some people are saying they are using it to replace the bassist. They use this because they dont have a bassist and because of the low tuning, it can act as a bass guitar.

But is it not pretty much the same thing as tuning to drop B or A? If I tuned to Drop B, would it not be pretty much the same exact thing? I understand tuning to B, means all the strings go down, and a Baritone uses standard tuning - almost, - but with a low top string and no bottom e string. But I mean...isnt it basically the same thing?

Anyways, I am considering getting one...any suggestions? Price range is about $450-$500. No more. Does Ibanez make any besides the MMM1 thing that the guitarist from Staind uses? Where can I see there selection?

Any other brands? Best ones in the price range? Thanks. :)

A baritone is a guitar with a longer scale length, almost always six strings, and usually tuned to b, or standard tuning for a seven string. Also, from the videos I've seen, the Mike Mushok looks good.

danimalhxc
06-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Ok I've done a shit ton of research on baritones in the past months cuz i made a custom one. Here's the schpeel:

Baritones are guitars with longer necks. They're longer so that you can Tune lower. The TRUE Baritone tuning is B-E-A-D-F sharp-B (low to high). Its basically standard tuning but 5 steps down. So if you know anything bout tunings you'll see that that's lower Than either Drop B or A (not on the top string but on the rest) so you have to tune UP. You can still do that on a baritone as long as you get lighter gauge strings. Regular baritone strings are 13's. I use 11's on mine but thinking bout getting 12's to get a tighter feel.

As for baritones, there aren't very many out there. You have to do your own research on that. Mine is 28 5/8" scale. Most ones out there are 26.5" scale which is still enough for it to be a baritone but honestly, in my opinion, a true baritone is AT LEAST a 27".

So I hope that helps. If you have anymore questions just ask. This isn't to diss anyone but I feel like I know ALOT about the baritone from all the research I've done so asking me ain't such a bad idea. Here are some links also!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritone_guitar
http://thebaritoneguitar.com/
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/seven-baritone-electrics/mar-08/34253

bingeandletgo
06-25-2010, 02:17 AM
I don't get why people say it's replacing the bassist. In fact, I've never heard that :P:

As for baritone vs drop B, as you may know, it has an extended scale length. This increases tension so you can drop lower in your tunings. Of course you can tune down to B with a regular guitar, but it will feel like noodles, even with heavy gauge strings. Personally, I can't stand anything below C standard/drop B with 13s. You may be different, but either way you will be better off with a baritone as to not compromise comfortable string gauge for tension. Also, for normal applications (like without oceans and oceans of death metal gain), those "noodles" will sound like total crap. The main concern with the sound is that a higher tension yields a "tighter" attack. I almost never play metal, but I'm pretty sure most metal guitarists would like a quicker and tighter sound, right? One more thing is that B standard is to a baritone as E standard is to a normal guitar usually (depending on the baritones scale length of course). You can drop it further down from B standard while having it sound and feel normal.

And I would check out the PRS SE Mike Mushock Baritone. A little out of your price range, but its a great guitar.

EDIT: And note that there are different baritones out there. Basically anything over a 25.5 scale is considered a baritone, but they can get much higher than that.

EDIT 2: ^This guy knows a lot.

nickcallear
06-25-2010, 02:21 AM

The ibanez RGD320 Is a Baritone guitar and its a relative cheap guitar to buy and they do 7 - 8 string versions as well but there a bit out of your price range.

danimalhxc
06-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Lol this guy (bingeandletgo) is a beast too ^

AcousticMirror
06-25-2010, 02:23 AM
A baritone is a guitar with a much longer scale length usually 27 or above although not many are longer then 30.

You wouldn't tune a baritone to drop b or drop A. You would tune it to B standard or A standard and then drop from there if necessary so you'd actually be in drop F or drop low E.

A bass is tuned low E and up. It's exactly one octave lower then the guitars low E string.

There are two schools of thought on Baritone tuning and strings.

1. Using a regular set of guitar strings and tuning up to E Standard. This allows you to get more tension from a lighter set of strings. A set of 9s on a baritone scale guitar provides around 123 pounds of tension across the entire neck. The same set on a Gibson scale guitar provides only 91 pounds of tension across the neck.

2. Originally baritones were used with heavier strings in lower tuning so that heavier strings could be used in higher then bass tunings. A set of standard 12s on a Gibson scale guitar tuned in E provides 154 pounds of tension across the guitar neck. A set of 12s on a baritone scale guitar in A would provide 91 pounds of tension thus making it play more like a gibson scale guitar with 9s.

I run 14-70s in B on my baritone with a 28.625 scale length. It's about 160 pounds of tension across the neck.

danimalhxc
06-25-2010, 02:26 AM
@acousticmirror Well you can still tune to Drop B and A. And like Binge said it really helps since on standard guitars the strings and tone just suck! I'm in drop B on mine and it's amazing!

bingeandletgo
06-25-2010, 02:26 AM
Lol this guy (bingeandletgo) is a beast too ^

:five:

The baritone brothers :D

AcousticMirror, did you happen to use this calculator?

http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

danimalhxc
06-25-2010, 02:30 AM
Haha woot woot!

AcousticMirror
06-25-2010, 02:31 AM
No I've never been able to use that one since it doesn't go past 56

I use this one

http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

It's based on the d'addario string information. I use Dr strings but my tech and I have looked it over and it's fairly close. Doublechecked by actually stringing up some guitars and feeling it out of course.

365_days_gone
06-25-2010, 01:41 PM
wow. OK, I was confused about the tuning. I thought it was

B (an extra string added)
E (then I thought this E string was the top string on a standard guitar.
A (same thing)(

I basically thought, all the strings were like...shifted down and an extra low string was added and the bottom e string was removed...you know what I mean? Cause really, it kind of looks like that. But now I get it. Its basically tuned to Standard A...right?? Drop A, except the top strings is tuned up a bit to make the power chords the standard power chords rather than the barring ones. hmm...

AcousticMirror
06-25-2010, 01:53 PM
no the bottom strings are tuned down...

B standard is 5 steps down from E standard on every string.

365_days_gone
06-25-2010, 01:59 PM
ok, I got it now. So what are some that are in my price change??

bucketned
06-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I just bought a Danelectro dead on '67 off ebay for only 250. What kind of music were you looking to play?

AcousticMirror
06-25-2010, 02:03 PM
prs se mike mushok.

or

agile

365_days_gone
06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
isnt the PRS like over $1000???

bingeandletgo
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.themadape.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PRS-MUSHOK-SE&click=1540

$599 here. Usually around $600-650 USD

AcousticMirror
06-25-2010, 03:57 PM
no the se. you can find that one for like 699. Less if you find one used.

but check out agile from rondomusic they make a whole bunch of different scale size guitars.

or you can get a warmoth conversion neck neck for any fender guitar.

bucketned
06-25-2010, 05:24 PM
in your price range
http://cgi.ebay.com/Danelectro-67-Baritone-Hornet-Electric-Guitar-NEW-/260625645922?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item3cae7fc162

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eastwood-SideJack-Baritone-Guitar-Reversed-Stratocaste-/380233330439?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item5887ac2f07

http://cgi.ebay.com/Teisco-VN-4-Baritone-Guitar-Japan-Silvertone-PUPs-HSC-/110548789742?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item19bd38a9ee

Chaz-6(sic)6
06-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Man, I'm officially the first Baritone Brothers fan. (read the other posts and you'll know what I'm talking about if you skipped to this page :eek: ).

START MAKIN' MUSIC!!!!!

Rt1Rebel
06-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I bought an immaculate "used" Schecter Blackjack EX a few months ago for $399, they've discontinued the model from what I hear, but you could probably still find one new or used at a good price. It's a modest 26.5" with SD JB and '59 pups. I've got mine tuned standard for now because I'm just learning, but it's nice to know I can expand my tuning at a whim. Look for an earlier model without the neck inlay and the 5 way switch.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C1-EX-Baritone-Blackjack-Guitar?sku=513083

jpnyc
06-25-2010, 08:39 PM
no the bottom strings are tuned down...

B standard is 5 steps down from E standard on every string.

B is 2.5 steps down from E, not 5.

bingeandletgo
06-25-2010, 08:40 PM
^He must've meant 5 half steps/frets :p:

jpnyc
06-25-2010, 08:44 PM

Being a baritone is technically defined by tuning; just about anything below C is really a baritone. The terminology gets confusing because within this definition there are really four kinds of baritone guitar; thatís why manufacturers are starting to just refer to guitars as having an extended scale. But then everything gets labeled as a baritone to make them easy to find online. Itís annoying as hell.