Best high output single coil pickups?

PDA

View Full Version : Best high output single coil pickups?

Grapejuiceksjdf
06-27-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm looking for true single coil pickups with high output that retain clarity with higher gain settings. I am aware that humbuckers suit heavier styles of music better but I adore that glassy single coil tone so please don't suggest to me that I just go with a hot rail or whatnot.

I've been looking at the seymour duncan ssl-4's, anyone ever use these?

Scotsman24`
06-27-2010, 10:48 AM
I recommend any of the DiMarzio SC's. They all sound wonderful and have pretty high output.

grizzli1994
06-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Try looking at Emg single coils.

AcousticMirror
06-27-2010, 01:49 PM
bare knuckle pickup the sinner
win thread.

ravenrage07
06-27-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm looking for true single coil pickups with high output that retain clarity with higher gain settings. I am aware that humbuckers suit heavier styles of music better but I adore that glassy single coil tone so please don't suggest to me that I just go with a hot rail or whatnot.

I've been looking at the seymour duncan ssl-4's, anyone ever use these?

You could always do what Yngwie does. Get quiet single coils that are hum cancelling but still have the magnetic sound of single coils. Then throw an OD infront of the amp to beef em up. An OD can do wonders for quiet lower ouput pickups.

As for a high output pickup thats single coil... the only one I honestly know of is the stuff on GFS. I dont know much about duncan single coils.

forsaknazrael
06-27-2010, 05:00 PM
^still doesn't do a true single coil tone, IMO.

acdcrocks0323
06-27-2010, 05:16 PM
A higher output single coil wouldn't sound like a normal single coil, tbh. The higher output will take away the high end sparkle and bell like tones.

TheQuailman
06-27-2010, 05:23 PM
I tried the Quarter Pounder (SSL4) once, was nice. Häussel Big Mag is somewhat similar, but only an option if you're located in Europe.

When comparing these pups with normal single coils, you'll notice they have loads of mids and practically no treble, also poor harmonics. They're nice for distortion, but kinda dull for cleans compared with a traditional sc. I wouldn't call them "glassy".

If you want a true sc tone and more output to drive your amp harder, look into a booster. :shrug:

forsaknazrael
06-27-2010, 05:39 PM
A higher output single coil wouldn't sound like a normal single coil, tbh. The higher output will take away the high end sparkle and bell like tones.
+1
A very good point. Higher output pickups are generally darker.