The Beach Boys

PDA

View Full Version : The Beach Boys

Draken
07-08-2010, 11:01 AM
I had a look around but couldn't spot a thread on them, so i've been listening to the beach boys for a while. Nice close harmony singing and some fairly nice music imo.

rocketfalls
07-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Just "fairly nice"? Are we listening to the same band?!

maxteesdale
07-08-2010, 12:35 PM
I love the Beach Boys. My favorite song is surfin USA. I went to a concert a few years back and they were so awsome.

Aeolian Harmony
07-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever. Top 10 easily... but their other stuff is kinda meh.

master
07-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah Pet Sounds is amazing. I love the Beach boys, but imo they would be infinitely times better if they're drummer was higher up in the mix. They're such a groovy band and loud drums would really accentuate that.

Ghefly
07-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I think if the drums were louder they would drown out the amazing vocal harmonies and melodies which really give the beach boys character.

bassguy93
07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
The Beach Boys are truly a great band. I'm 17 years old, and as a toddler, I grew up listening to them with my dad.

vagelier
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Beach Boys are awesome. I bought the Pet Sounds album, any advice on a follow-up to buy?

JammerZice
04-04-2011, 11:31 PM
I think their alright! Great band with some talent. Good Vibrations is my favorite though.

uhh_me?
09-23-2011, 08:20 PM
i've been trying to improve the albums after Smile fell apart because a handful of them wind up being messes with a great song next to a terrible one and then another great song that was entirely left off of the album. i still love 'em, but i know that there are better albums hidden in there.

here's what i've got for 20/20, maybe someone can assemble it on their own and let me know how they feel about it? all of the songs on that i added on here were written and recorded at pretty much the right time. i think that only "I Just Got My Pay" is a little off.

Side A
1. Our Prayer
2. Never Learn Not To Love
3. Be With Me
4. I Went To Sleep
5. Time To Get Alone
6. We're Together Again

Side B
7. I Just Got My Pay
8. San Miguel
9. I Can Hear Music
10. A Time To Live In Dreams
11. Cabinessence
12. Walk On By

i love "Do It Again" for those drums in the start, but i couldn't fit it in the album without starting with it, but i really just prefer starting with "Our Prayer".

Beach Boys are awesome. I bought the Pet Sounds album, any advice on a follow-up to buy?
still want advice on this?

Today! is really great, mostly for the B side (except "Bull Sessions..."), and Surf's Up becomes just as good as Pet Sounds and Smile with a few minor tweaks (dropping "Student Demonstration Time" and adding "4th of July").

really, pretty much everything up to Love You is worth hearing, well maybe not 15 Big Ones. things get pretty terrible after that with the exception of a few songs.

oh god, i'm horrifyingly obsessed because this is what i do with my friday night.

sublimeisgood
09-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Beach Boys are awesome. Not into the surf rock era, but Smile - Pet Sounds is amazing. Albums with Carl lead such as Friends and 20-20 are also good but albums after Surf's Up sucked. Anyone getting Smile Sessions?

uhh_me?
09-24-2011, 12:25 PM
deciding which version i want to pre-order. i'd really like the one with the 7"s, but it is so expensive. i mean, i'd really like the one with the surf board, but y'know.

also, you are pretty wrong that everything after Surf's Up sucks. sure it might be little weaker than their best albums, but Carl and the Passions, Holland, and Love You all have some great tracks. if someone were to stop where you want 'em to, they'd miss out on "Big Sur" (though the original version is better than the California Saga version) and a whole bunch of great Dennis songs (seriously, if you don't like "Cuddle Up"...).

sublimeisgood
09-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Oh crap I screwed up on the Surf's Up thing. For some reason I thought Surf's Up was after Love You or something. I guess I meant to say MIU or Light Album.

About Smile Sessions... I'm sure the price will go down eventually. It was 170 but then it got bumped down to 140. Barnes and Noble has it for 128.

guitarguitar7
09-27-2011, 09:46 AM
They are great band

uhh_me?
09-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Oh crap I screwed up on the Surf's Up thing. For some reason I thought Surf's Up was after Love You or something. I guess I meant to say MIU or Light Album.

About Smile Sessions... I'm sure the price will go down eventually. It was 170 but then it got bumped down to 140. Barnes and Noble has it for 128.
i'm hoping that the price drops a little before the release date because i put a pre-order in the other day.

while most of what i've heard from MIU Album and Light Album and Keepin' The Summer Alive is pretty terrible, the are a handful of tracks that are keepers. mostly "Endless Summer", i like to pretend that everything ends with that song because that really is where it should have stopped. Dennis was the soul and backbone and all that of the band.

i will put it out there that there is a very vocal group of fans, if a small one, that seem to really go for Light Album.

Born2Fun
10-03-2011, 09:05 AM
i liked the beach boys better the first time... when they were called Chuck Berry ;)

uhh_me?
10-03-2011, 05:53 PM
i liked Chuck Berry the first time he wrote the same song over and over for his entire career.

did that make any sense? no? well neither did yours, buddy. :mad:

yogi_la_bearo
10-10-2011, 08:51 AM
I really like Friends a lot. Is that one where you messed with the track listing? I don't really think there are any bad things on there, except for maybe Transcendental Meditation being sort of strange and being oddly tacked onto the end. It doesn't really make any sense being the closer, coming after Diamond Head, or fitting in with the rest of the album at all really. Everything is so sweet and pretty, and then there's that.

uhh_me?
10-10-2011, 05:49 PM
i've played around a little with Friends, but i haven't done too much with it other than sometimes swapping "Old Folks At Home/Ol' Man River" in instead of "Transcendental Meditation".

the album on its own stands pretty well, so outside of how it ends, i've got no major complaints other than maybe being a little on the short side. could have done with maybe one more track or maybe some of the songs could have been longer.

i really love "Be Here In The Morning".

could do without "Anna Lee, The Healer".

i'm listening to it now, if you can't tell.

carlmarl
10-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I've been listening to the Beach Boys since I was a kid thanks to my Dad. He has all the albums...you know when they were actually albums not CD's. I always thought the way they harmonize together was incredible.

turncoat60%
10-11-2011, 11:12 PM
all i got is pet sounds and i love it. gotta check out their other albums

due 07
11-06-2011, 11:47 PM
The SMiLE Sessions is the shit.

uhh_me?
11-07-2011, 09:46 PM
hate you. my copy still hasn't arrived.

Art Vandalay
11-08-2011, 01:02 AM
I love the Beach Boys as summer music. They remind me of being a little kid riding in the boat with my dad and listening to them. I've rediscovered them last summer and couldn't get enough. One day I'd like to work at least one of their songs into my bands setlist for the summer, but I don't think we will ever harmonize our voices anywhere close.

lp345
11-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I'd really love to get that Smile Sessions edition with the LP's and 7inch singles, but just too damn expensive.

Guess I'll have to settle with the 2CD edition.

due 07
11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
What do you all think is their best "lol surfing is so fun :D" album?

vagelier
11-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Smile.

due 07
11-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I mean at least pre-PS albums. :bonk:

uhh_me?
11-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Today! is pretty clearly the best pre-Pet Sounds album, though it isn't so surfy. the best of those is probably Surfer Girl, if only because it has "In My Room" on it.

there are some great songs on the early ones that don't seem to to end up on the greatest hits stuff, but i'd say that there probably aren't enough to justify going out and buying each early album. the prime example here being "Farmer's Daughter" off of Surfin' USA.

also my SMiLE box came. so pleased.

TheReverend724
11-12-2011, 02:58 PM
I only have Pet Sounds, but want more. Should I grab SMiLE next?

due 07
11-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Today! is pretty clearly the best pre-Pet Sounds album, though it isn't so surfy. the best of those is probably Surfer Girl, if only because it has "In My Room" on it.

there are some great songs on the early ones that don't seem to to end up on the greatest hits stuff, but i'd say that there probably aren't enough to justify going out and buying each early album. the prime example here being "Farmer's Daughter" off of Surfin' USA.

also my SMiLE box came. so pleased.
Thanks, I'll check those out. I've heard Today is pretty essential.

I only have those two, but SMiLE is incredible - so yes.

uhh_me?
11-22-2011, 09:32 PM

still want advice on this?

Today! is really great, mostly for the B side (except "Bull Sessions..."), and Surf's Up becomes just as good as Pet Sounds and Smile with a few minor tweaks (dropping "Student Demonstration Time" and adding "4th of July").

really, pretty much everything up to Love You is worth hearing, well maybe not 15 Big Ones. things get pretty terrible after that with the exception of a few songs.

i wouldn't grab SMiLE right away even though that is probably what your gut is telling you to do. it is on a much bigger scale than anything else they did and you'll probably get the most out of it if you familiarize yourself with the other things that they were capable of and know the songs from SMiLE outside of the context of the album to see how they work into the bigger picture of SMiLE.

on another note, did anyone ever try my remade version of 20/20?

lp345
11-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Smile Sessions is amazing.

I think 'Wonderful' is my favourite. The harpsichord :o

'Barnyard' too, I get that riff stuck in my head all the time now.

due 07
05-15-2012, 12:02 AM
So I was wondering, if old man Wilson hired that shmuck to write lyrics for Pet Sounds, why do the lyrics suck at such an alarming frequency?

I guess suck is too strong, but there is some very questionable wordsmithing going on.

I think 'Wonderful' is my favourite. The harpsichord

'Barnyard' too, I get that riff stuck in my head all the time now.
"Surf's Up" is the best pop song ever written. \m/

faustino
05-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I really love the band. I'm was on a Beach Boys fever last january. I can't stop listening to Kokomo and God only knows. Their voices soothes my soul. It feels like I'm in heaven.

TomSawyerRush
05-20-2012, 08:39 PM
I do love the beach boys, I've been listening to them forever. They bring a smile to my face when I hear a song by them.

due 07
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Anyone listen to That's Why God Made the Radio yet? I'm in the process now, I think it's pretty sweet. It sounds a little overproduced, but neat regardless.

uhh_me?
07-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Late reply.

Listened last night. Some of it was awful. Some of it was ok. The last three songs are in pretty good territory. Mostly, I hated how the guitar sounded throughout. Occasionally the vocal production gets wonky.

Listening to Pacific Ocean Blue right now so I'm going to blame the new BB album not being so good on Dennis being dead.

nicomortem
07-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Here is what I think about the beach boys:

http://youtu.be/5EgXf3-dE6s

Aoresteen
07-28-2012, 02:43 PM
I have most everything the BB did except the Smile Sessions (I have CW Smile).

Pet Sounds is by far my favrorite. I have it in the Deluxe 3 album Set in vinyl. Has The Beach Boys Today! (1965), Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) (1965), and Pet Sounds (1966)

I also like Smiley Smile cause I bought it new in vinyl when it first cam out and wore it out.

James Donovan
08-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I love the Beach Boys. My favorite song is surfin USA. I went to a concert a few years back and they were so awsome.

Awesome song...

due 07
01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
i listened to love you today, wtf yo? :haha

i love how drugged out and creepy it is. "johnny carson" is a masterpiece.

uhh_me?
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Love You is a whole lot of fun. "Good Time" is all jaunty.

due 07
02-02-2013, 01:36 AM
the only albums i love are today!, pet sounds, and the smile sessions. all the other good ones are only interesting to me as biographical documents, you know.

Ruark
02-15-2013, 01:21 AM
I still love the vibes from their "sunny summer" pieces like I Can Hear Music, Surfer Girl, Catch a Wave, etc. I lost interest when that stupid Bruce Johnston came in (he was about as "beachy" as a mortician) and they started playing all this stupid "plonk, plonk, plonk" stuff trying to be Beatles copycats.

Adam808
02-18-2013, 04:43 AM
The Beach Boys are awesome. I got their greatest hits album on iTunes for like $8. It was fun hearing those classic vibes again. :cool: