Fresh Swedish Post-hardcore/emo!

PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Swedish Post-hardcore/emo!

SURVIVINGTHEC
07-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Hello!

I'm the lead guitarist of the band SURVIVING THE CHARADE,
As the header title says, my band is in the post-hardcore genre, you've maybe heard about the swedish act ADEPT?

It would be awesome of you guys could check us out and give us a comment and some constructive criticism about your opinion. We really want to know what we should bring to front on our new album so tell us about what's good and bad so we can make the best ****ing record in our genre's history!

www.myspace.com/survivingthecharade

The album will be released this fall, also an european release tour will be unleashed!
It's gonna be ****ing wicked!

Peace!
Robin,
Surviving The Charade

nashawa
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
No offense, but you'll never make something better that At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command. I don't think any ..."post-hardcore" band ever will.

Constructive criticism... Well, it's nothing I haven't heard before. It's fairly generic, but I guess it's good for what it is. Not really my cup of tea, though.

I think you guys would benefit from trying to distance yourselves a little bit from every other band in the genre, because as it stands, it's nothing groundbreaking.

TMVATDI
07-16-2010, 10:42 PM
No offense, but you'll never make something better that At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command. I don't think any ..."post-hardcore" band ever will.
totally agreed.

SURVIVINGTHEC, post-hardcore is so oddly defined, r you like escape the fate post-hardcore (which ruined punk rock for me), or like atdi, or circa survive? those are like the big 3 different styles within post-hardcore imo

nashawa
07-16-2010, 10:44 PM
It's the kind of posthardcore that isn't reeeally posthardcore, but everyone seems to call it that anyway.

Adam124
07-16-2010, 10:47 PM
First off.

Wrong forum.

Also

Generic

That is all.

slorggetti
07-16-2010, 10:57 PM
nice trendy haircuts lololol

TMVATDI
07-16-2010, 11:06 PM
k here's my honest opinion, dont hate me for it.

you fit into the scene music (escape the fate) category, and you sound exactly like the hundreds of other bands my ex-gf found on myspace and forced me to listen to. you're not really unique at all, ur not experimental in any way, its the same old thing you'll hear from any band that calls themselves "post-hardcore". i can tell that there are going to be people who say they like your band, but there wont be people who say you're band stands out or is their favorite, because there are a lot of other bands that sound the exact same as you.
my advice would be to try to emphasize the "punk" part of "post-hardcore punk," because nobody has seen that done in a while. do things that catch peoples' interest, without trying too hard or it'll look like a cry for attention (basically all emo bands formed in the last decade look like attention-*****s). and all that shredding guitar work would sound a lot cooler if it was just catchy riffs over fast-paced distorted bar chords. and try to think outside the box for those riffs, notes that are dissonant (not in key) actually sound pretty cool sometimes when done right. when loud, heavy, hardcore type bands play completely consanent (in key) notes, it sounds like they're trying to be crazy and noisey but arent succeeding, with dissonant notes, you make the listener almost feel a little uncomfortable, it really sounds crazy, random, and out-of-place, which is what first comes to everybody's mind when they think "hardcore music" whether they know what hardcore means or not.

SURVIVINGTHEC
07-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer my thread!

Cianyx
07-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Protip: Tone down on the myspace. On a band's myspace, all I want to do is hear their tunes, read a little background info and find out where they are playing next.

JxD
07-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Calling this "emo" or "post-hardcore" is misleading.

Swedish emo: http://www.myspace.com/suislalunefan
Post-hardcore: http://www.myspace.com/quicksandnet

I like At The Drive In, but this is a bold statement. What of Fugazi's 13 Songs? Drive Like Jehu's s/t? Nation of Ulysses and their 13 Point Program To Destroy America?

nashawa
07-17-2010, 02:46 AM
Calling this "emo" or "post-hardcore" is misleading.

Swedish emo: http://www.myspace.com/suislalunefan
Post-hardcore: http://www.myspace.com/quicksandnet

I like At The Drive In, but this is a bold statement. What of Fugazi's 13 Songs? Drive Like Jehu's s/t? Nation of Ulysses and their 13 Point Program To Destroy America?
I just said that because that album is widely hailed to be one of (if not) the best post-hardcore (non emo) album(s) of all time.

I like Fugazi, but they're emo as well, DLJ is good too, but I don't consider that album even close to the same calibre. Never been a huge Nation of Ulysses fan to be honest.

Of course my opinion isn't the only one that matters, and there's ample room for debate, I just picked an album that his band couldn't compare to. The ones you mentioned could be substituted.

Perhaps it's bold in saying nothing will ever touch that album again, but the genre in that manifestation is near non-existent at the moment. I just don't see something topping that considering the trend that's taking place right now.

JxD
07-17-2010, 12:21 PM
I just said that because that album is widely hailed to be one of (if not) the best post-hardcore (non emo) album(s) of all time.

I like Fugazi, but they're emo as well, DLJ is good too, but I don't consider that album even close to the same calibre. Never been a huge Nation of Ulysses fan to be honest.

Of course my opinion isn't the only one that matters, and there's ample room for debate, I just picked an album that his band couldn't compare to. The ones you mentioned could be substituted.

Perhaps it's bold in saying nothing will ever touch that album again, but the genre in that manifestation is near non-existent at the moment. I just don't see something topping that considering the trend that's taking place right now.
Oh shit, it just occurred to me I've never even Heard Relationship of Command. I'm going to have to get on that. Anyways, I've heard Slip by Quicksand referred to as a "best album" and I will generally agree with that until I educate myself further. I always thought that Fugazi toed the line between emo and post-hardcore, so I usually refer to them as a good example of both genres. DLJ is probably one of my favorite bands right now and I think their s/t is brilliant. Nation of Ulysses is extremely grating and I usually have to be in the right mood to listen to them, but I think that they were way ahead of their time and produced some really influential jams. That said, I agree with your latter point in the capacity that I'm not really hearing anything ground-breaking on the "post-hardcore" front right now either.

saxaxe
07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Oh shit, it just occurred to me I've never even Heard Relationship of Command.

WHAT?!

TheIrishPatriot
07-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I actually just downloaded Relationship of Command last night. Tis excellent. My favorite post-hardcore album is The Always Open Mouth (from Fear Before) though.

punkforlife93
07-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Holy crap. I think that Relationship of Command was one of the first post hardcore albums I've ever heard, it was when I was maybe 14. The idea that regs on this forum haven't heard it deeply perturbs me.

Also, the lack of Quicksand and Poison the Well mentions in this thread is kinda depressing.

nashawa
07-17-2010, 06:43 PM
JxD mentioned Quicksand. :p:

punkforlife93
07-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Ahh, I see that now. Carry on.

scaryfried
07-17-2010, 09:50 PM
i don't actually like slip by quicksand all that much...

relationship of command wins for me i think.

punkforlife93
07-17-2010, 10:06 PM
For me, it's probably that too. I was just surprised at how little they'd been mentioned is all.

MAX-182
07-17-2010, 10:33 PM
its good. there are some fairly catchy guitar parts. scale of 1-10. 7. Still better than I See Stars.

punkforlife93
07-17-2010, 10:47 PM
:haha

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
07-18-2010, 03:39 PM
All Promote Your Band threads should be here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24738000#post24738000