U2, what's so great about them?

PDA

View Full Version : U2, what's so great about them?

Silveroon009
07-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Don't mean to troll, but they're one of the BIGGEST (notice I used the word BIG not GOOD) bands ever, along with AC/DC, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. But I've never seen what is SO good about U2 seriously, could anyone explain it to me? I repeat, I am NOT trolling, I seriously wanna know why they're so big...

SGFish
07-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Ive often wondered the same thing,

dubes216
07-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Nothing. Bono sounds like someone farting into a mic...

also the other reason i dont like U2 is because Bono thinks he crap dont stink. Southpark hit the nail on the head when they made fun of him.

Tool1986
07-19-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't think I've heard a good U2 song since like Joshua Tree and that era. Whatever, enjoy your stunna shades Bono. 80 Courics of Ireland.

Dempsey68
07-19-2010, 05:37 PM
some songs are good, listen to the joshua tree, it's got 3 or 4 decent tracks. but i think they were just lucky rather than anything.

sidewinderpro2
The popular worship of inferior bands such as U2 actually works to my advantage. I can listen to talented musicians that most people have never heard of, such as Rory Gallagher and Robin Trower, and always enjoy it. They don't suffer from radio overplay like the stuff they crank out today.

Also to point out: U2 is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Rush is not. Correlation?

Nickpocalypse
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that their music is very widely accessible, the lyrics are clean and clear and quite often have a lot to do with social issues that Bono appears to take such a strong stance on. People might be able to feel like they care about things like starvation in Africa, and are doing something to help vicariously through Bono despite the fact that they aren't. I think one of the biggest things behind U2's success is accessibility, and that people feel like they can identify with them and their causes, maybe even moreso than their music. I am not a U2 fan and I certainly am no Bono fan.

BoxCarMothra
07-19-2010, 05:38 PM
I think they're a good band. If you don't like them you can't really expect someone to explain what's good about them.

J-Smack
07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
I have the same question. Haven't they been together since high school or something?

bassguy93
07-19-2010, 07:11 PM
I love U2. They're a great band. They're big because they are extremely accessible and they use their music as a message for a better world.

BrainDamage
07-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Regardless of what you think of Bono as a person, the guy can sing, and on top of that, command a stage like no other. U2 is still popular because they are a solid group of musicians that have produced tight, well put together songs on a consistent basis throughout their career, and they still put on one of the best live shows you can see these days. Simple as that. Or at least that's how I see it. I'm just a casual fan, but they are a good band.

bodyheatseeker
07-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Regardless of what you think of Bono as a person, the guy can sing, and on top of that, command a stage like no other. U2 is still popular because they are a solid group of musicians that have produced tight, well put together songs on a consistent basis throughout their career, and they still put on one of the best live shows you can see these days. Simple as that. Or at least that's how I see it. I'm just a casual fan, but they are a good band.
Pretty much, yeah.

bassguy93
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I saw them on the 360 tour. The best show I've seen in my life. And I've seen Van Halen, ACDC, Kings of Leon, Eric Clapton, and John Mayer. I think I've said enough.

Leo_Watkins
07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
The Edge is the reason why U2 are good.
Not a great fan of the band per se, but I love Edge's approach to music.

SmokeJs
07-20-2010, 10:35 PM
The Edge is the reason why U2 are good.
Not a great fan of the band per se, but I love Edge's approach to music.
The Edge is more of a technician than anything imo.

Leo_Watkins
07-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Agreed kind of. He's still a good songwriter and an ok guitarist, but his approach and way of thinking about music and gear is far better than U2.

Eternal Flame
07-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Watch it might get loud and u will see that they are a small talent pop act as viewd bu the edges admitting he cant play for sh*t without effects

mereed
08-02-2010, 07:03 PM
They're big cause they have an incredibly unique sound. Whether you like em or not, no other guitarist sounds like The Edge. They're actually my favorite band of all time.

In America
08-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Watch it might get loud and u will see that they are a small talent pop act as viewd bu the edges admitting he cant play for sh*t without effects

Actually he CAN play without effects. Listen to his elegant solooing in Love Is Blindness or Unkown Caller.

The scene in It Might Get Loud where he takes the effects off his Elevation riff shows how he can use effects like an instrument and how he puts sound into the creative process rather than just tagging it on for effect.

If you want to see why U2 are so great, look beyond Bono's inflated ego and see that he is an extroadinary frontman and that The Edge is a master of sound and melody. I reccomend Achtung Baby the most and then The Joshua Tree and No Line On The Horion.

the1967mustang
08-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Totally agree. Im a big fan of the Boy to Achtung Baby period, and listen to those songs a lot. The reason they are so popular is because they appeal to a bunch of people, and are just good muscians.

SilenceBreaker
08-13-2010, 10:31 PM
I think it's their songwriting and the atmospheres they created in their songs, with their peak being the Joshua Tree album. But really it depends, like any other band or music artist, on whether you're feeling their music and that's an individual thing. They're more mainstream and pop than other rock bands which doesn't bug me, but will bug a lot of people.

justinphillips
08-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Because they totally kick ass

buckerf
08-15-2010, 08:00 AM
U2 are big because they got da hooks. Simple easy riffs and vocal lines.
In the same why that Yngwie or Dream Theatre arent big because they have very complicated riffs

Jyrgen
08-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Like if It Might Get Loud was a good in-depth view of U2 :haha:

And like some people mentioned, The Edge is the best part of the band. I wouldn't call myself a fan though

burnboy85
08-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Its all taste. I like U2, I think theyre songs are catchy, and fun to play. Bono's voice is a little scratchy, but it doesnt bother me too much.

Kyle Gass
08-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I enjoy U2, But again that goes with Taste, I listen to all Rock, Hell I have Chicago & Phil Collins on my Ipod.

staggguitarhead
08-26-2010, 05:48 PM
I dont get it either. The Edge is ok but Bono is a prick. The band are too overated.

Barricade_28
09-01-2010, 12:50 AM
U2 has a fair catalogue of excellent songs. Virtually every song from their "Best of 1980-1990 (http://www.amazon.com/Best-1980-1990-U2/dp/B00000DFSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283315984&sr=8-2) " album is amazing. Post-1990 has been mostly crud sprinkled with a few good tracks here and there.

Bono does have an excellent voice and sings with passion & stage presence. Bono is just an amazing guitarist, and i'm glad he was ranked so high on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists list. The feeling he puts into his guitar sometimes makes my hair stand on end. He never wastes a single note, and proves you don't need to shred up and down the neck at supersonic speeds to be a great guitarist. It's all in the emotion you put into the music that counts.

biker521
09-01-2010, 06:22 PM
It's pretty much been covered. its a taste thing. Personally, i really like what edge does with all the effects and hes gotta be a damn good rhythm player to have all of the effects sound good, much less, line up. and i agree with barricade 28, its the emotion and the energy that makes the music good

Kyle Gass
09-10-2010, 11:46 AM
It's pretty much been covered. its a taste thing. Personally, i really like what edge does with all the effects and hes gotta be a damn good rhythm player to have all of the effects sound good, much less, line up. and i agree with barricade 28, its the emotion and the energy that makes the music good

Agreed. Edge does have some amazing rythym.

Plus, he's worn a beanie for a decade. 10 points just added.

Garci
09-23-2010, 04:14 PM
I've never liked U2, can't think of a single song of them that made me go "Damn". I mean, I used to like Elevation and Vertigo as a kid/teen, but nothing past that. They're pretty meh in my opinion.

onimacaroni
09-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Think Bono is a proper fud but what a band! Saw them about 10 years ago now they were amaaazing and blew my little mind! One of the only bands i could listen to over and over again forever.

bodyheatseeker
09-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Agreed. Edge does have some amazing rythym.

Plus, he's worn a beanie for a decade. 10 points just added.
I heard he never takes it off, and if he did you would see his naked brain.

CreepingDeath13
09-25-2010, 09:08 AM
i dislike bono.... a lot

In America
09-26-2010, 09:58 PM
I heard he never takes it off, and if he did you would see his naked brain.

does he keep it on when he takes a shower?

bodyheatseeker
09-27-2010, 10:40 AM
does he keep it on when he takes a shower?
Of course.
If he didn't, Bono would brainwash him. :p:

SunTime
09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
IMO, they have very good and memorable songs. Their newer songs aren't nearly as good as their earlier songs though.

corpcleg
09-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Reason u2 are so big? Simple
People are idiots
U2 are like Pringles-everybody knows ther shite but they sell by the truckload-
Theres no thinkin involved,easy soundbites for lyrics minimal guitar,nice and safe,Just pick up that tube n let the shite rolll down your throat n you always get the same thing,always round,plain and uniform. just like the edges solos. Yum!
and if that wasnt enough its good to know the lead singer spend his time worrying bout the poor and needy when hes lyin on his forty-foot yacht

bodyheatseeker
09-30-2010, 03:21 PM
People are idiots
Theres no thinkin involved,easy soundbites for lyrics minimal guitar,nice and safe,Just pick up that tube n let the shite rolll down your throat n you always get the same thing,always round,plain and uniform. just like the edges solos. Yum!
and if that wasnt enough its good to know the lead singer spend his time worrying bout the poor and needy when hes lyin on his forty-foot yacht

:rolleyes:
Have you ever listened to their music or do you just trash them because they're popular?

corpcleg
10-01-2010, 05:09 AM
I wish you were right, Unfortunately I have had the privilige off listening too all there Albums not by choice, If you notice i was TRYN to pass judgement on their "music"
the fact there POPULAR just adds to the arguement that mediocrity rises!
Just caz an act is popular doesnt meen their good,in fact it can often indicate the opposite
(250k people flocking to Knebworth for Robbie Williams gig?).There is not one good MUSICIAN in that band and it shows. The more shite albums they sell the more im convinced im right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theboywil
10-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I never really liked them, then someone wasn't able to use a ticket to their Popmart tour so I went.

Totally blown away by the show, seen them a few times and they each time they put on an amazing show. Still don't really put on their records to listen to but wouldn't miss seeing them live, even recorded live if you give them a chance...

bodyheatseeker
10-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I wish you were right, Unfortunately I have had the privilige off listening too all there Albums not by choice, If you notice i was TRYN to pass judgement on their "music"
the fact there POPULAR just adds to the arguement that mediocrity rises!
Just caz an act is popular doesnt meen their good,in fact it can often indicate the opposite
(250k people flocking to Knebworth for Robbie Williams gig?).There is not one good MUSICIAN in that band and it shows. The more shite albums they sell the more im convinced im right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's some cast-iron logic you have there.
If they sell records, that must mean they're bad. However, if they didn't sell records that would also prove to you that they were bad.

You're being a silly billy.

In America
10-06-2010, 04:21 AM
People are idiots

Sorry that the world doesn't revolve around you, though world huh?

hb15577
10-06-2010, 10:31 AM
i always wonder how people can not like U2

Ramblin'_Man
10-06-2010, 11:00 AM
I enjoy U2, they were my first concert ever. They put on a great show, and are good musicians. While, they have not broken much new ground, they make very good pop/rock. Great lyrics as well, and tackle many social issues. Also, it is quite impressive to have hits in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Not many groups can do that, especially because U2 never went for cheesiness or whatever is the craze at the time(synth-pop in the 80s, grunge in the 90's, etc), they just did what they've always done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ&ob=av2n

I do feel that Bono seems like a Dbag as a person, but I don't know him so I won't say he is.

In America
10-07-2010, 12:20 AM
^ Well said, however their era is '80s '90s and '00s, not '70s '80s and '90s

MoosemartGuy
10-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Because they can make a hit out of With or without you and then make a hit out of WHere the streets have no name, despite the fact they sound exactly the same, as is with almost all their songs, they have no variation, Despite the fact all their songs sound the same, they are enjoyable to listen too, which makes a negative a plus

ManicRepression
10-15-2010, 03:32 AM
never been huge on U2. But "Bullet the Blue Sky" is fuggin' amazing. Pretty much the only thing I like from U2 is that song.

ironmanben
10-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I've only heard one of their albums, the Joshua Tree. The songs on the first side are ok, but the second side is completely forgettable filler. The Edge is NOT a good guitarist.

In America
10-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Because they can make a hit out of With or without you and then make a hit out of WHere the streets have no name, despite the fact they sound exactly the same, as is with almost all their songs, they have no variation, Despite the fact all their songs sound the same, they are enjoyable to listen too, which makes a negative a plus

Yea Bullet The Blue Sky and Running To Stand Still sound EXACTLY the same don't they :mad:

dwaisman
10-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I think U2 is one a kind. I cannot think of any other band that have created so much over the years, without sacrificing their own sound and who they are. I guess that when you develop a sound and make it your own it just becomes your signature. When I hear The Edge doing a solo I can instantly recognize his sound even if I'm not familiar with the song... It think is a great thing for a group and for an artist to be recognized by your sound.

Regards

The K-Man
11-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Sonny Bono? Who said anything bout Sonny Bono? But seriosly, I have no idea why theyre such a huge band... I like Achtung Baby, and How to dismantle an Atomic bomb, but idk wats so wonderful about them.....?

Crazed Shredder
11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I think U2 are great when you want to listen to something mellower than usual. It is tough to find a band in this genre that does not sound generic but you can recognize U2 from a mile away (sonically) I used to have The Joshua Tree. But I don't know what happened to it.