Why is 'The Soft Parade' hated amongst Doors "fans"?

PDA

View Full Version : Why is 'The Soft Parade' hated amongst Doors "fans"?

Leo_Watkins
07-19-2010, 05:31 PM
For me, it's an absolute triumph of an album.

It has the best songs the Doors have ever written on it, yet almost all fans dismiss it immediately.

They complain of cheesey trumpets and pop-style structures, but they're just amazing songs - the whole album.

Most Doors fans I find are stuck in their ways, wanting more blues driven poetry - which is also great; but man accept some change!

Please tell me why this album is so severely overlooked!

iduno871
07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
As with most bands that have had a certain following of fans...when you change your style and it becomes widely popular, your core fan base decides that they don't like it and want the old song styles back.

Voodoo Chile
07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
I like The Soft Parade and definitely feel it doesn't deserve the flack it gets, but I would still say it's the worst Doors album. Not because of the orchestral style of the songs though, Tell All The People probably features this the most prominently and it's my favourite song on the album. I just don't think most of the songs are that good when compared to they're other albums. :shrug:

Tell All The People, Touch Me and The Soft Parade are all really great songs though.

Leo_Watkins
07-19-2010, 06:03 PM
I like The Soft Parade and definitely feel it doesn't deserve the flack it gets, but I would still say it's the worst Doors album. Not because of the orchestral style of the songs though, Tell All The People probably features this the most prominently and it's my favourite song on the album. I just don't think most of the songs are that good when compared to they're other albums. :shrug:

Tell All The People, Touch Me and The Soft Parade are all really great songs though.

Do it, Wild Child, Wishful Sinful?
Come on!!!

diofan88
07-20-2010, 12:13 AM
It's freaking weird

it's a huge step sideways from the albums that came before it

Don't get me wrong, i think it's good, but I've been a Doors fan for years so i am a bit biased. But listen to Shamans Blues and tell me that's not an off the wall song compared to Light my Fire or LA Woman

Leo_Watkins
07-20-2010, 07:15 AM
It's freaking weird

it's a huge step sideways from the albums that came before it

Don't get me wrong, i think it's good, but I've been a Doors fan for years so i am a bit biased. But listen to Shamans Blues and tell me that's not an off the wall song compared to Light my Fire or LA Woman

I see it as their Kid A album. I mean, Radiohead were thrown into the weirdness stratosphere when they released that after OKC and The Bends; but we look back at Kid A as a seminal album now. But The Soft Parade has always been hated amongst Doors fans. I don;t think the tracks are weird at all. I think it's one of their most accessible albums. Look at the likes of L'America on LA Woman, that's certainly far weirder than anything (other than the title track) off Soft Parade.