Suggest some bands, please

PDA

View Full Version : Suggest some bands, please

kpatterson14206
07-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Alrighty, I've recently hit a wall in my music listening. I've been unable to find new bands whose music I enjoy, so I'm hoping maybe you people can help me out. I'll go ahead and list my favorite bands:

Parkway Drive
As I Lay Dying (especially Shadows Are Security)
Darkest Hour (Not a big fan of Eternal Return)
I Killed The Prom Queen (Especially Music For the Recently Deceased)
All The Remains
Mors Principium Est

and some random songs that I really like to give more specific examples:

Reflection - As I Lay Dying
Idols and Anchors - Parkway Drive
In Dying Days - As Blood Runs Black
I Killed The Prom Queen - Say Goodbye
Trivium - Like Light To Flies
In Flames - Reflect The Storm
All That Remains - Whispers (I Hear You)

My favorite riff is probably a three way tie between 0:30-1:04 of As I Lay Dying's Sound of Truth, 0:42-1:08 of Parkway Drive's Idols and Anchors, and 1:28-1:53 of Mors Principium Est's Sinners Defeat.

My favorite breakdown is without a doubt the one in As I Lay Dying's Reflection. I am also a big fan of guitar solos. So, can you help me?

coco-loco
07-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Quite honestly, I hate them, but try Bring Me The Horizon....
....I don't know much about them to be honest, but give it a try?

punkforlife93
07-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Btbam

Kevin19
07-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I may get flamed, but Bullet for my Valentine has a couple good songs, might as well check them out. Also, Killswitch Engage, August Burns Red, and Between the Buried and Me are good.

EDIT: beaten to btbam

They're a little farther from what you listed, but you might also want to listen to Dillinger Escape Plan and Protest the Hero.

robertito696
07-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Between The Buried And Me is really the only hardcore band I can get into, definitely worth checking out.

nashawa
07-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Between The Buried And Me is really the only hardcore band I can get into, definitely worth checking out.
Wha?

Also... there's a recommendations thread.

NickGiovanni
07-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Dream Theater has something for everyone. Since you're more into hardcore. Listen to "As I Am" by Dream Theater. That's the proper way to use drop-tuning

nashawa
07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Dream Theater has something for everyone.
Not true, but carry on.

punkforlife93
07-21-2010, 09:36 PM
If you want to get into other music, I'd recommend Dead Again, The Number 12 Looks Like You, and Dillinger Escape Plan. Botch if you haven't yet. I'm not sure tbh, I'm indifferent towards most metalcore.

MustangMan311
07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
There's a recommendation thread, but who gives a ****? No one sees it at first, anyway. Oh well.

Definitely check out Between the Buried and Me. You're obviously big into metalcore, and they're a good next step. Maybe All Shall Perish, Architects, August Burns Red. One thing I would definitely recommend is Norma Jean's Bless the Martyr, Kiss the Child. Killer album.

deathnote29
07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Bands you might like...

BTBAM (as stated already)
August Burns Red
Dillinger Escape Plan
Periphery
Poison the Well
Protest the Hero
Botch
The Number Twelve Looks Like You
Converge (might be hard for you to get into at first, but they're worth it)

phoenix_crush
07-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Underoaths old stuff with Dallas. Converge. Every Time I Die. Circle Takes the Square.

EDIT: ^FFFUUUUU

technicolour
07-21-2010, 10:04 PM
If you like Mors principium est, check out At the gates and The Absence. Even though those are melodic death metal bands

slorggetti
07-21-2010, 10:10 PM
I suggest you skip the rest of your metalcore phase and go directly to Swarrrm.

kpatterson14206
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
I suggest you skip the rest of your metalcore phase and go directly to Swarrrm.

Really?

To everybody else: thanks a lot, bunch of new ideas so far. Some of the bands suggested like August Burns Red and Bullet are bands that I am quite familiar with, but didn't really feel like they belonged in a list of my favorite bands.

BTBAM is a band that I've always been intrigued by, but progressive stuff is hard for me to get into. Dillinger Escape Plan and Protest The Hero are bands that I've already explored and do not like. The same can be said for Dream Theater, their vocalist really doesn't match the music IMO. I like a couple Bring Me The Horizon Songs, like "Diamonds Aren't Forever" and "Chelsea Smiles", but they lack the "metal" part of "metalcore" that I really enjoy. Killswitch is another band that I've always liked, but it just doesn't quite click for me.

Melodic death metal has always been something I've liked the idea of. They normally feature fantastic leads, but terrible vocals. Clouds Over California by DevilDriver is probably my favorite song from that genre, followed by 5-6 songs from Mors Principium Est. To keep this train rolling, Children Of Bodom is an old favorite of mine as well :D

I'm aware of the recommendation thread, and I've perused it many of time, without much success.

So, my checklist:

BTBAM (moar!)
Underoath
Circle Takes The Square
Converge
Norma Jean
More DevilDriver

nashawa
07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Ugh... no. The thread exists for you to ask for recommendations.

Why does no one think of that?

lordofthefood1
07-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Check out the first thread in the hardcore forum!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884370

kpatterson14206
07-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Ugh... no. The thread exists for you to ask for recommendations.

Why does no one think of that?

Ah, I was under the impression it was just a sticky that hadn't been updated in several years that had a bunch of similar bands together in lists. I assumed the posts afterwards were simply people adding to the list, which was in turn updated in the sticky, which has been the same for awhile. My mistake.

nashawa
07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah, you definitely aren't the first person to think that. But yeah, it's just to keep the forum clean.

slorggetti
07-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Really?

Yes. Listen to Swarrrm and realise what you've been missing.

MustangMan311
07-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Really?

To everybody else: thanks a lot, bunch of new ideas so far. Some of the bands suggested like August Burns Red and Bullet are bands that I am quite familiar with, but didn't really feel like they belonged in a list of my favorite bands.

BTBAM is a band that I've always been intrigued by, but progressive stuff is hard for me to get into. Dillinger Escape Plan and Protest The Hero are bands that I've already explored and do not like. The same can be said for Dream Theater, their vocalist really doesn't match the music IMO. I like a couple Bring Me The Horizon Songs, like "Diamonds Aren't Forever" and "Chelsea Smiles", but they lack the "metal" part of "metalcore" that I really enjoy. Killswitch is another band that I've always liked, but it just doesn't quite click for me.

Melodic death metal has always been something I've liked the idea of. They normally feature fantastic leads, but terrible vocals. Clouds Over California by DevilDriver is probably my favorite song from that genre, followed by 5-6 songs from Mors Principium Est. To keep this train rolling, Children Of Bodom is an old favorite of mine as well :D

I'm aware of the recommendation thread, and I've perused it many of time, without much success.

So, my checklist:

BTBAM (moar!)
Underoath
Circle Takes The Square
Converge
Norma Jean
More DevilDriver
BTBAM's first two albums should fit you much better currently than any of the newer stuff. Trust me, a lot more metalcore in the self-titled and The Silent Circus.

defenderobanana
07-22-2010, 12:11 AM
But Colors is so amazing!!!

deathnote29
07-22-2010, 01:58 AM
But BTBAM is so amazing!!!
Fixed

...because...

BTBAM is always relevant.

Always.

:p: