Learning to 'impersonate' singers (Ray Lamontagne, Eddie Vedder)

PDA

View Full Version : Learning to 'impersonate' singers (Ray Lamontagne, Eddie Vedder)

fngrstylgtr
07-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I can carry a tune, but I've only beein singing for a month or so so I still have a noticably 'new singer' voice... if you know what I mean. Basically, I can sing... but it requires all my focus just to keep it together... so I need more practice.

Annnyyywaaays, the point of this thread is to find out if you can, how easily you can, and how many of you can... impersonate voices. Singers more specifically. I love Ray Lamontagne's voice, same with Eddie, Thom Yorke... lots.

For the sake of this thread, let's use Ray Lamontagne. How can I work towards having a similar quality to my singing voice (throatiness, kinda scratchy)?

Also, I'll get this out of the way. A lot of you will tell me "Find your own voice etc etc". Well I am. Like I said, I'm really new to singing, and have only done a few covers and a few originals.

Thanks a ton.

Ultan000
07-24-2010, 09:19 PM
To get a scratchy kind of raspy voice, you would probably have to start smoking... Probably

fngrstylgtr
07-24-2010, 09:22 PM
I do smoke. Believe or not... although I have a mid to low range voice I am most comfortable singing in the higher range (thom yorke) very clean, with a little bit of vibrato.

edit: I could record a cover (I only have a crappy dollar store mic) and upload it... then you guys could give me advice, excersizes and tips?

Cowless
07-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Well, for one, start with impersonating singers in your range, and practice a lot. That's how I learned to impersonate James Hetfield of Metallica (who is a baritone, like me). Then, develop that into your own voice by mixing it with other styles and adding your own flair.

As for the rasp, more practice. It came naturally for me, doubly so because I was impersonating Hetfield.

A warning: It took me about 6-9 months to get reasonably good at singing, practicing every other day.

AlanHB
07-24-2010, 10:49 PM
A warning: It took me about 6-9 months to get reasonably good at singing, practicing every other day.

I agree. TS you may get a bit of a surprise when you listen to the recordings.

fngrstylgtr
07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks! Good to know. I've been 'practicing' every night... and by practicing I mean just singing a couple songs and then playing them back to hear any mistakes and then I go sing it again and listen back again to see what I can fix.

Do you have any excersizes you can recommend for super new singers? Hell, even if they're intended for 1st graders in choir I'll give it a try... anything to help speed up progress.

By the way, what is a decent practice routine I could set up? I have time to put aside at least an hour every night.... sometimes I have up to 3 or 4 hours free... but I just don't even know where to start.

Also, about my vocal range. Like I said before, I have a mid to low 'normal' voice... but falsetto comes naturally to me and I can hit pretty high notes and well as sing quite clearly and do relatively complex melodies while in falsetto. So if there's a way I can fit in time for my "gut" voice, and head voice into my practice routine that would be prime.

Thanks again guys/gals!

Cowless
07-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Practice smoothly transitioning from your chest voice (low-middle of your range), to your head voice (the highest part without falsetto), and falsetto.

As for warm ups, keep water handy and do your do-re-mi's, or repeat a sound from the very bottom of your range all the way to the top. Even humming in your range works (as said by Chuck Billy of Testament).