Broken truss rod?

PDA

View Full Version : Broken truss rod?

Evan.K
08-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Alright, so I needed to adjust my truss rod, and didn't want to have to drive out to GC and pay them to do it. So I loosened the strings, turned it a quarter/half turn. I heard a few creaks (I heard those are normal). I noticed I turned it just a tad too far, and so when I tried to turn it a small turn the the left, it turned very loosely, unlike before. The turn to the left didn't do anything, and so I tried another small turn, and it still didn't do anything, and still turned very loosely. I restrung my bass, and it plays pretty well, but is my truss rod broken? I didn't hear anything close to a crack, and I didn't even turn it that much. I heard replacing a truss rod is expensive, so I'm hoping not.

Thanks for the help!

Victory2134
08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Whenever I think broken Truss rod, I think broken neck. As in, if the truss rod was broken so would the neck of the instrument. Though I may be wrong. As long as there isn't any neck bending going on then I think you should be fine. If the truss rod /is/ broken and you have a cheap bass, you're probably better off buying a new bass but let's hope that isn't the case huh?

Evan.K
08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Whenever I think broken Truss rod, I think broken neck. As in, if the truss rod was broken so would the neck of the instrument. Though I may be wrong. As long as there isn't any neck bending going on then I think you should be fine. If the truss rod /is/ broken and you have a cheap bass, you're probably better off buying a new bass but let's hope that isn't the case huh?

Yeah, it's an Ibanez GSR200 that I grabbed off ebay for $145.

So far, no neck bending. I found a truss rod repair kit for over 200 bucks, so I'd definatly go for a new bass if it is broken.

Thanks for the help!!

rickyj
08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Whenever I think broken Truss rod, I think broken neck.

FALSE! the truss rod is underneath the fretboard, to replace it i believe you need to remove the fretboard(not sure tho!)

it its a bolt on it would probably be easier to just buy a new neck tho

Evan.K
08-02-2010, 07:56 PM
FALSE! the truss rod is underneath the fretboard, to replace it i believe you need to remove the fretboard(not sure tho!)

it its a bolt on it would probably be easier to just buy a new neck tho

True, although it may be cheaper to buy a new bass.

Thanks!!!

Victory2134
08-02-2010, 07:58 PM

Yeah, so if the truss rod was tightened too much, there'd be immediate back-bow which would probably lead to the fretboard snapping. Which means the neck would break. If the truss rod stopped exerting pressure backwards because it was broken then it'd just snap in the opposite direction.

To the TS, if you're still unsure about whether it's broken or not, take care when changing strings. The last thing I need is a maimed musician on my conscience.

Evan.K
08-02-2010, 08:02 PM
To the TS, if you're still unsure about whether it's broken or not, take care when changing strings. The last thing I need is a maimed musician on my conscience.

Yeah, I'll probably take it to GC to see if they'll look at it (hopefully for free). Like I mentioned, no snapping in the neck, no sound that would indicate snapping, so I think I may be ok.

Thanks again!!

Lukeeeeeeeeeee.
08-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I honestly don't think it is... Take it to GC just in case, and, this sounds reckless, but, when I adjusted mine, I literally just spun the nut around a few times, screwed it all together again, done. No problems. They CAN be trouble, but they aren't as much trouble as they're made out to be. :)

Evan.K
08-02-2010, 09:16 PM
I honestly don't think it is... Take it to GC just in case, and, this sounds reckless, but, when I adjusted mine, I literally just spun the nut around a few times, screwed it all together again, done. No problems. They CAN be trouble, but they aren't as much trouble as they're made out to be. :)

Yeah, I'm planning on taking it down there sometime soon.

Thanks!!

Skeletomania
08-03-2010, 04:46 AM
You don't need to loosen all your strings to adjust the truss rod. You just need to loosen one of your string to get access to the truss rod. Besides, truss rod adjustment are made when there are tensions from the strings. Also remember this golden rule, "lefty loosey, righty tighty." If you keep turning your truss rod left, it means you're loosening your truss rod, not tightening it.

Lukeeeeeeeeeee.
08-03-2010, 05:08 AM
You don't need to loosen all your strings to adjust the truss rod.

This is true but it's also a matter of ease.
There's a HELL of a lot of tension in your stings, especially bass, and if you're tightening up your truss rod, causing the neck to back-bow, then your stings will be getting tighter.
So for comfort and ease, I would. PLUS, it's always good for an intonation check if you're getting that into setting up your bass. :)

fatgoogle
08-03-2010, 05:13 AM
You have to leave the bas for a good few hours for the whole neck to settle before change will be apparent. How long did you leave it.

Tostitos
08-03-2010, 05:34 AM
You have to leave the bas for a good few hours for the whole neck to settle before change will be apparent. How long did you leave it.
This, the wood needs time to settle.

If you're turning the nut and its not doing anything, then you probably have a broken nut, the whole truss rod is not broken, and does not have to be entirely replaced. Take it to a shop/tech/luthier who knows what they're doing and they should be able to sort it out. There are ways to remove a broken truss rod nut and replace it with a new one without replacing the whole truss rod, although it's not the easiest repair.

sstony
08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Adjusting the truss rod is instantaneous, you do not have to let it settle for hours, and your bass should be in tune before you start so you know which way to adjust. A little adjustment then retune and so on till you get it right. If it has alot of inward bow youŽll have to slacken the strings a little because there is alot of tension on the neck.

Evan.K
08-03-2010, 08:36 PM

Not very long

Evan.K
08-03-2010, 08:36 PM
This, the wood needs time to settle.

If you're turning the nut and its not doing anything, then you probably have a broken nut, the whole truss rod is not broken, and does not have to be entirely replaced. Take it to a shop/tech/luthier who knows what they're doing and they should be able to sort it out. There are ways to remove a broken truss rod nut and replace it with a new one without replacing the whole truss rod, although it's not the easiest repair.

Would you truse GC to fix it?

Tostitos
08-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Would you truse GC to fix it?
GC is starting to put up little booth's in-store for a tech. It's got all the tools and bells and whistles to do anything from a simple set up to re-fret or electronics overhaul. If your local GC has one of those, I'd take it there and see what they can do. Look out though, the price GC charges for set ups and repairs is pretty costly.

Another option would be to look for a small local store that has a dedicated repair/modification tech. They'll probably charge you a lot less then GC will.

fatgoogle
08-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Eh yes you do hav to let settle.