Tuning A Six String Guitar To Drop F

PDA

View Full Version : Tuning A Six String Guitar To Drop F

bwalter123
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
The title pretty much says it all. I am using a Dean Mlx with .12-.54 strings and wish to tune it down to Drop F so I am in tune with Meshuggah for the song "Combustion". How exactly do I go about dropping it that low?

siverstorm
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Tune it down?

I'm pretty sure you'd need 13s, and a set up if you want it to sound even remotely good. Assuming you're dropping from Standard-Drop C down to Drop F.

OR you could leave your guitar, and save up for a 7 string (Or 8 string)

AcousticMirror
08-05-2010, 11:30 PM
acousticmirror says this course of action is highly unrecommended. you will sound like garbage.
meshuggah uses awesome extended range and extra string guitars for mega awesome. It's too awesome for a regular six string.

siverstorm
08-05-2010, 11:34 PM
acousticmirror says this course of action is highly unrecommended. you will sound like garbage.
meshuggah uses awesome extended range and extra string guitars for mega awesome. It's too awesome for a regular six string.

This pretty much sums up what I wanted to say in a more comedic and slightly pretentious, but still awesome way.

Demonikk
08-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Don't bother, it'll sound and play like shit. Meshuggah use 30" scale length guitars and I believe their bottom F is a .74 or .70. Either one will most likely not fit in a regular machinehead and even if it did, you would have to raise the action a tonne. Trust me on this, I owned a 30" 8-string so I can tell you you won't get good results unless you have at least a 27" scale

bwalter123
08-05-2010, 11:42 PM
even though it wasnt what i had hoped for ha, i appreciate the fast responses.

olix95
08-05-2010, 11:44 PM
drop F? you'll need string gauges like 25-174 for that, lol

Offworld92
08-06-2010, 12:58 AM
^ lol.

You'll definitely want some kind of baritone for that. Preferably an 8 string, if you're really into them that much, but if not, a baritone 6 or 7 string would be good, as you can do a lot of other stuff with them as well.

onemanarmy9
08-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Baritone 7 should be able to do it fine, though even if it is for a specific song, I highly recommend never playing in drop F. Once you hit Drop G you're playing bass guitar technically (the G is the high string on a bass) and you will piss off almost every bassist if you invade their territory. If it's for fun, yeah, baritone 7 or an 8 will do it, but not that dean.

STABxYOU
08-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Once you hit Drop G you're playing bass guitar technically (the G is the high string on a bass) and you will piss off almost every bassist if you invade their territory. If it's for fun, yeah, baritone 7 or an 8 will do it, but not that dean.

Nonsense.

The low D on a guitar tuned to drop-D matches the pitch of the D string on a bass.

connorhxcchaos
08-06-2010, 05:53 AM
hit up a 7 string or a baritone or a baritone 7 string or an 8 string. The intonation will be way out and it'll become annoying

randomhero93
08-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Nonsense.

The low D on a guitar tuned to drop-D matches the pitch of the D string on a bass.
this.

AlexAngus
08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
If you want to play bass just buy one!

Dayn
08-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Just a heads up, but Combustion is in F standard, it has pull-offs to the open strings which you can't do in drop-F.

I would say... get a baritone guitar, a seven, or an eight string. I have a 27" 8-string and I use a 65 and 85 for my low B and F#; the 85 barely fits in the saddle, and I'd only go as thin as an 80 for the 8th. You're going to have quite a lot of instability that low, and I really don't think it'll work. It's only a 24.75" scale... but you can give it a try. I think it'll be a waste of good strings and won't sound good at all, but you won't know until you try.

Dopey_Trout
08-08-2010, 08:04 PM
If you want to play bass just buy one!

Shut up

valennic
08-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Don't even try to do that. You'll dick up your guitar so bad you'll be furious with yourself.

Just save for an 8 string. Agile makes affordable 8 strings that are great. Get one.

jpnyc
08-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I wouldn’t even try Drop F on a six string. Maybe on a 28" 7-string. But really, if you’ve graduated to playing Meshuggah songs, maybe you need to graduate to an 8-string guitar.

siverstorm
08-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Shut up

I was just about to post this. It's like 8 string guitars are illegal to the purists. -_-

BTW I don't know if I told you before, but I love your sig.

Dopey_Trout
08-08-2010, 08:12 PM
I was just about to post this. It's like 8 string guitars are illegal to the purists. -_-

BTW I don't know if I told you before, but I love your sig.

:five:

I love my 8 string, and I'm jealous of your Edwards :(

DanDarkEraMonks
05-27-2013, 04:34 PM
i have a standard scale charvelle dc1, i have changed my strings to baritone so 13-72 gauge, as i play nothing but dropped tunings and cannot afford a decent 7/8 string, also slack strings arent fun. i have tuned it down to f standard on these strings and it sounds farily decent still on a standard scale. so if like me you cannot afford an 8, definatly use this comprimise. also iv got no problems with the guitar since changing this :)

MESAexplorer
05-28-2013, 12:53 AM
You could probably do it on a baritone 6 string honestly. On quite a few of their songs you can see where they've taped up the GBe strings.

Since you're a Meshuggah fan, I'd recommend a 7 string though. Sure, they play 8, but a lot of people find 7 strings to be difficult to grasp and master. I certainly wouldn't say you need to master a 7 before getting an 8, but it should help with navigating around the fretboard.

crazysam23_Atax
05-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Don't bother, it'll sound and play like shit. Meshuggah use 30" scale length guitars and I believe their bottom F is a .74 or .70. Either one will most likely not fit in a regular machinehead and even if it did, you would have to raise the action a tonne. Trust me on this, I owned a 30" 8-string so I can tell you you won't get good results unless you have at least a 27" scale
Exactly! I was just about to post this. See, the reason that bands like Meshuggah can tune as low as they do is because they use 8-string guitars with a long enough scale length to allow tuning as low as Drop F.

Plus, even assuming that scale length wasn't an issue (which it MOST CERTAINLY is), then you have the issue of determining whether you can even put strings that heavy on a standard 6-string. I sure as hell wouldn't put something as heavy as .74 on a standard 6-string neck.

Offworld92
05-28-2013, 03:20 AM
i have a standard scale charvelle dc1, i have changed my strings to baritone so 13-72 gauge, as i play nothing but dropped tunings and cannot afford a decent 7/8 string, also slack strings arent fun. i have tuned it down to f standard on these strings and it sounds farily decent still on a standard scale. so if like me you cannot afford an 8, definatly use this comprimise. also iv got no problems with the guitar since changing this :)

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/ground-warfare/22727d1287876904-al-khalid-tank-necro-4.jpg

crazysam23_Atax
05-28-2013, 03:57 AM
Holy hell, how did I not notice this was a necro?...

Kyleisthename
05-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Holy hell, how did I not notice this was a necro?...
Because you're crazy

Tom 1.0
05-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Good I miss AcousticMirror :sad: