Greatest of the 4 Beatles Phases

PDA

View Full Version : Greatest of the 4 Beatles Phases

trey-col89
08-06-2010, 10:57 AM
As we all know, the Beatles have had 4 very well publicized phases, first the lovey dovey pop phase, then the transitional maturing phase, then the psychedelic phase, and finally reverting back to the rock and roll roots phase. Vote and discuss the pros and cons of one phase over the other like for example, the ideas of the psychedelic phase are incredible and more imaginative than the early phase, but the harmonies of the early phase are much tighter and more impressive or whatever. Each phase has its standout tracks, just to clarify the four phases by album are...

Early Pop Beatles
Please Please Me
With The Beatles/Meet The Beatles
A Hard Days Night

Transition Beatles
Beatles For Sale
Help
Rubber Soul

Psychedelic Beatles
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour

Back To Basics Beatles
The White Album
Abbey Road
Let It Be

Eryth
08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
The psychedelic beatles... but then I'm a stoner so that helps.

bodyheatseeker
08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
A bit of a typical answer but... I really couldn't choose and it changes with time.
But at this time of asking I'll state a preference for their Transition albums.

offthewall91
08-06-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm quite fond of the Back to Basics Beatles phase.

TMF128
08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I love their psychadelic stuff the most.

My mom likes their pop stuff the most.

BrainDamage
08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Back to basics, with psychedelic in a closer second than I expected. Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's pull a lot of weight for the psychedelic phase, but I can't look past Abbey Road and Let It Be, two of my favorite albums ever.

midgetrocker36
08-06-2010, 04:50 PM
back to basics...i hate their poppy stuff but their phsycadelic stuffs alright

bodyheatseeker
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
back to basics...i hate their poppy stuff but their phsycadelic stuffs alright
Then you have no heart.

C_Miller
08-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Revolver is almost a transitional album. It has a lot in common with both Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper. It can really go in both. By stating that, I choose the transitional period, but I love the Back to Basics stuff too. Seeing as three of the Beatles went on to write some of the best music of their career immediately after the break up of The Beatles, then I can only assume the next album after Let it Be would have been killer.

slipknot5678
08-07-2010, 02:59 AM
I'm quite fond of the Back to Basics Beatles phase.

Me too.

rocketfalls
08-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Man, they're all great. I think my favorite phase is either psychedelic or back to basics, even though my favorite Beatles album is Rubber Soul...

((HeyOh))
08-07-2010, 10:13 PM
i love the back to basics albums as you listed them, but strawberry fields forever is probably my favorite song of all time so i had to vote for psychedelic beatles. those songs are all so happy to listen to, like you can just sit with friends, put them on in the background and have all your problems melt away

bodyheatseeker
08-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Been listening to them today.
I change my vote to the early pop stuff :D

RawPower218
08-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Going by the way TS puts it, I'd have to say Psychedelic Beatles/Pet Sounds Ripoff Beatles. :p:

Although, Abbey Road is my favorite album by them.

blue_strat
08-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Pet Sounds Ripoff Beatles. :p:
Sgt Pepper was only as influenced by Pet Sounds as Pet Sounds was influenced by Rubber Soul.

trey-col89
08-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Revolver is almost a transitional album. It has a lot in common with both Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper. It can really go in both. By stating that, I choose the transitional period, but I love the Back to Basics stuff too. Seeing as three of the Beatles went on to write some of the best music of their career immediately after the break up of The Beatles, then I can only assume the next album after Let it Be would have been killer.
Yes that is a good point, Revolver is kind of like a hybrid if you will. And yes, imagine a 1971 release being headlined Imagine, Maybe I'm Amazed, and All Things Must Pass..... daaaaaaammmmnn that might have already qualified to be their best album.

the1967mustang
08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Although I am a big fan of all, I would say Psychedelic Beatles. Nothing beats Sgt. Peppers

Pencil Man
08-08-2010, 09:11 PM
That's a hard question, I love all of it, but I'll have to go with Back To Basics, just because I listened to Anthology 3 so much that I know those last albums really closely.

guitarwalrus
08-13-2010, 04:23 AM
Psychedelic Beatles and Back to Basics Beatles. It was a hard choice but I went with the latter.