Explaining differences

PDA

View Full Version : Explaining differences

tyrogue
08-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey harcore forum d00ds (and d00dettes :D ), hear me out on my problem.

As friends might do, I LOOOOVE to talk about music with mine. A lot of times my friends will be like "Oh hey have you heard of *band*, they are like a classic rock band and stuff." and then I'll go "Hey have you heard of *band*, they are a metalcore band." and then they'll go "C'mon not more of that Screamo crap".

TL;DR How do I explain to my buds the difference between Metalcore/Deathcore and Screamo, cause all they think is "Scream/Growl/Anything-not-clean = Screamo"?

Thanks in advance :cool:

nashawa
08-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Screamo is a derivative of post hardcore and emo, characterized by it's somewhat dissonant and inaccessible musical style that more closely resembles punk than hardcore or metal (in a lot of cases). The vocals are usually further back in the mix, so they become more like an added ambient texture (not all cases, but it happens a lot). Screamo doesn't have breakdowns.

That should be enough.

EDIT: I'm sure someone will come up with a better explanation though.

BlitzkriegAir
08-06-2010, 08:56 PM
screamo shares a lot of similar elements as with metalcore

not your friends faults for not listening to that horrible music long enough to tell them apart

kurtebirdi
08-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm in the boat with your friends, it's not that we don't acknowledge the difference, it's the fact that we really just don't think that all the screaming is necessary or sounds good. Most hardcore genres are relatively similar, and screamo has one of the big characteristics in common, so people are going to associate all screaming music as screamo and deduce hardcore from screamo as if screamo is a broad term for screamo+hardcore

Tadams06
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Wikipedia Whoohoo!

Metalcore - The vocalizing technique in metalcore is generally screamed vocals, particularly common among many 1990s metalcore groups. Today many metalcore bands combine screaming vocals with the usage of clean vocals usually during the bridge or chorus of a song.

Screamo - First-wave screamo uses typical rock instrumentation, but is notable for its brief compositions, chaotic execution, and screaming vocals. It has been described, by music journalist Jason Heller, as "graft[ing] spastic intensity to willfully experimental dissonance and dynamics,"indicating a kinship with noise rock. Later groups sometimes included synthesizers and other electronic sounds.

guitarsftw
08-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I really don't think that it's genre-confusion, I know lots of people label anything with screaming as "screamo", and do so in a negative way. The term really has dual meaning.

saxaxe
08-06-2010, 09:02 PM
OH MY GOD THE IGNORANCE IN THIS THREAD IS OVERWHELMING. Nash's post is the only one that's worth ANYTHING. Screamo is much more melodic and focuses more on dynamics and emotion than metalcore/deathcore and more than most metal. The vocals, although still screaming, are completely different. They're more frantic and chaotic, and also focus more on dynamcs and emotion. Screamo is a very distinct, individual genre with almost nothing in common with other extreme genres of music, aside from the fact that it's a derivative of punk.

BlitzkriegAir
08-06-2010, 09:07 PM
OH MY GOD THE IGNORANCE IN THIS THREAD IS OVERWHELMING. Nash's post is the only one that's worth ANYTHING. Screamo is much more melodic and focuses more on dynamics and emotion than metalcore/deathcore and more than most metal. The vocals, although still screaming, are completely different. They're more frantic and chaotic, and also focus more on dynamcs and emotion. Screamo is a very distinct, individual genre with almost nothing in common with other extreme genres of music, aside from the fact that it's a derivative of punk.

i never lol'd so hard in my life

JaxBOM
08-06-2010, 09:10 PM

yeah screamo's more emotion packed than metalcore. hence the name screamo

nashawa
08-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Wow, where'd all these Nickelback fans come from?

saxaxe
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
i never lol'd so hard in my life
Look. I get that you don't know what screamo is and I'm fine with it. Most people don't. Just don't go running your mouth about something you have no clue about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eM6B8VFBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gto_IYvlYLA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Yffdbg7Wg

Tell me with a straight face that these aren't focused on dynamics and emotion.

ciadude2
08-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Most people just really don't care about the minor nuances between death/metal/whatevercore.

Honestly I don't like metalcore or screamo. Too much "baww" for my taste. To be fair, I don't like classic rock either.

I like some screaming. I hate others. I like some singing. I hate other peoples vocals. I can listen to almost any instrumental track and enjoy it but I'm picky about the vocals. That's what I don't really like about a lot of core genres as well as screamo. Some people dig that though. I'm not ripping on anyone here.

Everyone likes different things. If your friends don't like screaming... well then they aren't going to want to pay attention to the differences between most(if not all) metal genres.

My favorite guitarist is Alexi Laiho but I think his vocals are awful. Just my taste.

tl;dr If they don't like screaming they won't give a damn about screaming music. I'm the same way with rap, hip hop, and r&b. I can't tell the difference between them if asked and I honestly just don't give a damn. It's all "that rap crap" to me, but again some people like it so all the power to 'em.

nashawa
08-06-2010, 09:17 PM

not your friends faults for not listening to that horrible music long enough to tell them apart
Name one distinct similar element. Go on.

saxaxe
08-06-2010, 09:18 PM
I mean whether or not you like it, the differences are undeniable and painfully obvious, even to a completely untrained ear.

ciadude2
Look. I get that you don't know what screamo is and I'm fine with it. Most people don't. Just don't go running your mouth about something you have no clue about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eM6B8VFBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gto_IYvlYLA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Yffdbg7Wg

Tell me with a straight face that these aren't focused on dynamics and emotion.

I can definitely see the classic punk/hardcore roots in there. Most people when they hear screamo think "oh god not that Bring Me The Hairspray shit again".

nashawa
UG has been full of fail today.

saxaxe
08-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I can definitely see the classic punk/hardcore roots in there. Most people when they hear screamo think "oh god not that Bring Me The Hairspray shit again".
Exactly. And that's not. screamo. Screamo's become this insult and people know nothing about the actual genre.

guitarsftw
08-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Exactly. And that's not. screamo. Screamo's become this insult and people know nothing about the actual genre.
And most non-hardcore-rooted fans really don't care. The term works as a description whether it fits with the genre title or not.

nashawa
08-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Why are you even posting in here if you don't care?

And no you're wrong. Calling every band that uses a synth "synthpop" doesn't do anything to describe the band's sound. The same can be said about using "screamo".

ciadude2
08-06-2010, 09:35 PM

And no you're wrong. Calling every band that uses a synth "synthpop" doesn't do anything to describe the band's sound. The same can be said about using "screamo".

You're coming off as quite hostile. Perhaps you misinterpreted because I wasn't clear?

I said most people don't care. Most doesn't include me. I can tell you the difference between different genres like metalcore and hardcore. This isn't about me though, this is about OP's friends not knowing what screamo is and assuming all metal/hardcore rooted bands are screamo because the word scream is in the name.

nashawa
08-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I wasn't talking about you :p: I was talking about the person above me.

Cianyx
08-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Don't bother. Listening to different genres is like learning a different uni subject. You've got to be legitimately interested in the genre to be able to tell the difference. Best you can do is avoid talking about your music unless they show some real interest (not some passing comment stuff).

nashawa
08-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, if this thread has proven anything, it's that folks is dumb.

handbanana
08-06-2010, 09:45 PM
i feel like this topic comes up in the off-topic thread like once a month

guitarsftw
08-06-2010, 09:51 PM

1. I never said I didn't care, I was just noting that most do not care, implying that TS's friends, who the thread is geared for, really aren't looking for enlightenment on labels and whatnot.

2. People often label something with any sort of screaming as screamo DEROGATORILY (is that a word?) and I ALWAYS know what they mean. They mean "ugh, annoying music with screams". I didn't need enlightenment on why they used the term, for most the word is a descriptive adjective instead of a genre-based noun. And being that, given the context, most people including myself can tell which version the user intended, the use of the word in its incorrect form still makes sense as a description.
It all just comes down to labels, and labels in the end are stupid, so why should we care if they are "correct" or not?

nashawa
08-06-2010, 09:55 PM
I hate the "labels don't matter" people. Everyone compartmentalizes. It's human nature.

guitarsftw
08-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I hate the "labels don't matter" people. Everyone compartmentalizes. It's human nature.
True, everyone does, but that doesn't mean that every compartmentalization should be universal, especially concerning things that affect everyone differently, such as music.

nashawa
08-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Genres exist for a reason: to make it easier to help distinguish music.

guitarsftw
08-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Genres exist for a reason: to make it easier to help distinguish music.
I agree with you, but genres are merely guidelines blown way out of proportion for and by marketing.

Cianyx
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I agree with you, but genres are merely guidelines blown way out of proportion for and by marketing.
How?

ginger5138
08-06-2010, 11:48 PM
There is no difference. Everything with screaming is exactly the same. (obvious troll?)

phoenix_crush
08-06-2010, 11:59 PM
There is no difference. Everything with screaming is exactly the same. (obvious troll?)
Yeah, obvious troll is obvious. Do you really have nothing better to do with your time than try to rile people up on the internet. I pity you.

ginger5138
08-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Naw, if I wanted to make people mad I wouldn't have pointed out my trolling, it was more like making fun of this kids friends cuz to me the differences between genres are blatantly obvious. =)

phoenix_crush
08-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Naw, if I wanted to make people mad I wouldn't have pointed out my trolling, it was more like making fun of this kids friends cuz to me the differences between genres are blatantly obvious. =)
Ah, alright then. Carry on.

Thebiz
08-07-2010, 01:08 AM
99% of popular bands = metalcore.

/Reading Rainbow.

JxD
08-07-2010, 11:27 AM
In regards to the original post; to be fair I think you're friends are generally right about these genres. In my opinion screamo, deathcore, and metalcore are all the same thing. They all feature people playing instruments, I think I heard a guitar, probably a bass, and usually drums. I think they all have lyrics about various topics that the band thought were interesting or important enough to write about. I think a lot of them play shows and have myspace pages. Most of those bands all share vocals, in that vocal tracks are present in their recordings. You can usually buy their recordings from stores or places on the internet. I hope this helps.

asator
08-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Oh God this thread makes me want to turn round and leave the Hardcore forum forever.

nash and saxaxe, I can just about see you smacking your heads off your desks :haha:

+}-136-{+
08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow, where'd all these Nickelback fans come from?

Stay godlike Nash. :haha:

In regards to the original post; to be fair I think you're friends are generally right about these genres. In my opinion screamo, deathcore, and metalcore are all the same thing. They all feature people playing instruments, I think I heard a guitar, probably a bass, and usually drums. I think they all have lyrics about various topics that the band thought were interesting or important enough to write about. I think a lot of them play shows and have myspace pages. Most of those bands all share vocals, in that vocal tracks are present in their recordings. You can usually buy their recordings from stores or places on the internet. I hope this helps.

You too JxD.

Everyone else in this thread (regulars and myself excluded) can go sit on a cactus.

To OP, don't be a lazy/dumb cunt. learn how to use Google/Wikipedia and don't make retarded friends.

tyrogue
08-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Damn, I didn't think I would start a flamewar, but ok

JxD
08-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Damn, I didn't think I would start a flamewar, but ok
Genre questions, namely pertaining to "metalcore" and "screamo" always result in issues. I have never seen an exception in the entire time that I've posted in this forum, often because I incite said wars by claiming that what most people describe as metalcore is, in fact, not metalcore, rather a recent manifestation of heavy metal with breakdowns, whereas real metalcore is a very specific 90's genre wherein heavy hardcore was given a metal slant because hardcore dudes were listening to Slayer too much.

Screamo is more of a genre cluster**** because it encompasses vastly different bands and is typified by characteristics that can range from lyrics to song-structure. For example, all these bands are considered screamo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NkUlzSVnM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a65e2Z7g2C0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpS_1Mx78S8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgJjf1v6lJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwJj_L5utk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixsYBYyFMhk

But, when it comes down to it, this:

Screamo is a derivative of post hardcore and emo, characterized by it's somewhat dissonant and inaccessible musical style that more closely resembles punk than hardcore or metal (in a lot of cases). The vocals are usually further back in the mix, so they become more like an added ambient texture (not all cases, but it happens a lot). Screamo doesn't have breakdowns.

I think the best way to get a grasp on what screamo is would be to listen to examples, but if you're not into it, it can all sound the same.

boffen
08-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Why do some threads attract swarms of people I've never seen before?

slorggetti
08-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I wonder that too. And it's usually the shit threads like this...odd...

+}-136-{+
08-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Why do some threads attract swarms of people I've never seen before?

Stupid people are drawn to stupid shit?

technicolour
08-07-2010, 04:03 PM

I'm gonna slap your across the face with my Math's full length :mad:

But uh..yeah - I find when dealing with people who are ignorant when it comes to these genres it works best to just use the word "punk" when referring to hardcore bands, because it usually puts a slightly more accurate image into the person's head than the word "hardcore."

MustangMan311
08-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I didn't read through the shitfest this thread was, but people calling any type of music with screamed / harsh vocals screamo is my biggest pet peeve. Period. Nothing tops that. I don't know how many times I had to refrain from verbally abusing one of these idiots in high school. At least once a week I'd either have to explain or just walk away. ****ing hate it.

GodofCheesecake
08-07-2010, 04:40 PM
What a fun thread.

nashawa
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Every time there's a thread like this, it basically becomes Fox News. The voices of reason do exist, but they're drowned out by the overwhelming amount of misinformation, ignorance and sheer stupidity.

asator
08-07-2010, 05:38 PM
^ That.

technicolour
08-07-2010, 05:48 PM
speaking of Fox news - I bet even Jesus knows the difference between screamo and metalcore. jeez

SeveredSurvival
08-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Nicklbacks my favorite band guys. Fuck. So heavy.

CHAD KROOOOEEEEGUUUUUUUR

asator
08-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Thread's now about Nickleback.

So how bout dat "Rockstah" then, ay? :cool:

SeveredSurvival
08-07-2010, 06:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAw8khnYPC0

on the topic of nickelback...

seriously though, some people really need to get a clue as to what scream is, most of you did your job well here better descpription than i could ever attempt to give, and I hate kids that pop into threads that have never been here before.

technicolour
08-07-2010, 06:12 PM
I think the worst part is when someone says "I don't care what it actually means - I use the word screamo in a derogatory way - in reference to bands I don't like that use harsh vocals."

So in turn - I suggest we refer to classic rock bands as nu-metal, when/if we choose to display distaste towards said rock.

SeveredSurvival
08-07-2010, 06:28 PM
limp bizkit was the first classic rock band

asator
08-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Eww you like classic rock. GTFO, nu metal is where it's at.

Journey ftw.

Magero
08-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I didn't read through the shitfest this thread was, but people calling any type of music with screamed / harsh vocals screamo is my biggest pet peeve. Period. Nothing tops that. I don't know how many times I had to refrain from verbally abusing one of these idiots in high school. At least once a week I'd either have to explain or just walk away. ****ing hate it.
MATHCORE IS A REAL GENRE

*runs*

saxaxe
08-07-2010, 09:02 PM
MATHCORE IS A REAL GENRE

*runs*
:haha: :haha: :haha:

MustangMan311
08-07-2010, 09:53 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

http://rigsamarole.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/scanners.jpg

phoenix_crush
08-07-2010, 09:55 PM
lol

saxaxe
08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Actually mathcore is a subgenre of screamo.

asator
08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
What, like For Today?

Sorry, I just can't do it.... :haha:

saxaxe
08-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Yeah, like For Today. Mathcore is basically a screamo band that has technical parts or any guitar solos or clean jazz parts. Like For Today, Protest The Hero and The Human Abstract.

asator
08-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Actually, Protest The Hero are technical punk metal. Maybe you should read up on this stuff before you start posting.

saxaxe
08-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Actually, Protest The Hero are technical punk metal. Maybe you should read up on this stuff before you start posting.
Dude there's no punk in Protest the Hero. Punk bands just use the same 2 power chords over and over again. They don't sound anything like Green Day and they don't even have mohawks.

lordofthefood1
08-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Dude there's no punk in Protest the Hero. Punk bands just use the same 2 power chords over and over again. They don't sound anything like Green Day and they don't even have mohawks.
Well, that is kind of a bold statement.

A Calculated Use Of Sound is a hardcore punk album and if you disagree I will shoot you in the groin :p: . Kezia is either metal influenced by hardcore or hardcore influenced by metal, it is hard to tell because they were in a transitional stage. Fortress is a metal album with some non-metal aspects.

and PtH isn't a mathcore band...
:D

(I know you're being sarcastic, but I just wanted to post something in this awful thread)

saxaxe
08-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Well, that is kind of a bold statement.

A Calculated Use Of Sound is a hardcore punk album and if you disagree I will shoot you in the groin :p: . Kezia is either metal influenced by hardcore or hardcore influenced by metal, it is hard to tell because they were in a transitional stage. Fortress is a metal album with some non-metal aspects.

and PtH isn't a mathcore band...
:D

(I know you're being sarcastic, but I just wanted to post something in this awful thread)
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/Mpix1/missingthepoint.png

EDIT:
Just read the parenthetical statement, so I retract my assholeish picture. Or we can ignore the fact that you're aware of my sarcasm and just enjoy the appropriateness and hilarity of my picture. :)

Cianyx
08-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Only Death Before Dishonor and Hatebreed are true punx

asator
08-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Only Death Before Dishonor and Hatebreed are true punx
Somebody's never heard DanceGavinDance....

slorggetti
08-07-2010, 11:03 PM
The Ramones are troo mathcore.

asator
08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
:heart: This thread.

saxaxe
08-07-2010, 11:16 PM
:haha my god, I can't keep this up anymore.

GodofCheesecake
08-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I think the worst part is when someone says "I don't care what it actually means - I use the word screamo in a derogatory way - in reference to bands I don't like that use harsh vocals."

So in turn - I suggest we refer to classic rock bands as nu-metal, when/if we choose to display distaste towards said rock.
I'm not defending them, but really when you think about it it's like calling things that you don't like gay. Plenty of people do that, and being gay isn't inherently derogatory yet it's become an insult in our vernacular.

Slightly off topic, but I saw a parallel.

asator
08-07-2010, 11:17 PM
:haha: You're too good at this..

EDIT: @saxaxe

saxaxe
08-07-2010, 11:23 PM
:haha: You're too good at this..

EDIT: @saxaxe
*bows*

Magero
08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
I think it's interesting that gay has become an insult, to the point where people have almost stopped caring. I used to be annoyed by it, but with it's "new" meaning, it's like fag. You don't mean it as an insult to gay people, it's just how the language has evolved. Not saying I like it, but it's still interesting.

Plus, this is the gayest thread you fags have ever made awesome, so, I can't complain too much.

technicolour
08-08-2010, 12:06 AM
I just used "gay" in the derogatory way around people who know me, and know I'm so far from a homophobe. Around new friends, not so much.

chris_122
08-08-2010, 12:35 AM
God hates fags. Creed is the best band ever. Palin 2012.

nashawa
08-08-2010, 03:19 AM
I claim this thread sovereign territory of Nashville (assuming Nashville isn't already a place and I decided to make a wildly unoriginal fictional country name out of using my name + "ville" on the end... so yeah).

This shitty piece of real estate now belongs to me.

UntoExistence
08-08-2010, 03:43 AM
man i couldn't even read past the first page of this thread

nashawa
08-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Probably for the best, man...

saxaxe
08-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I claim this thread sovereign territory of Nashville (assuming Nashville isn't already a place and I decided to make a wildly unoriginal fictional country name out of using my name + "ville" on the end... so yeah).

This shitty piece of real estate now belongs to me.
http://www.ianmarshall.com/_CONSTRUCTION/IanMarshall_Web_Nashville.gif

GodofCheesecake
08-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Dude, Nashville is the state capital of Tennessee.

asator
08-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Nashland? The People's Republic of Nash?

technicolour
08-08-2010, 01:28 PM
nash my teeth

GodofCheesecake
08-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I'll Nash your tires.

nashawa
08-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Dude, Nashville is the state capital of Tennessee.
Obviously...

That's why I said "if we assume it isn't already a place." :p:

GodofCheesecake
08-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Oh. When you said "assuming Nashville isn't already a place" I thought that meant you were assuming that.

nashawa
08-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Ah, yes. I can see that. Well, chalk it up to ambiguous grammar on my part.

I've always been partial to Nashtopia anyway.

phoenix_crush
08-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Somebody's never heard DanceGavinDance....
or Fall Out Boy. They're punk-emo!

SeveredSurvival
08-08-2010, 04:52 PM
hawthorne heights are death metal

asator
08-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Converge are good.

http://www.brotherhoodofb.com/edbd3ba0bd09661958e0a09acf77395a.Creepy_trollface.png

nashawa
08-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Converge are good.

Glad you agree.

asator
08-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Glad you agree.
Just to clarify, I love Converge.

SeveredSurvival
08-08-2010, 05:07 PM
i love me some converge, on the topic of converge it was stated that the dudes from dangers hate them in the dangers thread does anyone have proof of this?

nashawa
08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Apparently it's not true. lookpizza knows them or something and i remember him saying that they wear converge shirts and stuff.

SeveredSurvival
08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
i don't see how they would hate on converge...., i dont see how anyone would hate converge

boffen
08-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Not everyone likes nu-metal with screamo lyrics.

SeveredSurvival
08-08-2010, 05:28 PM
i thought converge were acoustic rock though

nashawa
08-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Back when they were a Beatles cover band, yes, but no more.

SeveredSurvival
08-08-2010, 05:41 PM
dude the beatles were never acoustic or hippie music they were the founders of heavy glam metal

MustangMan311
08-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't guess I hate them, but I don't like Converge in the slightest.

nashawa
08-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah, you prog guys don't seem to like it.

What your biggest issue with it?

MustangMan311
08-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Well, I've listened to Axe to Fall probably five times through, and I just find it kind of boring. I do like Dark Horse, but I mean, that's one song. I can appreciate them and they're definitely killer musicians, I just don't dig their production, their style of music, their particular feel / twist on the genre. I just really can't seem to get into them at all.

nashawa
08-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Fair enough, and to be honest most of their fans (me included) seem to think Dark Horse is really contrived and "fake" sounding, if that makes any sense. It just seems like they tried something that isn't really them. So if you don't like them, it makes perfect sense you'd like the least Converge-esque song they've ever written.

lordofthefood1
08-08-2010, 07:44 PM
haha, I really don't like converge though...

Magero
08-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I was never a huge Converge fan, but I enjoy them enough, on a casual enough basis to wear one of their shirts and not feel like a poser. :haha

Only really listened to Jane Doe and Axe to Fall properly, but the brief listens I gave to the other stuff, I enjoyed what I heard. I just really like music that feels honest.

technicolour
08-08-2010, 09:25 PM
you fail me has grown on me so much

slorggetti
08-08-2010, 09:31 PM
You Fail Me was always my favorite, but I was never huge on Converge...

asator
08-09-2010, 09:00 AM
you fail me has grown on me so much
You Fail Me and Jane Doe >>>>>>>>> Everything else they've ever done, for me.

It doesn't really sound like Converge, but I just love it.

You Fail Me that is, Jane Doe obviously sounds very like Converge :haha:

InstantAXonHero
08-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Converge is screamo, right?

guitarxo
08-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for making this thread TS, I had this problem too.

phoenix_crush
08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Back when they were a Beatles cover band, yes, but no more.
:five:

EDIT: Also I used to hate Converge, but now I've realized Jane Doe is an amazing album. I like the song Plagues a lot too. And as I may be joining a metal band I've been trying to write riffs that are a combination of Converge and Rosetta. Feels good man.

+}-136-{+
08-09-2010, 01:53 PM

EDIT: Also I used to hate Converge, but now I've realized Jane Doe is an amazing album. I like the song Plagues a lot too. And as I may be joining a metal band I've been trying to write riffs that are a combination of Converge and Rosetta. Feels good man.

When it comes to their slower songs, Plagues was always my least favorite. Far too repetitive for my tastes. The whole thing seemed to drag on. The changes in dynamics didn't hook me in either. Favorite slow Converge song would have to be "You Fail Me". "Worms Will Feed" comes close. Kurt's vocals in it are so damn powerful.

asator
08-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Do want.

Vaguely related to this thread: Somebody confidently informed me that Bring Me The Horizon were a screamo band tonight. Console me :cry:

tancanada
08-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Vaguely related to this thread: Somebody confidently informed me that Bring Me The Horizon were a screamo band tonight. Console me :cry:

Inform them of their tragic mistake!

asator
08-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Inform them of their tragic mistake!
I tried. Weren't having it though.

technicolour
08-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Destroy them.

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/les%20goupes/S/Sadistic%20Intent/Resurrection/Resurrection.jpg

/scary face

phoenix_crush
08-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Do to their mother what the band did to your ears. Rape.

tancanada
08-10-2010, 01:50 AM
BMTH isn't THAT bad...

saxaxe
08-10-2010, 01:55 AM
BMTH isn't THAT bad...
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/14/129157560796314951.gif

tancanada
08-10-2010, 01:58 AM
:haha: :haha:
Well I mean, Phoenix said BMTH was comparable to rape. I consider maybe, ohhhh let's say Brokencyde or Dr. Acula comparable to rape and BMTH closer to a possession with the intent to sell, if you catch my drift.
EDIT: Especially old old BMTH. TIWTEOYSWMF is quite enjoyable

UntoExistence
08-10-2010, 02:23 AM
god damn what the fuck is going on in this thread?

SeveredSurvival
08-10-2010, 02:33 AM
well we've come to a conclusion that converge are a beatles cover band thats for sure.

Magero
08-10-2010, 02:38 AM
All these bands are just ripping off Judas Priest anyway.

SeveredSurvival
08-10-2010, 02:57 AM
whats a judas priest?

Cianyx
08-10-2010, 03:17 AM
I dono. The vocals sounds gay

GodofCheesecake
08-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Converge isn't interesting and that cat gif is probably one of the best things that's come out of the internet since its existence.

Thebiz
08-10-2010, 03:43 AM
BMTH isn't THAT bad...

I respected them more after I saw them live. And they were good. :eek:

asator
08-10-2010, 09:27 AM
I respected them more after that song with Sam Carter that was actually good. Mainly because of Sam Carter, but yeah.

I don't actually mind the band that much, they have their moments. But they're not ****ing screamo :haha:

phoenix_crush
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
BMTH is great live. I won't lie. I only saw them once though.

JxD
08-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I've never actually listened to Bring Me The Horizon, but I feel like I'm on the verge of retiring from punk-rock (bring on the Jawbreaker and Samiam records), so I'll just assume that I'd dislike them.

nashawa
08-10-2010, 07:27 PM
I only feel like one Samiam record is any good.

asator
08-10-2010, 07:27 PM
JxD, you'll probably hate them. If you want to confirm / disprove that, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcoPW53yO3E&feature=av2e

JxD
08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
I only feel like one Samiam record is any good.
Whatever, when you retire from punk-rock you have to like all of them. I actually have yet to listen to any. This is completely intentional, as I am going to get all of them and listen to them from start to end when I turn 22 and am officially a geriatric in the eyes of the hardcore community.

Also, in regards to what Asator posted: I want nothing to do with Bring Me The Horizon. I've never heard them and would like to keep it that way. The last time my curiosity got the best of me and forced me to check out a band that had a ton of negative criticism behind it I heard a Brokencyde song. I will not go through that a second time.

asator
08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
:haha: They aren't quite on that level, but yeah, probably a good move.

nashawa
08-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Whatever, when you retire from punk-rock you have to like all of them. I actually have yet to listen to any. This is completely intentional, as I am going to get all of them and listen to them from start to end when I turn 22 and am officially a geriatric in the eyes of the hardcore community.
I can't really get into Clumsy anymore. It just sounds like the Goo Goo Dolls, or Seether or something I would have loved in grade 8, and You Are Freaking Me Out just sounds like it's full of B-sides.

technicolour
08-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I check out bands like that when I'm feeling nauseated and want to induce vomit. Although after watching that VIDEO, I fear the worst.

Isn't it funny how terrible bands produce eye-gougingly terrible videos. The imagery - the cloths, the hair, the parties - metal is just a fucking party to them, it might as well be a 50 cent video.

TheIrishPatriot
08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
All these bands are just ripping off Judas Priest anyway.

The Beatles especially.

Currently trying to make a proper metalcore band (along the lines of Converge, Cave In, Shai-Hulud), but god-damn there's nobody around :(.

scaryfried
08-10-2010, 08:07 PM
wow. how did i miss this thread :haha:

tancanada
08-10-2010, 08:44 PM
JxD, you'll probably hate them. If you want to confirm / disprove that, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcoPW53yO3E&feature=av2e

Oh don't start him off with Chelsea Smile, that's just begging for him to hate them.
Listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz1lKw6bj1A

EDIT: SHITTT I need to start reading threads more

asator
08-10-2010, 08:45 PM
The Beatles especially.

Currently trying to make a proper metalcore band (along the lines of Converge, Cave In, Shai-Hulud), but god-damn there's nobody around :(.
I'd imagine it's hard to advertise for a metalcore band without getting TDWP fans showing up :haha:

EDIT:
Oh don't start him off with Chelsea Smile, that's just begging for him to hate them.
Listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz1lKw6bj1A

EDIT: SHITTT I need to start reading threads more
Fair.

nashawa
08-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I'd imagine it's hard to advertise for a metalcore band without getting TDWP fans showing up :haha:
Have I told everyone the story of how I posted an ad on Craigslist to start a Cave-In-esque band, only to have the drummer show up in an Of Mice and Men shirt and want to do nothing but breakdowns?

Yeah, well that happened.

asator
08-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Ouch.

nashawa
08-10-2010, 08:48 PM
It was an awkward exchange. He couldn't wrap his head around 7/8 time.

asator
08-10-2010, 08:52 PM
:haha:

It has to be asked. Did you explain his mistake and have him leave, or did you go through a whole session of playing breakdowns then never call him again? :p:

nashawa
08-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I said "...so, have you actually heard Cave In? Like, ever?"

And he said "oh yeah, one of my favourite bands, but I like AA!, Of Mice and Men and Suicide Silence more."

I highly doubt even to this day that he has ever heard them, but no, I let the session happen. I was just happy to be jamming, so we played some crappy deathcore until he couldn't keep up with me anymore.

asator
08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Fair enough. That must have been a long jam though :haha:

nashawa
08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Only like, half an hour. It was retarded.

technicolour
08-10-2010, 11:15 PM
just a lot of open chords?

nashawa
08-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I basically dropped to drop B and did 5-7-8 pedal riffs for 30 minutes.

asator
08-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Wait hang on, Nash. Was it just you on bass and him on drums, playing breakdowns for half an hour? :haha:

EDIT: From the last statement, I'm guessing you were playing guitar. Feel free to ignore my slow posting..

nashawa
08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
No, I was on bass.

TheIrishPatriot
08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
^ :haha:

A month ago, I started a band, then recently realized it was just going to be breakdowns and imitating At The Gates. Thus left :\.

Highlight: 'Hey! Let's have a breakdown of the breakdown!'

JxD
08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Nash, if I ever happen to live in the same city as you, we should start a band. I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with you either, and it probably wouldn't sound like Cave In, but it could be fun.

nashawa
08-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm not actually spectacular. I can hold my own with the technical bands I've been a member of, and I can struggle through a few Psyopus songs, but this guy just reeeally sucked.

And yes, I'd definitely be down for that. Only way I could see it happening is if I end up going to the Banff School for the Arts for further education, and you mover further West, because most of Alberta is far too redneck-Conservative for my liking.

Floyd93
08-10-2010, 11:45 PM
It's impossible to start a decent band in my town. Everyone wants to be just like Suicide Silence. Ew

MustangMan311
08-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Somehow I found and joined the only remotely good band within a 100 mile radius of me, and they were only on the other side of town. Not really sure how that happened.

tancanada
08-11-2010, 12:14 AM
It's impossible to start a decent band in my town. Everyone wants to be just like Suicide Silence. Ew

That could actually be decent if you had less breakdowns and a halfway okay vocalist.
Everyone in my city sounds like either a really crappy Asking Alexandria impersonation or a really crappy For The Fallen Dreams impersonation.

Thebiz
08-11-2010, 12:30 AM
I was once asked to play guitar for a local band around my area that told me that the way they would get their unique sound would be to "TUNE AS LOW AS POSSIBLE...LIKE DOWN TO DROP A...IT'S GONNA BE SO HEAVY....LIKE REALLY HEAVY!!!! PLEA FOR PURGING TUNES THAT LOW AND WE'RE GONNA GO EVEN LOWER THAN THEM!!"

I had to ignore calls from him for a good month. -_-

JxD
08-11-2010, 12:35 AM
My city has a split scene. There's a deathcore scene that focuses around this one particular venue. The kids are young and have brightly colored shirts. They often walk upon my lawn and I yell at them. There's a crust-punk/power violence/grind scene that focuses around this one guys shows. I don't attend because he allows people to mistreat venues which inevitably will be shut down due this behavior. I cannot support this, although I am sort of friends with the guy and most of the bands that play. Then there's the emo/hardcore scene that is predominantly made up of people 20+ in age who just play all ages shows. There are about 50 people, all friends, and it rules.

nashawa
08-11-2010, 12:37 AM
My city has no scene. I've lived here for a year, and I've gone to 3 shows, none of which were core, and one of which was AFI.

tancanada
08-11-2010, 12:44 AM
I was once asked to play guitar for a local band around my area that told me that the way they would get their unique sound would be to "TUNE AS LOW AS POSSIBLE...LIKE DOWN TO DROP A...IT'S GONNA BE SO HEAVY....LIKE REALLY HEAVY!!!! PLEA FOR PURGING TUNES THAT LOW AND WE'RE GONNA GO EVEN LOWER THAN THEM!!"

I had to ignore calls from him for a good month. -_-

Better than my city. For some reason I'm the laughing stock of the city because I write my bands stuff in Drop D. Still can't figure out why that's so funny

ginger5138
08-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Yeah i know what you mean... This fag at my school is like, "OMG I wrote a song for my band in drop F it is." so terrible...

Magero
08-11-2010, 01:26 AM
There's only so low you can go before playing chords becomes pointless. It's around G#. So that's what I tune to.

UntoExistence
08-11-2010, 01:42 AM
i don't think i'll ever tune lower than B

TheIrishPatriot
08-11-2010, 01:55 AM
There's only so low you can go before playing chords becomes pointless. It's around G#. So that's what I tune to.

When my drummer decided we should do covers to get to know each other's styles or something, I suggested Slice the Cake. I only have a six-string. Thanks a lot :(.

Magero
08-11-2010, 02:14 AM
:haha STC is in Bb. Go nuts.

tancanada
08-11-2010, 02:20 AM

There's a band here that plays in F#, during the intro of their set the first time they ever played they went CHUGGGGGG and kids literally killed each other cause they're so br00t4l. I can't stand kids here -____-

Thebiz
08-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Better than my city. For some reason I'm the laughing stock of the city because I write my bands stuff in Drop D. Still can't figure out why that's so funny

I usually write in that or Drop C#. :shrug:

saxaxe
08-11-2010, 02:35 AM
I write all my electric stuff in Drop C/D standard, unless I'm doing stupidheavy grind stuff, ala weekend nachos. Then I go down to drop A or G. Most acoustic work I do is either in open D Minor, DADGAD or FACGCE.

brad5992
08-11-2010, 03:28 AM
Hey remember those retarded Australian guys that kept posting their bands here a while back?
Yep theyre the "best" bands in my town haha. This one time a hardcore band was playing at one of their shows and the dude who booked the show/venue cut their power mid set. It was so lame.

UntoExistence
08-11-2010, 03:33 AM
why?

Cianyx
08-11-2010, 04:03 AM
The metalcore scene in Melbourne is huge. I've seen lines for some shitty band go for blocks. On the other hand, at the Pisschrist, Extortion and Mindsnare show, we had easily 400-500 people turn up for it

asator
08-11-2010, 09:30 AM
The scene here is..ehh...

There's a lot of run of the mill UKHC, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, there's a few decent pop punk / hardcore crossover bands, and there's a lot of indie as well. It's not bad, by any means.

technicolour
08-11-2010, 10:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGz-yRSiSvQ&feature=related

I don't know which is worse, this local christian "hardcore" band, or how the kids go nuts over them.

asator
08-11-2010, 10:12 AM
The Justin Bieber lookalike in red at the start has some pretty groundbreaking moves...

But yeah, that sucked.

TheBabySnatcher
08-11-2010, 12:19 PM

I don't know which is worse, this local christian "hardcore" band, or how the kids go nuts over them.

The kid in the pink top and flat peak is a ******.

tancanada
08-11-2010, 12:35 PM

What the hell is going on with the drumming from like :40-:50? :haha:

asator
08-11-2010, 12:44 PM
This as well, I had no idea wtf was going on there :haha:

nashawa
08-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Drummer's retarded.

zezimathehero
08-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Then there's the emo/hardcore scene that is predominantly made up of people 20+ in age who just play all ages shows. There are about 50 people, all friends, and it rules.
Bring everyone in this scene to calgary again, we'll have a party.

On a related note, I'm starting a band that sounds like me wishing my last name was kinsella and listening to too much attack in black and mewithoutyou, and will likely be nowhere near acceptable. But its in FACGCE. So it's tr00.

TheIrishPatriot
08-11-2010, 01:44 PM
:haha STC is in Bb. Go nuts.

Next time I feel like downtuning a tritone, I will :p:

Also, my old band put a video up, if people need luls. Disclaimer: I left a few weeks ago, have nothing to do with the creation of this song, and don't know half of these people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWfnwBookzY&feature=youtube_gdata

technicolour
08-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Well I could only make out so much thanks to that overwhelming bass. But yeah...breakdowns..breakdowns everywhere.

Bands need to die

haha, I didn't even notice that..it was like he went to bring out the two steps..but then didn't..?

http://www.myspace.com/faithfuluntodeathmusic

here's their myspace, unfortunately...or fortunately (?) that song isn't on the player.

asator
08-11-2010, 01:53 PM

Also, my old band put a video up, if people need luls. Disclaimer: I left a few weeks ago, have nothing to do with the creation of this song, and don't know half of these people.

One of the single worst things I've ever seen.

TheIrishPatriot
08-11-2010, 01:56 PM
This is why I left. A guy contacted me about jamming with some thrash metal guys though, so I'ma check that out.

Thebiz
08-11-2010, 02:09 PM

They began as Of Mice & Men, but quickly became As I Lay Dying at 1:17. And oh dear god the "gang" vocals at 3:12.

tancanada
08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
You guys wanna see my old band? :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUexYKiU94Y&feature=related

saxaxe
08-11-2010, 02:37 PM
While we're at it, my old band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OASAZqKFt8
The breakdown at 0:33 = br00tal
Also, note my epic shredz at 1:12
And yeah, it was an awful crowd.

asator
08-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Not even going to post any of my old bands, too embarrasing.

zezimathehero
08-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I can't find the one video of my old band but suffice it to say it's not very good at all.

saxaxe
08-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Not even going to post any of my old bands, too embarrasing.
http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/5309/original/doitus4.jpg?1247475150

nashawa
08-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I have you alllll beat.

Acoustic recordings of my grade 10 band:
http://www.myspace.com/thesassypirates

(I'm playing guitar, and these were the first songs I had ever fully written on my own)

zezimathehero
08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Please let me name everything ever the sassy pirates.

nashawa
08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
As you wish. I stole the name anyway.

asator
08-11-2010, 02:53 PM
http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/5309/original/doitus4.jpg?1247475150
:haha:

Was going to post a video of a dismal pop punk band I was in a while back, but I can't find it.

Oh well, you're really not missing much at all.

tancanada
08-11-2010, 03:07 PM
While we're at it, my old band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OASAZqKFt8
The breakdown at 0:33 = br00tal
Also, note my epic shredz at 1:12
And yeah, it was an awful crowd.

I like this breakdown better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3p30ZCZNKo&feature=related
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

saxaxe
08-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I like this breakdown better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3p30ZCZNKo&feature=related
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
:haha definitely not our best song.

JxD
08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Bring everyone in this scene to calgary again, we'll have a party.

On a related note, I'm starting a band that sounds like me wishing my last name was kinsella and listening to too much attack in black and mewithoutyou, and will likely be nowhere near acceptable. But its in FACGCE. So it's tr00.
Hopefully a good show will happen at the end of August. I'm banking on a Todos Caeran/Crippled Children show. Hopefully all the Edmonton punx will turn out for that. Also, if your band gets off the ground, try getting in contact with Vanessa from Brain Fever if you want some shows.

As for first bands, I think this beats everyone:

http://www.mediafire.com/?c340kbmfkoq2kfj

You have to listen through the whole song, and I apologize for this. I can't tell you why we recorded that or what the hell possessed us to produce such a travesty, but there it is. Also, I'm still in that band, it's just been renamed twice.

slorggetti
08-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't have any videos of old bands simply...because I don't have any old bands... But I'm pretty sure there's a video of me and a friend doing a cover of a nevershoutnever song. You guys have nothing to be embarrassed about. :>

TheIrishPatriot
08-11-2010, 07:59 PM
My first band deleted the videos with me in them when I left and they got a new guitar player :\. When I eventually am in a band that makes music I actually enjoy, I'll post it here for evaluation :P.

By the way, is somebody here FreakyDDR or slorgking who commented on the video, by chance? :P

slorggetti
08-11-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm definitely not slorgking c___c

zezimathehero
08-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Hopefully a good show will happen at the end of August. I'm banking on a Todos Caeran/Crippled Children show.

You have to listen through the whole song, and I apologize for this. I can't tell you why we recorded that or what the hell possessed us to produce such a travesty, but there it is. Also, I'm still in that band, it's just been renamed twice.
That would rule, because I have not seen a decent local show in calgary in ages. I just gave up on looking for them. All my friends are too brootal to hit any of the good ones, so i sit in my basement playing guitar and listening to american football.

And your band rules now, so that song doesn't even matter.

InstantAXonHero
08-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I wish I had a new wave emo scene round my town.