Getting Something Signed By David Gilmour

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Something Signed By David Gilmour

emj
08-10-2010, 12:11 PM
So, I wanna do something nice for my boyfriend and I'd like to get him a guitar (one that he's been wanting, either a Les Paul 80's Silverburst or a Relic'd Strat. I know the Strat would be a better fit for this, but he'd rather have the Silverburst, I think.) and have a pickguard signed to him by his favorite guitarist, who is David Gilmour. Has anyone mailed anything to Gilmour to get signed and been successful? I've heard he doesn't like to sign guitar items. Let me know if this is something worth pursuing. Thanks guys!!

emj

crohno
08-10-2010, 12:18 PM
i have no idea, but you gotta be the perfect girlfriend xDDD

Calibos
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
^
This.

Forkman
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Best. Girlfriend. Ever.

emj
08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Well guys, I may be an awesome girlfriend, but he deserves it. He's the best boyfriend ever! :D

stonegolem13
08-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Technically this could go into the Floyd thread...I have no idea how you'd go about such a thing, but good luck anyway

patbuck2
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
I suppose you could just try it and see. Although, to be safe, you might want to mail a letter to him first and see if he responds saying he will do it. I wouldn't want to risk losing a guitar in the mail. Also, I agree that you are a great girlfriend for doing this for your boyfriend.

seemeel
08-12-2010, 09:08 PM
David Gilmour recently hung out with an old dude that he used to be in a band with. Maybe check his house. It's in LA. I don't know where you live, but I'm pretty sure he lives in Cambridge or London these days.

Using the mail is probably your best bet. However, from http://www.davidgilmour.com/faqs.htm

"May I have a signed photo?

* David has signed occasional things for fans, plus the odd guitar for charity auctions, but he is uncomfortable with the concept of autograph collectors, as you can understand when you see the prices charged for stars' autographs, including David's, on eBay. He would really rather not be asked for an autograph, in an ideal world."

BrainDamage
08-16-2010, 11:55 AM
I know Roger Waters has done things like this in the past, but I've never heard of Gilmour doing so. Mailing a letter to ask him before you send a full pickguard out wouldn't hurt.

Andrewbiles
08-19-2010, 09:54 AM
The only thing is, if you get the guitar signed he would be mad to then play it. I'd suggest trying to get an autograph plus the guitar rather than an autograph on the guitar if the guitar is something he really wants.

JHS
08-30-2010, 11:28 PM
The only thing is, if you get the guitar signed he would be mad to then play it. I'd suggest trying to get an autograph plus the guitar rather than an autograph on the guitar if the guitar is something he really wants.

This.

(Also, you are a very, very good girlfriend indeed. Good luck. I would kill a small, totally imaginary animal, for a DG autograph, but don't have the slightest actual expectation that will ever happen (barring just buying one from someone, which is sort of silly)).

BTW, you aren't thinking of getting him a Gilmour relic strat, are you?
Because if you can afford the Fender Custom Shop one, you can probably afford to fly him to David's next gig! :D

crazydiamond5
09-06-2010, 11:25 PM
just the fact you are buying your bf a guitar is sexy, but getting it signed by gilmour is gonna be really really tough, it would be long after your bfs bday if you even do manage to get it signed. I think the guitar would be enough, along with a kiss..on the penis.