Queen

PDA

View Full Version : Queen

Kyle Gass
08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Well here at UG, Classic Rock doesnt seem to be that hip. But as I get older, my taste in music seems to get older aswell. Who can honestly say they dont like Queen? I mean even a little bit. I literally have a dance routine to FLASH, that makes the special olympics look epic! But on a serious note. I can name off DOZENS of songs, Multiple Tours, that simply rocked my effing socks. Queen is the literally the top band I wish I couldve seen in concert. I even hold them above zeppelin... Yeah I said it. (and I love zeppelin).

So UG... Your thoughts on the Almighty Mercury?

*Edit* You all dissapoint me. How can nobody here enjoy THE Rock Opera band?

*fades away to "Somebody To Love"*

Jimbo2010
08-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Queen

Jazz Funeral
08-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Queen aggravates me. I don't like their sound at all. With the small exception of an instrumental that I heard once (and even then heard some of the elements of their sound that bother me), I can honestly say that I don't like Queen. They are an aggravation to me. There are countless unpleasant things that I would rather endure than another bout of "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions". They are one of the bigger reasons for me hating being stuck in a spot where I have no choice but to hear the radio.

:shrug: You asked, I couldn't resist.

Just so it's clear, I'm aware that I'm a music snob and I'm totally cool with that. :peace:

JackWhiteIsButts
08-23-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't like Queen. That Freddie Mercury fellow had a hell of a voice, but I don't much care for his tone and the music he played doesn't appeal to me. That Brian may fellow is alright.

Tempoe
08-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I saw them in about 80 I think. They were really good live, I love Brian's guitar work.

Kyle Gass
08-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Queen aggravates me. I don't like their sound at all. With the small exception of an instrumental that I heard once (and even then heard some of the elements of their sound that bother me), I can honestly say that I don't like Queen. They are an aggravation to me. :

Queen: They are an aggravation to him.

:cheers:

^^^ You saw queen live? I would give up every concert I've been to (with the exception of my NIN's concerts) to see them live once.

:five:

Jazz Funeral
08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
^:haha:

I saw that, but I figured it was appropriate enough to be said twice, so I left it.

Also, I was trying to bite my tongue. I could feel a text wall rant working it's way up and out of me. It would have included bitchings about Journey, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Foreigner, etc... I'm assuming the word "aggravation" was whipping around my subconscious as I was working to be decent about it. :haha:

Tarsplitter
08-24-2010, 01:11 PM
^:haha:

I saw that, but I figured it was appropriate enough to be said twice, so I left it.

Also, I was trying to bite my tongue. I could feel a text wall rant working it's way up and out of me. It would have included bitchings about Journey, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Foreigner, etc... I'm assuming the word "aggravation" was whipping around my subconscious as I was working to be decent about it. :haha:
So you hate (proggy) arena rock.

I really love Brian May's style of playing the guitar. It sounds so raw yet so professional.
Yeah. They're pretty awesome.

Kyle Gass
08-25-2010, 07:01 AM
^ Brian May is fantastic... no debating that, and alot of the songs he wrote were pretty amazing as well.

and How can you rant about Journey and Foreigner? I mean, yeah you can rant about STYX, I like them for the comedic Mr. Robot... But thats about it. But Foreigner? C'mon

Juke Box Hero is made of WIN....

filtersweep
08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Queen is great--- but The Who is a band that I never appreciated much back in their day.... that I do now (not to threadjack).

Jazz Funeral
08-25-2010, 10:32 AM
and How can you rant about Journey and Foreigner? I mean, yeah you can rant about STYX, I like them for the comedic Mr. Robot... But thats about it. But Foreigner? C'mon

Juke Box Hero is made of WIN....
Sorry buddy, but I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. On those occasions when I'm forced to listen to the radio (work) I make up stupid lyrics to sing along, if I can laugh at the songs, it take the edge off of the irritation. So, for "Jukebox Hero", I sing things about a Poopbox Gyro. (Imagine a cat's litterbox and a piece of pita bread). I really think that song is lame and hokey. I have lyrics for a lot of songs by those bands that range from silly to vulgar and flat out offensive. I'd wager that I could score a warning if I typed all of them.

I feel obligated right now to point out that I'm not arguing or flaming. I've answered some questions in a respectful manner. To each their own. :cheers:

jimisatchsrv
08-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Queen is fantastic. I loved them as a youngster and didn't know why, like alot of things at that age. Now I realize they had so many tremendous attributes in the band, that it's easy to focus on Brian Mays guitar tone or just about everything Freddie every uttered, but their song-writing as a whole was PHENOMENAL. Things like "My Best Friend", of course we've heard it ten thousand times and it can be a bit silly, but what a melody and what a composition!

Kyle Gass
08-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Sorry buddy, but I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. On those occasions when I'm forced to listen to the radio (work) I make up stupid lyrics to sing along, if I can laugh at the songs, it take the edge off of the irritation. So, for "Jukebox Hero", I sing things about a Poopbox Gyro. (Imagine a cat's litterbox and a piece of pita bread). I really think that song is lame and hokey. I have lyrics for a lot of songs by those bands that range from silly to vulgar and flat out offensive. I'd wager that I could score a warning if I typed all of them.

I feel obligated right now to point out that I'm not arguing or flaming. I've answered some questions in a respectful manner. To each their own. :cheers:

Oh no by all means, all opinions are welcomed. Everyone has their taste.

Even though one must question how one imagines a litterbox with pita bread combo... But hey, what ever tickles your jimmys.

Jazz Funeral
08-26-2010, 11:12 AM
^It rhymed man. :shrug:

I think the word "gyro" came first, and I remember mulling over things that rhymed with "jukebox". As I'm sure you know, there aren't too many options when seeking a word that rhymes with "jukebox". As it is, "poopbox"isn't a proper word but it suited the ridiculousness that I was looking for.

There's also REO Speedwagon's "Take it on the Run", to which I sing:

"You take it in the buns, baby
Especially with the runs, baby
And now my d!ck is all poopy brown"

My only goal is to be consistent with the original syllabic rhythms, and to rhyme with the original lyrics to the best of my ability. I'll get some good WTF looks from people, but it's all for the sake of entertainment. Who doesn't like to laugh at the absurd?

avanish11
08-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Queen is fantastic. Freddie Mercury's voice is phenomenal and Brian May is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. He went from rock star to astrophysicist? That man is a genius.

Kyle Gass
08-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Rock star To astrophysicist = WIN.....

P.S. Kiss Panda Bear Avatar is f*cking AWESOME.

bladedguitar66
08-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Queen is an amazing band, Freddie left us too soon. Brian May is one of my favorite guitarists, and definitely one of the most talents musicians out there.

Queen is fantastic. Freddie Mercury's voice is phenomenal and Brian May is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. He went from rock star to astrophysicist? That man is a genius.

I agree with that. Also, JY (James Young, amazing guitarist from equally amazing band Styx) has a degree as a Bio-medical Astrophysicist. They're both geniuses.

RaiLeff
08-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Great thread!!
Man I was born during the 90s, so my dad's music got me to Queen
I cant imagine how it was during that time... that kind of music??
Awesome!! Mercury's ability to change chord structure and stuff is great
and his voice range is even better... but Queen all together is a great band
I love so many songs!! Love of my life, bohemian, killer queen, you're my best friend,
I want to break free and many more
i've been stuck listening to queen on my Ipod for many hours
and I also wish I could have met them...
kudos

Kyle Gass
09-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Queen seems to pop up on my ipod often as well.... as they should.

:cheers:

Minkaro
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I love Queen. Even the Queen that Queen don't like (Gimme the Prize deserves better treatment :sad: )

In my humble opinion, Freddie Mercury is the greatest frontman to have walked the planet. An incredible vocal range both live and in the studio, and a wonderful charisma. Of course, having the backing vocals of Roger Taylor and Brian May couldn't have hurt.

Favourite songs: Show Must Go On, Gimme the Prize, '39, Bohemian Rhapsody, and It's a Hard Life

avanish11
09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Rock star To astrophysicist = WIN.....

P.S. Kiss Panda Bear Avatar is f*cking AWESOME.

Thanks, I wanted to use this picture as my avatar, but when shrunk it became too tiny to properly recognize.

http://www.owensworld.com/funnyimages/files/kiss_big.jpg

promotional
09-02-2010, 02:10 AM
Band and song both are excellent. I loved it.

Kyle Gass
09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
^@ Avanish, lol, thats AWESOME,

Went scuba diving earlier this morning, buddy of mine has an underwater MP3 player (dont ask me why).... Totally rocking out to queen during our dive, lol.

randyaintdead82
09-24-2010, 02:36 PM
I miss Queen :(

truls96
02-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I love queen, its the best band ever. Im new at the site and looking for friends who wants to talk about queen and similar bands.

ThunderRoad_
02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Queen are my idols. They're the reason why I want to be a musician.

Crazed Shredder
02-16-2011, 08:34 PM
^^^That avatar is awesome, and I don't even like Kiss.

Queen are a classic band. I mainly enjoy the singing. The only thing I don't like is all the novelty songs.

WaltTheWerewolf
02-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Queen....

one of my Favorite Bands...and i'm picky as HELL!!!

Play the Game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATcKY5C4Zto

and a song that is often considered Freddie's last "i love you" and Farewell on video
and you can pretty much tell his isnt far from death, but he did his best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1F_wiUuez0