For Today

PDA

View Full Version : For Today

BrianG47
08-19-2010, 12:30 AM
For Today, a christian metalcore band from Sioux City, Iowa.

Signed to Facedown Records.
Their newest album "Breaker" comes out on August 31, 2010.
Recent album "Portraits" was released in 2009.
and their first album "Ekklesia" was released in 2008.

ginger5138
08-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Pretty sure there is already a thread on them... search bro.

nashawa
08-19-2010, 12:32 AM
We built Sioux City on ROCK AND ROLL!

Also, search next time.

BrianG47
08-19-2010, 12:35 AM
searched "for today" looked through the first 10 pages. didn't see anything.. :shrug:

nashawa
08-19-2010, 12:37 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4717775

Bullshit.

technicolour
08-19-2010, 12:51 AM
there's already thread. This band and every other christian metalcore band make me want to vomit in disgust.

tancanada
08-19-2010, 01:55 AM
^What's wrong with you man? Just cause a band believes in something doesn't mean the music is shit.
Also, ZAO.

nashawa
08-19-2010, 01:56 AM
No, but the music IS shit, completely independent of their religious beliefs.

tancanada
08-19-2010, 02:00 AM
Yeah, but he specifically singled out Christian metalcore. That's what bothered me

nashawa
08-19-2010, 02:03 AM
He has a point though. Christian metalcore has a tendency to be sub par at best. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with their religious affiliation, but with the exception of a few outliers, they're usually pretty bad.

tancanada
08-19-2010, 02:28 AM
I raise you new TDWP, old Underoath and MATSOD

nashawa
08-19-2010, 02:33 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. The answer we were looking for was ABR.

tancanada
08-19-2010, 02:33 AM
Them too.
EDIT: And Norma Jean, Living Sacrifice and ZAO while we're here.

nashawa
08-19-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm actually not a fan of the other 3 you listed, but even with them excluded, there are hoards of unlistenably bad Christercore bands out there.

TheThirdCut
08-19-2010, 02:52 AM
Oh, Sleeper falls under this category, no? I like them. :shrug:
Bad Christian metalcore tends to stand out more, probably because it isn't well-liked to begin with. :haha:

nashawa
08-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Oh, Sleeper was one of the awful bands I was talking about.

Bignose
08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Them too.

Save first album I have a habit of calling them SNOREma jean.

or botch.

(had to be said)

To a degree though there are some semi decent christian metalcore bands out there... I don't listen to any these days though.

nashawa
08-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Them too.
Yeah, you're not helping your point haha.

tancanada
08-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I mean c'mon dude, Norma Jean's at least worth something.
Plus Oh, Sleeper has BTBAM's old guitarist, that should be enough for worship around these parts

nashawa
08-19-2010, 11:15 AM
You're talking to a huge Botch fan/occasional BTBAM listener. Besides, I bet most of the BTBAM fanboys on here agree with me.

But my point is about how 90% of christercore is generic swill, not about whether or not the bands are good/great. A lot of the bands you mentioned are cookie-cutter outfits.

technicolour
08-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Also, ZAO.

Ok one band - musically. The lyrics and the ideals are bullshit - and before you say "you just don't like it because you just don't agree with it" - I would be thrilled if any of these bands got up on stage and preached Keirkegaaurd or Kantian metaphysics and talked about God like that - but no, they always just quote the bible.

I've had discussions with people in local christian metalcore bands (it's a big thing in my town right now) and I was not impressed. We were having a civil conversation about authors/philosohpers/theologians who have influenced us and the guitarist from "faithful unto death" told me to check out some guy (forget the name now). I did a quick wiki search on him - said he believed evolution contradicts the second law of thermodynamics, and that man's cred, along with any argument that kid had just went out the window.

..I think I already told that story somewhere on here :p:

tancanada
08-19-2010, 11:35 AM
True.
I wasn't really arguing for it, just wanted to see your stance on it and it makes sense. :p:

MustangMan311
08-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Oh, Sleeper sucks. Shane Blay's a douche anyway. He got kicked out of BTBAM because no one likes him and he thinks Oh, Sleeper matters. Which they don't.

Norma Jean's first album rules. Everything else sucks.

Also, Maylene shouldn't be considered Christian. They just jump on the bandwagon for tours and shit; I don't want Christianity infecting my fun Southern jams.

tancanada
08-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Eh, Vices Like Vipers is decent. :shrug:

Rufiothebandito
08-19-2010, 12:50 PM
The new songs on their myspace are boding really well for the new album, as much as they can be grating lyrically I think it brings up some cool imagery at times. Really psyched for this now, Devastator would make a killer top spot on a setlist.

InstantAXonHero
08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
God sucks, wanna fight about it?

TheThirdCut
08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Eh, Vices Like Vipers is decent. :shrug:
Haha, that song and a handful of others are all I listen to. They have talent for sure, they just don't use it as best as they could.

BrianG47
08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
The new songs on their myspace are boding really well for the new album, as much as they can be grating lyrically I think it brings up some cool imagery at times. Really psyched for this now, Devastator would make a killer top spot on a setlist.

i must agree with you.

BrianG47
08-19-2010, 02:00 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4717775

Bullshit.

that link lead me to a page that said "sorry no matches."

nashawa
08-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Huh, well would you look at that...
It was working yesterday.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310650&highlight=For+Today
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297864&highlight=For+Today
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109741&highlight=For+Today

etc

BrianG47
08-19-2010, 02:15 PM
lol why isnt this shit locked yet?

GodofCheesecake
08-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Because nobody reported it? Stop bumping it if you just think it's going to be locked anyway.

JxD
08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
I see the hardcore forum has had it's bi-monthly new For Today thread created. Why is it that 90% of the fans of this band don't know how to use the search function then complain when they're called out on it? I don't get this bands hype, they sound extremely generic to me.

Anyways, as for Christian nu-metalcore, I think calling them worship bands is more appropriate. A lot of people are Christian and play in hardcore bands, but either they can work their beliefs into coherent lyrics, or they don't make it a big thing. Worship bands play for Christ and churn out the same drivel over and over. I think the distinction should be made more often.

nashawa
08-19-2010, 07:24 PM
This thread is now about Start Today.

Let's start today-ee.

UntoExistence
08-19-2010, 08:31 PM
does anyone else remember what happened to the last for today thread?

nashawa
08-19-2010, 08:34 PM
does anyone else remember what happened to the last for today thread?
It seems that this killed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngjT9gY70Q
I LOVE JESUS

UntoExistence
08-19-2010, 08:36 PM
:haha::haha::haha:
also if christcore was half as good as Extol i'd be all over its nuts

MAX-182
08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
good band.

JxD
08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I distinctly remember Pink hijacking a For Today thread in favor of Youth of Today, another was made into a Pokemon discussion thread (like most of our threads), often they become Christian-bashing threads, etc. I usually go out of my way to derail these things.

technicolour
08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/christian_metal/

some of the article is bullshit, but some of it makes some good points.

If they really believe this religion, then metal - as a movement with overwhelming occultist, nihilistic, fascistic overtones - is something they should avoid. Why would they choose to join a genre which contradicts what they believe?

Is there no greater "trend" than the 2,000 years in which Judeo-Christian religions have been gaining prominence in the west? What is "un-trendy" about following the same religion that at least 80% of the people in your country follow?

Why should metal desire "a lot more of the youth" to be interested in it, if conformity is not our goal? Metal is like many genres self-selecting, and does not aim to be broad. By your logic, we should start making music like Britney Spears (except with a Christian message!) in order to get a wider audience.

How can one "truly feel" something which one has to be taught in order to regard it as true? A man raised alone in the forest may invent a religion, but perhaps not the whole dogma of Christ.

Kyle<3
08-19-2010, 11:39 PM
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/christian_metal/

some of the article is bullshit, but some of it makes some good points.

If they really believe this religion, then metal - as a movement with overwhelming occultist, nihilistic, fascistic overtones - is something they should avoid. Why would they choose to join a genre which contradicts what they believe?

Is there no greater "trend" than the 2,000 years in which Judeo-Christian religions have been gaining prominence in the west? What is "un-trendy" about following the same religion that at least 80% of the people in your country follow?

Why should metal desire "a lot more of the youth" to be interested in it, if conformity is not our goal? Metal is like many genres self-selecting, and does not aim to be broad. By your logic, we should start making music like Britney Spears (except with a Christian message!) in order to get a wider audience.

How can one "truly feel" something which one has to be taught in order to regard it as true? A man raised alone in the forest may invent a religion, but perhaps not the whole dogma of Christ.

I don't think that in order to listen to "metal" you have to be someone with a "occultist, nihilistic, fascistic" mindset. Some people just like the sound, and apparently a good lot of Christian youth do too.

When it comes to heavily distorted guitars, fast drum beats, and screamed vocals (for example...) it's just a style of music that doesn't involve sex, drugs, or anything of the matter unless you want it to (via. vocals), and Britney Spears... I suppose it has a sexual tone to it? :confused:

Its also part of the culture today, and there's nothing wrong with being part of the culture, mostly in this case because I suppose nothing in the Bible says anything against drop tuned riffs...

Although when the church tries to be "cool" it just gets lame...

annnd you know 80% isn't the right number... not at least for our generation. If that was true than 80% of your friends would be at youth group or church every week, and I doubt that happens.

Just some of my thoughts. ;)

nashawa
08-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Actually, 80% of Americans believe in God, and a further 10% are Agnostic.
That leaves only 10% who are correct.

UntoExistence
08-19-2010, 11:54 PM
i'm pretty sure earth is just a small scale experiment created by much larger and more intelligent beings.

nashawa
08-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Shit... you're on to me.

UntoExistence
08-20-2010, 12:06 AM
for me it comes down to whether or not our existence is purely coincidental, which idk if it is or not.

nashawa
08-20-2010, 12:08 AM
No one does, but until it is proven to me that it isn't fact, I'll believe in the theory of evolution.

technicolour
08-20-2010, 12:10 AM
I don't think that in order to listen to "metal" you have to be someone with a "occultist, nihilistic, fascistic" mindset. Some people just like the sound, and apparently a good lot of Christian youth do too.

When it comes to heavily distorted guitars, fast drum beats, and screamed vocals (for example...) it's just a style of music that doesn't involve sex, drugs, or anything of the matter unless you want it to (via. vocals), and Britney Spears... I suppose it has a sexual tone to it? :confused:

Its also part of the culture today, and there's nothing wrong with being part of the culture, mostly in this case because I suppose nothing in the Bible says anything against drop tuned riffs...

Although when the church tries to be "cool" it just gets lame...

annnd you know 80% isn't the right number... not at least for our generation. If that was true than 80% of your friends would be at youth group or church every week, and I doubt that happens.

Just some of my thoughts. ;)

No, but if you come into any "extreme" genre of music looking to spread the word of christ, chances are, you aren't interested in the music (or rather - any ideologies that come with that music) - you're just looking for a way to connect with today's youth and spread the word.

There's a shitload of things in the bible that would disagree with what hardcore has stood for since it's inception - for example: the exceptence of homosexuals, and the abolishment of the institution of church itself.

Ps - evolution is not chance or coincidence. Only a small fraction of it relies on chance (genetic mutation) - the more important factor is natural selection, which is most definitely not left up to chance. As for how life came into existence - it was bound to happen sooner or later - it only took 14 billion years.

UntoExistence
08-20-2010, 12:12 AM
No one does, but until it is proven to me that it isn't fact, I'll believe in the theory of evolution.
exactly

fuzzymonkey
08-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Some times you gotta wonder if anything with the word Christian in it is a monetary ploy. Some people probably only let their kids listen to stuff with crosses on the cover.

nashawa
08-20-2010, 12:16 AM
And just like any logical person, if there WAS irrefutable proof against what I believed, I'd be more than willing to change my viewpoint.

technicolour
08-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Some times you gotta wonder if anything with the word Christian in it is a monetary ploy. Some people probably only let their kids listen to stuff with crosses on the cover.

what if the crosses are inverted?

also, you can't disprove God, the judo/christian God is just irrational and illogical. The more "natural" God of spinoza or Kant seems more plausible.

UntoExistence
08-20-2010, 12:22 AM
i don't understand how people can deny that evolution occurred

ginger5138
08-20-2010, 12:24 AM
I personally believe in God, but I don't let my beliefs create conflicts with other people, nor do I let it change my musical interests. I just do me.

And also just to put this out there while I believe in God I also believe in evolution.

nashawa
08-20-2010, 12:28 AM
i don't understand how people can deny that evolution occurred
Those people are so heavily entombed in their own ignorance it's not even funny.

technicolour
08-20-2010, 12:31 AM
And also just to put this out there while I believe in God I also believe in evolution.

Some of the most thorough and challenging attacks to creationism have been written by christians.

ginger5138
08-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Yeah I know, I just wanted to put that out there before someone raped me with, "DUDE HOW CAN YOU NOT BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION AREZ YOU ST00PID!?"

InstantAXonHero
08-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Lost in a sea of combat boots, flush the bouncers with wasted youth
When did punk rock become so safe, when did the scene become a joke
The kids who used to live for beer and speed now want their fries and coke
Cursing and flipping birds are not allowed, in fact lets keep noise levels down

Must separate the church and skate

When dont we put pad on the kids,helmets,head gear and mouth pieces
They we could pad the floor and walls,put cameras inside bathroom stalls
We make sure only nice bands play,and we could sing my country tis of thee sweet land of liberty

When did punk rock become so safe
I know it wasnt duane or fletcher, who put up the barricades
Like a skate in the heart, somehow we got driven apart

I want conflict I want dissent, I want the scene to represent
Our hatred of authority, our fight against complacency
Stop singing songs about girls and love, you killed the owl you freed the dove
Confrontation and politics replaced with harmonies and shticks
When did punk rock become so tame, these ****ing bands all sound the same
We want our fights we want our thugs, we want our burns we want our drugs
Where is the violent apathy, these ****ing records are rated g

asator
08-20-2010, 09:18 AM
^ Yes. Thread needs more NOFX.

Actually, 80% of Americans believe in God, and a further 10% are Agnostic.
That leaves only 10% who are correct.
:haha: Might sig...

nashawa
08-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Reminds me of the Russia level in THUG.

asator
08-20-2010, 09:28 AM
:heart: That game / level. Even the stupid secret agent-y bit a the end.

SeveredSurvival
08-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I enjoy their new record.

Floyd93
08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Reminds me of the Russia level in THUG.

Good times, good times. There wasn't a bad level in that game. Amazing soundtrack too. It introduced me to a lot of great bands, bands that are much better than For Today.

SeveredSurvival
08-27-2010, 12:15 AM
you trolls.

nashawa
08-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Sorry, band is lamz0rz

SeveredSurvival
08-27-2010, 01:34 AM
meh, I like them.

i really like anything though, except most synthcore. fuck synthcore.

UntoExistence
08-27-2010, 01:50 AM
same here basically. there's only a couple things that i really can't stand.

MustangMan311
08-27-2010, 10:11 AM
New song with Drew from Stray From the Path rules, so do a couple of others. Overall, still pretty boring.

Okeefe Is Legit
08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I feel as though they've regressed this album. Although it's still good, there's hardly any interesting leads on this album and the only substance is the constant chugging.

BrianG47
08-28-2010, 03:19 PM
meh, I like them.

i really like anything though, except most synthcore. fuck synthcore.

dude **** synthcore, and nintendocore. ever heard nintendocore? terrible.

BrianG47
08-28-2010, 03:20 PM
I just went to their cd release show last night for Breaker. they did an amazing job, and i think Breaker is amazing.

nashawa
08-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Humour me: what's nintendocore? Because if you say HORSE the Band, but you like this swill, I'll know your musical tastes are suspect.

asator
08-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Humour me: what's nintendocore? Because if you say HORSE the Band, but you like this swill, I'll know your musical tastes are suspect.
Htb suck powerfully. For Today have a couple of decent tracks. I guess my tastes are suspect then :p:

nashawa
08-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah, they are, but your tastes have always been suspect.

tancanada
08-28-2010, 08:45 PM
dude **** synthcore, and nintendocore. ever heard nintendocore? terrible.

I've heard of both and I enjoy both.
I dislike For Today though

asator
08-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah, they are, but your tastes have always been suspect.
:(

lookpizza
08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Htb suck powerfully. For Today have a couple of decent tracks. I guess my tastes are suspect then :p:

Horse the Band are awesome.. you're losing cool points by the second.

asator
08-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Horse the Band are awesome.. you're losing cool points by the second.
I don't see the appeal. They have their moments and they're a good laugh on stage, but I get pretty much nothing out of their music.

lookpizza
08-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Horse was the bee's knees in 2005... since then I've kinda stopped caring, but The Mechanical Hand is classic.

MustangMan311
08-28-2010, 10:25 PM
A Natural Death is AWESOME.

technicolour
08-28-2010, 10:35 PM
bird-........................OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okeefe Is Legit
08-29-2010, 12:48 AM
:(

I figured by now people would learn not to take Nash's input seriously...

By the way, the only enjoyment I've gotten out of HtB is Cutsman. They're amazing live though I will say that and they put out the best video updates.

nashawa
08-29-2010, 01:23 AM
I figured by now people would learn not to take Nash's input seriously...

1) I was obviously kidding.
2) Unless all that was meant by that was #1, let's not start with the sniping. A lot of the stuff I say is actually truthful/pertinent to discussion.

ginger5138
08-29-2010, 01:28 AM
You seem mad?

nashawa
08-29-2010, 01:29 AM
I always seem mad though.

It's part of my persona.

Okeefe Is Legit
08-29-2010, 11:04 AM
So it seems that when I get drunk and get on the computer I end up targeting nash :haha

SeveredSurvival
08-29-2010, 12:06 PM
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3168/umad1g.jpg

asator
08-29-2010, 12:09 PM
:haha:

To clarify, I knew he was kidding, as was I. But Nash, you do seem pissed off about something or other in just about every post :p:

SeveredSurvival
08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Nash has a good taste in music, he is allowed to be mad. I was mad yesterday.

technicolour
08-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I was mad once

SeveredSurvival
08-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm really tempted to make a BMTH lyric right now.....

I've been mad once, I've been mad twice.
IVE BEEN MAD A THOUSAND FUCKING TIMES.

it never ends...

nashawa
08-29-2010, 01:01 PM
:haha

Yeah, I'm pretty much always mad though.

SeveredSurvival
08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm mad all the time too actually. Now that I think about it, I don't know why. I don't have a short fuse and it takes a long time to really get me mad but when I do people usually get surprised. It rules.

nashawa
08-29-2010, 01:16 PM
It's funny, because as angry as I can seem to be, I'm almost always in a good mood.

SeveredSurvival
08-29-2010, 01:19 PM
:eek:

SAME HERE! I'm so friendly towards my friends, and I always like hug them and shit. But I don't know, lots of things make me mad.

asator
08-29-2010, 01:30 PM
So what, you guys like....vent on UG? :haha:

nashawa
08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
I vent everywhere. The way I act on UG is basically how I act in the real world.

technicolour
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't get mad, I get converge.

SeveredSurvival
08-29-2010, 01:46 PM
If people have a shitty taste in music, I call them out for it. No care.

My band played a show yesterday and all these scene kids showed up and literally like 15 people stayed for us and some people even left the venue and I didn't understand it. We were not even close to playing generic music and probably the only band without breakdowns, and people dipped on us and we played a fairly good set, but with keeping in mind that a lot of the bands didn't even show up when we started and where we played was kind of the middle of nowhere.

Two buddies came later on afterwards and one of them was like, Lets play a game, count the number of A day to remember and kingdoms shirts here.

I laughed so hard, and then at around 10 o clock I raged to another batch of friends that were there, one of them my guitarist, how people love generic bands and hate bands that are doing something different, while making fun of A day to remember.

nashawa
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't get mad, I get converge.
So... mad?

Okeefe Is Legit
08-29-2010, 02:09 PM
If people have a shitty taste in music, I call them out for it. No care.

My band played a show yesterday and all these scene kids showed up and literally like 15 people stayed for us and some people even left the venue and I didn't understand it. We were not even close to playing generic music and probably the only band without breakdowns, and people dipped on us and we played a fairly good set, but with keeping in mind that a lot of the bands didn't even show up when we started and where we played was kind of the middle of nowhere.

Two buddies came later on afterwards and one of them was like, Lets play a game, count the number of A day to remember and kingdoms shirts here.

I laughed so hard, and then at around 10 o clock I raged to another batch of friends that were there, one of them my guitarist, how people love generic bands and hate bands that are doing something different, while making fun of A day to remember.

...are you sure you're not doing something wrong if half the venue empties out when you play? The only times I've ever seen that happen is when the band either doesn't have their shit together or just straight up plays bad music. I've never heard your band so I really don't know what your situation was all about, but it's kind of hard to do that.

And when I see people rant about how bad some music is here, it makes sense since this is a music forum. I really can't take people seriously in real life that do it though.

lookpizza
08-29-2010, 02:18 PM
...are you sure you're not doing something wrong if half the venue empties out when you play? The only times I've ever seen that happen is when the band either doesn't have their shit together or just straight up plays bad music. I've never heard your band so I really don't know what your situation was all about, but it's kind of hard to do that.

Nah dawg, usually at shows like that people just go to see a friends band and don't really give a shit about other bands. I used to go to shows and wait outside til a buddies band was playing and then leave when they were done, but to be fair that's cause I had lots of friends in either crappy metalcore bands and i didn't really care to stay to watch crappy metalcore bands that weren't my friends.

technicolour
08-29-2010, 03:07 PM
yeah, when I was younger I knew a lot of people who would go to shows just for like a social gathering. They'd pay $5 and then stand outside the venue the majority of the show.

MustangMan311
08-29-2010, 03:09 PM
yeah, when I was younger I knew a lot of people who would go to shows just for like a social gathering. They'd pay $5 and then stand outside the venue the majority of the show.
This.

A lot of 15 year olds have to go outside to show that they smoke Marlboros and don't tend to come back inside if they don't hear that the next band has awesome breakdowns.

Okeefe Is Legit
08-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Ehh I guess the music scene I was a part of was close-knit so people were respectful towards all the bands regardless of how bad they were.

SeveredSurvival
08-29-2010, 10:18 PM

And when I see people rant about how bad some music is here, it makes sense since this is a music forum. I really can't take people seriously in real life that do it though.

Dude no, everyone that watched came back on and said they loved us later. And a lot of people gave me props for my vocals.There were certain people that came here thinking it's a party or some form of social gathering, so that's why I think from the people that were there left for our set. There was this pop punk who did not watch any of the other bands with the exception of one or two, just because they were friends. When we played first thing they started doing is drinking beers and ignoring us. I think it was because it was just not our scene, it was a bunch of metalcore, "post hardcore" bands, and breakdown mosh bands. We were actually the only metal band on it, and I guess when you can hear us play only then can you judge our music, but the people that have heard us play have even asked us to come and do guest vocals on some of their songs, and guitar solos. To be fair though, a lot of the bands didn't show up until a later time and I don't know why. But from most of the people there about 75 percent of the crowd watched us, rest were outside.

Okeefe Is Legit
08-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Oh well you made it sound like the whole entire venue emptied out. That always happens unless venues prohibit re entry. Some people just want to break from listening to music or being cramped in a small space and if they're not into a genre a band's playing they'll take a breather outside. By the way, does your band have a myspace/purevolume/etc...?

SeveredSurvival
08-29-2010, 10:48 PM
We do but with a very shitty recording that was recorded at a battle of the bands tryout with our older drummer and honestly it wasn't that good, we're gonna re-record a somewhat better quality version when our bassist comes back.
If you want to stay up to date though, www.myspace.com/denouncedottawa

And we were the first band that started playing and it was 6, so maybe that was a huge part of why so many people weren't there.

tancanada
08-29-2010, 11:21 PM

This is what I do ;)

technicolour
08-30-2010, 12:52 AM
This is what I do ;)

why? unless you really want to see one band, and don't like any of the other ones..

tancanada
08-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Well when you've seen every band 3 or 4 times and 1 band that you havent seen, that's what ends up happening

InstantAXonHero
08-30-2010, 09:38 AM
This is what God does to people. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish)

asator
08-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I want to be like Albert Fish when I grow up. :)

nashawa
08-30-2010, 11:50 AM
(Children's his favourite dish)

lookpizza
08-30-2010, 02:26 PM
(Children's his favourite dish)
:liplick:

thesceneislame
08-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Ehh I guess the music scene I was a part of was close-knit so people were respectful towards all the bands regardless of how bad they were.i hope youre not talking about jacksonville. because so many people wait outside and leave during band's sets

SeveredSurvival
08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Let's say a band like Between The Buried and me Came and they were touring with Emmure here. Most people would leave for BTBAM, most of the crowd would stay for Emmure. It doesn't make sense because Emmure are awful.

Okeefe Is Legit
08-30-2010, 07:54 PM
i hope youre not talking about jacksonville. because so many people wait outside and leave during band's sets

No way Jacksonville's scene is composed of total douchebags/tools. I'm talking about the tiny scene in Oregon. By the way did you end up going to The Wonder Years show a while back?

technicolour
08-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Let's say a band like Between The Buried and me Came and they were touring with Emmure here. Most people would leave for BTBAM, most of the crowd would stay for Emmure. It doesn't make sense because Emmure are awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddT8xBhBXys&feature=related

SeveredSurvival
08-31-2010, 12:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddT8xBhBXys&feature=related

:haha :haha

MustangMan311
08-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Back to For Today- Apparently Jay Pepito sang on this album. I want to hear this.

MAX-182
08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
i wont leave when a band is playing unless i cant stand them. haha i love how for today threads get so big.

lookpizza
08-31-2010, 07:14 PM
i wont leave when a band is playing unless i cant stand them. haha i love how for today threads get so big.

Except no one is talking about the band haha.

tancanada
08-31-2010, 07:36 PM
No one ever talks about the thread topic in this forum :p:

thesceneislame
08-31-2010, 08:15 PM
No way Jacksonville's scene is composed of total douchebags/tools. I'm talking about the tiny scene in Oregon. By the way did you end up going to The Wonder Years show a while back?
yezzir.

lookpizza
08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
No one ever talks about the thread topic in this forum :p:

Eh it's more likely to happen when the band doesn't ****ing suck though ;)

Okeefe Is Legit
09-02-2010, 12:29 AM
yezzir.

Damn I totally forgot about that the night of and then I realized one of my kind was in the same venue the next day :p:

SeveredSurvival
09-02-2010, 12:51 AM
^ I added you on last fm! Just saying/

thesceneislame
09-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Damn I totally forgot about that the night of and then I realized one of my kind was in the same venue the next day :p:
yah that was a good show

larrytheguitar
09-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Those who find their Christianity to be overpowering and "too much" have never been forced into a Christian environment. I go to a Christian school and everyday it's the same bullshit. So I'm kind of immune to stuff like this, I've been listening to preaching for all my life.

That said, I like For Today. Why? Because the aren't full of breakdowns and open strings, they have some very cool licks. The lyrics are badass whether or not it's about the Bible. And of course the vocalist has some of the most manliest mids I've ever heard. I got Breaker and loved it as well. How can you not like the epic buildup of Devastator?

technicolour
09-05-2010, 01:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2cPn6AKXk8&feature=related

larrytheguitar
09-05-2010, 03:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2cPn6AKXk8&feature=related

Reported

Okeefe Is Legit
09-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Reported

You must not understand how it works around here...

asator
09-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Reported
You're not even a noob or anything, what the fuck?

larrytheguitar
09-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Just trying to keep the place clean..

:sad:

technicolour
09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Reported

lol

fair enough

tancanada
09-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Yeeeeaaah I'm sure Pink's just gonna take care of him in a jiff.
You fucked up bro.

Tsexton89
09-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I love For Today, there views are great and it's not easy to do what there doing, b/c of the people that are against them. Some other Great Hardcore Christian bands are In the Midst of Lions, A Plea For Purging, Impending Doom, War of Ages, and As I lay Dying. You can't tell me you don't like any of them.

nashawa
09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I love For Today, there views are great and it's not easy to do what there doing, b/c of the people that are against them. Some other Great Hardcore Christian bands are In the Midst of Lions, A Plea For Purging, Impending Doom, War of Ages, and As I lay Dying. You can't tell me you don't like any of them.
Whoa whoa whoa...try to stay on topic dude, which happens to be.... umm

what are we talking about now? I haven't been around in a while.

So I finally pulled out Pokemon Gold again today. Get ready for some sweet, sweet poke-updates.

EDIT:
I don't like any of those bands.

technicolour
09-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Yeah, it's not easy being a christian band on the continent that has one of the highest populations of christians/thiests in the world.

Bands with ideologies and lyrics like For today's reflect a spiritual and philosophical immaturity.

Tsexton89
09-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Thats what make the Christian bands in the hardcore community so much stronger. They don't even worry about other people and thats when I have to give them props.

technicolour
09-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I know right. Just like those hardline guys who hate mosh in the pits. They don't care what anybody thinks of them.

JxD
09-06-2010, 07:52 PM
So I finally pulled out Pokemon Gold again today. Get ready for some sweet, sweet poke-updates.
I finally broke off of my Pokemon kick. I'm just being patient now, waiting for the wave of fall games to come out so that I can lose my life to them (can you say Civilization V?).

EDIT: I don't like any of those bands.
Ditto.

Thats what make the Christian bands in the hardcore community so much stronger. They don't even worry about other people and thats when I have to give them props.
I don't get this sentence. Do you give them props for not worrying about what other people think, despite living in on a continent that is overwhelmingly Christian, or, do you give them props for being Christian, or do you give them props for being Christian and not caring what other people think, despite sharing a common religious belief with most the country? Is there some sort of perception that hardcore is overwhelmingly intolerant towards religion? Because I think that is false.

Tsexton89
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
I give them props for not caring about the people that are against the Christian Belief, and bash it at every chance they get. Yes the majority of the US is Christian, but whats wrong with that. Why hate a band or bands, due to their words.

I don't hate Judist priest or Otep or any other band that is on the opposite spectrum. I let them believe what they choose to believe. I'm not saying I'm wright or your wright. I'm saying if you don't like it separate yourself and then you don't ever have to worry about it again. I can say 80% of Americans are Christian and 10% don't believe in God at all. And that is Okay! I'm pray for that 10%.

I know many may not like this post but I'm now going to let you say what you like. I hope all off us can show some maturity and drop the ongoing argument and move on with our lives.

nashawa
09-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Why do we have to keep having this conversation?

No one hates them because they're Christian, we think the music itself is boring. Where being Christian becomes a negative is because bands like this act like they are persecuted because of their beliefs, when in reality, the US persecutes atheists to a much higher degree.

In short, name me one openly non-Christian US president. When a country is "founded under God," there is literally nothing brave nor factual about claiming to be a martyr for said beliefs.

SeveredSurvival
09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
The best Christian bands are Advent and August Burns Red. Most of the Christian bands are just boring in my eyes, really nothing appealing about them but I enjoy some of them. Like I mentioned those two, Hundredth, As I Lay Dying, Mortification... and yeah.... if they are good, I'll listen to it.

lookpizza
09-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Underoath are my favorite Christian hardcore band. Srsly.

thesceneislame
09-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Why hate a band or bands, due to their words.

ther are plenty of reasons to hate a band for their words. but for today is not one of them imo.

Kyle<3
09-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Why do we have to keep having this conversation?

No one hates them because they're Christian, we think the music itself is boring. Where being Christian becomes a negative is because bands like this act like they are persecuted because of their beliefs, when in reality, the US persecutes atheists to a much higher degree.

In short, name me one openly non-Christian US president. When a country is "founded under God," there is literally nothing brave nor factual about claiming to be a martyr for said beliefs.

It's a valid point, and from your standpoint it makes sense.

Okay, and we know that you think the majority of the US population is Christian and lives by Christian morals and beliefs, but the fact is that they are not, especially when you look at our generation.

Okay, For Today isn't being "persecuted" per say, but I bet they get a lot of hate for being "preachy." I also don't think that they themselves think they're being persecuted, that's just the word you're using to bias your way through the conversation.

Nash, I respect you for upholding your beliefs in Atheism, you must have a very good reason for doing so. I think I've read on this forum before that you've said "I'm an atheist, and will be until someone proves me wrong." I'm not here to change that, nor could I probably prove you wrong, but no reason to hate on others worldview because they don't agree with you, or because they act a certain way about it, you may not know the whole story.

And I'm sure if you actually went and talked to the guys in For Today, they'd be nothing but friendly and welcoming to you, even if you straight up told them you were an atheist.

Now, could you guys focus more on the music? If you want to go argue about religion or something I'm sure there's a section in the Pit or even in this forum about it.

nashawa
09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Whoooooooooooa

Way to miss the point brah.

I'm not hating on any religion, nor did I ever say that. What is it about religious discussion that seems to impair people's abilities to critically analyze what had been previously said?

I said the music is boring. I said it's stupid to think you're being persecuted if you're a Christian.

And yes, maybe read up on some statistics, because I assure you, and I will give you... I dunno, my left leg if ANY of the presidents for the next decade are not Christian.

You probably won't see any other denomination in power for the next 50 years or so. The US is an extremely Christian state, and to say otherwise is just plain retarded.

Seriously, where was I attacking others views? See, this always happens. When someone says ANYTHING perceived to be of any other belief system other than Christian, Christians get defensive and act like everyone is out to get them. I don't care what you believe, no one cares what you believe, so don't be the martyr. No one has even said anything negative.

Kyle<3
09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Whoooooooooooa

Way to miss the point brah.

I'm not hating on any religion, nor did I ever say that. What is it about religious discussion that seems to impair people's abilities to critically analyze what had been previously said?

I said the music is boring. I said it's stupid to think you're being persecuted if you're a Christian.

And yes, maybe read up on some statistics, because I assure you, and I will give you... I dunno, my left leg if ANY of the presidents for the next decade are not Christian.

You probably won't see any other denomination in power for the next 50 years or so. The US is an extremely Christian state, and to say otherwise is just plain retarded.

Seriously, where was I attacking others views? See, this always happens. When someone says ANYTHING perceived to be of any other belief system other than Christian, Christians get defensive and act like everyone is out to get them. I don't care what you believe, no one cares what you believe, so don't be the martyr. No one has even said anything negative.

Okay, maybe I spoke on a bit broader terms then just your last post. But I've seen your fair share of mocking remarks, especially towards Christianity more than anything else. JUST saying, if anything that last post of yours was just as "defensive" as can be.

Okay, sure. Our good miraculous President Obama claims he is Christian, but is almost consistently liberal, which contradicts many moral values of Christianity. Not to mention the Democrats seem to have a good amount of control over congress right now, most of whom are also very liberal.

And Christians ARE being persecuted, just not in the US, this probably puts a lot of fear in most Christians because they see the increasingly liberal government and then they get the "oh no, are we next?" factor going on.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

and as for the music being boring... sure it is. I make fun of it myself sometimes. However its also probably not being made with technical awesomeness in mind, maybe the want to get a message out?

nashawa
09-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Okay, sure. Our good miraculous President Obama claims he is Christian, but is almost consistently liberal, which contradicts many moral values of Christianity. Not to mention the Democrats seem to have a good amount of control over congress right now, most of whom are also very liberal.

Lol, no.

Living in the US, you, like most other Americans, don't really have any sort of grasp on Liberalism.

In Canada, our Consevative party is in power right now and our leader is still further left than Obama. Your Democrats are further to the right than most of the world's "right-wing" parties.

Obama isn't even centerist when compared to the rest of the world, it's just the fact that your Republicans are soooooo far right it's scary.

EDIT: And I understand something doesn't need to be technical to not be boring. I listen to tons of pop-punk. That's not a valid argument.

JUST saying, if anything that last post of yours was just as "defensive" as can be.

And this...

Yes, it was defensive, because I was called out. Of course I was going to defend myself. You got defensive without reason.

Kyle<3
09-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Lol, no.

Living in the US, you, like most other Americans, don't really have any sort of grasp on Liberalism.

In Canada, our Consevative party is in power right now and our leader is still further left than Obama. Your Democrats are further to the right than most of the world's "right-wing" parties.

Obama isn't even centerist when compared to the rest of the world, it's just the fact that your Republicans are soooooo far right it's scary.

Sure, that's because many of them live by Christian morals and a worldview that expresses Christianity.

Christianity is hardly embraced in Europe anymore, and as far as China and the Arab States go in some places it is illegal to be Christian at all, so when absent of those morals, then sure you would expect them to be much more left.

EDIT: You could have easily ignored me.

And yes, I realize technicality isn't the end all, I listen to a lot the same genre too. No worries there, I was just using it as an example.

nashawa
09-06-2010, 10:12 PM
:facepalm:

Christianity =/= right wing

Fundamentalism =/= right wing

But fine... if you want to feel like you're being persecuted, I might as well help out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAAs5B5cvho

Kyle<3
09-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Christianity =/= right wing

Fundamentalism = right wing

But fine... if you want to feel like you're being persecuted, I might as well help out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAAs5B5cvho

And Christianity would obviously influence Fundamentalism. ---- in some ways.

Did I ever say that I was feeling persecuted?

EDIT: Watched video. Converge... I listen to Converge... sooo?

The Charm
09-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Okay, maybe I spoke on a bit broader terms then just your last post. But I've seen your fair share of mocking remarks, especially towards Christianity more than anything else. JUST saying, if anything that last post of yours was just as "defensive" as can be.

And Christians ARE being persecuted, just not in the US, this probably puts a lot of fear in most Christians because they see the increasingly liberal government and then they get the "oh no, are we next?" factor going on.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

and as for the music being boring... sure it is. I make fun of it myself sometimes. However its also probably not being made with technical awesomeness in mind, maybe the want to get a message out?

BWAHAHAHAHA. Christians being persecuted in the US. Haha, that's a good one. There's no fear factor except the one being spun by Faux News.

You know what is terrifying though? People like you who vote based solely on their religion. You can't have a free country that only commits to the values of one religion.

Edit: Read your comment wrong but I stand by my statement. Religious wingnuts scare me.

Kyle<3
09-06-2010, 10:34 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA. Christians being persecuted in the US. Haha, that's a good one. There's no fear factor except the one being spun by Faux News.

You know what is terrifying though? People like you who vote based solely on their religion. You can't have a free country that only commits to the values of one religion.

Edit: Read your comment wrong but I stand by my statement. Religious wingnuts scare me.

Once again... never said Christians are being persecuted in the US. I also said that I don't find For Today to act as if they are persecuted either.

When any religious members become extremist and act without logic (meanwhile betraying the very faith they support which is the case most of the time), then yea, thats scary.

The Charm
09-06-2010, 10:36 PM
You missed my point. Religion and Politics should be separate. Your choices in one should not govern the other in any form.

I never even mentioned extremism.

Kyle<3
09-06-2010, 10:44 PM
You missed my point. Religion and Politics should be separate. Your choices in one should not govern the other in any form.

I never even mentioned extremism.

It could be implied in some cases, albeit loosely.

Religion and politics should be separate? I disagree. If someone has a worldview, they aren't going to create a separate one for politics, they are going to stand for what they believe in I would assume.

Not only that but much of the foundation of the US government is based on biblical views if I am not mistaken.

lookpizza
09-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I can't even tell my parents I am no longer Christian if I want to have a place to live. I don't see any atheist parents kicking out their kids for finding religion. Persecution my ass.

The Charm
09-06-2010, 10:56 PM
It could be implied in some cases, albeit loosely.

Religion and politics should be separate? I disagree. If someone has a worldview, they aren't going to create a separate one for politics, they are going to stand for what they believe in I would assume.

Not only that but much of the foundation of the US government is based on biblical views if I am not mistaken.

Basing your opinions on religion means infringing on the rights of others who's religion/opinions may contradict what you believe.

Gay marriage is a perfect example of where peoples rights in the United States are being infringed upon because of religious wingnuts.

JxD
09-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Why hate a band or bands, due to their words.
Why listen to a band if they lack content?
I don't hate Judist priest or Otep or any other band that is on the opposite spectrum. I let them believe what they choose to believe. I'm not saying I'm wright or your wright. I'm saying if you don't like it separate yourself and then you don't ever have to worry about it again. I can say 80% of Americans are Christian and 10% don't believe in God at all. And that is Okay! I'm pray for that 10%.
*Right
This post is poorly thought out and constructed. Christianity is pushed on me from every side; I can't separate myself from it. It is ludicrous to think that someone could just avoid religion. Also, please don't pray for me.

Why would you doubt the presidents religious beliefs? Furthermore, why do they matter? He isn't raping nuns in the street nor is he hanging ministers from lamp-posts. Also, I don't understand what liberal ideas contradict Christianity. Helping the poor? Not killing other people? That whole argument is ****ing stupid. Christians aren't being persecuted, unless they're homosexual Christians who aren't allowed to marry.

Christianity is hardly embraced in Europe anymore, and as far as China and the Arab States go in some places it is illegal to be Christian at all, so when absent of those morals, then sure you would expect them to be much more left.
Have you ever left your city? The idea that Europe has abandoned Christianity is ****ing stupid. I don't even know where to go with this argument. You're just wrong. Islam has a long history of being tolerant to Christians, don't just assume they hate all Christians because the media spins it that way. I don't know what you're talking about with the whole morality thing. Their religious morals are more or less the same as Christianity. The differences come from customs that various practitioners of Islam have inherited from the regions that they came from. And don't drag China into this, the western world has done some pretty heinous stuff to that nation; I would distrust Christianity if I were in their position too.

The US was founded on the same ideas as the French Revolution; the same revolution that was famous for coining the phrase "We will not be free until the last king is hanging dead from the entrails of the last priest." Not to mention also Greek and Roman models; the same Greeks and Romans who had never heard the word of God.

SeveredSurvival
09-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I'll just stick to my Atheist views, and say that I have nothing against any religion.

Kyle<3
09-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Why would you doubt the presidents religious beliefs? Furthermore, why do they matter? He isn't raping nuns in the street nor is he hanging ministers from lamp-posts. Also, I don't understand what liberal ideas contradict Christianity. Helping the poor? Not killing other people? That whole argument is ****ing stupid. Christians aren't being persecuted, unless they're homosexual Christians who aren't allowed to marry.

I only included that because Nash mentioned it.

Liberal ideas contradicting Christianity... First things that come to mind are abortion, and the homosexual marriage debate. You all know the liberal and conservative stances on each, and a biblical worldview would oppose both pro-abortion and homosexuality.

Have you ever left your city? The idea that Europe has abandoned Christianity is ****ing stupid. I don't even know where to go with this argument. You're just wrong. Islam has a long history of being tolerant to Christians, don't just assume they hate all Christians because the media spins it that way. I don't know what you're talking about with the whole morality thing. Their religious morals are more or less the same as Christianity. The differences come from customs that various practitioners of Islam have inherited from the regions that they came from. And don't drag China into this, the western world has done some pretty heinous stuff to that nation; I would distrust Christianity if I were in their position too.

Dude, I'm including examples and I'm not gonna take the time to include long detailed discussions about these cultural semantics. There are Christians being persecuted overseas, I know families who have lost people in the missions field to execution, thats the bottom line.

Christianity has certainly decreased in Europe, especially in our generation. At the least, participation has dwindled very low.

The US was founded on the same ideas as the French Revolution; the same revolution that was famous for coining the phrase "We will not be free until the last king is hanging dead from the entrails of the last priest." Not to mention also Greek and Roman models; the same Greeks and Romans who had never heard the word of God.

The US was NOT founded on the exact same ideas as the French revolution. Did it include some of its ideas and concepts? Yes, but it lacked a correct moral standing, which is why - when the founding Fathers, all of whom were considered Christian or Biblical in some way or the other (yes I know Ben Franklin was a deist etc.) that the US system of government worked.

The French revolution was loosely based on the worldview of men such as Rousseau who had a naturalist worldview.

EDIT: Not to mention, a good portion of the New Testament is about just that, spreading Biblical ideas to Rome and Greece.

JxD
09-07-2010, 12:25 AM
I only included that because Nash mentioned it.

Liberal ideas contradicting Christianity... First things that come to mind are abortion, and the homosexual marriage debate. You all know the liberal and conservative stances on each, and a biblical worldview would oppose both pro-abortion and homosexuality.
It is possible for liberals to be anti-abortion. Likewise, it is possible for conservatives to be pro-gay marriage. Conservatives aren't inherently Christian, liberals aren't inherently atheist.

Dude, I'm including examples and I'm not gonna take the time to include long detailed discussions about these cultural semantics. There are Christians being persecuted overseas, I know families who have lost people in the missions field to execution, thats the bottom line.
What were the missionaries doing to deserve execution? I don't want to sound like I'm presuming they're guilty of doing something to deserve such a fate, but when you look at the history of missionary work, I am more dubious of the missionaries than I am of the people they're trying to convert.

Christianity has certainly decreased in Europe, especially in our generation. At the least, participation has dwindled very low.
That's silly. People still make pilgrimages, churches are still filling, the Vatican hasn't been moved, etc. I doubt Europe is any less Christian than it was two centuries ago.

The US was NOT founded on the exact same ideas as the French revolution. Did it include some of its ideas and concepts? Yes, but it lacked a correct moral standing, which is why - when the founding Fathers, all of whom were considered Christian or Biblical in some way or the other (yes I know Ben Franklin was a deist etc.) that the US system of government worked.

The French revolution was loosely based on the worldview of men such as Rousseau who had a naturalist worldview.

EDIT: Not to mention, a good portion of the New Testament is about just that, spreading Biblical ideas to Rome and Greece.
The French Revolution failed because of extremism in politics, the need for stability after Robespierre's Reign of Terror (Thermidorean counter-revolution), and the rise of Napoleon, not because of incorrect moral standards. The US was founded on most of the same ideas; just look at the constitutions, very similar fare. American politicians would have been influenced by the exact same European philosophers as the French; they were more European than they were American.

Christianity spread readily to Rome and Greece because it was a rehashing of ideas the Roman's and Greek's were already familiar with, since they were the ones who did said rehashing.

Okeefe Is Legit
09-07-2010, 01:17 AM
blahblahblahreligionblahblahpoliticsblah

So, how's the weather been for everyone these past few days?

technicolour
09-07-2010, 01:39 AM
I wouldn't be bothered with christianity or bands with a "christian agenda" if they didn't try to restrict the rights of individuals - something that happens a lot in the political world.

Not to mention a large portion of religious people are whack when it comes to rational thinking. Morals can only come from God? bitch please. Humans - a finite being, are somehow able to comprehend God?, an infinite, perfect being. Yeah okay..

I enjoy reading Christian philosophy like Kierkegaard, or theistic stuff like Spinoza - because they have some thought out arguments actually based on something other than the bible. Now if more christians and christian bands knew what they were talking about when it came to science, metaphysics, logic, etc. I'd have some respect for them. But most are just spouting the same uneducated dribble.

thesceneislame
09-07-2010, 06:05 AM
you guys should take this to the philosophy thread.

technicolour
09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
yeah, but how many for today fans would go in there :p

UntoExistence
09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
and this is how all for today threads end up. if they didn't, it just wouldn't be a for today thread...

tancanada
09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Why does everyone get in huge arguments about religion? All that religion does (or is supposed to do) is give you a free ticket to heaven card. Nothing else about living a Christian, Muslim or Buddhist life matters.

technicolour
09-07-2010, 05:52 PM
right...except..:

http://www.missionamerica.com/agenda.php

http://abcnews.go.com/US/school-anti-bullying-programs-push-gay-agenda-christian/story?id=11527833

http://www.creationists.org/

tancanada
09-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Those people have gone off the deep end :facepalm:

lookpizza
09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
http://www.creationists.org/dinosaurs-humans-coexisted.html

:mad:

synestershadows
10-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I would be okay with this band being Christian, but when they start praying and whatnot during live sets, that pisses me off. It also has to be said that the line "Repent or Perish" is not only ignorant, but extremely offensive to people.

MustangMan311
10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
I would be okay with this band being Christian, but when they start praying and whatnot during live sets, that pisses me off. It also has to be said that the line "Repent or Perish" is not only ignorant, but extremely offensive to people.
How is "repent or perish" any different from any of their other Christian beliefs? How is that ignorant, when you consider everything else they believe in? That's one of the fundamental beliefs of Christianity, dawg.

synestershadows
10-13-2010, 04:17 PM
How is "repent or perish" any different from any of their other Christian beliefs? How is that ignorant, when you consider everything else they believe in? That's one of the fundamental beliefs of Christianity, dawg.
That's pretty much saying "Be Christian or Die." Also, they have a t-shirt that says it in big, bold print.

GodofCheesecake
10-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Not really. I think what he's getting at is that they're saying repent or go to hell, which... is pretty much Christianity.

Although I'll agree it's lame that they're out there preaching at shows. Big turn off for me.

asator
10-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Sleeping Giant do it too. If they were particularly amazing bands I could live with it, but since neither of them are exactly outstanding, I think I can live without the sermon.

Brendan.Clace
10-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Not really. I think what he's getting at is that they're saying repent or go to hell, which... is pretty much Christianity.

Although I'll agree it's lame that they're out there preaching at shows. Big turn off for me.

Then don't listen to the band or go to the show?

Definitely seeing them with The Devil Wears Prada on Dec 8th!!!! SOOOO STOKED

nashawa
10-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Then don't listen to the band or go to the show?

Perhaps he went to a show for another band, and then one like this decided to preach during their set?

SeveredSurvival
10-14-2010, 12:05 AM
You know what sucks. They decided to come here same day as Shai Hulud, Lionheart, Hundredth and Counterparts and two local bands.

Hmmm let's see 6 great bands for 15 dollars, or 1 band (TDWP) for 25 dollars. I think the choice is obvious here.

Okeefe Is Legit
10-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Perhaps he went to a show for another band, and then one like this decided to preach during their set?

The only time I could see that happening is if he went to see the Winds of Plague tour or one of the many tours they did with The Ghost Inside.

These guys usually play on jesus tours so it's kind of hard not to avoid them if you're not into that kind of music.

nashawa
10-14-2010, 12:09 AM
ABR is playing that weird AP tour. None of the other bands on the tour are Christian.

Okeefe Is Legit
10-14-2010, 12:36 AM
ABR is playing that weird AP tour. None of the other bands on the tour are Christian.

I don't think they preach during their set though. The super preachy ones tend to tour with each other (aside from underoath).

MAX-182
10-14-2010, 12:57 AM
new cd is better than their last one for sure.

synestershadows
10-14-2010, 01:43 AM
You know what sucks. They decided to come here same day as Shai Hulud, Lionheart, Hundredth and Counterparts and two local bands.

Hmmm let's see 6 great bands for 15 dollars, or 1 band (TDWP) for 25 dollars. I think the choice is obvious here.

The Shai Hulud tour lineup sounds sick. I bet more ppl went to the TDWP show though, just because they have a huge scene following.

SeveredSurvival
10-14-2010, 11:59 PM
It hasn't happened yet dude, the shows are on the same date and I'm kind of upset that more people are going to Silverstein, TDWP and For Today as opposed to those other 6 bands.

Seriously, the only band worth seeing on that bill is TDWP, Silverstien suck, For Today are nothing special, I can't stand that band anymore.

synestershadows
10-15-2010, 12:29 AM
It hasn't happened yet dude, the shows are on the same date and I'm kind of upset that more people are going to Silverstein, TDWP and For Today as opposed to those other 6 bands.

Seriously, the only band worth seeing on that bill is TDWP, Silverstien suck, For Today are nothing special, I can't stand that band anymore.
I don't even like TDWP. They started this whole scenecore trend.

SeveredSurvival
10-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Plus did I mention the Lionheart and Shai Hulud show is 15 dollars as opposed to 25 for the other one.

Okeefe Is Legit
10-15-2010, 01:00 AM
I don't know if it's because I missed the whole learning phase of getting really good with my picking hand, but I still cannot for the life of me play some of the riffs off Plagues.

Brendan.Clace
10-15-2010, 02:06 AM

Your opinion. not necessarily the opinion of others. All 3 are in my top 10 bands that I listen to right now for sure.

nashawa
10-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Your opinion. not necessarily the opinion of others. All 3 are in my top 10 bands that I listen to right now for sure.
Yes, it's clearly his opinion. He's talking about how he'll find the tour boring because he thinks those bands are boring.

Why do people always deem it necessary to tack on a "that's only your opinion" line whenever they disagree with a statement? It's like people get personally offended when a band they like is called boring or whatever and feel it appropriate to point out that what was said was just an opinion (in case no one else realized it).

Now, don't think I'm just taking this out on you; I don't even know who you are, so I've got no beef with you in particular. I just see that happen a lot.

Okeefe Is Legit
10-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Yes, it's clearly his opinion. He's talking about how he'll find the tour boring because he thinks those bands are boring.

Why do people always deem it necessary to tack on a "that's only your opinion" line whenever they disagree with a statement? It's like people get personally offended when a band they like is called boring or whatever and feel it appropriate to point out that what was said was just an opinion (in case no one else realized it).

Now, don't think I'm just taking this out on you; I don't even know who you are, so I've got no beef with you in particular. I just see that happen a lot.

I kind of liked it better when you were a straight up asshole to everyone :p:

nashawa
10-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Fuck sakes... make up your mind folks.

synestershadows
10-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I would not say that around here if I were you.

Brendan.Clace
10-15-2010, 04:35 PM

My point was more like "Why even bother commenting in a thread dedicated to a band you think is boring and don't like?

asator
10-15-2010, 04:38 PM
My point was more like "Why even bother commenting in a thread dedicated to a band you think is boring and don't like?
It's a forum.

"I think they're boring and I don't like them" is just as valid as "I love them! Favourite band ever! They make me feel warm and fuzzy inside!"

nashawa
10-15-2010, 04:47 PM
It's pointless coming into a thread just to say "they're cool" or "I'm going to see them play! woot!" No one cares and it's equally as inconsequential.

synestershadows
10-15-2010, 05:00 PM
I think it's about time people realize how mediocre they really are. Also, they use too many melodeath riffs. It's just overkill.

Brendan.Clace
10-15-2010, 05:54 PM
I think it's about time people realize how mediocre they really are. Also, they use too many melodeath riffs. It's just overkill.

Says the guy with a name dedicated to Avenged Sevenfold LOLZ :haha:

nashawa
10-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Man, you really do take this shit personally, eh?

Okeefe Is Legit
10-15-2010, 05:56 PM

Synister Gates comes up with some damn good riffs/solos, no matter how gay he may be.

asator
10-15-2010, 06:07 PM
To be fair, For Today > A7X.

Well no, let me rephrase.

A7X < For Today

synestershadows
10-15-2010, 08:24 PM
At least my profile picture doesn't worship crabcore.

This username is outdated. I grew out of A7X about 2 months after I created this profile.

To be fair, For Today > A7X.

Well no, let me rephrase.

A7X < For Today
Lol, I see what you did there. :haha:

SeveredSurvival
10-16-2010, 02:21 AM

Don't mean to come off as an asshole or anything but you do realize you contradicted the point you were trying to make? You basically said it was my opinion, hence why I am coming to the thread to comment on the band.

synestershadows
10-16-2010, 02:55 AM
This is the classic rookie mistake. Saying something like "that's just your opinion," followed by something else like "why are you even here if you don't like (insert band name here)?"

Lemon Grind
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
For Today is the best hardcore band ever! I like that they are Christians too. We need more music like this!

MustangMan311
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Don't feed him, guys.

Lemon Grind
12-06-2010, 07:25 PM
What? I don't understand. They're so technical and their clean singing is awesome! :D

synestershadows
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Leaving now...

technicolour
12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Christianity has no place in hardcore or metal. There's too much integrity in the genres :p:

synestershadows
12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
What? I don't understand. They're so technical and their clean singing is awesome! :D
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BHasNZz95yY/Spy5N9lZ09I/AAAAAAAAAh0/UVNNHiv6Zbw/s320/pokeball2.jpg

technicolour
12-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't think it works if they're trolling

synestershadows
12-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't think it works if they're trolling
Oh was this another boffen multi?

technicolour
12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
maybe, but I don't think they were serious either way

asator
12-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Pretty sure that's Nash.

zezimathehero
12-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Nash better come to the new forum

asator
12-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Nash better come to the new forum
Admiral Grind.

ginger5138
12-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Did Nash get banned or something? I haven't seen his posts in a while...

zezimathehero
12-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Admiral Grind.
yeah I saw that.