Running a guitar head through a bass cab

PDA

View Full Version : Running a guitar head through a bass cab

glennick
08-20-2010, 01:33 PM
i would like to do this...but how many watts of guitar amp to equal equivalent on bass? ex: 100w guitar head = 100w bass head?

im interested in using an all tube guitar amp for this but unsure of wattage... i dont need anything loud...im playing in a 60s kinda band...very beatles influenced indie rock... was looking at 100w solid state bass combos(kustom and acoustic) but keep going back to wanting a tube head through a bass cab...anybody know wattage or size of head i would need?

i checked out the 5watters (epiphone valve jr, kustom defender, blackheart little giant, vox ac4tv(4watts)...itd be nice to use one of these(as they are around $100) i read a review where a bassist ran the epiphone valve jr through his bass cabs(his head broke) and it worked for the gig

NickGiovanni
08-20-2010, 01:38 PM
On Paper, It's possible. Cab's are essentially just speakers mounted in a cabinet on wheels, and Bass speakers have a wider range of low end then guitar speakers. So it'll work, but you'll probably lose alot of mids and high end

salgala2000
08-20-2010, 01:58 PM
On paper watts are the same but ears hear less bass than other frequencies

groovy-elephant
08-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Recently I bought a Marshall MBC 4x10" 600W bass cab and I play with a Bugera 1960 150W tube guitar head. It sounds awesome. The volume I can get is brutal. Through experience, I decided to match the potency of the amp with the potency of a single speaker of the cab. In my case, 600W:4=150W. I guide my decision through that observation. I can't explain in better but tube guitar head through a bass cab pays off if you want a vintage sound.

glennick
08-21-2010, 04:32 PM
what about volume/watts? for now we will probably only be practicing or playing at coffee shops(still with full band)...nothing too big and as long as i can be heard over other instruments im good. i dont need a massively loud amp.

does anyone play with a classic rock (early classic: 67' era) band? what kind of amps do you use? wattage? speaker size? etc...

John Swift
08-21-2010, 04:44 PM
It's ok to play guitar through a bass cab, it is when it's done the other way round that you can and will run into problems.

shinhoman
08-21-2010, 05:37 PM
i checked out the 5watters (epiphone valve jr, kustom defender, blackheart little giant, vox ac4tv(4watts)...itd be nice to use one of these(as they are around $100) i read a review where a bassist ran the epiphone valve jr through his bass cabs(his head broke) and it worked for the gig

i use a valve junior into my swr triad.

it'd perfectly fine to do that, although the tone might not be perfect.

x

NickGiovanni
08-21-2010, 06:00 PM
For Classic Rock and 60's/70's stuff, Look into a Vox.
Vox amps are notorious for that Classic Rock sound. Idk how their cleans are though

groovy-elephant
08-21-2010, 07:48 PM
I play hard rock/stoner/doom/70's heavy metal. The Bugera I refered in the other post is a replica of a Marshall Plexi, a classic guitar head used by many known guitarists like Jimi Hendrix or Pete Townshend. Since bass cabs usually have high wattage, you will need a guitar head with 100W-200W. The Bugera is awesome.

Ian hawkins
08-22-2010, 07:44 AM
I run a 50 watt Laney guitar head into my 4x10.
Sounds great.Volume isn't an issue,and my drummer is LOUD.
Gets a VERY overdriven tube tone.I run a guitar dist pedal and fuzz pedal into it aswell and they really work togehter.For a 60's tone,50-100 watt guitar head will do you great.

glennick
08-22-2010, 04:43 PM
thanks so much. i was really trying to avoid just getting a 200w bass amp. ill look at some 50 - 100 watt heads

glennick
08-22-2010, 05:02 PM
so my mother had gotten this from her church during a cleanup and used it for decoration until recently when she said i could have it.

its a Davis 201-A. i googled it but only found a few youtube videos of a guy testing the tubes and another guy playing guitar through it...anyone know how i can mod this to play guitar or possibly bass through it?