The bands I love n hate.

PDA

View Full Version : The bands I love n hate.

Herpman97
09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
My favorite genre is Classic Rock but this is sorta of a praise/rant
My favorite bands:

AC/DC
Led Zeppelin
Boston
The Stones
I like most classic rock bands but the one artist I think is the most underrated is Billy Squier. He's a great example and my favorite guitarist.

But the bands I hate:
I CANT'T STAND MOST MODERN ROCK BANDS! The guitar sound, voice, and everything is computer improved, the guitar sounds WAAAY To heavy and its all about look now'adays. The ones I especially dont care for are:
Green Day
Linkin Park
Skillet (yes I am a christian)

BrokenDstring
09-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Maybe.

MoFly41
09-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Boston and Billy Squier are wretched.

wyldething
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
You don't say...

The_Funk
09-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Saying modern rock is bad is just as ignorant as saying classic rock is bad. There's such a huge variety that just dismissing it all is stupid.

Herpman97
09-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Saying modern rock is bad is just as ignorant as saying classic rock is bad. There's such a huge variety that just dismissing it all is stupid.

I miust respectfully disagree with you. I haven't I cant stand all modern rock, just most. And in the end it is my opinion, and I know some people will agree and disagree with me.

BrainDamage
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Saying modern rock is bad is just as ignorant as saying classic rock is bad. There's such a huge variety that just dismissing it all is stupid. This.

Herpman, this is the answer to all your anti-modern rock problems:

http://img.maniadb.com/images/album/182/182466_1_f.jpg

EDIT: I thought about closing this, but for some strange reason I want to see some more responses first.

The_Funk
09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I miust respectfully disagree with you. I haven't I cant stand all modern rock, just most. And in the end it is my opinion, and I know some people will agree and disagree with me.
While yes, you have your right to an opinion, that doesn't mean your opinion is automatically exempt from being called ignorant. The sheer amount of rock subgenres is astounding, you can hardly rattle off a few mainstream bands and be like "See? It's all shit!"

Herpman97
09-03-2010, 04:43 PM
While yes, you have your right to an opinion, that doesn't mean your opinion is automatically exempt from being called ignorant. The sheer amount of rock subgenres is astounding, you can hardly rattle off a few mainstream bands and be like "See? It's all shit!"

Well you may have me there. I will apologize for my ignorance, but my opinion hasn't changed in Classic Rock>Modern Rock. I would like to somewhat enjoy modern rock so im not stuck "the the old days" but I cant get into it. They dont suck, Im just not into it.

BTW Im 13 :haha:

IIjakeH
09-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Boston and Billy Squier are wretched.
Boston are amazing!

BrokenDstring
09-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Boston are amazing!

+10

stonegolem13
09-04-2010, 04:04 AM
You know, this is funny...we have a whole thread for modern bands who sound like Classic Rock. A lot of mainstream modern rock music draws heavily from genres which aren't (in my opinion) any good, but you can't say "I CANT'T STAND MOST MODERN ROCK BANDS!" without opening yourself to critique. And after all, there are a lot of bands out there who you probably haven't heard of. Personally I like some of the modern rock I have heard, but I much prefer the music of bands from the 60s/70s.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some BOC to listen to :p:

Jazz Funeral
09-04-2010, 11:02 AM
This.

Herpman, this is the answer to all your anti-modern rock problems:

"Cover of Kickass album"

EDIT: I thought about closing this, but for some strange reason I want to see some more responses first.
It goads us, precious!

Here's another album that'll fix a lot of Modern Rock woes.

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/g/govt-mule/album-govt-mule.jpg

Alright, for the sake of "popular" Modern Rock, I haven't liked a band since Staind. But, I've definitely bought a shitload of new releases in the last ten years. Gov't Mule, Widespread Panic, Phish, The Black Crowes, and The Drive-By Truckers all appeal to the sensibilities of a Classic Rock fan (that's the short list). They do other things (blues, jazz, extended jamming, southern rock, punk, and forays into the bizarre), BUT; if you know your Classic Rock, you should have a pretty solid idea of where these newer bands are coming from.

Here comes the opinionated portion of this post, and I don't mess around with flameshields, because I can handle backlash. It amuses me.

Nearly all Modern Rock found on our FM radio sucks. Serious offenders include Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, and that whole wave of bands where there's a whiny asshole singing over the most simple of a steady three chord strum. I don't have names for that shit, I don't care. Bullets are pretty cheap, that's all I have to say about that. I should add that I do like some stuff by Buckcherry, Alice In Chains, a lot of Grunge in general, Korn, and even Pantera.

80's Rock. Oooh, there's some real "doozies" here. I think most of this decade sucked, for no other reason than over-production and glam. I can't imagine a more ridiculous scene than a makeup laden cupcake of a man playing a fucking synthesizer. Serious offenders include Journey (especially Steve Perry), ...and you know what? I'll just say Glam Rock, and Arena Rock in general. Rock 'n Roll became a huge parody of itself at this time. I do like The Smiths, early Guns 'n' Roses, and some stuff by Cinderella. Oh, since I know they were active at the time, I have to say that Motorhead kicks all kinds of ass.

At this point, I've been typing for a while so I want to get this "inb4" the thread gets closed. Further edits pending...

stonegolem13
09-04-2010, 02:52 PM
^And I thought I was going on a bit :haha

Tarsplitter
09-05-2010, 04:48 AM
BTW Im 13 :haha:
Oh, that explains everything.

The_Funk
09-05-2010, 12:17 PM
80's Rock. Oooh, there's some real "doozies" here. I think most of this decade sucked, for no other reason than over-production and glam. I can't imagine a more ridiculous scene than a makeup laden cupcake of a man playing a fucking synthesizer. Serious offenders include Journey (especially Steve Perry), ...and you know what? I'll just say Glam Rock, and Arena Rock in general. Rock 'n Roll became a huge parody of itself at this time. I do like The Smiths, early Guns 'n' Roses, and some stuff by Cinderella. Oh, since I know they were active at the time, I have to say that Motorhead kicks all kinds of ass.
While I agree that 80s mainstream rock is terrible, I'm kinda glad it exists. It led to all these awesome underground bands forming during the decade, like R.E.M, The Pixies, Dinosaur jr, and XTC. And, y'know, like a million others I can't name off the top of my head.

crazydiamond5
09-06-2010, 10:02 PM

you have to agree tho that MOST bands these days blow. with the music industry going to shit you cant expect much from our generation. :peace:

BrainDamage
09-06-2010, 10:07 PM
^^There was the same amount of awful mainstream music forty years ago as there is today. Just because most of what's played on popular radio these days doesn't have any redeeming value doesn't mean that you can go ahead and discount all modern music. There IS good music out there, you just have to dig a little deeper to find it.

crazydiamond5
09-06-2010, 10:40 PM
^^There was the same amount of awful mainstream music forty years ago as there is today. Just because most of what's played on popular radio these days doesn't have any redeeming value doesn't mean that you can go ahead and discount all modern music. There IS good music out there, you just have to dig a little deeper to find it.

thats probably true but i dont think mainstream music has ever been THIS awful before. i mean come on miley cyrus? jona brothers? and all these shitty screamo bands, its like a ronald reagan wet dream out there lol.

BrainDamage
09-06-2010, 11:14 PM
^^Yeah? Go check out some songs from the top singles charts of random years in the 60s/70s/80s. Either way, it's hard to really compare considering how the focus of mainstream music and styles of music have changed, but the point still stands that you can't completely dismiss all modern music based on the stuff in the mainstream that you don't like.

The_Funk
09-06-2010, 11:18 PM
thats probably true but i dont think mainstream music has ever been THIS awful before. i mean come on miley cyrus? jona brothers? and all these shitty screamo bands, its like a ronald reagan wet dream out there lol.
Uh, 80s hair metal was essentially the same thing as the emo scene today, just change out modern fashion with 80s fashion and vague punk roots with vague metal roots.

And with the indie scene as active as it is, good music isn't really in any danger of dissapearing.

Actually, it occurs to me that I could refute your arguement with one word: Disco.

BrainDamage
09-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Actually, it occurs to me that I could refute your arguement with one word: Disco. Exactly :haha:

master
09-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I absolutely love the situation Rock n' Roll is in right now. Since real balls to the wall rock n' roll doesn't get any mainstream attention at the moment I get to see all these fantastic new bands the way rock n' roll bands are meant to be seen, in small clubs and bars sweating all over the crowd and drinking a beer with us after the set. And most of them know they won't become huge, which means that their music is sincere and they really do it because they love it.

Silvertide
StoneRider
The Answer
Eric Lindell
The Sights
The Redwalls
The Black Key
The White Stripes
American Minor
Thee Shams
The Thieves
The Raconteurs
The Vibes
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Bloody Hollies
Band of Skulls
No Address

And that's just off the top of my head. Search and you will find.

EDIT: Look up the charts from the 60's and 70's when you have some time. You will find that they were mostly dominated by crap as well. Remember that ABBA and the BeeGees were the biggest bands in the world at one time.