Stage presence

PDA

View Full Version : Stage presence

tancanada
09-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Help me be br00tal guys! I suck at moving around while performing :L tipz plox?

Unknown_Biskit
09-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Well, if you're playing "hardcore"

...Don't

Just shake your head up and down.

At least, that's what all the metal bands I've played concerts with did.

Jax28
09-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Help me be br00tal guys! I suck at moving around while performing :L tipz plox?

Im taking it that your a guitarist so for stage presance....

Move toward the audience, keep eye contact with them etc and just generally try to involve the audience, if you start to move around the croud will get more pumped because of what you do to involve them

Hope this helps

Stud_Muffin
09-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Get in sync with your bassist/other guitarist and do syncronised headbanging and guitar raising, thats always works well. Just generally go crazy, because noone will really care what you look like. I've seen decent bands that look really stupid, just because they're letting themselves go as nuts as they want, but despite looking silly, it adds to the show, because everyone else will be doing exactly the same thing.

Also, if you can, try two-stepping and playing at the same time, if you have a sick breakdown. Me and the other guitarist do this in my band, it really gets people going.

tancanada
09-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I mean more of the metal stance kinds of things and headbanging, how do I get all of that down?

GodofCheesecake
09-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Who the hell are these people?

lookpizza
09-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Headbanging and "metal stuff" is gay.

technicolour
09-03-2010, 08:28 PM
listen to your heart

........when he's calling for youuuuuuuu

Sant_iago_9
09-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Headbanging and "metal stuff" is gay.
http://imgur.com/G9bOB.jpg

boffen
09-03-2010, 08:45 PM
*something about there being loads of people I've never seen here before*

lookpizza
09-03-2010, 08:54 PM
It's cause they all wanna talk about cool stuff like a bands stage presence or screaming and growling.. they never actually know anything about music though.

tancanada
09-03-2010, 09:00 PM
As evidenced by that first guy.

asator
09-03-2010, 10:07 PM
*something about there being loads of people I've never seen here before*
This.

Also, TC, you're drunk, aren't you? :haha:

tancanada
09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
How'd you know?~
But srsly I need stage presense tips

lookpizza
09-03-2010, 11:41 PM
You said it in the off topic thread.

tancanada
09-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Oh yeah I forgot :p:

Okeefe Is Legit
09-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Just stage dive all over the place.

lordofthefood1
09-04-2010, 12:09 AM
With a signature like that, you should just get into crab stance and let the crab hammer drop.

saxaxe
09-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Best advice: Don't listen to a single post in this thread.

ginger5138
09-04-2010, 01:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

Enough said...

Okeefe Is Legit
09-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Best advice: Don't listen to a single post in this thread.

lolparadox

smokeysteve22
09-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Enough said...

Lmao

saxaxe
09-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Enough said...
Amen.
Watch enough DEP videos/see them enough live and you're good.

llanafreak44
09-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Crouch really low when there's a breakdown.

JxD
09-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Get into a power-stance and hit jerks with your headstock.

MortifiedLizard
09-04-2010, 07:49 PM
If you're actually having fun, and know how to play well without standing in one spot and staring at your guitar neck, then stage presence will come naturally.

lordofthefood1
09-04-2010, 08:30 PM
if you don't get into crab stance, you could always BTBAM it and have one member with monster stage presence, three members with pretty good-to-OK stage presence (one is a drummer, so there is no reason to force it), and one member (you) that is a statue.

llanafreak44
09-04-2010, 09:03 PM
if you don't get into crab stance, you could always BTBAM it and have one member with monster stage presence, three members with pretty good-to-OK stage presence (one is a drummer, so there is no reason to force it), and one member (you) that is a statue.
'

Usually it's about the vocalist. As long as the instrument players move a little bit, it won't look bad. Just bounce your head to the beat, TS. Or pull a Converge, and flail non stop.

lordofthefood1
09-04-2010, 09:23 PM
'

Usually it's about the vocalist. As long as the instrument players move a little bit, it won't look bad. Just bounce your head to the beat, TS. Or pull a Converge, and flail non stop.
I was referring to Dan Briggs actually, who makes up for Paul Waggoner's statue-like stage presence. TS, I say move as much as you can move, because this post is kind of correct, it is usually about the vocalist.

"Oh, look at me! I play bass and I'm wearing gym shorts and I'm barefoot!" I like him.

lookpizza
09-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Actually people with instruments have more outlets than a vocalist minus crowd interactions.

lordofthefood1
09-04-2010, 09:46 PM
but they generally have less to do and can move around more, also, they're usually center stage, which helps them to be the focus

Nitrate
09-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I was referring to Dan Briggs actually, who makes up for Paul Waggoner's statue-like stage presence. TS, I say move as much as you can move, because this post is kind of correct, it is usually about the vocalist.

"Oh, look at me! I play bass and I'm wearing gym shorts and I'm barefoot!" I like him.

Dan move quite a bit. Dustie can't cause he has back problems

llanafreak44
09-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Actually people with instruments have more outlets than a vocalist minus crowd interactions.

I wouldn't say that at all, especially if you're playing more technically involved music. The only bands I've seen videos of being technical and moving around a lot are the Dillinger Escape Plan, and Converge. All the others are usually the vocalist moving around frantically, while the guitarists/bassists just bob their heads or crab up and down.

lookpizza
09-04-2010, 10:37 PM
DON'T ARGUE WITH ME I'M TOO DRUNK TO SAY ANYTHING THAT MAKES SENSE :mad:

llanafreak44
09-04-2010, 10:53 PM
DON'T ARGUE WITH ME I'M TOO DRUNK TO SAY ANYTHING THAT MAKES SENSE :mad:

You're typing is pretty articulate for a drunk guy, I hope you're not just playing the drunk card out of defeat ;) .

lookpizza
09-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Articulation has nothing to do with typing in any way! Also I can out drunk-type anyone in my age bracket. Furthermore, I've never failed a sobriety test in my life.

Edit: Also also, in whatever we were talking about I'm almost certain I was right

recklessnick
09-05-2010, 12:40 AM
jump.

nuff said

scaryfried
09-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Get in sync with your bassist/other guitarist and do syncronised headbanging and guitar raising, thats always works well. Just generally go crazy, because noone will really care what you look like. I've seen decent bands that look really stupid, just because they're letting themselves go as nuts as they want, but despite looking silly, it adds to the show, because everyone else will be doing exactly the same thing.

Also, if you can, try two-stepping and playing at the same time, if you have a sick breakdown. Me and the other guitarist do this in my band, it really gets people going.

wow.

also, how the hell did no one notice that the first poster is THIS guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fIeTuVYh10

llanafreak44
09-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Articulation has nothing to do with typing in any way! Also I can out drunk-type anyone in my age bracket. Furthermore, I've never failed a sobriety test in my life.

Edit: Also also, in whatever we were talking about I'm almost certain I was right

Sure it does!

Articulate: divided into syllables or words meaningfully arranged : intelligible

wow.

also, how the hell did no one notice that the first poster is THIS guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fIeTuVYh10

Why did I just watch the whole thing?

Okeefe Is Legit
09-05-2010, 04:46 AM

I've full on convinced friends via text that I've been sober right after telling them I had just been drinking prior to talking to them. I'd like to think I've mastered texting/typing while intoxicated. Hell, I typed this post half drunk, half hungover...

lookpizza
09-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Sure it does!

Articulate: divided into syllables or words meaningfully arranged : intelligible

Articulate is used that way to describe someone speaking. Not their typing skills.

ar·tic·u·late (är-tky-lt)
adj.
1. Endowed with the power of speech.
2. Composed of distinct, meaningful syllables or words, as human speech.
3. Expressing oneself easily in clear and effective language: an articulate speaker.
4. Characterized by the use of clear, expressive language: an articulate essay.

Winter Solstice
09-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Pretend there're hot coals all over the place except that one part all across the stage. Jump there in a gr!m kvlt br00t4l way and when you get there, there's hot lava everywhere except from the place you came from. Remember, wearing pink panties protect you from the lava, so when you're tired you can rest a little, IF you wear the pink panties. You only have three lives. Then someone plugs out the elektricity.

lespaul1216
09-05-2010, 01:36 PM
after reading the whole thing, this thread has officially raped my brain

UntoExistence
09-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Articulate is used that way to describe someone speaking. Not their typing skills.

ar·tic·u·late (är-tky-lt)
adj.
1. Endowed with the power of speech.
2. Composed of distinct, meaningful syllables or words, as human speech.
3. Expressing oneself easily in clear and effective language: an articulate speaker.
4. Characterized by the use of clear, expressive language: an articulate essay.
you kind of ****ed your argument

lookpizza
09-05-2010, 01:44 PM
you kind of ****ed your argument

No I didn't. He was referring to my typing, not the content of what I typed.

UntoExistence
09-05-2010, 02:01 PM
but i think he was referring to the content of what you were typing.

lookpizza
09-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Well then he should have articulated it better! :mad:

UntoExistence
09-05-2010, 02:13 PM
that i will agree with.

llanafreak44
09-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Sorry guys, I was too drunk :p:

sjones
09-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Crouch really low when there's a breakdown.
....I vow to peg anyone, with anything that can be even remotely used as a projectile, who participates in the douchidity of this Attack Attack! Crabcore bullshit.

(sorry to any fans of that band, I just really, really dispise them)

Going crazy on stage, IMO, is only cool if you can move around while still playing your instrument technically proficient.

llanafreak44
09-05-2010, 04:48 PM
....I vow to peg anyone, with anything that can be even remotely used as a projectile, who participates in the douchidity of this Attack Attack! Crabcore bullshit.

(sorry to any fans of that band, I just really, really dispise them)

Going crazy on stage, IMO, is only cool if you can move around while still playing your instrument technically proficient.

Sarcasm my friend. :peace:

sjones
09-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Sarcasm my friend. :peace:
Yea, I got the sarcasm :peace:

....it's just hard for me to pass up an opportunity to express dislike for Attack Attack.

JxD
09-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I realize this is your opinion, but I would prefer a band to play sloppy but be as engaging as possible with the crowd. Furthermore, I don't think bands should play on stages; they create a disconnect between bands and audience.

Okeefe Is Legit
09-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I realize this is your opinion, but I would prefer a band to play sloppy but be as engaging as possible with the crowd. Furthermore, I don't think bands should play on stages; they create a disconnect between bands and audience.

I agree with all of this.

saxaxe
09-05-2010, 09:12 PM
While I agree with you 100% when discussing hardcore/punk/etc, I think it's VERY dependent on genres. For example, if I were to see Opeth or Clapton or Mos Def or any jazz band etcetc, I'd much rather they play on point on a stage.

Okeefe Is Legit
09-05-2010, 09:42 PM
While I agree with you 100% when discussing hardcore/punk/etc, I think it's VERY dependent on genres. For example, if I were to see Opeth or Clapton or Mos Def or any jazz band etcetc, I'd much rather they play on point on a stage.

symphony floor shows ftw

lookpizza
09-05-2010, 11:57 PM

I'm picturing Huey Lewis playing in the crowd and wishing something like this would happen in my lifetime.

sjones
09-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Don't really agree about the stage point, but I can see, as stated before, a genre based argument on where stage presence becomes a deterrent to the music/band.

More punk/hardcore stuff, I can see the tradeoff. I guess personally I'm into more technical based things, so it's really a trade-off. Just really depends what you're going for musically and presentation-wise.

Winter Solstice
09-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I hate playing on stages. It's so much more fun standing at the same height as the crowd, being able to move freely. Also, people are far more willing to participate in your show when you're not standing on a stage. Like, they'll come closer, sing a long a lot faster, clap their hands during the slow parts and stuff. It's just awesome. I'd pick a basement show with 20 people stacked on top of eachother, being enthused as **** over Wembley stadium any day.

saxaxe
09-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I hate playing on stages. It's so much more fun standing at the same height as the crowd, being able to move freely. Also, people are far more willing to participate in your show when you're not standing on a stage. Like, they'll come closer, sing a long a lot faster, clap their hands during the slow parts and stuff. It's just awesome. I'd pick a basement show with 20 people stacked on top of eachother, being enthused as **** over Wembley stadium any day.
Ditto. Basement shows are pretty much the most fun thing ever.

Adam124
09-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Just try not to look like a jack in the box when you're trying to "rock out"

August burns red and Blessthefall know their shit.

boffen
09-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Only good thing about the lack of hardcore fans in Norway, no hardcore bands are big enough to play at the typical venues so when someone manages to get hardcore bands here they play at really small places.

Edit: I hate it when live shows look like a routine.

Winter Solstice
09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
I guess it's all about the black metal in Norway huh. At least you have Kaospilot and Catena Collapse

scaryfried
09-06-2010, 07:23 PM
small packed venues are so much more fun to play on than stages.

JxD
09-06-2010, 07:34 PM
The only downside of this that I can possibly think of is how hard it gets to breathe sometimes. Also, I played a show a few weeks ago where it got so hot that the floor had condensation on it; it was too slippery to move around. True story.

asator
09-06-2010, 07:36 PM
The only downside of this that I can possibly think of is how hard it gets to breathe sometimes. Also, I played a show a few weeks ago where it got so hot that the floor had condensation on it; it was too slippery to move around. True story.
:haha:

I played a show where the bassist and I were actually struggling to play for the sweat in our hair / eyes and on out guitars - slippy/sticky as hell. And the drummer was literally getting a splash of consensation whenever he hit his snare.

It was rather warm that night, if I remember correctly.

GodofCheesecake
09-07-2010, 12:06 AM
That's gross.

thesceneislame
09-07-2010, 12:23 AM
i guess im the only person that prefers stages.

scaryfried
09-07-2010, 02:26 AM
i guess it depends what kind of stage. like, a massively raised stage is lame as shit unless you're playing to 250+ people. under that maybe an 8 inch stage. i still prefer the atmosphere of the floor though. i think that's one of the reasons why house shows are so much fun.

dpalese
09-07-2010, 08:10 AM
raise you're left leg high, and stomp, going along with the rhythm. if you do it correctly, it looks sweet as shit. and jump, bringing your feet up close to your body. that looks sweet, too.

UntoExistence
09-07-2010, 08:19 AM
i guess it depends what kind of stage. like, a massively raised stage is lame as shit unless you're playing to 250+ people. under that maybe an 8 inch stage. i still prefer the atmosphere of the floor though. i think that's one of the reasons why house shows are so much fun.
house shows are fun. i've played 6 or so.

Andrew/WK
09-07-2010, 08:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y-G75Qfvfg&feature=related

saxaxe
09-07-2010, 08:46 AM
The only downside to not playing on a stage is the lack of stage dives.

PhobiXa
09-07-2010, 09:17 AM

i played a basement in canberra with 4dead and it was probably the best thing ever.
house shows also rule because of beers.

InstantAXonHero
09-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Follow whatever feels right and you'll get the paws of approval!

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/730/33408467870012523501817.jpg (http://img831.imageshack.us/i/33408467870012523501817.jpg/)

JxD
09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
The only downside to not playing on a stage is the lack of stage dives.
This can be solved with strategically placed tables or anything else raised a couple feet off the ground (PA's, peoples backs, exercise trampolines, etc.).

thesceneislame
09-07-2010, 03:48 PM
thats not the same.

UntoExistence
09-07-2010, 03:52 PM
scott vogel would be pissed

onimacaroni
09-07-2010, 03:56 PM
This can be solved with strategically placed tables or anything else raised a couple feet off the ground (PA's, peoples backs, exercise trampolines, etc.).

QFT the last gig my band played there was no stage so people used a couch as a springboard into each other, was interesting!

No stage is well better than playing on one! Well good vibes

saxaxe
09-07-2010, 04:01 PM
True, but very hard in a basement with low ceilings. Hard, but not impossible. I've done it before haha

lookpizza
09-07-2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu_5uWgqfj0

No stage is much better

saxaxe
09-07-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhwI1GHIZY

Amen.

InstantAXonHero
09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
I want to go to a house show, damn my lack of hardcore friends :(

Okeefe Is Legit
09-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I want to go to a house show, damn my lack of hardcore friends :(

I agree. I'd expect being in a big city would expose me to more people with similar music tastes, but I only see Asking Alexandria fanboys here :(

UntoExistence
09-07-2010, 08:21 PM
find your DIY scene. plenty of house shows you probably just don't know about them.

thesceneislame
09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
ive only been to one house show. and because there are no basements in florida, ive never been to a basement show.

Okeefe Is Legit
09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
find your DIY scene. plenty of house shows you probably just don't know about them.

Probably, I just don't know where to look haha. And same here I've only been to house shows.

InstantAXonHero
09-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Well around my area (Bournemouth, UK) the only house shows involve dubstep DJs.

TMF128
09-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Hire somebody to just stand on the stage and "go nuts" while your playing.

You don't have to do it yourself.

Maybe.

Okeefe Is Legit
09-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Well around my area (Bournemouth, UK) the only house shows involve dubstep DJs.

That sounds ****ing awesome. My body kind of hates me for all the raving I did last year though, so I guess it's a good thing there isn't anything like that here (that I know of yet) :haha

jibran
09-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Kill yourself on stage.

InstantAXonHero
09-10-2010, 12:44 AM
That sounds ****ing awesome. My body kind of hates me for all the raving I did last year though, so I guess it's a good thing there isn't anything like that here (that I know of yet) :haha

I'll swap you for a hardcore/pop punk/emo basement show?

Okeefe Is Legit
09-10-2010, 01:19 AM
I'll swap you for a hardcore/pop punk/emo basement show?

ehhh no thanks I'll stick with my actual music :p:

jerry rio
06-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Hilarious parody of all classic rock, punk & indy over the top guitar stage moves all players & fans will relate to.

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of comedy about music and rock and roll on the tube. Well this one’s for you! It’s comedy/reality!

A must see video for all guitarists with a sense of humor. All the inside jokes about those over the top stage moves we all know and love. Whether you can really really play, really suck, are into listening to rock guitar or just want to look better playing air guitar & Guitar Hero….This video is for you!

LEARN HOW TO LOOK LIKE YOU PLAY ROCK GUITAR
http://youtu.be/32QDA5jjLBE

Also check out my other music/comedy videos including the mega popular new post: the “THE INSTITUTE OF DELUSIONAL AUDIO” (the video response is on this page)
Watch this on target parody of those audio engineering schools that guarantee you a job.....nowhere. Loaded with inside jokes for anyone who has an interest in the realities of the art of audio engineering, recording and mixing at pro & home studios. Some really good comments about the current state of the recording industry by people who have worked in it for years.

Check out all my videos, subscribe and please comment. New videos coming to the THYRDEYE CHANNEL here on YouTube. Please join me (Jerry Rio) on Facebook

I have written, recorded & played guitar on the music videos posted. You can read some great reviews and listen to audio clips of all my songs including the recently released Sunrise Highway on my website at

http://songheads.com/

Thanks and enjoy

Jerry Rio

man_suits
06-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Hire somebody to just stand on the stage and "go nuts" while your playing.

You don't have to do it yourself.

That's about crazy enough to actually work.

tancanada
06-20-2011, 11:37 AM
How come all of the worst threads I ever made get necrobumped back to life? :(

blake1221
06-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Because there is a God :)

Also, just copy the bassist from Pierce the Veil.

due 07
06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
What an awesome thread.