Progressive rock/metal/avantgarde [gp5,gp4]

PDA

View Full Version : Progressive rock/metal/avantgarde [gp5,gp4]

Pingis_Or_Death
09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
A new progressive rock/metal/avant-garde or something piece I just finished. I was inspired by some zeuhl prog bands and stuff when I wrote it, so the song's kinda hard to describe. Anyways, check it out!

vIsIbleNoIsE
09-06-2010, 04:21 PM
this is interesting, i don't listen to anything much like this. i liked the first and second sections the most.

i'm curious, how much were you thinking about music theory when you were composing this?

Pingis_Or_Death
09-06-2010, 04:37 PM
this is interesting, i don't listen to anything much like this. i liked the first and second sections the most.

i'm curious, how much were you thinking about music theory when you were composing this?
Nothing really. I compose by ear and experience, since I barely know any music theory at all.

Kirborg
10-06-2010, 06:58 AM
wow really interesting piece. The intro riff sounds kind of cluttered, lots of different instruments at once (though I'll have to say the midi sounds are probably at least partly to blame for that). Bar 10 is really catchy, makes me want to headbang. Bar 14 / 18 are good followups, I really like how you manage to tastefully put all these different instruments to use without it sounding forced or not-natural. Bar 30 is absolutely great I love the ominous feel it gives off. Bar 54 also really cool riff reminds me of Opeth somehow. After that it repeats the first few riffs, but then... there is no end? it just kind of stops mid-riff. It might be beneficial to round it off a bit more with a short outro riff or something.

But I have to say I really like this. It's tastefully composed and every riff flows really good into each other. It is a bit on the short side but not botheringly (is that a word?) so. Only the beginning riff feels like it could use some improvements it sounds a bit disjointed to me, like too many things happening it once. Still I am not an avant-garde fan but I would definitely listen to this if it were recorded so take that as you will!!

juckfush
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM
This reminds me so much of Pin-Up Went Down's '342' album; absolutely incredible. (If you haven't heard them, might I recommend 'Diapositive' to start off with? I think you'll like it, and your first section reminds me a bit of the chorus :p: ).

I really have no complaints about this; I'm loving the use of instruments, the polyphony, the zany melodies, and the overall consistency and cohesiveness is staggering throughout - definitely my favourite by you.
Rhythmically, the drums are written fantastically, the tempo changes actually compliment the music well, rather than detract from the pulse or movement; nicely done!

All in all, I'd love to hear this recorded; there's a quirky charm to it that's hard to come across. Are you planning on adding vocals to this? It's a very solid piece, and a kudos is earned there.

And for the sake of it, could you recommend any bands in a similar style to this, or you've generally been listening to? I love this sort of stuff. Thanks in advance :cheers:

Pingis_Or_Death
10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
This reminds me so much of Pin-Up Went Down's '342' album; absolutely incredible. (If you haven't heard them, might I recommend 'Diapositive' to start off with? I think you'll like it, and your first section reminds me a bit of the chorus :p: ).

I really have no complaints about this; I'm loving the use of instruments, the polyphony, the zany melodies, and the overall consistency and cohesiveness is staggering throughout - definitely my favourite by you.
Rhythmically, the drums are written fantastically, the tempo changes actually compliment the music well, rather than detract from the pulse or movement; nicely done!

All in all, I'd love to hear this recorded; there's a quirky charm to it that's hard to come across. Are you planning on adding vocals to this? It's a very solid piece, and a kudos is earned there.

And for the sake of it, could you recommend any bands in a similar style to this, or you've generally been listening to? I love this sort of stuff. Thanks in advance :cheers:
Thanks. I'd love to record something like this, I'm working on similar pieces right now but I think it'd be quite hard to find appropriate musicians to play it, unless played by different instruments or synths or something. I don't really know any bands which sounds exactly like this, but maybe some Zeuhl prog bands like these ones would be somewhat similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBuV6kNVryQ (one of my favourite songs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68f9cm9WE2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JilgMJPPJyk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqSmqh-LdIk