What kind of music is this?

PDA

View Full Version : What kind of music is this?

Intersensory
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I know the drum track sucks.
I'm terrible with that kind of thing.
The main melody is something that came to me in a dream 2 years ago which I recorded until I found a way to write music.
Anyway, I wonder what kind of music this is genre-wise.
Also, any tips?

WizMystery
09-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Reminds me of doom metal on some parts, but that might be Guitar Pro. Doom tends to be slower and more ambient like this, as well as having a sense of "doom" (doy), but a live record version would make it easier to tell what kind of specific timbre you're going for.

EDIT: This is what it reminded me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEIMHdeT8lI

Intersensory
09-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Reminds me of doom metal on some parts, but that might be Guitar Pro. Doom tends to be slower and more ambient like this, as well as having a sense of "doom" (doy), but a live record version would make it easier to tell what kind of specific timbre you're going for.

Thanks for that.
Any tips on improving it?

WizMystery
09-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks for that.
Any tips on improving it?

Well I kind of like how it is right now, but the drums need a more frequent use. The bars of 8/4 can really be replaced as there is no 8/4 feeling in them. I felt 3/4 and 5/4 in each of them due to the drum patterns, and you generally want to keep a low numerator when you have a slow tempo and "4" bars.

There's a lot of out of chord note choices, but if you'd rather keep the dissonance, ignore them because it gives it a unique feel. Bar 20 and its further reoccurances are one of those moments, can't spot any others. The bass there seems completely out of theme.