Post #12 has final product.

zgbgydug
09-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Just pick one and throw the word alternative in front of it :p:
I like it, it sounds pretty cool

kylendm
09-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Alternative Chromatojent! LOL

Thanks man, It is definitely a bit different haha.

jburde
09-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Whatever it is is ****in' badass :-P

kylendm
09-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Also guys I'm not done with it I just want to know if I should continue?

frankibo
09-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I would say just calling it djent is acceptable enough, or progressive metal i guess. I don't see the fact that it's chromatic should affect the genre.

On the topic of the song, it's ****ing amazing. It's actually a really well rounded song. If this was just an exercise in chromatics and this is how it turned out, then, well, you have a gift.

kylendm
09-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Actually frankibo it happened like this. The first riff of the song I messed up and put a 1 at the end. It was supposed to be a two and I played it anyway lol. From there on I thought the song being pretty chromatic would be cool and different from my super generic metalcore stuff haha.

By the way thanks man! Your a pretty tough critter and knowing you like it knows I did something right haha.

DiminishedFifth
09-11-2010, 11:40 AM
This is really good man. Very Meshuggah-ish. I definitely wouldn't give it it's own genre. It's very much of the djent variety. I can definitely hear some PTH in there and a slight touch of Periphery.

The first guitar lead is... well... fantastic. I love the just... crazy-ness of it. I've never been good at writing stuff like this, so it fascinates me when people do. The section I really don't like are the two bars of claps. That could be something much better.

You'd need a hell of a bassist with a huge-ass bass man! I love how you gave it to the bass though.

Honestly, I think it ends just fine right where it is. It might be a little short, but it's got a great ending.

I think it would be interesting if, the second time you played the chromatic lead, you dropped the rhythm guitar and split it between the two guitars. Like guitar one gets half a measure of the lead, and guitar two gets the other half, while bass and drums carry on with the rhythm.

I have no C4C right now, if you want something in my sig, but that's up to you. If I manage to finish the song I'm working on right now I'll update and ask ;)

Good job man!

EDIT: I've got something for C4C!
A God Given Body (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360939)

kylendm
09-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Hey man thanks for the crit. It's weird because I barely listen to any of them at all. Messuggah never, Periphery once, PTH I had a phase with but it lasted a week haha.

The bassist would have to be on a whole new scale of bassists to play that stuff haha. I also got rid of the claps and put what you though should go in there but I just didn't upload it. Sounds better now, thanks for that.

Thanks for the kind words though. I crited your latest piece.

huevos
09-15-2010, 04:39 AM
I won't be doing much of a crit, but I must applaud for such an audacious song.
My vocab consists of words I learned from King of The Hill, so bare with me.

Anyways, it's a refreshing song in the stuffy djent "genre", given that it's relatively simple.
Good stuff man. It reminds me to not **** up the theme of a song when writing.
Less truly can be more.

EDIT: New Jersey?!? Ah God damn it!
I take back everything I said!

:peace:

kylendm
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM
What's wrong with Jersey! :(

Thanks dude. :)

I can't believe something I just did as bullshit came out pretty good. Maybe I should bullshit more? :haha:

kylendm
10-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Hey guys I just wanted to post the finished product. There's a few changes to the drums and a couple parts were added and changed.

swashbuckle50
10-02-2010, 08:09 PM
bar 32 on was so deadly. not a huge fan of the shreddy bits but real good stuff man

Life Is Brutal
10-02-2010, 08:40 PM
It reminds me a bit of Animals as Leaders, if they got more... More something. :haha:

But its a good thing. :p:

Bar 40 and onward has the kind of AAL feel to it.

Great work, the only thing that might be off on it would be the bass solo at 64, it just happens too fast, and may be too difficult.

If this is C4C, crit my piece here.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1361339

21Fretter
10-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I didn't like the "chorus", just don't feel it fits, but when you went from the chorus back to the main riff (bar 24) that was pretty much the coolest part for me so idk :P

zakatak9389
10-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Hey man sorry it took me so long to get back to you for crittin my newest one, but here goes

Intro starts off pretty dope, really high energy, reminds me of sikth a bit, which is always a plus ;) . Love the slight chromaticism in there.

Transition at bar 5 was a little bland (drum-wise) but it worked fine. I love everything at bar 8, really had a strong jeff loomis vibe to it with the diminished/chromatic goodies in there, great stuff.

Melodic chorus part was kinda meh for me though. It's not that the chord progression is generic(it is but I still like it), it's more that it just sounds uninspired and bland, the execution could be better, in terms of a more tasteful melody, and voicing thse chords differently. Plus adding a new rhythm that grooves a little more and isn't so straightforward would probably help too.

Transition back into the madness at bar 24 worked perfectly haha. Riff at bar 32 was cool, really liked the harmonization you used there, but I felt like the riff was a little too tight, it felt like it wanted to breathe and groove more but it couldn't. Try experimenting with the rhythms there a little more because I really liked the melodic qualities, but the rhythm is holding back the potential sexiness of this riff.

Lead at bar 40 was cool but once again I feel like a more grooving backing rhythm would benefit this part greatly also. It's really not a big deal here though. That being said the lead part was was cool, I liked the sort of start-stopy rhythm and it flowed seamlessly into the chorus.

Bass lead at bar 64 kinda came out of left field haha, but in a good way. I don't think some of it's possible to play though with the notes past the 24th fret and whatnot...but who cares anyways, it's just dumb ole bass haha. Return to the sweeps at bar 68 was nice and I really liked the riff at bar 72, but I think you hold more of the notes instead of playing em in a staccato kind of fashion (5th note in could be an 8th note instead of a 16th note with a 16th note rest afterwards etc). Flow for the rest of the song was fne but I feel like a few more variations here and there would do wonders instead of just copying/pasting stuff. I liked how you ended the song also, I totally didn't expect it, which is a good thing ;)

Overall it's a pretty cool song as it is, but I feel there's room for improvement in plenty of spots. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all or anything I'm just giving my personal opinion on how I think this song could reach it's full potential. I do really like the way you ued chromatics throughout the song, very creative, instea of just running up and down the chromatic scales so bonus points there for sure. Anyways, keep at it man (if you want of course), I really like what you have here so far.

Oh and it's kind of funny that you mention that song breaker in my thread, because I've actually been playing some trivium lately just for kicks and that song was basically a rip on them when I wrote it haha . Back then I used to think all of their material was so genious that I just had to emmulate it. Man, am I glad that I grew out of that phase! :haha:

kylendm
10-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the crit man, I'll take note of what you said for future writings ;). Yeah, Breaker was amazing to me when you wrote it. I thought it was the coolest thing here on UG. I mean it's great now but it really doesn't compete with the stuff you do now. :haha:

Nico the Great
10-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Your bass has 28 frets? What the fuck? :haha: Nice bass solo though. The rhythm during the first few measures really confused me, I didn't know what to think of it. Measure 72 and on is awesome, probably my favorite part. Especially the drums at the later parts. It's a bit confusing over all to my ears, but it's well made. 7/10 I guess?