Why do people think Jimi Hendrix is so good?

PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think Jimi Hendrix is so good?

fradd
09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm trying not to make this a rant or whatever you forum people call it, but why does everyone think Hendrix is soo good?

His guitar playing is all randomish, and stuff. Sure, he makes...interseting....noises with it, but I don't think that makes him good.

Isn't melody and rythym important too?

It's like he just keep tapping the different frets for 5 mins and said to himself, "Now, there's a solo I like! I can't actually think about what would really sound good, so I'll use this." Seriously, there's a lot better solos than his by many artists.

So do you agree with me, or think I'm crazy? And I don't care if you tell me I'm a dumb***, go ahead.

EvoLancer211
09-18-2010, 11:19 PM
You're crazy...no just kidding. I understand what you're aiming for and I agree with you in some aspects, but he was innovative and different for his time that's why he was so good and what not.

sammo_boi
I certainly agree with you. His songs aren't very catchy, sure there are a few memorable riffs and all, but they are damn boring. He can't sing at all, and his solos are mediocre IMO. He isn't the best technical player, and when he plays live his solos sound disgusting.

Care to enlighten us anyone?

kurtebirdi
Most of his fame is attributed to how he presented himself on stage, pre-jimi most music was usually vocal-centric or heavily focusing on a piano, organ, horn, sax, wtfevar. He was one of the first big acts to put a guitar up front and feature it (as far as rock goes). Also, he was like the founding father of epic guitar solos and effect whoring.

supersac
09-18-2010, 11:20 PM
cause he looked cool and inspired many others to play guitar besides the innovative stuff

SGRocker400
09-18-2010, 11:22 PM
id say because he was innovative for his time. *shrug. ive always thought of his stuff as meh. definitely some good stuff, but i say hes overrated

Guitar Sushi
09-18-2010, 11:22 PM
He was innovative. That's it.

Vicious_Turtle
09-18-2010, 11:23 PM
i have thought this for so many years. glad someone finally said it haha

Aturaya
09-18-2010, 11:23 PM
He was one of the first people to go crazy on a guitar, with things like wah, the trem, unorthodox playing, etc.

ethan_hanus
09-18-2010, 11:24 PM
I certainly agree with you. His songs aren't very catchy, sure there are a few memorable riffs and all, but they are damn boring. He can't sing at all, and his solos are mediocre IMO. He isn't the best technical player, and when he plays live his solos sound disgusting.

Care to enlighten us anyone?

It was the 70's dude, live recording equipment consisted of a tape recorder with a mic that's equivalent to a rock band mic.

No, he wasn't that technical player, but it's the way he played, how he played, and what he played. By today's standards its not technical, but in the 70's it was extremely technical. He pretty much revolutionized music as we knew it.

I bet if he were alive today, he would still be impressing the hell out of us.

turncoat60%
09-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Random notes? Ignorance may be the main reason you think he is mediocre.

BitteEinBit1817
09-18-2010, 11:26 PM
You either get it.. or you don't.

I get it.

Some of the best shit I've ever heard.

Solarstar101
09-18-2010, 11:30 PM

this

to each his own opinion

but making a thread on the day of his death saying why people think hes good
your trolling or you dont understand music well enough

(i noticed how its only metallica fans who seem to say jimmy sucks)

SGRocker400
09-18-2010, 11:32 PM
he had soul

offthewall91
09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
:golfclap:

slash4114
09-18-2010, 11:40 PM

Hendrix was an unbelievably talented and innovative rhythm player. Listen to Little Wing and The Wind Cries Mary.

Nirvana_RATM2
09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
I pose you this question. How old are you? You really have to understand what was going PRE-Jimi to grasp why POST-Jimi was so important.

von gelb
09-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waUVu51hF3c

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7v4_XQDisY&feature=related

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2nr_F22Ew8&feature=related

malmsteensolo
09-19-2010, 12:54 AM
He set his guitar on fire. And kept on playing it!!!

ginger5138
09-19-2010, 01:32 AM
The only reason he is good is because he was doing things no one else was doing. He had the best stage presence, and influenced tons of people. He isn't good. He was innovative, and influential. Nothing more.

Jyrgen
09-19-2010, 07:17 AM
In all honesty, I never liked his tone. He could be the most influential/known electric guitar player ever, but that doesn't make him good to me. He did write some great songs but I don't really like him as a guitarist.

CreepingDeath13
09-19-2010, 07:30 AM
i think hes pretty good :shrug:

youeyehat
09-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I've never been a huge fan of Hendrix, but I still understand why he's mostly considered as the greatest ever. It's (as with many artists) a perfect storm... combined with his playing, your have the era he made music, the innovations, and the fact that he died at an early age. I personally have a handful of guitarists I'd probably put ahead of him, but that boils down to my tastes.

MortifiedLizard
09-19-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm trying not to make this a rant or whatever you forum people call it, but why does everyone think Hendrix is soo good?

His guitar playing is all randomish, and stuff. Sure, he makes...interseting....noises with it, but I don't think that makes him good.

It's like he just keep tapping the different frets for 5 mins and said to himself, "Now, there's a solo I like! I can't actually think about what would really sound good, so I'll use this." Seriously, there's a lot better solos than his by many artists.

So do you agree with me, or think I'm crazy? And I don't care if you tell me I'm a dumb***, go ahead.
The way you described his playing might work for a few of his songs but you need to actually listen to his music dude. He did a lot of RnB stuff that had plenty of melody and rhythm, very concise and standard, etc. His heavier songs were the foundation of rock music as we know it.

What you're saying really only works if all you've listened to is Star Spangled Banner and Wild Thing....

LutRes
09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
You might not like his songs but Hendrix changed rock music at the time and pioneered many popular techniques. That's why he is considered the greatest.

Zoot Allures
09-19-2010, 02:23 PM
It was the 70's dude, live recording equipment consisted of a tape recorder with a mic that's equivalent to a rock band mic.

No, he wasn't that technical player, but it's the way he played, how he played, and what he played. By today's standards its not technical, but in the 70's it was extremely technical. He pretty much revolutionized music as we knew it.

I bet if he were alive today, he would still be impressing the hell out of us.
This is so so so not true. Lots of mics from the 70s and even from the 50s are sought after by studios today. Most modern mics are actually based off older designs.

A lot of old recordings in the 70s sound amazing. Far better than a lot of todays overcompressed over processed stuff

Also, the live vids that sound bad are probably sounding bad because you're hearing them on youtube which is low quality anyway and they've come from a decaying VHS.

ethan_hanus
09-19-2010, 03:10 PM
This is so so so not true. Lots of mics from the 70s and even from the 50s are sought after by studios today. Most modern mics are actually based off older designs.

A lot of old recordings in the 70s sound amazing. Far better than a lot of todays overcompressed over processed stuff

Also, the live vids that sound bad are probably sounding bad because you're hearing them on youtube which is low quality anyway and they've come from a decaying VHS.

No, I actually have alot of rare live tracks of some of Jimi Hendrix's concerts, my Uncle is a producer of commercials so he has alot of this kind of stuff.

I couldn't tell you what the exact concerts are, cause he burned the CD's for me.

The quality is not all that great, and even though what you say is prolly true, a lot of the modern equipment that is replicated from the old stuff is built with better materials and with better technology.

I do agree that some of the stuff out of the 70's sounded awesome, but Jimi's recordings weren't really up to par. I know he tracked every song over 150 times to get it to sound perfect, since a lot of his playing is improv, but I don't think they made use of double tracking since I don't think they knew about it back then.

MortifiedLizard
09-19-2010, 04:39 PM
No, I actually have alot of rare live tracks of some of Jimi Hendrix's concerts, my Uncle is a producer of commercials so he has alot of this kind of stuff.

I couldn't tell you what the exact concerts are, cause he burned the CD's for me.

The quality is not all that great, and even though what you say is prolly true, a lot of the modern equipment that is replicated from the old stuff is built with better materials and with better technology.

I do agree that some of the stuff out of the 70's sounded awesome, but Jimi's recordings weren't really up to par. I know he tracked every song over 150 times to get it to sound perfect, since a lot of his playing is improv, but I don't think they made use of double tracking since I don't think they knew about it back then.
I'm pretty sure The Beatles employed the technique quite a bit actually.

Zoot Allures
09-19-2010, 05:10 PM

Well tracks that have just been taken from the concert won't be that great because i'm guessing they havn't ever seen a studio.

Hendrix's CD releases didn't sound that great but i put that down to him being too high to know what he was doing at the desk :p

irweojhy903!ier
09-19-2010, 05:19 PM
He was insanely innovative

Sure lots of people can cover a Hendrix song or try to mimic him .... he was the 1st to do it

He made the guitar cool. If he would of played the maracas 1/2 of us would be on a maraca forum right now

BrainDamage
09-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow, tough crowd.

The only thing I have to say about this is the following (which I have to credit to the friend of a friend of the user boldaslove1977 on TheGearPage):

"Before Hendrix, the guitar was like black and white TV. After Hendrix...suddenly we had color."

***CLOSED***

:)