28 scale vs 30 scale

PDA

View Full Version : 28 scale vs 30 scale

PantallicaFreak
09-22-2010, 09:58 PM
i plan on getting an 8 string guitar, but im thinking about getting a 30 scale, but theres a 28 scale i really really like (ive never played either just seen), my question is, is there that big of a difference between a 28 and a 30 and if so, what?

thanks,
scott

smartalec007
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I've never actually seen a 30" scale guitar, let alone a 30" scale 8 string. The 28" scale should be fine, combined with appropriately thick strings.

r0ckth3d34n
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Besides two inches? Tension.

The 30 scale would be for even lower tunings. I'd say that the 28 scale is meant more for the standard tuning of an 8 stringer. I want to say that a lot of people say it's pretty muddy and too lose for an 8 string guitar... I'm not totally sure.

Ackj
09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I've always thought higher scales were better for playing with low tunings, so 30 would most likely be better. Also, I've got big fingers, so the spacing is better on higher scales for me. If you've got tiny fingers, the shorter scale might be better.

That said, I've never played extended range (extra string) guitars; I have 6-string guitars with 26" scale and 24" scale and prefer the spacing on the 26.

conor1148
09-22-2010, 10:25 PM
id go with a 28. i have wide fingers and i feel anything about 28 is going to feel like a bass.

i think, if going for 8 string, i'd probably do a 26.5 or a 27. or even better, a 25-27 multiscale! mmmmm :haha:

any specific guitars you're looking into?

edit- my sourcing is from my 12 string tapper. its 26.5 to 30. spreading for the 30 side feels weird. like i completely couldnt get adjusted to it ever.

r0ckth3d34n
09-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I think he's talking about the Schecter Hellcat. That's the only guitar I can come up with that has a 30 inch scale, and it's tuned a full octave blow E standard.

But it's also just a 6 string guitar...

PantallicaFreak
09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
no im looking at Agile guitars

http://www.rondomusic.com/intrepiddual830ebchar.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorpro828ebtribalgreen.html

i heard they were really good guitars :) and ive heard them played before they sound great and they get great reviews

jpnyc
09-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Some people tune the low end of an eight-string down to a low E or play in drop-E tunies. For that a 30" scale would be helpful.

shaggydogJV
09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
At this point in scale length, it's really about how low you want to tune down. If you're going to pull a Fredrik Thorendal and tune to drop Bb, the 30" is what you want to go with. Otherwise, the 28" is going to be just fine dropped to an E or Eb, and depending on your string gauges, you may even get lower than that.

connorhxcchaos
09-22-2010, 11:50 PM
If youre not going to be dropping down past E then you will be fine with a 28 inch scale.
If youre gonna drop further then I'd go the 30 inch.
Ive got a 26.5inch 8 stringer, It can only just deal with going down to E, any further and it just sounds terrible.

connorhxcchaos
09-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Also, It may help if you post this in the 7/ERG Legion thread, they are always happy to help.
Link is in my sig.

SYLrules88
09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
the space between the frets is quite noticeably larger on my 28 5/8" intrepid than a normal 25.5" scale guitar. ive come to like it but i dont think i would be able to enjoy a 30" scale. maybe go to a local music store and try some well known guitar licks on a bass just to see if the extra space between the frets is really going to mess you up. some people hate it and others dont seem to mind one bit :shrug:

as far as quality goes, i can definitely say these things are built really well. my intrepid has an ash body which looks nice, and that plus the longer scale length means it sustains forever. it stays in tune better than any other guitar ive owned. the stock pickups are pretty damn good, and thats a huge plus seeing as how there arent many options as far as 8 string passive upgrades go, and lundgrens and BKPs arent exactly cheap for us americans.

the gauges i currently have on there now are D'addario 09-11-16-26-36-46-66-80 and i keep it down 1/2 step (the 7th and 8th are Bb and F). i just dropped the 8th to Eb and it was BARELY tight enough to be comfortable for me. D was looser than id ever play it with. by the way, this 80 is a string with a normal sized ball. the biggest that other major brands make is 74 unless you go with gary goodman strings, but i hear those can get expensive. personally i wouldnt recommend using bass strings as they cost more when bought individually, and the one time i tried it on my 7 string, it was dull as shit. dont know if i got a bad string or if all bass strings are going to be lacking the sharp attack required for elec guitar, but i wont be doing that again.

so basically, if you are dead set on going lower than Eb, I'd recommend the 30". but like i said, see what licks you can play on a bass, and if you dont think the extra space between the frets will seriously impede you, then go for it.

hope this helps. any more questions about these guitars or anything else ERG related? :)

EDIT: just to further entice you, here's a photo of mine. the grain really shows up well! this one is actually suppost to be the grayish black "charcoal" finish but as you see its more of a brown. i love it nonetheless! unlike some other brands, agile guitars really do look as detailed in person as they do in their websites photos.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/piglatin0809/intrepid/IMG_2703.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/piglatin0809/intrepid/IMG_2707.jpg

PantallicaFreak
09-24-2010, 06:23 AM
this really helped out alot thanks man i think im really gunna have to get one of these beasts haha

the space between the frets is quite noticeably larger on my 28 5/8" intrepid than a normal 25.5" scale guitar. ive come to like it but i dont think i would be able to enjoy a 30" scale. maybe go to a local music store and try some well known guitar licks on a bass just to see if the extra space between the frets is really going to mess you up. some people hate it and others dont seem to mind one bit :shrug:

as far as quality goes, i can definitely say these things are built really well. my intrepid has an ash body which looks nice, and that plus the longer scale length means it sustains forever. it stays in tune better than any other guitar ive owned. the stock pickups are pretty damn good, and thats a huge plus seeing as how there arent many options as far as 8 string passive upgrades go, and lundgrens and BKPs arent exactly cheap for us americans.

the gauges i currently have on there now are D'addario 09-11-16-26-36-46-66-80 and i keep it down 1/2 step (the 7th and 8th are Bb and F). i just dropped the 8th to Eb and it was BARELY tight enough to be comfortable for me. D was looser than id ever play it with. by the way, this 80 is a string with a normal sized ball. the biggest that other major brands make is 74 unless you go with gary goodman strings, but i hear those can get expensive. personally i wouldnt recommend using bass strings as they cost more when bought individually, and the one time i tried it on my 7 string, it was dull as shit. dont know if i got a bad string or if all bass strings are going to be lacking the sharp attack required for elec guitar, but i wont be doing that again.

so basically, if you are dead set on going lower than Eb, I'd recommend the 30". but like i said, see what licks you can play on a bass, and if you dont think the extra space between the frets will seriously impede you, then go for it.

hope this helps. any more questions about these guitars or anything else ERG related? :)

EDIT: just to further entice you, here's a photo of mine. the grain really shows up well! this one is actually suppost to be the grayish black "charcoal" finish but as you see its more of a brown. i love it nonetheless! unlike some other brands, agile guitars really do look as detailed in person as they do in their websites photos.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/piglatin0809/intrepid/IMG_2703.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/piglatin0809/intrepid/IMG_2707.jpg

Youri
09-24-2010, 03:39 PM
TLDR? ;

28inch would require a higher string gauge to reach the tension of a 30inch with a lower string gauge.

2inches longer

Thicker string gauges means that you need to bend less to reach the same pitch of a lower string gauge.

But imo 30is more for a 9er if you need the lenght to tune that low.

Have fun 'djenting!'