[GP5] New Year.

PDA

View Full Version : [GP5] New Year.

Grovermans
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
This is the shortest thing I've written in a long time, and that's only because it started as a lyrical acoustic song. I think it turned out pretty well though. It's nowhere near as complex as most other things I've written, but I don't think it would really work if it were. The only part of it that I'm not too sure about is the prelude, which was never part of the original song; I added it because I felt that it didn't start smoothly enough. Also, please try to listen to it in RSE. I used almost all jazz guitars, so if you listen in MIDI, there will be no distortion or anything when there should be, and the levels will be all off.

Anyway. The whole thing revolves around the lyrics, so I'll divide them into headings that match up with the sections in the file so you can get an idea of where they go.

VERSE:
a year ago today, i was vomiting up
everything that had weighed me down over the past
three hundred and sixty five days,
but this year, i feel strange;

CHORUS:
i keep my pain pinned to my lapelle,

VERSE:
but it's not out of pride that i hold it so close;
i've tried many times to just let it go,
but the anguish remains chained

CHORUS:
to my chest, never leaving the back of my brain,
no matter how hard i push it away.
so i drink to remember why i'm trying to forget
that a new year brought in with blood means shit without
a heart to pump it through my weary veins.

VERSE:
oh, this year, i didn't vomit;
i held down the past
three hundred and sixty five days,
leaving them to rest,

CHORUS:
heavy as boulders,
in the bottom of my stomach, where they remain
memories that never seem to decay.

prevenge178
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
i bow down before thee o great composer... and to thou only one word seems sufficient: AWESOME!!!!

Carl_Berg
09-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Dude, that is an excellent composition! This shows a lot of creativity and talent! I especially like the way you use open chords to create a dreamy atmosphere. Bravo!

Grovermans
09-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys. If you want to check out my last piece (a 50-minute concept album), you can check it out here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352277).

Section 5
10-01-2010, 12:02 PM
That's...really, really good. Really nice.

Grovermans
10-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Thank you kindly.