[GP4, GP5, MID] Untitled Rock Instrumental C4C

PDA

View Full Version : [GP4, GP5, MID] Untitled Rock Instrumental C4C

guitar ben94
10-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Hello T&C,

This is a Rock Instrumental I found on my computer from quite a while ago. I've changed it a bit and decided to post it on here.

I think it can get a bit repetitive maybe, but I think sometimes it doesn't matter too much. I don't know. What do people think?

Thanks. And C4C.

Deep*Kick
10-07-2010, 05:01 AM
I'd suggest breaking the straight up down of those sweep arpeggios, try to come up with some other variations sliding to different positions and take them in different directions rather than just all the way up and then all the way down.
I'm not much of a song writer myself but it did get a little repetitive and i sort of tuned out after a while.

ihavenoname93
10-07-2010, 05:14 AM
^took the words right out of my mouth.

it wasnt bad, but having the same chord progression the whole way through gets a little stale after a while

Julz127
10-11-2010, 07:05 AM
OK well this sort of thing is very difficult to crit cause really there's nothing to crit about it, I guess it's not bad... as such, anyway I wan't a C4C so I'll try. :D

As you said, yes it is too repetitive, waaaay to repetitive. Now this isn't strictly a bad thing, lots of brilliant songs have been written which use the same chords all the way though. Take Dammit, by blink 182, you can argue up and down about how much they suck but they pretty much rocked all the way through the late 90's and all the cool kids listened them in primary school. Anyway, this song uses the chords C G A F all the way through, what makes it good is how they've used different styles and strumming patterns to make it sound different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0g16_LQaQ&ob=av3e

A lot of 'post-rock' bands will often write a song where they basically take one idea and slowly build on it with loads of instrumental layers etc... I'm guessing you're not really into that however.

What I would suggest is to pick up your guitar, start playing the rhythm chords and just jam, let your 'imagination' run free. (I know that sounds lame), it works, before you know it, you'll probably end up with a chorus and some riffs. Which brings me to my second point, and a nice segue.

The song has pretty much no structure, now I know challenging the accepted definitions of music is all the rage with the metal kids nowadays, but structure is good, you don't have to have a verse-chorus-repeat thing, 'sections' are a good thing.

Finally, get rid of the sweep picking, it sounds like crap, although it makes a nice sine curve across the screen. :)

C4C, in my Sig.