Technical metalcore/deathcore intro...

PDA

View Full Version : Technical metalcore/deathcore intro...

BigBigWater
10-07-2010, 06:44 AM
(Not really any deathcore side anymore, that part of my normal writing never showed up, so disregard that. OOPS.)

Me again finallyyy. Just looking for some feedback on about 30 seconds of stuff I threw together a few hours ago. It's technical metalcore-ish, I guess, as the title says. I originally had Born Of Osiris in my head when writing but it turned out nothing like them, more of a Protest The Hero-ish thing.

Anyways, all feedback is appreciated, link something of yours and I'll try to get around to critting for you as well.

Thanks.

Edit 1: Added quite a few more sections. Note that obviously the stuff after the silence in the end isn't included as is, I just put random ideas and things I try at the end when writing.

Also, realized I still haven't added bass, so I'll hopefully do that before my next version. I don't know how to write percussion correctly, as well, so don't critique that too hard on me. ;P

Edit 2: Oh snap, apparently my updated version didn't save when I just uploaded so I reuploaded the old one. /derp

krvolok
10-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Technical in 4/4 with pretty standard rhythms? Yeah...

BigBigWater
10-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Technical in 4/4 with pretty standard rhythms? Yeah...
Technically doesn't mean you need odd signatures... People consider everyone in Dream Theater to be the most technically proficient musicians of modern times but they very often remain in keeping things in 4/4 and using basic rhythms. Technical just often refers to the parts just being demanding to play.

Complex signatures and all for me falls more under being progressive or (though a stupid name) mathcore and such.

None the less, to each their own. Thanks for a response at all.

krvolok
10-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Hm,Nile.And actually thats the point of technical(metal), rapid changes of time signatures tempo and complex rhythmic figures.

krvolok
10-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Check out
Nile-Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks Form He Who Is In The Water

DaddyTwoFoot
10-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Hm,Nile.And actually thats the point of technical(metal), rapid changes of time signatures tempo and complex rhythmic figures.
No, it's not. Technical means it's difficult to play. Joe Satriani's music is technical, and is largely simple 4/4 rock beats. Try actually critting next time.

Very catchy. A bit happy sounding though. :haha: I really liked the beginning.

BigBigWater
10-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Very catchy. A bit happy sounding though. :haha: I really liked the beginning.
Yeah, I realized I had completely 100% stayed in major key, mostly revolving around the root of it, too. Not something I particularly mind having done though, seeing as I got a little more out of the box with the new additions. Thanks for the response. ;D

(yeah, that means I uploaded a new version with quite a few more parts)

benonbass1
10-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Love the intro riff, especially the switch in rhythms on the last bars.
The next riff is really catchy, in fact a lot of it is very catchy, due to the really happy tonality.

I particularly like the transition at bar 31 and the following section. As it is slightly less melodic it changes in tonality which is a good change up.

The last section is cool, definitely need to finish this.

Erm critwise, I don't have much to say really, except get some bass in it to add another level, and that it doesn't really have anything to hold on to, as it's quite erratic.

Cheers for the crit btw :)

Eastwinn
10-09-2010, 03:36 PM
If you were going for happy.. well you did it. But if you were looking for brutal then you missed the mark.

BigBigWater
10-09-2010, 05:00 PM
If you were going for happy.. well you did it. But if you were looking for brutal then you missed the mark.
To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure if I was going for any specific 'mood' here. I understand that's very wrong to most people, haha...