The official GNR thread, all GNR stuff here!

PDA

View Full Version : The official GNR thread, all GNR stuff here!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Asomodai
09-23-2004, 07:32 PM
OK after lots of abuse throwing at me ;) i have decided to make this thread. if any other threads are made about GNR , they will be closed and the thread starter will be warned and if happens again banned. :)

Rob

bangoodcharlote
09-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Ok, to start this out, who sings Don't Cry?

Four-Sticks
09-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Also who is that REALLY low voice that you hear in a bunch of songs? Is that Axl? If so he is probably the worst singer I have ever heard who had such a huge range vocally.

bangoodcharlote
09-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Which songs have the low voice?

dyingforwhat
09-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Ok bangoodcharlotte, Shannon Hoon sang Don't Cry with Axl.
Four-sticks, that is Axl using the low voice, and some good songs with it are Sweet Child of Mine and It's So Easy.
And now the big shocking question!:eek:
Slash's tophat( :headbang: ) or Buckethead's...well... bucket?

bangoodcharlote
09-23-2004, 09:33 PM
I meant during the verses, not the high part during the chorus.

By the way, there is only 1 t in my name.

dyingforwhat
09-24-2004, 04:57 PM
My mistake about the name, sorry.
Anyways, in It's So Easy, Axl does use that low voice, and just a bit in Sweet Child of Mine. Those are pretty much the only songs I know that he's used the low voice in.

Resiliance
09-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Yes!

Thank you Asomodai.

About time too

:p:

AngilasGuy
09-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Resiliance
Yes!

Thank you Asomodai.

About time too

:p:
:cheers:
I am soooo relieved that this topic finally got started, thanks much Asomodai!

refusedparty
09-25-2004, 05:38 PM
QUESTION: Is Buckethead's KFC bucket used or clean? I imagine he would be quite greasy after a session with that on...finger lickin good though.

Marton
09-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Patience(Lies), and Mr Brownstone(AFD), are both great examples of songs where Axl sings in his low voice pretty much through the entire song. Also, in Its so Easy it IS Axl singing the entire time. I actually like his low voice, its a little weird but its still pretty cool.

AirGuitarist87
09-26-2004, 03:44 PM
I always thought it was Izzy singing throughout Patience. And they added that bit at the end with Axl's voice ("The streets don't change but maybe their names") so he didn't feel left out or somethin.

Encore_God
09-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by AirGuitarist87
I always thought it was Izzy singing throughout Patience. And they added that bit at the end with Axl's voice ("The streets don't change but maybe their names") so he didn't feel left out or somethin.

Patience was Axl throughout.

Axl had a fantastic bottom end to his voice.

Izzy sings 14 Years, Dust N Bones, Double Talkin Jive and a couple of others, Duff sings some stuff on So Fine...they varied it out a bit.

Mattman22255577
09-27-2004, 07:35 PM
first off... finally GNR have their place!!!

Also, Axl does a lot of the low singing and i think it is some of his better stuff.

But I am also glad that it isnt just axl that does the singing. I like bands with diversity.

sir_john
09-28-2004, 04:33 PM
just one question: what amp and effects did slash use mainly?

and what was the model of guitar(s) he used on appetite for destruction (and dont say it was a les paul, because i know that but i wanna know what exact type it was)

thanks love me :cheers:

sir_john
09-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Weebl
He has a signature Les Paul, he uses a Marshall amp and has a crybaby wah, thats all i know he has.....

his signature les paul has only recently of come out, so how can he of used it on appetite?
dumb ass

spookykid_6000
10-01-2004, 06:42 AM
If you go into the classical rock forum, you'll see at least 2 gnr threads on the first page, and if you go into the modern rock forum, you'll see Steve has made a thread saying that any GnR threads will be closed from now on. Now I come here to find that the Shred forum has also been subject to an overload of GnR threads. So what genre does this outrageously popular band fall into?

sixteen times
10-01-2004, 10:41 AM
well that was unnessecary, i was only trying to help
cunt

and it was a gibson les paul premium plus

and calling me a cunt wasnt unnessecary? :rolleyes:

:no:

phantom lord363
10-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by spookykid_6000
If you go into the classical rock forum, you'll see at least 2 gnr threads on the first page, and if you go into the modern rock forum, you'll see Steve has made a thread saying that any GnR threads will be closed from now on. Now I come here to find that the Shred forum has also been subject to an overload of GnR threads. So what genre does this outrageously popular band fall into?

Yeah i would've thought they were not shred by any means, i would say they are probably Rock....maybe Classic Rock.......but hey what do i know?

Anyway earlier today i fealt like learnin the Godfather theme but is there any recordings of it that slash has done in the studio i.e not live, coz the tab is quite different to the version of it ive got or does he only play it live?

AirGuitarist87
10-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Encore_God
Izzy sings 14 Years, Dust N Bones, Double Talkin Jive and a couple of others, Duff sings some stuff on So Fine...they varied it out a bit.

Well Duff wrote So Fine so it only seemed fair :p:
Also I heard somehwere that Slash sings in one of the later GnR songs, which one was it?

BC516208
10-01-2004, 08:16 PM
you've got to admit when CHIdem comes out slash will still be doing better with VR

Slash IS GnR!!!!!!!

Marton
10-01-2004, 10:30 PM
^ I dont think so, Axl was more important to GNR. He wrote all the songs and he also had a great voice.

Yeah, Slash is a great guitar player but there were so many great guitarists in the 80's. I dont even know of one song he wrote for them.
I think Chinese Democracy will be huge. It cant be but so bad if Rose spent ten years working on it.

GnFnR
10-02-2004, 09:17 PM
wuts duffs anmp setting i couldnt find it out anywhere?

guitar_freak38
10-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by sir_john
just one question: what amp and effects did slash use mainly?

and what was the model of guitar(s) he used on appetite for destruction (and dont say it was a les paul, because i know that but i wanna know what exact type it was)

thanks love me :cheers:

As was stated by guitar one magazine, for AFD, Slash used a les paul knock-off, i don't recall who by though.

Wes Arkeen[R.I.P.] also wrote a large percentage of GN'R lyrics

Slash co-wrote Get In The Ring and a few others. he mostly stuck to guitar lines

Duff sings "attitude" as well as plays rhythm guitar on "patience"
that's all i can think of for now

guitar_freak38

Civil_War
10-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by BC516208
you've got to admit when CHIdem comes out slash will still be doing better with VR

Slash IS GnR!!!!!!!

Slash is only half of Gnr. you cant have a gnr without slash, but you cant have one without axl either. now if they got back together *drools* hghhhh

but that will never happen :(

sixteen times
10-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Civil_War

i know :sad:

bangoodcharlote
10-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Slash is only half of Gnr. you cant have a gnr without slash, but you cant have one without axl either. now if they got back together *drools* hghhhh

You can't have GnR without Izzy Either.

ZepHedJack
10-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Marton
I think Chinese Democracy will be huge. It cant be but so bad if Rose spent ten years working on it.

Well here's a good question. What does everyone anticipate from Chinese Democracy?

I think it'll be a great album, but, I think it's also going to be not what everyone is expecting. There are going to be loads of people thinking that this is going to be Appetite for Destruction II, and will be mistaken.

I'll buy it when (and if) it comes out

Civil_War
10-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by bangoodcharlote
You can't have GnR without Izzy Either.

Izzy did play a big part, but he was replaceable

Rikifeld
10-05-2004, 06:03 PM
GN'R was complete only with full band...
Including Izzy, Axl and Slash.
Wheather you like all of ther or only
one of them - I think you all agree that
they all made a great band that will never
come back...
They gave what's best of them and that is
the way it should be! Enjoy those 5 albums!! ;)

bangoodcharlote
10-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Izzy did play a big part, but he was replaceable
Um, no.

sixteen times
10-07-2004, 02:34 PM
bangoodcharlotte, check ur pms

dyingforwhat
10-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Nah, in its so easy thats duff, although i think it may be both of them, and in SCOM its duff and izzy then you can hear axl singing higher over them.

Actually in live concerts such as Live at the Ritz, New York '88, you can see quite clearly that only Axl provides the low voice. In Sweet Child of Mine at the Ritz, Izzy and Duff had a higher voice and didn't produce any pitch that you could consider low. It is Axl then who's singing on SCOM and It's so Easy.

Civil_War
10-08-2004, 10:59 AM
no duff does sing in the album version on SCO'M

Marton
10-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Has anyone heard the song Coma? Its the last song on UYI, I think its one of their better songs and nobody ever talks about it.

bangoodcharlote
10-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Coma is a great song.

phantom lord363
10-11-2004, 02:59 PM
I dont think chinese democracy is gunna be that good......axl can't sing anymore really..........

Hey! how funny does axl look with all the platic surgery ****!

apparently Guns N' Roses have a new guitarist (but this is comming from some1 i know who is a very unreliable source of info)

TUMFP
10-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Chinese Democracy will most definitly be different but also awesome I believe...........w/out the time era, same musicians, they wont produce the same hard rock in your face attitude as other albums........... and Axl may be an asshole from we've all heard but he is an amazing musician

bean-o
10-13-2004, 01:52 AM
Anyone else notice that as soon as they lost Izzy, the band went downhill... Ive heard some of the Chinese Democracy stuff, its not to bad. But it aint the same, to many sound effects and keyboard stuff.

sixteen times
10-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Is it "techno"?

bangoodcharlote
10-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by bean-o
Anyone else notice that as soon as they lost Izzy, the band went downhill... Ive heard some of the Chinese Democracy stuff, its not to bad. But it aint the same, to many sound effects and keyboard stuff.
Yes. Izzy makes GnR.

dyingforwhat
10-14-2004, 07:35 PM

I read somewhere Steven Adler was influential in writing songs too, its too bad they fired him.
Anyways, Axl should just start a new band. G'n'R had their heyday but Axl ruined by getting a hugeass ego.

Marton
10-14-2004, 07:52 PM
How have you been able to hear it?

Blackbullet
10-16-2004, 07:51 AM
GNR was great becuase of all of them- not just slash, not just axl made the band, the band made the band. Take any of them out and its just not the same.

I dont know EXACTLY what Slash uses but in simple terms: A les Paul, marshall amp/speakers, overdrive of some sort and wahh basically. He also likes to use that tube thing- i dont know what it is called but he uses it on 'anything goes' and it sounds tight- switching from just the guitar to a mix of both and then back again.

Does anyone know what this device is called??
Its like a tube alongside a mic and you like 'breathe' into it to make synth-like sounds- its kinda hard to describe but does anyone get what i mean and know what it is called?? :confused:

bangoodcharlote
10-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Talkbox.

Metalology
10-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by sir_john
his signature les paul has only recently of come out, so how can he of used it on appetite?
dumb ass

An artist can have there own signature guitar before it is available to the market :peace:

brough
10-18-2004, 10:59 PM
I downloaded a video music awards thing in 2002 . Got it from Kaaza.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
10-20-2004, 11:19 PM
i think chinese democracy will be ok, but in no way do i see it topping older GN'R. even velvet revolver may do better than chinese democracy.
i will probably end up buying just because i want to see what they came up with after a decade.

and i dont know if anyone else noticed, but on another site someone made a comment that i found amusing.....it was that if chinese democracy is released in 2005, then it would be 14 years since guns n roses made a real album (spaghetti incident doesnt count cause izzy was gone already).....and we will see if the quote from the song 14 years "dont get back 14 years, in just one day" will come true or not......just an amusing little anecdote there

sixteen times
10-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Metalology
An artist can have there own signature guitar before it is available to the market :peace:

Not 20 years before :haha

bangoodcharlote
10-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Guns n Roses aren't 20 years old. If they were, we wouldn't have the Shred Forum.

sixteen times
10-21-2004, 04:35 PM
(t'was a slight exaduration)

bean-o
10-23-2004, 12:02 PM
is there a song that Izzy Stradlin leads or solos in? or is it always Slash?

ź├Fire¤nside╗
10-23-2004, 06:02 PM
^ i think in estranged izzy does a few of the fill ins/solo, as in the uyiII booklet it says they both do rhthym and lead, though i am unsure of who does which part. all it says is

slash - lead and rythym guitars
izzy - rythym and lead guitars

besides that from what i remember or know its all slash

grave
10-23-2004, 06:32 PM
they should have included estranged in the greatests hits cuz i would have bought it if they did

ź├Fire¤nside╗
10-23-2004, 06:34 PM
^ ya thats one of the main reasons i didnt buy it....it just seems incomplete without it

canucksrule
10-31-2004, 04:43 AM

I think he may have been the lead on "Pretty Tied Up", as he wrote the song and I remember seeing it.

vaishredder
11-02-2004, 11:12 PM
The only song with duff singing is Attitude , its so easy is axl and all the other songs are axl , axl is just like 1 of the best singers ever so he has such a big range

bean-o
11-03-2004, 11:36 PM
COME ON PEOPLE TALK!!! hmmm new subject.... who would you say was the ugliest gunner? (i rated in a completely non-homosexual way) I would say Slash and Axl tie for worst looking(no offense to Slash) then Steven Adler then Matt, then Duff and Izzy tie for least ugly. Im not saying they look bad...cus they look SOOOOO cool.

masterbasser89
11-04-2004, 07:00 PM
would you want to go see guns nowadays? even though they dont have most of the original members

Marton
11-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Slash looks pretty weird.

bangoodcharlote
11-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by masterbasser89
would you want to go see guns nowadays? even though they dont have most of the original members
Izzy left. There is no more GnR.

Marton
11-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Was Mr. Brownstone a single?

mid46531
11-06-2004, 12:24 AM

The band started going downhill after they fired Steven, that's when Axl's dominance of the band was apparently cemented. Izzy said in an interview after leaving the band that the songs sounded terrible without Steve, and that he made a big musical difference. I think the full interview is available at heretodaygonetohell.com.

mid46531
11-06-2004, 12:45 AM
The only song i know of with a moment when izzy plays lead and slash plays rhythm is Nightrain, Izzy plays for about 20 seconds to start off the solo, then Slash takes over for the rest of the song:p: Izzy doesnt seem that interested in lead, he is a Keith Richards worshipper. It seems thats why they worked well together in the band, at least at first.

Anyways people keep asking about Slash's setup, here's what I know:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Pauls (mostly sunburst Standards and Standard Plus's, mostly with 50's necks i believe)
Guild Doubleneck
BC Rich Mockingbird (mainly for "You Could Be Mine")
Gibson SG Doubleneck
Travis Bean guitar for slide playing (as on Bad Obsession)

Amplifiers:
He originally used a limited-production Marshall 2555 Jubilee amp, after GNR became superstars Marshall brought the amp back into production in the form of the JCM Slash signature amp, Marshall's first-ever signature amp. He has used that amp exclusively ever since, with Marshall cabinets.

Effects:
Dunlop DCR-1SR Rackmount Wah
Dunlop Heil Talkbox
not much else
Equalizer for lead boost etc

Izzy played a Les Paul standard and other Gibson classic instruments (ES 135 especially), and Duff plays Fender basses through Gallien-Krueger amps

Cpt Crunch
11-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Why is everyone like "Izzy WAS G'NR"...?
I dont think you guys are giving Gilby Clarke enough credit. come on....

with that being said, Slash, Duff, and Izzy had such a chemistry between them..something you can't replace. They worked incredibly well together and they aren't the same without each other...
I once heard someone talk about how GnR was such a good band because the sum of their parts was greater than they ever could be individually, and I think to an extent, that is true.

I'm looking forward to Chinese Democracy, cause it HAS to be a good album. Velvet Revolver's "Contraband" was a decent record, and there were parts I liked more than others.

mid46531
11-09-2004, 01:12 AM
^^The thing about the sum of the parts is very true. Izzy Stradlin likely wrote the majority of GNRs music while he was in the band, as well as many lyrics and some entire songs. Overall he was probably a much more competent musican than Slash, although much less of a virtuoso. He has continued to release rock albums since GNR, although he does not seem interested in becoming mainstream. Gilby Clarke, on hte other hand, was a hired musican, and soon after the UYI, a fired musician. If you look on jacket of the Live Era CD, it lists the AFD lineup plus Gilby and then says "additional musicians Gilby Clarke and Matt Sorum"
Izzy Rock On!!!!

Marton
11-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Izzy is by far my favorite rhythum guiatrist of all time, but he wasnt more important to GnR than Axl.

canucksrule
11-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by vaishredder
The only song with duff singing is Attitude , its so easy is axl and all the other songs are axl , axl is just like 1 of the best singers ever so he has such a big range

Ahem, there is one called "So Fine" that Duff sang. So anyways, has anyone seen their Use Your Illusion DVDs? And if so, why are their backup female singers such hags?

rich_sg
11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
I have seen Use Your Illusion 2 ( i think) its the one with SCOM and Paridise City. It was a pretty good Dvd. Its up there with hullabaloo and live at slane in my dvd ranking. Axl keeps doing cotsume changes and wears some pretty horrible hot pants which show things.....*shudder* the band is excatic, running alover stage.

rich_sg
11-11-2004, 01:24 PM
If the time is GMT, how come it is so inaccurate? its 5 45 here for goodness sake

bangoodcharlote
11-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by rich_sg
If the time is GMT, how come it is so inaccurate? its 5 45 here for goodness sake
Don't spam my favorite forum again.

Cadd99
11-11-2004, 11:16 PM
I got a question: is Slash really Jewish, I've heard rumors that he is, but I've also heard that his wife denied it.

-Caddy

mid46531
11-12-2004, 01:10 AM
^ His mother was black (probably Christian), his father was white (probably Jewish). Musicians are hardly ever very religious though, Slash himself is probably indifferent on this topic

rich_sg
11-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by mid46531
^ His mother was black (probably Christian), his father was white (probably Jewish). Musicians are hardly ever very religious though, Slash himself is probably indifferent on this topic

If musicians are harldy even religious, what are the guys in christian bands? duh.....:bonk:

EarthAD
11-13-2004, 03:03 AM
Am i the only one here who listens to November Rain every single night?

EarthAD
11-13-2004, 03:06 AM
oh and who agrees with me that Welcome to the Jungle has the best intro ever

rich_sg
11-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Ive been listenin to November Rain recently, cos of the class outro, and welcome to the jungle does have an amazin into. Possibly the best ever. Does anyone know where to get full tabs for "Out Ta Get Me" ?

dyingforwhat
11-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by EarthAD
oh and who agrees with me that Welcome to the Jungle has the best intro ever

Certainly not the best, but pretty good anyways. Guns n' Roses are one of my favourite bands, but to be fair and open-minded, there are alot of better intros.

mid46531
11-15-2004, 12:41 AM
there are many better intros than wttj, sweet child and rocket queen are two from the same album i'd consider better. I personally think Rocket Queen is the best song on the album, but im sure there would be much argument over which track is best on such an epic album........

canucksrule
11-15-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by EarthAD
Am i the only one here who listens to November Rain every single night?

I listen to Estranged quite often...

http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,1942
That's a full PowerTab for Out Ta Get Me...

Also, I like Paradise City's intro more than Welcome to the Jungle's off Appetite. But even more so...I like the intros to Breakdown and November Rain.

Itsme
11-15-2004, 06:26 AM
I listen to november rain and enstranged while i am in school!

bean-o
11-18-2004, 12:53 AM
I listen to noverber rain ALL the time...And agreed that WTTJ has an awesome intro.

SpacedOut
11-18-2004, 01:39 PM

:confused:

Yes it can, with it taking so long it could be the biggest dissapointment ever, ten years is a long time, long enough to make G'n'R sound dated I'm not expecting great things from this album TBH.

canucksrule
11-20-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by SpacedOut

Yes it can, with it taking so long it could be the biggest dissapointment ever, ten years is a long time, long enough to make G'n'R sound dated I'm not expecting great things from this album TBH.

Still, it will have the hype of Velvet Revolver at least if not more. Therefore, if Axl gets it out, he's bound to make tons of money.

FairyPur
11-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Axl should just start a different band. I mean even Duff said it. He said that Paul Mcartney doesn't go 'round calling himself the Beatles, so Axl shouldn't go 'round calling them Guns N' Roses. It's not GNR without Duff, Izzy, and Slash!

canucksrule
11-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by FairyPur
Axl should just start a different band. I mean even Duff said it. He said that Paul Mcartney doesn't go 'round calling himself the Beatles, so Axl shouldn't go 'round calling them Guns N' Roses. It's not GNR without Duff, Izzy, and Slash!

But you never know, it could be better without Duff, Izzy, and Slash. I think pretty much any bassist could pull of what Duff did for the band, and though Slash's leads will be missed, the new guitarists could easily make much better music. The only one Axl will never be able to replace is Izzy's songwriting genius.

mid46531
11-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by FairyPur

Its not GNR without Steven Adler either. Izzy said so himself in an interview. Replacement Matt Sorum's drumming was what shred is compared to real rock and roll: technically superior, and with none of the feeling.

bangoodcharlote
11-22-2004, 09:30 PM
technically superior, and with none of the feeling.
That was the wrong thing to say in this forum. You're probably safe here because the real shred zealots hate GnR, but avoid saying that elsewhere in this forum.

canucksrule
11-23-2004, 09:41 PM
That was the wrong thing to say in this forum. You're probably safe here because the real shred zealots hate GnR, but avoid saying that elsewhere in this forum.

It's true though.

bangoodcharlote
11-24-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by canucksrule
It's true though.
Go listen to Tender Surrender.

canucksrule
11-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Go listen to Tender Surrender.

No thanks.

bangoodcharlote
11-24-2004, 09:35 PM
No thanks.
Then get out of this forum. I don't care if you (foolishly) hate shred, but don't say it here. Ignorance of shred's emotion is not tolerated in here by me, and it is not tolerated by Asomodai.

Thank you.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
11-24-2004, 10:11 PM
^ bangoodcharlote does have a good point, but you gotta remember theres alot of people that come into this forum solely for GN'R, including me.....though i have the sanity not to put down shred in the shred forum(seeing as ive never listened to shred in my life, which i should soon do something about)

on a lighter note, what does everybody think of the video for Don't Cry? personally, i thought that though it kind of put me off at first, i can see how it relates to the song. any comments on that?

hardrock1315
11-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Four-Sticks
Also who is that REALLY low voice that you hear in a bunch of songs? Is that Axl? If so he is probably the worst singer I have ever heard who had such a huge range vocally.

yep, thats axl. it sounds like him when he's talking.

bangoodcharlote
11-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ź├Fire¤nside╗
[Bon a lighter note, what does everybody think of the video for Don't Cry? personally, i thought that though it kind of put me off at first, i can see how it relates to the song. any comments on that? [/B]
I just watched it on yahoo launch and I didn't get it at all.

Metalology
11-24-2004, 11:32 PM
No thanks.

Get out of my house! I mean... the shred forum!

On another note... Does Slash have a real name? I mean other than Slash?... :confused:

bangoodcharlote
11-24-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Metalology
Get out of my house! I mean... the shred forum!

On another note... Does Slash have a real name? I mean other than Slash?... :confused:
Saul Hudson.

porkindorthy
11-25-2004, 12:16 AM
I had the same beliefs as most of you that Slash is unique, and a guitar God, and irreplaceable when it came to GN'R, but as i got a little older I came to realize that with every one unique lead singer ther are at least twenty great guitar players, drummers and bass players. The only member of GN'R that would totaly change the sound of GN'R to were its unrecognizable by leaving the band, would be Axl Rose. Dont get me wrong I think Slash is one of the best guitarist to come out of the 80's, but the new GN'R album will still sound like GN'R regardless of whether or not its disco or polka.:headbang: Also any GN'R fan should check out Duff's believe in me, i never see anyone talking about that.

noodles_wazaman
11-26-2004, 02:02 AM
i know its probably not being discussed now, pg 6 but on the first page people were wondering about who sung certain songs.

what about dust n bones on the live era cd? its definitely not axl singing when all the music stops. is that izzy?

phantom lord363
11-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Saul Hudson.

wow i never new that, you learn something new everyday!

phantom lord363
11-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by porkindorthy
I had the same beliefs as most of you that Slash is unique, and a guitar God, and irreplaceable when it came to GN'R, but as i got a little older I came to realize that with every one unique lead singer ther are at least twenty great guitar players, drummers and bass players. The only member of GN'R that would totaly change the sound of GN'R to were its unrecognizable by leaving the band, would be Axl Rose. Dont get me wrong I think Slash is one of the best guitarist to come out of the 80's, but the new GN'R album will still sound like GN'R regardless of whether or not its disco or polka.:headbang: Also any GN'R fan should check out Duff's believe in me, i never see anyone talking about that.

i really don't think their new album will sound like classic GNR just because Axl is there (i think thats what u meant) coz it isnt just Axl that makes GNR (even tho Axl likes to think that) without Slash and Duff they are nothin!

mid46531
11-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by porkindorthy

You might be right about great singers being the rarest commodity, but to say Chinese Democracy will sound like "GNR" just because the singer from GNR sings on it, thats way off. What is called Guns N Roses became famous in the form of five specific people (Duff Izzy Slash Steven and Axl). When they fired Steven, the band started sounding worse. When Izzy quit, it got even worse. Now hopefully after so much production this record will sound good, but it DEFINITELY will not sound anything like GNR in their prime. You can listen to the songs Madagascar and Chinese Democracy which are the only ones released from the album ( i think), and you will see that it sounds nothing like GNR. Axl should not be using that name.

mid46531
11-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by phantom lord363
i really don't think their new album will sound like classic GNR just because Axl is there (i think thats what u meant) coz it isnt just Axl that makes GNR (even tho Axl likes to think that) without Slash and Duff they are nothin!

If youre going to mention Duff you may as well mention them Izzy and Steven. Its not like there exists some way to rank members of a band by importance, it would be very dumb to think of it that way. Axl and Slash tend to get most credit, but the rest were undeniably just as crucial in making GNRs classic albums.

bangoodcharlote
12-01-2004, 03:05 PM
They still made good music without Steven.

phantom lord363
12-01-2004, 03:28 PM
If youre going to mention Duff you may as well mention them Izzy and Steven. Its not like there exists some way to rank members of a band by importance, it would be very dumb to think of it that way. Axl and Slash tend to get most credit, but the rest were undeniably just as crucial in making GNRs classic albums.

fair point, but i think Slash actually has his own particular sound and without him they can't produce the same Guns N' Roses sound (i didnt mean to bring up Duff sorry, lol)

GABYGAB!
12-03-2004, 11:08 AM
ok ok, whoever said that when steven adler left they started making "not so good music" is a moron, when they hired Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed, they totaly evolved into something sooo much better than Appetite For Destrection.

rich_sg
12-03-2004, 02:38 PM
did you know axl rose is an anagram of oral sex? and his real name is william bruce bailey.

rich_sg
12-03-2004, 02:42 PM
oh and why did the fire steven???

bangoodcharlote
12-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by rich_sg
oh and why did the fire steven???
Because he danced with Mr. Brownstone (did heroine) too much and double posted on the UG.

mid46531
12-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by GABYGAB!
ok ok, whoever said that when steven adler left they started making "not so good music" is a moron, when they hired Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed, they totaly evolved into something sooo much better than Appetite For Destrection.

........um, no.

Compare the drumming a song like Rocket Queen, Sweet Child O mine or essentially anything else off of AFD and lies, to Sorums monotonous lines from UYI, and if you really think sorum is better then you need to clean out your ears. Sorum's only accomplishment is the You Could Be Mine intro, all the other hits he plays on are irrelevent to drums, he is just keeping the bead. Adlers drumming drives the band, Sorum just chops it up.

bangoodcharlote
12-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Sorum's only accomplishment is the You Could Be Mine intro,
That is a sweet intro though.

P.S. I think Steven is better.

Venatus
12-04-2004, 07:00 AM
GNR were way cooler before some of them tried to revive their sorry dead band asses.

Venatus
12-04-2004, 07:02 AM
i mean, they do have some great songs and mad skills, but yeah.

coralfankevin
12-05-2004, 05:11 AM
does anyone else think duff looks like david bowey now?

hardrock1315
12-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by coralfankevin
does anyone else think duff looks like david bowey now?

a little bit. not too much.

noodles_wazaman
12-05-2004, 05:55 PM
i think bernard fanning from powderfinger has looked similar to bowie a lot of times, just less wrinkly, brown hair and more than likely an older girlfriend

Eddy Vanhalen
12-05-2004, 09:42 PM
wow how long has this thread been up here

slash52
12-06-2004, 06:14 PM
^ I dont think so, Axl was more important to GNR. He wrote all the songs and he also had a great voice.

Yeah, Slash is a great guitar player but there were so many great guitarists in the 80's. I dont even know of one song he wrote for them.

actually slash wrote almost all of the music for sweet child of mine. he came up with the intro as a joke.and as vr has proven , a good rock band is nothing without a rippin guitarist

canucksrule
12-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by slash52
actually slash wrote almost all of the music for sweet child of mine. he came up with the intro as a joke.and as vr has proven , a good rock band is nothing without a rippin guitarist

We know Axl didn't make all the songs, but he did make about 75% of the Use Your Illusions and everyone got credit on Appetite. And your right, a good rock band is nothing without a "rippin" guitarist, and because Slash doesn't do anything special on the VR album, VR blows it out the ass.

clockwork555
12-09-2004, 11:25 PM
wow i think that Izzy needs to start gettin mor credit. i mean not to undermine slash or anything its just that many ppl view him as the "other guitarist." He was the main songwriter and defientely held rythm like no other. The most obvious proof of this was that the band disintegrated after left(right after they finished USe ur illusion2). Saghetti incident? nah...
He is an excellent guitarist and he sings good too (dust N' bones).

Also another person who deserves credit is Adler. Although i do not disagree with the band's decision to fire him (his drug habbit made him impossible to work with), it is a pity that he left. The supreme drumming of adler in songs such as mr. Brownstone or roquet queen or mama kin are generally superior to Sorum's drumlines. Sorum isnt a bad drummer (double talkin jive and you could be mine show that he has skill) its just that he isnt as good as the guy he replaced.

o well enuff said from me. AFD and GNFN'R forever

mid46531
12-11-2004, 01:58 AM
^:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Edit: actually the circumstances of adler's firing are quite murky...adler has always maintained that rose drove him out of the band single-handedly, which would not be surprising since adler once overdosed rose's girlfriend on cocaine and heroin....regardless, i can't understand why adler, slash's childhood friend and first bandmate, is not in VR. He is apparently clean now (after having one or several strokes), so what's the long-lasting grudge about? VR would probably be a much better band with Steven than Matt i think..

Dehasu
12-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Adler seems to be the only mature person left from that band. He aswers questions on his website and hes said that he'd love to play a reunion thing or whatever. That he wishes the best to Axl, VR etc etc.

Then you hear Slash & Co saying **** about Axl every chance they get and Axl...I have no idea what that guy's up to.

Marton
12-12-2004, 03:51 PM
^Izzy was not the main songwriter, Axl was. Thats why Izzy left is because Axl was controlling everything.

canucksrule
12-13-2004, 09:43 AM
^:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Edit: actually the circumstances of adler's firing are quite murky...adler has always maintained that rose drove him out of the band single-handedly, which would not be surprising since adler once overdosed rose's girlfriend on cocaine and heroin....regardless, i can't understand why adler, slash's childhood friend and first bandmate, is not in VR. He is apparently clean now (after having one or several strokes), so what's the long-lasting grudge about? VR would probably be a much better band with Steven than Matt i think..

I think the long-lasting grudge you refer to is the actually the result of them most recently playing in GNR with Sorum instead of Adler....so naturally, they would ask Matt. Plus, Adler has his own band....

JB2500
12-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by dyingforwhat
Slash's tophat( :headbang: ) or Buckethead's...well... bucket? the top hat without a doubt

JB2500
12-14-2004, 01:59 PM
OK heres a question, on the album sleeve for the Gn'R Live Era CD at the back it lists the band and it says 'Steven "popcorn" Adler', whats that all about?:confused:

canucksrule
12-15-2004, 12:31 AM
^And, what is the meaning of the phrase Rocket Queen?

jonathanhm2004
12-15-2004, 01:07 PM
What's the big deal? So what if GnR are popluar? Why do you want to take the piss out of people who like them?

mid46531
12-16-2004, 10:29 PM
^^ Popcorn was Steve's nickname, im not sure why, and Rocket Queen appears to be about a girl Axl knew (great but sometimes contradictory lyrics on that song), in the AFD jacket it says Barbi "Rocket Queen" Von Grief, i guess thats the girl.

mid46531
12-16-2004, 10:37 PM
I think the long-lasting grudge you refer to is the actually the result of them most recently playing in GNR with Sorum instead of Adler....so naturally, they would ask Matt. Plus, Adler has his own band....

In fact Adler desparately wanted to be in VR, and as for Sorum having been in GNR after Adler, he was in the band a couple of years whereas Steve is Slash's childhood friend and the two of them were basically their own band (Road Crew) for a long while before the other 3 Gunners got them to join. Thats a much stronger tie to Adler for Slash i think, and what could Steve have possibly done to cause a 10-year grudge? Ok he was a heroin addict, and Slash wasn't? They should have helped him, not booted him onto the street after recording a single track for the album....

canucksrule
12-17-2004, 10:13 AM
In fact Adler desparately wanted to be in VR, and as for Sorum having been in GNR after Adler, he was in the band a couple of years whereas Steve is Slash's childhood friend and the two of them were basically their own band (Road Crew) for a long while before the other 3 Gunners got them to join. Thats a much stronger tie to Adler for Slash i think, and what could Steve have possibly done to cause a 10-year grudge? Ok he was a heroin addict, and Slash wasn't? They should have helped him, not booted him onto the street after recording a single track for the album....

Oh ok then, well I just read somewhere that the 3 (Slash, Duff, Matt) were playing some benefit gig or something and realized that they could still make music together, so they did, perhaps that's why. They couldn't kick Matt out after saying he was in, that would be just bi<e>tchy.

Thanks for the answer about Rocket Queen though...I was playing that song loudly at work yesterday and the solo came on with Axl or I suppose the girl orgasming in the middle, and they shut it off, and told me I couldn't play the cd player anymore....:mad:

...bah I told that old fu<e>ckin' soccer mom to fu<e>ck off basically anyways so it ended up alright.

Dehasu
12-17-2004, 11:04 AM
...bah I told that old fu<e>ckin' soccer mom to fu<e>ck off basically anyways so it ended up alright.

You sound like a dangerous guy.

phrank
12-20-2004, 02:05 AM
i was lucky enough to come across find GNR's new autobiography in a bookstore!

jallas
12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
^it's not an autobiography is it? I wouldn't've thought Axl would want to do something relatively nice for his fans. Then again, he will do anything for publicity :p:

ocirue
12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
I have a question y do people think knockin on heavens door is such a good dong i mean i myself prefer civil war i mean its a lil slow bu tthe solo'd kinda cool but thats it

Voodoo Chile
12-20-2004, 05:00 PM
^Because they like it. Why else?

>you66
12-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by SpacedOut

chinese democrocy will suck its not even guns n roses for christs sake its axl and his hired guns, velvet revolver is closer to being guns n roses then guns n roses is to being guns n roses.
axl has a bunch of crackpots working for him the cd is gonna be **** he got the guitarist from nine inch nails for instance and some other ape who parades around in a god damned kfc bucket

velvet revolver kicks ass by the way, good music, its got its own sorta feel doesnt seem like guns n roses but then at the same time it does.
anyways as a person scott is way the hell cooler then axl, axls a cock, i say it often and i will continue to do so, hes the reasons g'n'r split up if he wasnt so greedy theyd still be together

nirvana alive
12-22-2004, 04:02 AM
^ totally agree with you. it was axls fault that g n r broke. VR is doing well and i hope they keep going this way. although i think axl is a better vocalist than scott but scott is certainly a better man.

Red Baroness
12-22-2004, 09:04 AM
>you66, buckethead isnt in new gnr anymore, just so ya know.
i dont think that cd is going to be as good as the old gnr stuff but its going to be interesting to see where axls style of music has gone.

AirGuitarist87
12-22-2004, 02:50 PM
I disagree with people who say Axl has more vocal talents then Scott. Scott can alter his voice to suit different songs, while Axl it was mainly the same screachy wail, unique but annying. Its like AC/DC's "new" singer, I dunno about anyone else but I can't listen to a full AC/DC album cus his voice is so annoying (Back in Black).

Voodoo Chile
12-22-2004, 04:49 PM
^ I disagree. Have you heard It's so Easy? He sings in a really low voice and its hard to tell it's him. There are others like this, but I can't be bothered listing them. And to be honest, I like the "screachy wail". And Brian Johnson's voice.

Bogbrush
12-23-2004, 08:59 AM
IM THINKING ABOUT MAKING A HOMEMADE BOOTLEG, THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT 2. HERE IS THE TRACKLISTING AS FOLLOWS:

MAMA KIN
LIVE AND LET DIE
KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DOOR
AXL ROSE- WHITE XMAS
GODFATHER THEME
HEARTBREAK HOTEL
SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
DUST IN THE WIND
UNDER MY WHEELS**
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY**
WE WILL ROCK YOU**
WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE
ITS ALRIGHT
IMAGINE
LOOK AT YOUR GAME GIRL
JUMPING JACK FLASH
LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS

NOTE: ** GUNS N ROSES FEATURED ON THE SONG

ANY1 GOT ANY OTHER LINKS TO COVER SONGS WHICH AREN'T ON THIS LIST?

Bogbrush
12-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Bogbrush
IM THINKING ABOUT MAKING A HOMEMADE BOOTLEG, THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT 2. HERE IS THE TRACKLISTING AS FOLLOWS:

MAMA KIN
LIVE AND LET DIE
KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DOOR
AXL ROSE- WHITE XMAS
GODFATHER THEME
HEARTBREAK HOTEL
SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
DUST IN THE WIND
UNDER MY WHEELS**
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY**
WE WILL ROCK YOU**
WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE
ITS ALRIGHT
IMAGINE
LOOK AT YOUR GAME GIRL
JUMPING JACK FLASH

ANY1 GOT ANY OTHER LINKS TO COVER SONGS WHICH AREN'T ON THIS LIST? ITS SO EASY, SO ****IN EASY

canucksrule
12-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Bogbrush

MAMA KIN
LIVE AND LET DIE
KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DOOR
AXL ROSE- WHITE XMAS
GODFATHER THEME
HEARTBREAK HOTEL
SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
DUST IN THE WIND
UNDER MY WHEELS**
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY**
WE WILL ROCK YOU**
WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE
ITS ALRIGHT
IMAGINE
LOOK AT YOUR GAME GIRL
JUMPING JACK FLASH

ANY1 GOT ANY OTHER LINKS TO COVER SONGS WHICH AREN'T ON THIS LIST?

Are those all songs covered by GNR???!!??!?!

And if they are, I would hope that they could make "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" a hell of lot less annoying.

almosthonest
12-23-2004, 02:45 PM

Four-sticks, that is Axl using the low voice, and some good songs with it are Sweet Child of Mine and It's So Easy.
and get in the ring

almosthonest
12-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by sixteen times
Is it "techno"? it is. thats y slash says he wouldnt play with gnr n e more. he sed that if axl wants to realease a real rock album and he wants slash to play, hell do it

slash52
12-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by grave
they should have included estranged in the greatests hits cuz i would have bought it if they did

linkin park sucks. they have no talent. just facny computers. i mean what is that square button thing anyways?

slash52
12-23-2004, 09:41 PM
We know Axl didn't make all the songs, but he did make about 75% of the Use Your Illusions and everyone got credit on Appetite. And your right, a good rock band is nothing without a "rippin" guitarist, and because Slash doesn't do anything special on the VR album, VR blows it out the ass.

youre right there not that good . if you listen to the solo on you got no right thats ones ok and i like the fall to pieces solos. but ya the rest of the songs are kinda cheesy and most of them sound the same.

stevevai
12-24-2004, 04:38 AM
Guns N Roses will never be as great as they were before Slash left the band

noodles_wazaman
12-24-2004, 05:31 PM
^^no ****.

i was a little bit disappointed with their performance on the uyi2 dvd though. the guitar and drum solos were pretty uninspiring and the sound was a bit dodgy in some songs. and gilby clarke, they may as well have forgot about rhythm guitar after izzy left cause his playing is non existent on a lot of the tracks.

the theme from the godfather was just about the highlight for me, followed by estranged and you could be mine

canucksrule
12-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by noodles_wazaman
^^no ****.

i was a little bit disappointed with their performance on the uyi2 dvd though. the guitar and drum solos were pretty uninspiring and the sound was a bit dodgy in some songs. and gilby clarke, they may as well have forgot about rhythm guitar after izzy left cause his playing is non existent on a lot of the tracks.

the theme from the godfather was just about the highlight for me, followed by estranged and you could be mine

I still think it was all right, despite the fact that Axl's attire could have been a little less....well feminine. But yes, I thought that Estranged was one of the better songs, and Gilby Clarke did sh<e>it all.

Dutch_Apples
12-26-2004, 05:58 AM
As for Steven Alder, you know you might have a slight problem if you get kicked out of Guns n' Roses for drugs! Some people will argue with me against this, but I think Izzy was a better guitarist than Slash. Slash is good nonetheless, but Izzy wrote a lot of the songs and could solo with the best of them.

The Floppy Poop
12-26-2004, 04:47 PM
GNR... Amazing band.. I am a huge fan of GNR!

Everyone says Axl is a dick and he's an asshole. Oh well... Everybody can be one at times. But Axl is awesome. He is a great frontman and is a great songwriter. Guns N Roses is a big thing just like Metallica or Megadeath!.

They had some of the greatest musicians ever Slash - guitarist. His style is really good! He is one of my favorite guitarist. I don't like too much of him in VR because his solo seems limited that's all i hated on the Contraband album but other than that it kicked ass. Slash is awesome. Sick guy in GNR!

Duff McKegan one of the greatest bass players... He is really good and not only is he a bass player but is a guitar player. For instance... if you noticed in Patience by GNR.. He played acoustic along with Izzy and Slash... He is also a good songwriter... He helped Axl write material and is helping Scott Weiland.

There were two drummers. Of course i thought the orignal was better but now that i look at Matt Sorum he did really well with GNR and i like him now better than Steven Adler.

Izzy Stradin , supposedly he is a music producer. For what company who knows.. I'm just hearing what i heard. I liked him i thought he was a good rythym guitar player for GNR. He was my favorite intill that other smuck came into the picture. Lets not get started on that..... But Izzy was awesome.

Gun's N Roses is still awesome and thanks to them they helped pump up the music industry. They sold alot of records and Appetite, Illusions, and There Greatest Hits were awesome. Of course the new GNR that's coming out - Chinese Democracy... I don't think the album is going to be another Apetite. But i think it will be good. It's Axl and a new guns. I hate the fact that it's the new guns because the orignals are better. But it would be awesome if the real GNR got back. I hope for that all the time!

So i conclude that GNR is ****ing awesome. They are a big inspiration to me and my band. Are music is based around them and they really influenced me!

GREAT ****ING BAND! THERE NAME WILL NEVER DIE!

clockwork555
12-28-2004, 02:11 AM
Everyone says Axl is a dick and he's an asshole. Oh well... Everybody can be one at times. But Axl is awesome. He is a great frontman and is a great songwriter. Guns N Roses is a big thing just like Metallica or Megadeath!. :cheers:

i dunno y there is so much hate for Axl on this site. I know that he was a bit of a tyrant at times but Gnr needed a strong leader or else they would hav always been wasted and gotten nothing accomplished.

He is a great singer and i dont think he can rlly be compared to scott. They both hav very powerful voices with different tones. However id argue that axl sings with mor passion but thats just me.

well heres a cheer to GUNS AND FUKING ROSES

noodles_wazaman
12-28-2004, 07:20 AM
as for gilby clarke, i should give the man some credit. while it is clear he didn't contribute a whole lot to gnr, he did produce the self titled debut by the bronx and it is ****ing awesome.

although the production is a bit dodgy, it has a nice raw sound like what metallica should have had for st anger, not the garbage can bashing that they finished with. plus the fact that he is involved with a band such as the bronx tells me that the man is still about good hard rockin music.

also what bands was he in before gnr, worth checkin out?

somepunkkid
12-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Ok bangoodcharlotte, Shannon Hoon sang Don't Cry with Axl.
Four-sticks, that is Axl using the low voice, and some good songs with it are Sweet Child of Mine and Its So Easy.
Slash's tophat( :headbang: ) or Buckethead's...well... bucket?
thats Duff :peace:

slash52
12-29-2004, 04:18 AM
come to allrockmessageboard@groups.msn.com for a better message board and show these *****es that they are buerocratic ****.

slash52
12-29-2004, 04:20 AM
http://groups.msn.com/allrockmessageboard
sorry heres the site

Crzyrckgtrst28
12-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by slash52
http://groups.msn.com/allrockmessageboard
sorry heres the site

hahahaha ur site is horrible and im glad u got banned

noodles_wazaman
12-29-2004, 06:39 PM
you can't spell bureaucratic either dick

canucksrule
12-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Crzyrckgtrst28
hahahaha ur site is horrible and im glad u got banned

Amen brotha.

Here's a question for y'all.

UYI 1 or UYI 2?

I think UYI 2 was better, just because I liked most of the songs on it. However, I do enjoy the great ones from # 1, especially Dust N' Bones.

Voodoo Chile
12-30-2004, 04:37 PM
^I think they're equally as good. Imagine if they'd taken the best of each and made one album. It would have been perhaps the greatest album ever.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
12-30-2004, 08:09 PM
^ It would be amazing, but I think that they're is just too much material to make 80 minutes.....theyd've had to cut out nearly 70 minutes just to make 80, and I don't think that it would be possible. I mean, you take Civil War and Estranged and November Rain alone and you have approx. 25 minutes.

canucksrule
12-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by ź├Fire¤nside╗
^ It would be amazing, but I think that they're is just too much material to make 80 minutes.....theyd've had to cut out nearly 70 minutes just to make 80, and I don't think that it would be possible. I mean, you take Civil War and Estranged and November Rain alone and you have approx. 25 minutes.

But think of how good it would have been! And then they coulda thrown Spaghetti Incident the f<e>uck out and had a semi-good cd with the best tracks left over, not being used on UYI.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
12-30-2004, 11:41 PM
^ Now that would be amazing..... I've heard 2 songs off Spaghetti Incident and then never listened to them again, that's how bad I think it is.

jallas
12-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah I agree the Spaghetti Incident is a bit crap. I can't say which I prefer out of UYI1 or UYI2.

2 is mostly great, I love stuff like 14 Years, Civil War, Estranged, but Yesterdays annoys me, and My World is just a terrible terrible song.

1 is also great, I love November Rain, Bad Obsession and Double Talkin' Jive, but again, some songs bore me, like Right Next Door To Hell.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
12-31-2004, 06:12 PM
^ Amen to the My World comment......seriously might be one of the worst songs I've ever heard

Though I do like Yesterdays and Right Next Door to Hell.....come to think of it the only song of GNR that is pre-Spaghetti Incident that I don't like is My World.

freemind12
01-01-2005, 07:47 PM
i like my world sorry guys! right next door to hell is the best way to start use your illusion great song to begin with!dunno who said it a few pages ago that wttj had the best intro but i argree how could anyone write something that good? where the 2 guitars harmonize perfectly.me and my rythem guitarist spent a day just playing wttj the other day but we couldnt get much further than the intro but hell that intros amazin!i love it!Can't wait for chinese demo of course it wont be as good as the oldies but still can't wait! anyone know when its coming out i thought it was last year but apparetly not! anyone know?
wats peoples fav GNR song as well? i kno loads of people r gunna disagree with me but sweet child o' mine is the best!
one more thing Guns N' Roses kick ass!!!!!!!!

noodles_wazaman
01-01-2005, 11:41 PM
right next door to hell is an awesome song. i like perfect crime too

jallas
01-02-2005, 09:39 AM
in answer to freemind12, my favourite GN'R song is Nightrain

LesPaulRocker12
01-02-2005, 09:47 AM
My favorite GnR song is probably Its So Easy or Nightrain!

canucksrule
01-02-2005, 02:29 PM
My favourite song...either Estranged or Think About You

Dehasu
01-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Favourite for the moment: Used to Love Her

Favourite all in all: Paradise City or It's So Easy.

hardrock3
01-02-2005, 06:34 PM
if anyone was wondering, slash uses a:

marshall JCM 800 or 900 head and speaker
talkbox
Les Paul Premium Plus( i think)
crybaby wah

PhAz0r
01-02-2005, 07:26 PM
best gnr song dont cry it rocks \M/

clockwork555
01-02-2005, 09:41 PM
aw **** too many songs to choose from. Ill organize in categories.

Best acoustic: one in a million and patience
Best distortion: welcome to the jungle and Mr. Brownstone.
Best slow: Don't cry.

everything else is great (except for spaghetti incident and a couple of UY1 and UY2 songs)

noodles_wazaman
01-02-2005, 11:59 PM
damn right there's way too many, some of my favourites have to be nightrain, civil war, right next door to hell, rocket queen and sweet child.

how much do the live era cds kick ass, i think they bring out a lot more in most of the songs

justaplaya
01-05-2005, 12:12 AM
noodles_wazaman, I gotta say Nightrain played live, with the extended solo is quite amazing. It should have been a single. The music video for that could have been bad ass if they based it around the lyrics. And just to let u all know if u didnt already, Nightrain is a cheap wine they used to buy for a dollar a bottle. And it ****s you all up when you drink it.

so now do u get it now.. "Im on the nightrain" Read the lyrics again and it will all make sense.

that is all

noodles_wazaman
01-05-2005, 04:19 AM
yeah i never thought much of gnr lyrically until i sat down and read em all one day. they are actually pretty damn good, and i definitely knew that nightrain was about a drug of some sort, so thanks for telling me exactly what they were on about

askel
01-05-2005, 06:35 AM
the solo in sweet cild is awsome!

jallas
01-05-2005, 01:20 PM
would Sweet Child O' Mine be called a ballad? I don't really get the whole idea of ballads, so is this one? Thanks

justaplaya
01-05-2005, 02:11 PM
I dont think Sweet Child is a ballad at all. I dont really know wut to call it, other than bad ass. It did win the MTV Video Music Award for Best Heavy Metal Video. I 4get which year that was but it was in the late 80s I think, 88-89 maybe 90.

November Rain is a ballad, and estranged is also considered a ballade by many.

canucksrule
01-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by justaplaya
I dont think Sweet Child is a ballad at all. I dont really know wut to call it, other than bad ass. It did win the MTV Video Music Award for Best Heavy Metal Video. I 4get which year that was but it was in the late 80s I think, 88-89 maybe 90.

November Rain is a ballad, and estranged is also considered a ballade by many.

Hah, Sweet Child O' Mine's video is terrible. I'm sure there were at least 100 better videos than that one in the year it was voted that award. I wish that the music video and radio versions of the song didn't cut out half the solo, it just takes so much away from the song.

justaplaya
01-06-2005, 02:10 PM
wut? I always hear the whole song when ever its played on the radio. And I think the video is kick ass. Just the band rockin out, being guns N Roses.

AirGuitarist87
01-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Hah, Sweet Child O' Mine's video is terrible. I'm sure there were at least 100 better videos than that one in the year it was voted that award. I wish that the music video and radio versions of the song didn't cut out half the solo, it just takes so much away from the song.

On the vids I've seen they cut out half of the intro, which is probably my favourite part of the song. :mad:

Distortion01
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I know that the spaghetti incedent s preety much hated, but what do you guys think of lies?

I have really listened to it much, but ive heard patience, ur crazy, one in a million and mama kin and they are all really, really good so why do they only ever sing patience live?

jallas
01-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Yeah the Sweet Child video always cuts out the 2nd half of the intro. Damn annoying. And VH1 always cuts off the end of November Rain, ie. the greatest part, when Slash gets up on the piano.

clockwork555
01-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Distortion01
I know that the spaghetti incedent s preety much hated, but what do you guys think of lies?

I have really listened to it much, but ive heard patience, ur crazy, one in a million and mama kin and they are all really, really good so why do they only ever sing patience live?

:cheers: AMen to that brother. Lies is excellent and totally underated. I think the reason why it is so underplayed is becuz of one in a million. It got bashed by so many critics that they feel like they only need to play patience. Which is gay because i think one in a million is a good song (despite lyrics) and i like all the other ones (except nice boys). Yea i wish it was playd mor.

Distortion01
01-07-2005, 07:36 PM
^ ye i was gutted when that happened

canucksrule
01-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by clockwork555
:cheers: AMen to that brother. Lies is excellent and totally underated. I think the reason why it is so underplayed is becuz of one in a million. It got bashed by so many critics that they feel like they only need to play patience. Which is gay because i think one in a million is a good song (despite lyrics) and i like all the other ones (except nice boys). Yea i wish it was playd mor.

What's wrong with the lyrics of 'One in a Million'? :p:

But anyways, yes great cd, especially "Patience", "One in a Million", "Used to Love Her", "Mama Kin", and "You're Crazy".

hardrock1315
01-07-2005, 11:29 PM
My mistake about the name, sorry.
Anyways, in It's So Easy, Axl does use that low voice, and just a bit in Sweet Child of Mine. Those are pretty much the only songs I know that he's used the low voice in.

He used it in Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

jallas
01-08-2005, 04:00 PM
But anyways, yes great cd, especially "Patience", "One in a Million", "Used to Love Her", "Mama Kin", and "You're Crazy".
Lies kicks ass. I love all the ones you mentioned, and actually, I love the whole track list. I found a rare version of Mama Kin with GN'R and Aerosmith dueting. Amazing.

clockwork555
01-09-2005, 01:08 AM
where did u find that? I need to here that.

jallas
01-09-2005, 05:42 AM
My friend downlaoded it and sent it to me. I think he got it off Limewire or something, dunno though. If you PM me your email I can try and email it to you if you want it.

noodles_wazaman
01-11-2005, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by justaplaya
And I think the video is kick ass. Just the band rockin out, being guns N Roses.

yeah i saw it for the first time today and i cant see how you could say its that bad.

Distortion01
01-11-2005, 11:49 AM
hey who sings dont vry with axl in the video for it and where is izzy had he left at this point?

duff_vr
01-11-2005, 12:33 PM
yeah izzy's already left. my favorite song is november rain and i want slash's guitar, anyone know where to buy it?

dyingforwhat
01-11-2005, 04:40 PM
^
Just order it offline if you want it that bad, I assume you're talking about the new Gibson Les Paul Slash signature that was released? If not, just find a shop with lots of Les Pauls, it shouldn't be that hard.

Has anyone see the video of a full concert when Guns n' Roses played live at the Ritz in New York, 1988? It's fucking awesome, its when the band was at their peak with all the original members. You can feel the energy they put into their songs, just hard, pure rock.
If not, search for "live guns n roses - live at the ritz, new york 88" on Limewire or Ares. Its worth the download time.:cheers:

canucksrule
01-12-2005, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by noodles_wazaman
yeah i saw it for the first time today and i cant see how you could say its that bad.

Well, I don't think that any Guns N' Roses videos are really very good. Welcome to the Jungle was all right, and so was Paradise City, but Sweet Child just never came off as very good to me. I also though November Rain was ok, but I never really liked any others. Especially Estranged. That video is disgusting in how confusing it is. I still don't get the dolphins thing.

justaplaya
01-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Yea I agree with you on Estranged. I love GNR videos, well the ones where the band is just playing (WTTJ, SCOM, PC, YCBM, etc). Thats wut GNR was about, Playing music and being bad asses, in most their videos they capture this. Towards the end of their career the videos get really weird.

Distortion01
01-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Wats the since i dont have you vid like?

jallas
01-12-2005, 11:56 AM
^Boring. And pretty crap. And I agree Estranged video is terrible. It's so damn cheesy, Axl swimming with dolphins, Slash rising up out of the water... c'mon guys! You're sposed to be a rock n roll band!

IgnoreThis
01-12-2005, 03:26 PM
^Yeah, the video looks like an 80s disney film with all the dolphins.

Abe
01-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Apparently Slash was completely against rising up out of the sea playing a solo, I'm trying to save him some credibility here, thats what I heard anyway.

...and to the You COuld Be Mine comment made, that was probably one of the furthest away from them just playing, it had Arnie in it for cying out loud.

I likie the Garden Of Eden video most.

dyingforwhat
01-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Abe
Apparently Slash was completely against rising up out of the sea playing a solo, I'm trying to save him some credibility here, thats what I heard anyway.

Yeah actually, a double did it instead, Slash thought it was idiotic to even think of it.

noodles_wazaman
01-13-2005, 01:16 AM
^^^good to hear. i dont see why arnie had to be in you could be mine, it wasn't written solely for the soundtrack.

at least it was a good movie

Distortion01
01-13-2005, 02:42 PM
I think hes good in the movie

Its class at the end when he looks at axl and the assesment says waste of ammo

Slash123
01-13-2005, 05:47 PM
What's wrong with the lyrics of 'One in a Million'? :p:

he says faggot and n*****. i cant believe axl made that mistake. what good did he think would come out of it?

canucksrule
01-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Slash123
he says faggot and n*****. i cant believe axl made that mistake. what good did he think would come out of it?

Wow, aren't you the bright one :rolleyes:?

If everybody that didn't like the lyrics didn't listen to them, there would have been no problem at all.

jallas
01-14-2005, 06:49 AM
You do know that canucksrule was joking right?

somepunkkid
01-14-2005, 12:46 PM
use your illusion 1 isnt that good. where the hell is al the power from AfD

Abe
01-14-2005, 05:53 PM
^Uhh, theres a lot more 'Raw' feeling to UYI1 than UYI2. It a better collection of songs.

noodles_wazaman
01-14-2005, 08:02 PM

Has anyone see the video of a full concert when Guns n' Roses played live at the Ritz in New York, 1988? It's fucking awesome, its when the band was at their peak with all the original members. You can feel the energy they put into their songs, just hard, pure rock.
If not, search for "live guns n roses - live at the ritz, new york 88" on Limewire or Ares. Its worth the download time.:cheers:

i salute you!

i finally watched it last night, and it was ****ing great. the band just rocked out like nothing else, and they all kicked ass. axl's singing seemed spot on to me the whole time, whereas in a lot of other live stuff he has disappointed. the club just seemed to have a much better atmosphere than all the huge stadiums they ended up playing too.

Slash123
01-14-2005, 09:39 PM
where do u download it from?

canucksrule
01-15-2005, 06:54 PM
where do u download it from?

He already said limewire or ares.

guitar_wiz123
01-16-2005, 09:49 AM
I know ever GNR song here they are:

reckless life
nice boys
move to the city
mama kin
welcome to the jungle
its so easy
nightrain
out ta get me
mr. brownstone
paradise city
my michelle
think about you
sweet child o mine
anything goes
you're crazy
rockett queen
patience
used to love her
you're crazy (acoustic)
one in a million
right next door to hell
dust 'n' bones
live and let die
don't cry (original)
perfect crime
you ain't the first
bad obsession
back off b.i.t.c.h
double talkin jive
november rain
the garrden
garden of eden
don't d.a.m.n me
bad apples
dead horse
coma
civil war
14 years
yesterdays
knockin' on heaven's door
get in the ring
shotgun blues
breakdown
pretty tied up
locomotive
so fine
estranged
you could be mine
don;t cry
my world

what was axl thinkinwhen he wrote my world

Voodoo Chile
01-16-2005, 10:10 AM
^ You missed "The Spaghetti Incident?" songs. And we don't really need to know how many GnR songs you know.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
01-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by guitar_wiz123
I know ever GNR song here they are:

reckless life
nice boys
move to the city
mama kin
welcome to the jungle
its so easy
nightrain
out ta get me
mr. brownstone
paradise city
my michelle
think about you
sweet child o mine
anything goes
you're crazy
rockett queen
patience
used to love her
you're crazy (acoustic)
one in a million
right next door to hell
dust 'n' bones
live and let die
don't cry (original)
perfect crime
you ain't the first
bad obsession
back off b.i.t.c.h
double talkin jive
november rain
the garrden
garden of eden
don't d.a.m.n me
bad apples
dead horse
coma
civil war
14 years
yesterdays
knockin' on heaven's door
get in the ring
shotgun blues
breakdown
pretty tied up
locomotive
so fine
estranged
you could be mine
don;t cry
my world

what was axl thinkinwhen he wrote my world

I like how you stuck in the afd songs inbetween mama kin and patience to make it look like you didnt just copy and paste a list of the albums..........congratulations

Distortion01
01-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I went to see VR last night and they sang three guns n roses songs. Its so easy, I used to love her, and mr brownstone and the only vr songs i reckon can beat them r fall to pieces and slither but they put a ****in great performance..............if only axl sang and not scott

jallas
01-17-2005, 12:48 PM
^Manchester? Yup, me too. Awesome awesome gig. If you managed to see the angry mob that broke out at the front over a drumstick (when Matt got down and gave it to someone in the front row, kinda to the right of the stage)... yeah that was me. He gave that drumstick to me... then the guys around me decided to grab it off me :(

Got it back in the end though. Security took pity on the little girl :)

Distortion01
01-17-2005, 03:01 PM
^ye i saw that lol

Abe
01-17-2005, 05:58 PM
As if. I guess even VR have fans that are batards.

Yes, thats right...I said batards.

:rolleyes: Damn my spelling.

canucksrule
01-18-2005, 04:38 AM
As the thread has suddenly shifted this way, is VR worth going to see even if I don't particularly like them? As in, I don't hate them, but I'm not a fan?

Abe
01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't think any band are worth seeing if you feel that way. It scarecely works.

Anyway, to talk about GnR again, what's everyones favourite cover that GnR performed?

jallas
01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
As the thread has suddenly shifted this way, is VR worth going to see even if I don't particularly like them? As in, I don't hate them, but I'm not a fan?
I would recommend them as a live act. I think they're aweosme, I've seen 'em twice now and loved both times.

But yeah, back to GN'R, the cover thingy, I liked their cover of Sympathy for the Devil.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
01-18-2005, 07:58 PM
^ I kinda liked that cover, but to me most songs (this one particularly) are better originally. Especially if you're covering a song by one of the greatest bands of all time, and the song is one of their biggest hits.

gunsn'pjs
01-18-2005, 11:28 PM
GNR just kick ass

la bamba
01-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Abe
Anyway, to talk about GnR again, what's everyones favourite cover that GnR performed?

I'm not really a big fan of G n R but I absolutely love their cover of Knockin on Heaven's Door.

noodles_wazaman
01-19-2005, 07:02 PM
i think their cover of knocking on heaven's door is a bit over the top. i like it but i dont think thats how the song is meant to be played.

i guess sympathy for the devil is my favourite, i ve never really liked the stones much.

da_pope
01-20-2005, 02:55 AM
Knocking On Heavens Door Was A Great Cover.

da_pope
01-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Oh and I was reading abit and I noticed at the beggining that there was a big argument over who sings what and ya...

Axl sings lead vocals in every song... Duff and Izzy sing the back up (an example: "Where do we go, Where Do We Go Now" ) but then Axl has the vocals over it. Do you think a lead singer (especially a stuborn one like Axl) would just sit around and let one of the others sing more then back up?

canucksrule
01-20-2005, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by da_pope
Oh and I was reading abit and I noticed at the beggining that there was a big argument over who sings what and ya...

Axl sings lead vocals in every song... Duff and Izzy sing the back up (an example: "Where do we go, Where Do We Go Now" ) but then Axl has the vocals over it. Do you think a lead singer (especially a stuborn one like Axl) would just sit around and let one of the others sing more then back up?

Yes, he seemingly would because Izzy sang lead on "14 Years" and "Dust N' Bones" and Duff sang lead on "So Fine".

Abe
01-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Izzy also sang lead along with Axl on 'Double Taking Jive', and Shannon Hon did a hell of a lot of backing vocals on the UYI CD's.

da_pope
01-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Yes but not the whole song

Abe
01-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Yeah, thats true. It just goes to show Axl was a bit of a control freak really, since Izzy wrote that song.

Phat Idiot
01-20-2005, 06:36 PM
hey, who do you think was the better drummer; Steven Adler or Matt Sorum?

Slash123
01-20-2005, 06:40 PM
i think Matt was way better. i love the intro to You Could Be Mine

dyingforwhat
01-20-2005, 07:21 PM
^
I don't like Matt, he doesn't have a style of drumming that stands out from the rest. In my opinion, Steven had a better style of drumming, and he also had catchy beats.

Originally posted by la bamba
I'm not really a big fan of G n R but I absolutely love their cover of Knockin on Heaven's Door.

Really? I liked their cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door in a 1988 concert better than the studio version. The chorus seems a bit too much, and the answering machine message was completely pointless; an attempt at some grand philosophy.

guitar_wiz123
01-20-2005, 07:28 PM
There are alot of underrated GNR songs that are great yet under rated like these

coma
mr. brownstone
yesterdys
14 years
breakdown
so fine
and many many more could someone tell me why they are under rated

also duff is the best bassist, because think back to sweet child o mine in the intro he has a littl e bass solo who has heard of a bass solo, thats ****in awesome

dyingforwhat
01-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by guitar_wiz123
also duff is the best bassist, because think back to sweet child o mine in the intro he has a littl e bass solo who has heard of a bass solo, thats ****in awesome

I hope you're joking at the fact that no-one has ever done a bass solo besides Duff. I'm a huge Guns n' Roses fan, but I'm not as ignorant as to say that he's the best. What about The Who's bassist? He does a legendary bass solo in "My Generation. John Paul Jones of the legendary Led Zeppelin did an even longer, more technical bass solo in "Over the Hills and Far Away" than Duff in "Sweet Child of Mine".

da_pope
01-20-2005, 10:00 PM
The best Bassist is without a doubt Les Claypool from Primus. Duff is good and I love the bassline (it's not a solo it's bassline) in Sweet Child O' Mine, but he definetly isn't the best.

canucksrule
01-21-2005, 06:46 AM
^
I don't like Matt, he doesn't have a style of drumming that stands out from the rest. In my opinion, Steven had a better style of drumming, and he also had catchy beats.

Really? I liked their cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door in a 1988 concert better than the studio version. The chorus seems a bit too much, and the answering machine message was completely pointless; an attempt at some grand philosophy.

Almost all their concert versions were tons better, i.e...with better longer solos and without the idiotic answering machine.

Dehasu
01-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Phat Idiot
hey, who do you think was the better drummer; Steven Adler or Matt Sorum?

It's Matt.

Slash says in an interview that when they got Matt he could use a bunch of new material that Steven hadn't been able to pull off.

jallas
01-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Matt is the better drummer IMO. Steven was too fucked up on drugs to play right, and Matt just has more rhythm. He's hotter too. Always a bonus ;)

da_pope
01-21-2005, 02:51 PM
I think Matt is a better drummer.

You Could Be Mine is sweet. Steve only played on one track on Use Your Illusions and that was Civil War.

da_pope
01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Here's a question... What do you think is the best GNR riff... Besides Sweet Child O' Mine?

I'd say the riff from Mr. Brownstone or Estranged.

Voodoo Chile
01-21-2005, 02:59 PM
^Welcome to the Jungle. Every time I hear that I get tingles down my spine. Does anybody have the Live 87-93 CD? There's a great version of it on that.

jallas
01-21-2005, 03:03 PM
^I prefer the live version of Nightrain on that CD tbh. But yeah it is an awesome riff.

Also, I think Mr. Brownstone is a godamned amazingly brilliant riff, but most people I know just dismiss it. I think it's one of their best.

Slash123
01-21-2005, 05:10 PM
i fuc king love the 'Back off *****' riff. the solo kinda sucks though

Voodoo Chile
01-21-2005, 05:17 PM
^^Yeah Nightrains good too. It's just the bit a the begining of Jungle where Axl screems "Do you know where the **** you are? You're in the Jungle baby. Wake up. Time to Die!" I love that.