Best high gain distortion pedal?

PDA

View Full Version : Best high gain distortion pedal?

pedrothelion123
10-22-2010, 04:48 PM
The title says it all, I play a G&L Strat into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and I need a high gain distortion pedal, I have a fuzz and an overdrive, and my current Digitech Hardwire doesn't have enough gain for me. Ideally I'd want a vintage Pro Co Rat, but I'm sworn off ebay and craigslist, been ripped off WAY too many times, so I need something boutique that sounds like it, or go with the 85 whiteface Rat. Any ideas on a distortion pedal like the Rat or another high gain pedal?

ZaŠ
10-22-2010, 04:54 PM
blackstar pedals are really nice...

sashki
10-22-2010, 04:57 PM
How much gain? Like, extreme metal?
I don't know any good sounding metal pedals, but for hard rock, the Rothwell Hellbender does a pretty good job.

pedrothelion123
10-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Not like metal pedals, just under that kinda thing, definitely hard rock stuff. I think it may be the fact that I'm using single coil pickups and I want to have and 80s hard rock tone, I'm not into that kind of music, but I just admire the degree of gain they have, also, Gilmour's tone is something I've always looked up to, I'm using a big muff, phase 90, but I want his rhythm distortion tone. I also really like Orianthi's (Michael Jackson's ex guitarist, young Australian girl) tone.

LolCatGuitar
10-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Try and get a higher powered pickup (preferably a humbucker) on a guitar, If you have something like a D-Sonic or a X2N on a guitar it will basically drive the amp MUCH more. Hardwire TL-2 could be good, It's the METAL version of the hardwire pedal you have in your sig, unless you already have a TL-2 and you don't think is has enough gain.

But seriously a G&L strat wont really do the job for metal. You really need higher output pickups.
400 or so Mv. and 11k or so DC resistance (I'm talking about most dimarzio's here) will do the job.

EDIT:
Wait, so you want high gain but not Metal gain?
Hmmmm.
Describe, smooth or fizzy kinda gain or chunky full sortta gain?
People like gilmour don't use tons of gain, maybe at sometimes, but my thought's would be that the hardwire OD would have enough, I think you need stronger pickups, because the Valve Distortion has enough for metal. Easily.

AcousticMirror
10-22-2010, 05:30 PM
boss metal zone

Shabadoo
10-22-2010, 05:30 PM
You could check out Blackstar, it might be able to get you the tone you are looking for. I've got an HT-dual and honestly, I think it's pretty meh. You could check out an OKKO dominator, but that might be to high gain and modern voiced for what you're after.

pedrothelion123
10-22-2010, 05:33 PM
ah got it, again, I'm not really a metalhead, so I don't know much about this. I found an old boss HM-2 from the 80s for DIRT cheap, like 30 dollar or something, would this tide me over? I'd rather not mess with the guitar though, it's one of 150 ever made and I'd rather not mess with it, just a sentimental thing. I have an old strat body that I might throw some humbuckers in for this kind of tone, that might be wiser than buying another pedal, or maybe run the overdrive and the distortion at the same time? Again, the Pro Co Rat is an interesting pedal and it has ridiculous amounts of gain, maybe that would work? I don't really know, my teacher plays a tele and he has an old Vox V830 and a vintage Pro Co Rat through a tweed vibrolux and his tone has PLENTY of gain. Also, if you check out Wonderful Slippery Thing by Guthrie Govan, that's the tone I want to nail also, but I would need one of those Suhr HSH with a floyd rose things for that, hah, but also, any ideas on an envelope filter like Govan uses? I realy like the sound of the Maxon AF-9, but it's just so expensive.

pedrothelion123
10-22-2010, 05:40 PM
also, not fizzy gain at all, I like really smooth hard driven plexi kind of gain, and full chunky gain can be used too on occasion.

fly135
10-22-2010, 06:24 PM
The Jekyll & Hyde pedal will give you plenty of gain on the Hyde side and a good tubescreamer on the Jekyll side. The Hyde is similar to a Rat but not quite as bright (comparing it to my later model Rat2).

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with CL and eBay. All I can say is that both of them have saved me a ton of money.

bogg808
10-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Check out the Retro Sonic Distortion, Its based on a Rat.

LolCatGuitar
10-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Smooth high gain...
I use a rack EQ, a strat and a Vox Satchurator and I can get some pretty smooth tones. Along with some metal.

You can get a EQ and use it to EQ your pedal to your tastes.

AxSilentxLine
10-23-2010, 01:20 AM
I use my Blackstar HT-Dual through the clean channel of my 6505+ and it gives me amazing post hardcore/pop punk kind of tone with the power and punch of the Peavey power section. I don't know how it would go through a HRD 1x12 combo though

justinbob33
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Might want to check out the Klon Centaur pedal

ZeroChan
11-16-2010, 01:30 PM
also, not fizzy gain at all, I like really smooth hard driven plexi kind of gain, and full chunky gain can be used too on occasion.

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. Boost with your Blues Driver for chunky goodness.

Skysc
11-16-2010, 01:41 PM
You should check out the MI audio crunch box .. IMO best british high gain distortion ive tried . you get boutique without paying a overpruiced .

Nice pedal ,small in size , sweet design , plenty high gain sound ( but not metal , think a marshall high gain distortion ) . work wonder in the clean channel of a tube amp .

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTdoq7FmLhQ

you want a british high gain ( think marshall ) or u.s high gain ( think mesa boogie rectifier )

and i agree with people saying you also should try changing the p-u of the strat ..

if its single coil .. try a single coil size humbucker from dimarzio . if its humbucker .. try a seymour duncan sh-6 or any high gain dimarzio pick up .