Keith Richards was NuMetal before NuMetal and that makes me hate him

PDA

View Full Version : Keith Richards was NuMetal before NuMetal and that makes me hate him

Legion6789
10-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Every once in a while I get it in my head that I wanna learn a Stones song cause they sound pretty good, and every time I kill myself trying to learn it by ear and figure out a way to play it that doesn't turn my fingers into knots.

The whole time I'm asking myself, how the hell does he pull this off? And then, after I've tabbed it all out, I'll check it against some other tabs to see if I'm way off anywhere, and without fail it turns out he's using an open tuning, or a capo, or an open tuning with a capo...

Basically he tunes his guitar so that he can almost play a whole song with one finger... two max.

Just like all those bands in the late 90s/early 2000s that did everything in dropped D and all their songs were single finger power chords up and down the neck.

Hey Keith, maybe I don't want to re-tune my guitar every time I wanna play a Stones song, maybe I don't want to mess around with capos, maybe I just wanna take my guitar in standard tuning and play some songs.

randomhero93
10-28-2010, 07:51 PM
cool story, bro...?

K Dizzle
10-28-2010, 07:52 PM
When he wrote the songs I'm pretty sure he was more concerned with how good he could make it sound rather than how easy it would be for some kid 40 years later to play.

thejester
10-28-2010, 07:53 PM
nice rant. not really. just play the lead stuff then crybaby. thats usually in standard. the intertwining of guitars is what made that signature stones sound. dont hate on him because he explored with different tunings. that would put a whole lot of people in your hated nu-metal category. derek trucks ya he's super nu-metal, allman nu-metal pioneer, jimmy page is like totally the most nu-metal guy ever. this was a waste of my life but my response seemed necessary.

also i am definitely not a big fan of nu-metal but dont hurt on those guys either cmon man.

ChucklesMginty
10-28-2010, 07:53 PM
So you're saying Keith should have governed his song writing on the ease of other people learning them.

Legion6789
10-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Taking this too seriously, just a joke/observation.

Gordon_Gekko
10-28-2010, 08:10 PM
So dropped D = Nu Metal?

Reighnart
10-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Cool Story bro.

Play Ocean by John Butler if you like stuff in standard. It's pretty fun. Oh and Drifting by Andy Mckee too.

monkey_dancer
10-28-2010, 08:16 PM
He also plays without a low E a lot, which makes it even HARDER because every time I want to play a Rolling Stones song I have to take one of my strings off!!!! What the hell Keith? :p:

BrainDamage
10-29-2010, 08:19 PM
The whole time I'm asking myself, how the hell does he pull this off? And then, after I've tabbed it all out, I'll check it against some other tabs to see if I'm way off anywhere, and without fail it turns out he's using an open tuning, or a capo, or an open tuning with a capo...

Basically he tunes his guitar so that he can almost play a whole song with one finger... two max.
:facepalm:

Play around in open G. There are plenty of unique chord shapes that produce sounds that you just can't get in standard. Also, it's not really that big of a hassle...I mean, you're only retuning three strings.

mtforever
10-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I hate when people try to be innovative and create their own unique sounds :rolleyes:

however you shape it, it is impossible to get the same sounds that Keith got, and have the chords sound as full, rich and rhythmically interesting on a standard tuned guitar.

Edit: and this probably should of went in the rolling stones thread